Old July 25, 2003, 22:21   #1
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 22:18
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The formal names of the Celts and Ottomans
I think the formal names for those two civs should be different. I think that for the Ottomans the formal should be 'the Ottoman Empire'. Right now it's just 'Ottomans' I think. Which sounds more accurate: We have planted a spy in 'Ottomans' or We have planted a spy in 'the Ottoman Empire'?

And for the Celts, the formal is 'Celts'. Which is more accurate, We have invaded 'Celts' or We have invaded 'the Celts'?
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old July 25, 2003, 23:58   #2
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 01:18
Local Date: November 2, 2010
hmm. I never noticed that before. Assuming that changing them wouldn't mess up something else I think you're right and they should be changed.

Sell your photos
Old July 26, 2003, 00:43   #3
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

I agree. keeping it as Ottomans just makes me think about furniture. OTOH, in my games, if I'm not the Otts, they can hardly be called an empire. I can't leave them for long with that kick ass unit of theirs.
Old July 26, 2003, 05:14   #4
Solomwi
lifer
C3CDG Desolation RowPtWDG2 Monty PythonCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

In the histories I keep of my games, I've taken to calling the Ottoman lands "Turkey". Yes, I know it's not entirely accurate, but it's less typing than "the Ottoman Empire" (which, btw, I do use sometimes, pretty much interchangeably). Celtland never has had the same ring, but the best I've come up with is Gaul. Again, not entirely accurate, but it gets the job done.
"They say if you give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. But if you teach a man to fish...then he has to get a fishing license. But he doesn't have any money, so he has to get a job and enter the social security system. And he has to file taxes, and you're gonna audit the poor son of a ***** because he's not really good at math. You pull the IRS van up to his house and take everything. You take his velvet Elvis and his toothbrush and his penis pump and that all goes up for auction with the burden of proof on you because you forgot to carry the 1. All because you wanted to eat a fish, and you couldn't even cook the fish because you need a permit for an open flame."
- Doug Stanhope
Old July 26, 2003, 11:25   #5
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

You can say the same for others as well. The Roman Empire, The Aztec Empire, etc... Merely semantics.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old July 26, 2003, 12:21   #6
johncmcleod
Prince

I never really thought about the aztecs. But you can just call it Rome.

The problem with calling it Gaul is there is the Gaul tribe of barbarians. I think I'll just call them the Celts.

What would you guys do about the Aztecs? Just call them 'the Aztecs'?

I don't think they're just semantics, I think it is important.

Calling it Turkey would be accurate, they sometimes referred to the Ottoman Empire as Turkey even before it was Turkey.

And BTW, why isn't the Ottoman UU the janissary?
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old July 26, 2003, 12:30   #7
johncmcleod
Prince

I will also call the Iroquois 'the Iroquois Nation'.
Old July 26, 2003, 12:37   #8
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by johncmcleod
I will also call the Iroquois 'the Iroquois Nation'.
I was going to include that in my example to! "We have planted a spy in Iroquois" is right up there with "Ottomans". The only real difference with Rome is that it is an actual city. If their was a city named Ottoman or Iroquois it would make more sense. Just name your capital Ottomans and your all set.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old July 26, 2003, 12:46   #9
johncmcleod
Prince

How about calling the formal 'the Celtic lands'? It makes more sense than any other name and is more accurate than Celtland. We have planted a spy in the Celtic lands. We have invaded the Celtic lands. Doesn't sound great, but it's the best we've got.
Old July 26, 2003, 18:43   #10
Kaos XIII
Warlord

Well the Aztec country, can be called “Aztlan.” That’s what I do.

The Ottoman’s home, I call, “Türkiye.”

The Celtic nation, I name “Gaul”

The Iroquois actually call themselves the “Haudenosaunee” meaning "people of the long house." The Iroqu name is actually an insult, meaning “rattlesnakes.” As for their country, it could be “The League”, or “The League of Five Nations”, or “The League of Six Nations.”

Does anybody know what the Romans, called themselves in LATIN???
Old July 27, 2003, 14:29   #11
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

I beleive the latin name for Romans would be Romani. Though I may be wrong, I took Latin II more than a year ago.

Sell your photos
Old July 27, 2003, 16:38   #12
ISTANBUL
Settler

What really pisses me off more than the inaccurate names of the countries is the mispellings of some city names. (For the Ottomans, it's "Edirne", not "Edrine"). Civ always gives the old Greek spellings for some cities, but not for all in the Ottomans. It calls Antakya (Turkish) as "Antioch"(Greek), but it doesn't call Kayseri (Turkish) as "Caesaria". I think they should fix this (switch all either into Turkish or Greek) to prevent the transliterative discrepency.
Old July 27, 2003, 16:41   #13
Last Conformist
King

Local Time: 07:18
The really wierd one is "Mongols". Why not simply "Mongolia"?

I made a mod that had "Mongolia", "Celtia", "Turkey", "The Iroquois League", "The Aztec Empire".

"Aztlan" isn't good in my opinion - it's the Aztecs (supposed) original homeland, not their later empire. "Mexico" would be another alternative, refering, of course, not to the modern republic, but to the Valley of Mexico, which was the core of the Aztecs' empire.

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok