Old July 25, 2003, 17:45   #1
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

Local Time: 00:17
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Alright Asher. Let's see how smart you are!
I've lost my Certificate of Authenticity number for a Windows 2000 CD. Is there any way I hack it from the CD myself or get support from Microsoft to retrieve it?
"And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17
Old July 25, 2003, 17:49   #2
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 09:17
Quote:
I've lost my Certificate of Authenticity number for a Windows 2000 CD.
Of course. We all did.
Old July 25, 2003, 17:49   #3
Zopperoni
Age of Nations TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 08:17
You mean the product key?

I don't know where you can find it directly in Windows, but I know this other way:

Download this, and install it.

Once installed, run it, and then go to: Operating System > Operating System > and it should be there under License Information > Product Key
Old July 25, 2003, 17:50   #4
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Local Time: 01:17
Run Winmx for a generator.
Old July 25, 2003, 17:54   #5
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

Problem. Windows 2000 is not even installed yet. I need to somehow retrieve the code from the CD.
"And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17
Old July 25, 2003, 17:58   #6
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

If the number could be found somewhere on the disk, why would there even be such certificate?

If you can't convince Microsoft you really did buy it, and have them send a new one (yeah, right), just find a number on the Internet... It's not like each and every individual CD has its own number on it, and consequently its own master disk.
Old July 25, 2003, 17:58   #7
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

What are you doing right now? What are you using? Work's? School's ?
Old July 25, 2003, 17:59   #8
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 06:17
Piracy is not condoned by Apolyton in any way.
Old July 25, 2003, 17:59   #9
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

Right now I'm using Windows XP.
Old July 25, 2003, 18:00   #10
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
It's not piracy. The CD is mine. I bought it about 3 years ago. I swear it.
Old July 25, 2003, 18:01   #11
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 22:17
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
"Sharing" things isn't piracy, it's communism. I thought you were for that Comrade
Old July 25, 2003, 18:03   #12
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

Do you have what some people will call a file share program on the machine?
If so, just do the search. An exe file, it won't take long. Save it, then scan it, then open it.
Old July 25, 2003, 18:19   #13
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

I just found out from Microsoft.com that I can retrieve the Product Key by giving Microsoft the Part No. written on the back of the CD to a Microsoft Customer Representative. Problem is, is how do I get in touch with one.
Old July 25, 2003, 18:21   #14
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

Can you not on-line?
Old July 25, 2003, 18:24   #15
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

I can't find it online.
Old July 25, 2003, 18:25   #16
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

I'm looking for FREE support btw. I don't want to pay for it.
Old July 25, 2003, 18:26   #17
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

Of course.
Looks like there would be a support link at the site.
Old July 25, 2003, 18:29   #18
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Mercator
If you can't convince Microsoft you really did buy it, and have them send a new one (yeah, right), just find a number on the Internet...
Oh, they'll gladly send you a new key... for about a €100 (regardless of what you can or can't prove)...
Old July 25, 2003, 18:29   #19
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Mr. Nice Guy, where did you buy it? A store? Some smaller shops will record the key and may be able to provide it to you.

Why do some shops record the key? I think you know why now.
Old July 25, 2003, 18:31   #20
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Re: Alright Asher. Let's see how smart you are!
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Nice Guy
I've lost my Certificate of Authenticity number for a Windows 2000 CD. Is there any way I hack it from the CD myself or get support from Microsoft to retrieve it?
I have notified Microsoft about your attempt to piracy, and they will respond within 15 days to audit your computer and press appropriate charges.
Old July 25, 2003, 18:32   #21
reds4ever
Prince

Local Time: 07:17
.....or just gimme your address and I'll mail you XP Pro for $30! :O)
Old July 25, 2003, 18:35   #22
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 02:17
I have quite a few original disks lying around, but no product keys. They've all managed to disappear over the years. Mostly Win95 disks, one Win98 disk, and an NT4. disk. I also gots WinME, but I still have the product key for that one.

As long as you're on, Ashy, where's a good place to go for Linux product reviews and recomendations. I've got Debian on my old eMachine and I want to start putting packages on it to make it useful.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old July 25, 2003, 18:43   #23
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

Emachine? OMG. My last was an emachine.
I didn't think there was another sucker out there.
Old July 25, 2003, 18:48   #24
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
As long as you're on, Ashy, where's a good place to go for Linux product reviews and recomendations. I've got Debian on my old eMachine and I want to start putting packages on it to make it useful.
I've no idea. When I get software on Linux, I know what I'm looking for...

Personally I'm looking for a new distro for my laptop. It's looking to be RH 10 beta with the 2.6.0 kernel, since it's much better for laptops...

Linux, just in 2.6.0, finally got support for spinning down the harddrive in battery saving mode ( ) and supports for throttling down the clockspeed on the CPU when idle (SpeedStep, PowerNow) .

Linux is only about 3-4 years behind Windows now with mobile technologies.
Old July 25, 2003, 19:01   #25
Victor Galis
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
Quote:
I've lost my Certificate of Authenticity number for a Windows 2000 CD.
Of course. We all did.
What? You mean you don't have 5 legal copies of Windows? (Not counting pre-Win2K stuff?)
Old July 25, 2003, 19:23   #26
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher

I've no idea. When I get software on Linux, I know what I'm looking for...
But how do you know?
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old July 25, 2003, 19:30   #27
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 20:17
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I started the ask Asher trend. I claim "firsties".
Old July 25, 2003, 19:34   #28
Clear Skies
Prince

Local Time: 06:17
Shotgun!
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Old July 25, 2003, 20:44   #29
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
But how do you know?
Because I use them at school, or friends tell me.
Old July 25, 2003, 20:50   #30
chequita guevara
Emperor

You are no help. I need Wraith.