Old July 26, 2003, 12:38   #1
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 22:20
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The Iroquois shunned and favorite government
The Iroquois Nation was a confederacy, so why is their shunned government democracy and their favorite government despotism? It should be their favorite is a republic (or maybe democracy, what do you think?) and their shunned government monarchy (they hated the French). I already renamed their cities, and made their formal 'the Iroquois Nation' (sounds much better than just Iroquois, if you want explanation go to my other thread), but the leaders are still a problem. They are all from other tribes. The only other Iroquois leader I can think of besides Hiawatha is Sageyowatha. So I need at least two more.

Of course, the other solution is to just do what maybe was intended by FIRAXIS and just make a civ representing native Americans. Call the civ 'the Native Americans', name the cities after famous tribes, and keep the leaders. What do you guys think?
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old July 26, 2003, 12:46   #2
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 23:20
Quite frankly, I don't pay any attention to the "favorite" and "shunned" governments lists for each civilization...and I always play the Iroquois (changed to be the Wyandot) in my SP and MP LAN games ... though historically, I would think that the Iroquois favorite government should be Democracy.
Old July 26, 2003, 14:42   #3
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 08:20
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Re: The Iroquois shunned and favorite government
Quote:
Originally posted by johncmcleod
The Iroquois Nation was a confederacy, so why is their shunned government democracy and their favorite government despotism? It should be their favorite is a republic (or maybe democracy, what do you think?) and their shunned government monarchy (they hated the French). I already renamed their cities, and made their formal 'the Iroquois Nation' (sounds much better than just Iroquois, if you want explanation go to my other thread), but the leaders are still a problem. They are all from other tribes. The only other Iroquois leader I can think of besides Hiawatha is Sageyowatha. So I need at least two more.

Of course, the other solution is to just do what maybe was intended by FIRAXIS and just make a civ representing native Americans. Call the civ 'the Native Americans', name the cities after famous tribes, and keep the leaders. What do you guys think?

hi ,

, well the French had a monarchy but they evolved later on to a republic , ....

there is only one solution ; " the editor "

have a nice day
Old July 26, 2003, 15:12   #4
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 01:20
Maybe someone from Firaxis could drop by and answer that question?

I would think Despotism is a good government for them to shun.

Making a Native American civ is a good idea. Though I think it adds to the game to have unique civs rather then generalizations.

Sell your photos
Old July 26, 2003, 16:57   #5
Manya
Civilization III Democracy GameSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin Lovers
King

Local Time: 03:20
It doesn't really matter the shunned and favourite gov, the AI always choose Democracy or Republic as peace time and Monarchy or Communism for war
Old July 26, 2003, 17:24   #6
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 02:20
It does not seem that shunned and favored have that much of an influence on the game.
So until I see some impact, I don't care what they use.
Anyway don't try to make so much of the nits such as this and traits. They have only so many and if they made them all rational and logical there would be too many with the same values.
Old July 27, 2003, 14:15   #7
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 01:20
I thought that shunned and favorite governments affected how you were percieved by other civs.

Having a favorite government of a civ helps your relations with that civ. Am I wrong in thinking this?

Sell your photos
Old July 27, 2003, 14:51   #8
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 23:20
I believe you are right Sheik, but the way the AI acts at times, I'm guessing it's not that big of an issue.
Old July 27, 2003, 16:38   #9
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 00:20
Native Americans? Nah, most Native Americans, as you'd call them, don't take that term seriously. I know from experience that many of them (at least the Navajo, Pueblo, and Sioux that I've known) prefer American Indian!
Old July 27, 2003, 17:03   #10
Ribannah
Queen

Local Time: 07:20
Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
Re: The Iroquois shunned and favorite government
Quote:
Originally posted by johncmcleod
The Iroquois Nation was a confederacy, so why is their shunned government democracy and their favorite government despotism? It should be their favorite is a republic (or maybe democracy, what do you think?) and their shunned government monarchy (they hated the French).
Favourite should be Democracy, shunned Despotism.

Quote:
The only other Iroquois leader I can think of besides Hiawatha is Sageyowatha. So I need at least two more.
Here is a list of 10 Iroquois leaders:

Kryn
Garangula
Canassatego
Skenandoah
Handsome Lake
Cornplanter
Joseph Brant
Sagoyewatha
Ely Parker
Descaheh