Old August 7, 2003, 14:04   #31
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 02:20
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Harry Seldon
What's FLCL? The acronym looks familiar but a name escapes me.
Fooly Cooly.

Quote:
Trip, what anime does your avatar come from?
Chrono Trigger for the PSX.
Old August 7, 2003, 16:11   #32
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

Local Time: 06:20
Quote:
Chrono Trigger for the PSX.

That's either some character art or better graphics than most PS2 games. Very cool!
Old August 7, 2003, 16:16   #33
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

Yep. Animated cut scenes were added to the PSX version. That's the only difference between the SNES and PSX types.
Old August 7, 2003, 21:16   #34
Wraith
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 01:20
--"FLCL is definitely the weirdest thing I've ever seen."

Ah, don't worry. Puni Puni Poemi comes out here soon.

--"My original plan to just watch the first episode and then go to sleep didn't go too well though."

Heh. The last thing you need to do is watch the end of that series while sleep-deprived...

--"Saiyuki was its name."

Okay, I have heard of that one. Bishounen fluff is the politest term I've heard used.

--"What's FLCL?"

Well, FLCL is the name. You may also see it listed as Furi Kuri or Fooly Cooly.

Wraith
My parents went to Sol 3 and all I got was this stupid human
Old August 7, 2003, 21:20   #35
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by Wraith
Ah, don't worry. Puni Puni Poemi comes out here soon.
Uh oh, I guess I retract my previous statement then...
Old August 8, 2003, 14:07   #36
Harry Seldon
King

What's that about? Any english language links you could pass on?
Old August 8, 2003, 14:36   #37
Jon Shafer

http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showt...threadid=92525
Old August 8, 2003, 15:51   #38
Harry Seldon
King

Oh, ****! That just about got me fired. My boss was sitting right next to me when I opened that link. I've never seen Excel Saga. I don't think that one's available for rent around here. I'm fairly sure Puni Puni Poemi won't be either.
Old August 8, 2003, 16:09   #39
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

Shinji is definitely not as bad as the main character of Blue Gender. I really liked the first two episodes of BG but the one they showed last night was kind of... blah.

FLCL is just amazing although I've already missed episode 4 and the first half of episode 3.
Albert Speer
Old August 8, 2003, 16:29   #40
Jon Shafer

Shinji kind of floats around. Usually he's semi-normal, but every now and then he just seeps away as anything close to a strong-willed character, especially in the final movie. At least Marlene didn't have to - literally - drag Yugi around by the arm.
Old August 8, 2003, 17:19   #41
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

At least Shinji has a better haircut.
Albert Speer
Old August 8, 2003, 18:23   #42
Wraith
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

--"Uh oh, I guess I retract my previous statement then..."

Cat Soup (Nekojiru-sou) is about to come out, too, IIRC...

--"What's that about?"

Hehe. Think Trip gave you a bit of a heads up, but it's pretty much a magical girl show parody. It's an OVA, only two episodes. This is by the Excel Saga team, which they did after they felt that they hadn't gone far enough with Excel Saga. No TV censors to worry about.

They also did another TV series, Jungle wa Itsumo Hare Nochi Guu (The Jungle was Always Nice, then Along Came Guu), which also has two OVAs now. This is another one way up their on the out-there scale. The main character, Guu, has two high school students living in her stomach.

--"I've never seen Excel Saga."

It's available, but I don't know if any of the rental chains carry it. If you're a member of one of those online DVD rental places like Netflix or GreenCine they might have it.

--"FLCL is just amazing although I've already missed episode 4 and the first half of episode 3."

Don't worry, they're going to rerun the series. It's CN. They always rerun the series.

Wraith
"If Guu's having fun everything's all right."
-- Guu ("Jungle wa Itsumo, Hale Nochi Guu")
Old August 14, 2003, 10:12   #43
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 17:20
Just finished watching episode 26 (and all the ones before, of course). Twas enjoyable, but I was expecting it to be more confusing than it was. Anyway, what is the 27th episode, considering the series ends in number 26?

EDIT: I'm talking about NGE, btw.
Old August 14, 2003, 10:48   #44
Jon Shafer

There's no 27th episode, but there's a movie which has episodes 25' and 26' (which basically explains everything that REALLY happened during 25 and 26).

