Old July 26, 2003, 17:06   #1
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 03:21
Local Date: November 2, 2010
This makes me laugh.. PETA at it again
http://www.cnn.com/2003/BUSINESS/07/...eut/index.html

Quote:
NEW YORK (Reuters) -- Singer Paul McCartney has joined an animal rights campaign against fast food chain KFC, urging the company to ensure better treatment for chickens in a U.S. newspaper advertisement on Thursday.

"If KFC suppliers treated dogs or cats the way they treat chickens, they could be charged with the crime of cruelty to animals," said a letter signed by McCartney on behalf of the group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA).

"I am a vegetarian because I realize that even little chickens suffer pain and fear," the letter said. "These remarkable animals are deserving of at least a little kindness."

The letter appeared in the Louisville Courier-Journal, a newspaper in the hometown of KFC and its parent company, Yum Brands Inc. It was addressed to Yum Chief Executive David Novak.

KFC spokeswoman Bonnie Warschauer said the fast food chain was committed to the humane treatment of chickens.

"Paul McCartney is a music legend and he's entitled to his opinion, but we think he's misinformed," she said in a statement. "While PETA would prefer a world of vegetarians, most people disagree, so we think PETA should follow one of Sir Paul's songs, and just 'Let it be.'"

Earlier in July, PETA filed a lawsuit against KFC, accusing the company of making misleading statements on its Web site regarding how the chickens it sells are treated. PETA contends that the chickens KFC buys from suppliers are abused through drugging, feeding and slaughter practices.

In May, KFC announced plans to adopt more humane poultry-handling guidelines that address the breeding, hatching and raising of chickens. At the time, PETA said the guidelines did not go far enough to prevent cruelty to the animals.

PETA has previously won changes from other fast food chains, including the largest, McDonald's Corp.
Who the **** cares if the chickens aren't being treated well.. they are going to be served up and deep fried anyways. And McCartney is wrong. PETA is wrong and I agree with the statement made by the statement of the KFC spokesperson.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old July 26, 2003, 17:09   #2
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 06:21
I believe While I do eat meat, the animals I'm eating should not suffer a slow painful death. They should be killed quickly and painlessly.
Old July 26, 2003, 17:13   #3
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 01:21
Many of the PETA people will walk by a person living on the street and not even notice them... but heaven forbid an animal might be treated harshly before it gets killed and eaten.

While I'm not a fan of treating animals poorly, some of these PETA people are the biggest damn hypocrits around... screw em....
Old July 26, 2003, 17:14   #4
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
I believe While I do eat meat, the animals I'm eating should not suffer a slow painful death. They should be killed quickly and painlessly.
You know cows cannot suffer a slow painful death.. if they do their nerves release this toxin that cause the meat to get super tough. I learned that from one of my Argentine friends whose dad worked as CEO of a major agricultural industry.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old July 26, 2003, 17:15   #5
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ming
Many of the PETA people will walk by a person living on the street and not even notice them... but heaven forbid an animal might be treated harshly before it gets killed and eaten.

While I'm not a fan of treating animals poorly, some of these PETA people are the biggest damn hypocrits around... screw em....
I had enough of their hypocritical crap too... and I will continue eating meat, so I will raise my great middle finger to them where ever I see them.
Old July 26, 2003, 17:26   #6
Soul Survivor
Settler

I hope that within the next century we don't have to breed these animals just to die...... but until then I think something should be done to make sure they aren't being terribly mistreated during their lives

but until then I will continue eating meat.... although I doubt KFC actually uses much meat in their food anyway
Old July 26, 2003, 17:27   #7
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Soul Survivor
I hope that within the next century we don't have to breed these animals just to die...... but until then I think something should be done to make sure they aren't being terribly mistreated during their lives

but until then I will continue eating meat.... although I doubt KFC actually uses much meat in their food anyway
Well KFC did take measures to ensure better protection for the chickens but it is never enough for PETA.
Old July 26, 2003, 17:29   #8
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by Fez

You know cows cannot suffer a slow painful death.. if they do their nerves release this toxin that cause the meat to get super tough. I learned that from one of my Argentine friends whose dad worked as CEO of a major agricultural industry.
Really? Well thats good.

