Old July 25, 2003, 18:26   #1
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 00:17
Local Date: November 2, 2010
The Value of a Road
THE SCENE - A Makeshift Headquarters some miles outside the Leon border...

(Into the building comes a bloodied officer dragging a long sword behind him...his face, red and smeared with blood, is hidden to most everyone except Gastronome Neecap, a servant of Lord Toledo, who is present reviewing battle plans near a table surrounded by marshals...Neecap recognizes him at once as his brother, Sergeant Pugdog Neecap...the Sergeant walks to a general in control of the Santiago withdrawal, and begins to weep...)

Your roads are cut, sir. Damn me if I see why we cut them roads, but cut they are all the same. The Arabs couldn't have used our roads, but we were ordered, sir, ordered to cut them anyway. So, sir, we overturned some wagons and broke some dams. The road washed itself away... Away it did, away down the hillside, fences and gravel and all...

Yes, sir, we cut the bloody roads. They'll never be used again by no man, never, sir. We cut them. Damn me if I know why. I did my job, sir, I obeyed my orders. It isn't my place to question them, just to obey them. That I did, and did it well.

But the Arabs were on us immediately afterward. Two regiments we had up on that hill, cutting roads, sir. Two of them. The price of your precious road, sir. Yes, sir, the Arabs bounded up on their white horses and cut them all to pieces. Everyone one. Not a man alive did walk from that. Yes, many of those Arabs, they felt, we crushed their heads with our pikes, but they had their horses to bear, and they had their numbers. Huge numbers. Waves...

Yes, sir, I fear that we lost many a brave boy there, cutting that road.

So, sir, never forget the value of a man, never forget it. And never forget the value of a road. Two thousand men cut a road for you and died to do so. To annoy the enemy, we let them slaughter our boys. Those filthy devils cut their throats like pigs, men good as you or I, sir, but there they died all the same. God'll smite them for it, smite them like insects.

But they killed two regiments of boys. Never forget that. Never forget that our boys never surrendered, not a single one. I watched from a distance at this baleful slaughter. I wanted to go back there, but I'd been ordered to withdraw with my company. We couldn't have saved them. We had to watch, just to watch. Those roads washed away, and then the hills washed away, washed in the blood of our boys...

Those boys up there, sir, they died for us, for Spain. But most of all, they died for you and your damned road.

Remember their sacrifice.

(Then, Neecap recedes into the gloom of battle...)
Old July 25, 2003, 19:57   #2
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 08:17
That's a good story... but shouldn't it be called 'The Cost of a Road'?
- Phantom of the Opera
Old July 25, 2003, 20:00   #3
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 02:17
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
How many roads have ANY of us ever cut in SP? And if you did, the doing of it certainly didn't rip your heart out...

Damn, I LOVE the PTWDG!!
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old July 25, 2003, 20:01   #4
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 00:17
Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
Damn, I LOVE the PTWDG!!
Here, here!
Old July 26, 2003, 00:46   #5
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 01:17

That road shall be avenged!
Old July 26, 2003, 05:53   #6
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

I've seen the sight that this brave soldier described. It was horrible - gravel, scattered everywhere! It was horrible I say, HORRIBLE!!
- Phantom of the Opera
Old July 26, 2003, 10:03   #7
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

Local Time: 02:17
Don't worry... I'm sure a stack of shibering workers will come along eventually and replace the road.
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old July 26, 2003, 10:12   #8
Shiber
Emperor

Workers... HA! We've moved on to engineers long ago.
- Phantom of the Opera