FLCL just ended last night. Then again, it is only 6 episodes.
Old August 14, 2003, 11:21   #45
Harry Seldon
King

Isn't there a final movie for NGE coming out in September here in the States?
Old August 14, 2003, 11:39   #46
Jon Shafer

I'm certain End of Evangelion has already been released here.
Old August 14, 2003, 11:42   #47
Harry Seldon
King

Have you seen it yet?
Old August 14, 2003, 11:45   #48
Jon Shafer

I've seen the Japanese version. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing my friend having bought it when it came out last fall.
Old August 14, 2003, 12:34   #49
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
I'm certain End of Evangelion has already been released here.
I saw it at Blockbuster a long time ago. Well over a year ago.
Old August 14, 2003, 13:08   #50
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 00:20
I own the End of Evangelion DVD.
Old August 14, 2003, 13:18   #51
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Quote:
September gets moving more again, with Infinite Ryvius, Animation Runner Kuromi, Cat Soup, and the end of GTO.
I have started watching GTO and it's really funny. Similar comedy to Trigun. Apparently, some of the later episodes are repetitive, however. But until I get to those, I'm having fun.

I've also been watching Love Hina. Cute and funny, but some eps aren't very good.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old August 14, 2003, 14:09   #52
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

I love FLCL

Jon Miller
Old August 14, 2003, 14:17   #53
Harry Seldon
King

Quote:
I saw it at Blockbuster a long time ago. Well over a year ago
I guess you're right. Looks like it came out in 1997.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...371676-9789459

After seeing Death and Rebirth I think I'd have to go back and watch the series from the beginning. D&R made little sense until the very end.
Old August 14, 2003, 14:22   #54
Jon Shafer

Rebirth is actually the first half of EoE.
Old August 15, 2003, 07:36   #55
Wraith
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

--"Anyway, what is the 27th episode,"

Well, it's pretty much been covered, but to sum up:

26 TV episodes.
Death and Rebirth (recap of the show, plus Rebirth is almost the same as the first part of End of Evangelion)
End of Evangelion (final movie; basically covers what else was going on in episodes 25 and 26).

There's also Director's Cut versions of several episodes (everything after 20, I think) which ADV actually licensed and will be releasing eventually. There's a few minutes worth of extra footage, including some scenes that would help clarify part of EoE.

Everything except the Director's Cut has been out for a while.

--"I have started watching GTO and it's really funny."

It's pretty amusing. It does have some problems, but overall it's a pretty decent series.

--"I've also been watching Love Hina."

Some eps aren't very good? This was my worst anime buy ever. I decided to try it since there was so much good stuff being said about it and it turned out to be pretty darn bad. Lots of excessive violence and fanservice, but not much else.

Wraith
I am the very model of a Heroine Barbarian
Old August 15, 2003, 09:21   #56
Harry Seldon
King

Quote:
Lots of excessive violence
Excessive violence is bad? I have to admit that's one of the things that draws me into some anime. I remember the first time I saw the initial ninja massacre scene from ninja scroll and thinking that it had to be one of the most wicked evil things I have ever seen.
Old August 31, 2003, 01:05   #57
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

I guess this is the latest Anime Apolyton?

Anyway, I just finished the Crest of the Stars (Seikai no Monshou)/Battle Flag of the Stars (Seikai no Senki)/Battle Flag of the Stars II (Seikai no Senki II) series and can't recommend this space opera enough. Fabulous. Totally stoked. The pace of the series is fairly slow, so some might be turned off by that.

As I understand it, Crest of the Stars and Battle Flag of the Stars are both available in R1 DVD. I watched a fansub of Battle Flag of the Stars II, which apparently was released in high definition in Japan (not sure--in the credits, it appears to have HD references, and have heard that some anime is now being released in Japan's analog HDTV format). Don't think it has been licensed yet in the States, although Wraith might know more about that. It should make an excellent transfer to DVD, or any other higher definition format available by that time.

Apparently, there is another novel out in the series on which the anime is based. It hasn't made it to anime yet in Japan.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old August 31, 2003, 01:07   #58
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

I disliked Ninja Scroll

JHonM MIler
Old August 31, 2003, 01:22   #59
JCG
Prince

The extremely chopped up / censored / muted / ridiculized version of Saint Seiya (an 80's anime) was just shown on Cartoon Network as "Knights of the Zodiac" some hours ago, btw.

Way to make something dated even worse, DiC.

I think I'm going to get myself some more Naruto to make up for the wasted time...
Old August 31, 2003, 01:35   #60
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

I just saw the Samurai X OVAs, the ones detailing Kenshin's early life, having seen ABSOLUTELY NO rorouni kenshin stuff before this. I thought the artwork was gorgeous, and the plot was pretty engaging, but it was all a bit hard to follow, and I had troubling caring for some of the characters. Also, I had trouble with some of the messages of the thing. Overall, I found it good, but flawed.

I've also recently seen the first two episodes of Serial Experiments: Lain - I'll be frank and say I found the first two episodes completely engaging and masterfully done. The animation is extremely professional, and the plot is hinted at, more than it is explicated. The series deals very seriously with themes of death and isolation in an age of the internet. Totally fascinating stuff.
Albert Speer