Old July 26, 2003, 14:09   #1
Wraith
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 01:20
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Anime Apolyton
Zenryaku,

It's been a couple months, and Anime Expo has come and gone. Not as many big announcements as expected, so it's likely the studios have been saving up for the upcoming Otakon.

Still, there has been plenty of news. I'll start off talking with newly announced licenses.

Viz picked up both the anime and the manga for Hikaru no Go. This one was a bit of a surprise for me. The series was very popular in Japan, and I was expecting the manga to get licensed, but I was not expecting anyone to license the anime.
This one is a bit unusual for sports anime, in that the focus is on the game of go. Hikaru (yes, the title character) is rooting in his grandfather's attic for something to sell when he finds an old goban (go board). This board turns out to be haunted by Sai, the spirit of a Go player from ancient times, who's pretty much hanging around as a spirit in order to play more go. Unfortunately for him, he can only be seen by Hikaru, who doesn't really have any interest in the game...

ADV finally formally annouced that they've license Kino's Journey. I've only seen a few episodes of it, but it's one of the few shows that's aired in Japan recently I'm definitely getting when it comes out here.

Funimation's big announcement at AX was their license of Detective Conan. This is a very popular (and long running) show in Japan. I've never actually seen any of it, so I can't really comment further.

Bandai has confirmed their license of Banner of the Stars II, and they've even set the release date of the first disc for October. Unfortunately, we'll probably be seeing the same level of translation as the prior two series, which is to say, lots of problems.

The only other really big news in the anime license is that Pioneer does not have the third Tenchi OVA. They expect the company which does have it to announce soon.

Moving on to a few recent releases, Alien 9 came out not long ago. Definitely not a show for everyone, but I quite enjoy it. The DVD will leave you hanging, however, so be sure to also get the manga. There are a total of three volumes, two of which have been released in the US so far. CPM is planning a box set of the DVD and all three manga, so if you can wait that might be a good buy. CPM has also licensed the sequel manga, but no release date yet.

ADV released Voices of a Distant Star recently. Good show, but with one minor problem. There were originally two versions of the voice track done in Japanese; one by the director and his fiance, and one by professional VAs. Someone at the authoring house messed up, and instead included two copies of the latter track. ADV has set up a replacement program, but it's probably best to wait if you care about this.

ADV also released Sailor Moon series 1 uncut. Fans of the show have been waiting for it for some time now. It's not without problems (in part because of the original studio, Toei Animation), but it definitely isn't what was shown on the air in the US before.

Cowboy Bebop the movie came out on DVD. Just mentioning it.

FLCL volume 3 finally came out. SynchPoint continued doing an excellent job on the release, and the show is just as off-the-wall as ever. It's also scheduled to appear on Cartoon Network next month...

Next month is actually fairly light for new releases in the US. Other than a couple of continuing series, the only noteworthy (to me) title is Haibane Renmei (Careful of the blurb for the second DVD; there's some spoilers there). This one title more than makes up for any other lack of titles, of course. It is being released under the original title, and the first DVD is called "New Feather". Pioneer will also be releasing the soundtrack.
Just as an aside here, but Yoshitoshi ABe was at Anime Expo. Plenty of interesting information from his panel, of course, and he also donated some things to the charity auction. His signed doujins of Haibane (with a little drawing of Rakka saying "charity" on them) did pretty good. What was most impressive was a watercolor he did of Rakka, which was auctioned off for $6,000.

September gets moving more again, with Infinite Ryvius, Animation Runner Kuromi, Cat Soup, and the end of GTO.

In other news, ADV has started a manga division. They're starting out with some interesting titles, including the Azumanga Daioh manga and something amusingly titled "Cat Shite One". Yes, that is the real title.

ADV's also announced that the Anime Network will be moving into 15 new cities, but I don't have a list of which ones yet.

On the manga side of things, the other big news is that Tokyopop licensed Fruits Basket.

I mentioned it before, but more news has come out. The same old survey is up for Legend of the Galactic Heroes, but they had a panel at AX that cleared some things up. The price listed there is just the price of the original; they're expecting their release to be in line with US prices.

This really just leaves what's going on in Japan right now. It's actually pretty quiet. Twelve Kingdoms is still coming out, and it looks like the series will be at least 68 episodes.
Other than that, the most notable anime currently running is Scrapped Princess. I was a bit worried at first (the whole Soopi-kun running gag), but it's settled into a pretty decent fantasy-ish adventure with fun characters.

Wraith
"That's not how you spell genius!"
-- Washu ("Magical Project S")
Old July 26, 2003, 16:50   #2
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 23:20
Local Date: November 1, 2010
another anime fan! w00t!

Someone need to make an Anime Civ.
Old July 26, 2003, 18:25   #3
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Local Time: 02:20
How good is Haibane Renmei? I've seen the first episode and the artwork is stunning, and I like how they're not afraid to portray sometimes questionable scenes, but is it more than just rewriting the entire angel myth from another perspective?
Old July 26, 2003, 18:42   #4
Wraith
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

--"another anime fan! w00t! "

There's several around here. They just aren't all that communicative sometimes ^_^

--"How good is Haibane Renmei?"

Well, it is my favorite series, so I'd say very good. I can't promise you'd love it, of course. People who need action will hate it. If you like slice-of-life shows you should give it a try, though. It isn't one, but it does have a lot of the same general tone.

It really doesn't have anything to do with the angel myths, either. ABe was asked about how much influence there was on the series by Western religion, and he pretty much said none at all. Their appearance was chosen for aesthetic reasons. Which means that, like most anime, they've got wings because it's cute ^_^
(Not that he doesn't make good use of them, though. They do serve to highlight how the haibane are set apart, among other things. It's also the only show I've seen that addresses some of the practical issues of the whole people-with-wings motif.)

There is a real story in there, and it's very character driven. If you like the characters (you should at least have an idea about Reki and Rakka from the first episode), it'd be worth at least borrowing to see.

I know I'm being vague, but it's a hard series to describe without giving away spoilers. I've never said something like this about a show before, but if I had to use one word to sum it up, I'd use beautiful. And I don't just mean the artwork.

Wraith
"You've got pretty wings. Neither white nor black. A pretty gray."
-- Reki ("Haibane Renmei")
Old July 27, 2003, 00:10   #5
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I just watched Grave of the Fireflies. Haven't really seen any other series or films lately.

Planning on getting Haibane Renmei in a month or two. What's this about CN showing FLCL? That was the other series I was interested in...
Old July 27, 2003, 00:37   #6
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Re: Anime Apolyton
Quote:
Originally posted by Wraith
...and something amusingly titled "Cat Shite One".
Awr?? o_O

Damn, I had something to say and I forgot it.
Old July 27, 2003, 00:41   #7
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 00:20
has anyone yet heard of soul keeper yet?

care to tell me anything about it?

it seems to be the most tripped up thing I have ever seen

(a random episode of Lain makes more sense)

Jon Miller
Old July 27, 2003, 06:46   #8
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

Local Time: 06:20
If I didn't mention in one of the other Anime Apolyton threads, I got the Cowboy Bebop movie. Very good, IMHO. I may try the series out when I get the cash. I saw that X is a series, or was before the movie. I have the movie but I'm seriously considering picking up the series as it's only seven(?) episodes. Anyone seen it?
Old July 27, 2003, 09:47   #9
Wraith
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

--"I just watched Grave of the Fireflies."

That's a good one. Definitely not a movie for when you need to be cheered up, though ^_^

--"What's this about CN showing FLCL?"

Next month. Rather sooner than I had though, actually. Looks like they've got it scheduled for August 4th, starting at midnight (ET, PT). It'll be the dub version, of course, but it's a decent dub as far as I've listened to it.

--"Awr?? o_O"

It's actually an online webcomic.
http://www.zdnet.co.jp/games/ga/cat
It's sort of a Watership Down meets Vietnam thing. I just had to mention it for the title, which ADV is apparently not going to change. I just wish I could see the looks on retailer's faces when they spot that on the list.

--"has anyone yet heard of soul keeper yet?"

Heard of it, but haven't seen any of it. From what I've read it's a pretty standard sci-fi story, really.

--"I have the movie but I'm seriously considering picking up the series as it's only seven(?) episodes"

I've seen a couple episodes of it. I'm pretty sure it's a 26 episode series, but 7 may be all that's out at this point. It seemed okay, but it's a title I'd want to borrow and see more of before buying.

Wraith
"Kids: You do this, YOU DIE."
-- ("Just Kidding, Mr. Vampirian")
Old July 28, 2003, 09:05   #10
Harry Seldon
King

I also watched Spirited Away and was impressed. Very good story and animation. Picked up The Crying Freeman and wished I had saved my six bucks on rental fees. I watched something else, too, about mutants and humans battling each other. Involved a quest to India, bad dialog, and lots of swearing along with a rock soundtrack. Wasn't very good.
Old July 28, 2003, 20:03   #11
Wraith
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

--"I also watched Spirited Away and was impressed."

Anything by Miyazaki is worth a try. There'll be more releases of his films in the US by Disney next year. Looks like Porco Rosso (my favorite) is next on the list.

Edit:
Nausicaa is finally getting an R2 DVD release. Looks like Studio Ghibli is really getting into the extras thing, too. 21,000 yen...

Haven't seen Crying Freeman, or even heard much about it. What I have heard is negative, so your comments fit right in.
The other doesn't even sound familiar.

Wraith
"Then should "Blue Five" be Jackie Chan or something?"
-- Osaka ("Azumanga Daioh")
Old July 29, 2003, 02:22   #12
SnowFire
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

That's a good one. Definitely not a movie for when you need to be cheered up, though ^_^

Au contraire, monsieur. After watching the cheez-whiz sentimentality of Laputa: Castle in the Sky, I asked my roommate if I could see the most depressing movie in his collection that was good. And thus I watched GoF, and felt much better after watching some extremely high quality depressing cinema. At least then I had a nice authentic depression, as opposed to the one you get after watching a terrible movie that you can't MST3K.
Old July 29, 2003, 07:58   #13
Wraith
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Looks like someone's put the FLCL commercial off of CN online.
http://adultswim.animationinsider.net/

It's the first one under Newest Downloads. The one with the kid in the blue sweater and the person in the pompadour and the vaguely Elvisy outfit.

I've never watched it in the dub version, but I have heard a lot of good things about the dub. It shouldn't be bad. I am kind of curious what kind of editing it'll get. For time, for sure, but there's nothing really straight out objectionable to cut. Lots of innuendo, but nothing explicit.

--"At least then I had a nice authentic depression, as opposed to the one you get after watching a terrible movie that you can't MST3K"

You have a good point there. I felt something simliar after having to watch Pirates of the Caribbean. Had to come home and watch some Twelve Countries to get rid of that one.

Wraith
"Nothing unusual ever happens here. Only the ordinary."
-- Naota ("FLCL")
Old July 29, 2003, 08:54   #14
Harry Seldon
King

Quote:
The other doesn't even sound familiar.
I'll try to get a name on it tonight or tomorrow so everyone can avoid it in the future.
Old July 29, 2003, 13:57   #15
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I saw Voices From a Distant Star. I was rather disappointed, but only because of the length. It was so good I wanted much, much more.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old July 29, 2003, 14:17   #16
Harry Seldon
King

Was it a movie or a series?
Old July 29, 2003, 19:07   #17
Wraith
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

--"Was it a movie or a series?"

An OVA. Single half-hour episode. It's an interesting project for several reasons, not the least of which is that it was animated entirely by one guy on his home PC. He did some other shorts before it, one of which is on the DVD (Her and Her Cat; title is a parody of His and Her Circumstances. Works better in Japanese. Kanojou to Kanojou no Neko and Kareshi Kanojou no Jijou respectively). He and his fiance even did the voice acting for the first go-round, but it got picked up by a studio (and then licensed by ADV).

Chegitz, if you like it you should probably check out Gunbuster. US Manga finally said they were going to release it on DVD...

He's working on another show, Beyond the Clouds, now.

Wraith
"How many people here have telekenetic powers? Raise my hand."
-- Emo Philips.
Old July 30, 2003, 08:54   #18
Harry Seldon
King

Wraith,

How do you keep so current on anime? I know you've gone to the major annual expo (where is that, by the way? Texas?) but you seem to be a walking encyclopedia of anime information so I'd hazard a guess that it's more than that.
Old July 30, 2003, 08:56   #19
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 17:20
Interest in the subject is half the battle.

That still doesn't explain the other half though. (sense motive: 19)
Old July 30, 2003, 19:49   #20
Wraith
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

--"How do you keep so current on anime?"

As Skanky points out, I'm quite interested in it. So I keep up with it. If you're looking for specific resources, the best place to start is Anime on DVD (www.animeondvd.com). Very comprehensive collection of pretty much everything that's happening on DVD in the US. Also consider Newtype USA for getting a look into what's happening in Japan (unless you can read Japanese, of course, in which case you can just get Newtype).

It doesn't hurt to know a few people in Japan ^_^ Failing that, there are anime clubs all over the place. If you can find one near you to join, there's generally people involved who are pretty up to date.

--" I know you've gone to the major annual expo"

I've gone to the major one for Texas, which is A-Kon. I haven't been to the major annual expo, which is Anime Expo in California. I would have dearly loved to have gone this year, since Yoshitoshi ABe was a guest, but what with buying a house I couldn't really afford it.

The other major annual expo is coming up soon, too. Otakon. AX is really the big industry con, and Otakon is the big fan con.

--"That still doesn't explain the other half though. (sense motive: 19)"

Naisho... ^_^

Wraith
"Sore wa himitsu desu."
-- Xellos ("Slayers Next")
Old July 31, 2003, 00:27   #21
Harry Seldon
King

Fair enough. Most of my experience comes through major distributors, like Manga. I'll have to try some of your suggestions. I don't speak Japanese but my cousin is in the US Navy and dating a Japanese girl so I may be able to get some help from that front.
Old August 3, 2003, 18:41   #22
Wraith
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Just a bump to remind people that FLCL starts on Cartoon Network tomorrow night.

I'll probably be posting again next weekend here since Otakon will be running.

Wraith
"Whaaat? And it's just getting interesting! Boo!"
-- Rabi-en-Rose ("Di Gi Charat")
Old August 6, 2003, 21:42   #23
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

FLCL is definitely the weirdest thing I've ever seen.

Blue Gender also looks pretty good from what I can see.
Old August 6, 2003, 21:58   #24
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

FLCL is awesome.

Blue Gender is okay, but the main character is an annoying, whiny little *****.
Old August 6, 2003, 23:12   #25
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

I like fooly cooly

E gender's main character is too sucky

Jon Miller
Old August 7, 2003, 03:18   #26
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

What do you expect, him to come out of his pod, grab a six-pack and a chain-gun and have at 'em?
Old August 7, 2003, 03:25   #27
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

no

I would expect some freaking out

so that is ok

and being somewhat shell shocked

but the shear stupidity is what makes him sucky

Jon Miller
Old August 7, 2003, 04:18   #28
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 17:20
I'd just like to report that I have been watching NGE recently. I like it so-far.
My original plan to just watch the first episode and then go to sleep didn't go too well though. I ended up watching them until 6am.
Old August 7, 2003, 13:34   #29
Jon Shafer

I did that the first time I watched Eva.

Speaking of which, Shinji is worse than what's-his-face, and that never stops people from likeing Eva.
Old August 7, 2003, 14:00   #30
Harry Seldon
King

Quote:
I'll try to get a name on it tonight or tomorrow so everyone can avoid it in the future.
Saiyuki was its name. Very bad. What's FLCL? The acronym looks familiar but a name escapes me.

Trip, what anime does your avatar come from?