And yeah, PETA is filled with a ton of hypocrits.
Old July 26, 2003, 17:30   #9
Soul Survivor
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Fez

Well KFC did take measures to ensure better protection for the chickens but it is never enough for PETA.
bah! i still refuse to believe their food is made of real chickens......
Old July 26, 2003, 17:32   #10
Giancarlo
King

Quote:

bah! i still refuse to believe their food is made of real chickens......
I actually think it is.. I like it at least.. One of the few fast food places I enjoy going to.
Old July 26, 2003, 17:33   #11
Soul Survivor
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Fez

I actually think it is.. I like it at least.. One of the few fast food places I enjoy going to.
i've tasted chicken before..... and KFC is not chicken
Old July 26, 2003, 17:34   #12
Giancarlo
King

Quote:

i've tasted chicken before..... and KFC is not chicken
I tasted chicken too and I will have to dispute you on that.

It isn't great, but it is not bad.
Old July 26, 2003, 17:40   #13
Zulu Elephant
Prince

Quote:
Who the **** cares if the chickens aren't being treated well.. they are going to be served up and deep fried anyways
lol

and Fez replaces Fast Eddie in my sig...
Old July 26, 2003, 17:40   #14
CorpusScorpius
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:21
PETA= People Eating Tasty Animals
Old July 26, 2003, 17:45   #15
Gibsie
Civilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

http://www.boners.com/grub/790092.html
Old July 26, 2003, 18:03   #16
Whaleboy
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessMac
Prince

I'm going veggie!!

Ok, mainly cos I need to lose weight but hey.

If we must eat animals then why not treat them well? What is the coherent argument for treating animals badly?
Old July 26, 2003, 18:06   #17
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by elijah
If we must eat animals then why not treat them well? What is the coherent argument for treating animals badly?
Well we have to treat cows in a good way or the meat will taste like crap. Chickens on the other hand..
Old July 26, 2003, 18:07   #18
Gibsie
Emperor

Quote:
If we let them know that we are concerned about their welfare they will rise up and overhrow us. Haven't you read Animal Farm?!
Old July 26, 2003, 18:08   #19
The Emperor Fabulous
Civ4 SP Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 23:21
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Ming
There is no way to back up that statement.
Old July 26, 2003, 18:14   #20
Gibsie
Emperor

Sure there is, haven't you heard of hyperbole?
Old July 26, 2003, 18:14   #21
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous
There is no way to back up that statement.
No... no "exact proof"... but in discussions with many of them, and watching how they act, they care more about the plight of animals then they do human beings... With all the starving and mistreated people in this world, I find it sick that they are more concerned about animal abuse...

Again... animal abuse is bad... I love animals... but PETA is full of a bunch of hypocrits... They wear their leather shoes and purses... and many eat meat...
Old July 26, 2003, 18:15   #22
Whaleboy
Prince

I suppose the key fundamental debate here is the question of consciousness and individuality. OK, I'm prone to look for the fundamental stuff but its better perspective than getting bogged down in specifics.

It is my belief that until we can prove a species of animals to be effectively a biological machine (no greater than the sum of its cells, in other words, with no consciousness (I think therefore I am)), then we must assume (Heisenberg style) that it may be intelligent, and afford it at least basic rights, namely that to live etc. As far as this debate is concerned, the issue of ownership is also key. Are we to say that we can "own" an animal as if it were an inanimate object. Obviously if it was conscious (lets all get over the notion of inherent human superiority), then "owning" it would be similar to slavery, and thus imo, unacceptable. The rights afforded of course would be proportional to its intelligence, Maslows hierarchy of needs as a rough guide, which of course raises the question of who is to judge if the animal cannot judge and communicate for itself. Meantime, theres always tofu!
Old July 26, 2003, 18:17   #23
Whaleboy
Prince

Ming is correct, many PETA members are hypocritical, and without being Vegan (I'm working on it) its often hard not to be, unless we assume intent to be more important than act (a sort of John Lennon, Let it be kinda thing). However, I'm not a member of PETA, so I'm free to moan!
Old July 26, 2003, 18:20   #24
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 23:21
Anyone remember the Beef Vat from CTP I? Now that's how we ought to be doing it!
Old July 26, 2003, 18:21   #25
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 20:21
I had chicken wings for lunch. No kidding.
Old July 26, 2003, 18:23   #26
Gibsie
Emperor

I had chicken selects, and got a Transformer with it. Wordlife. *wins*
Old July 26, 2003, 18:25   #27
Whaleboy
Prince

Besides, you shouldn't eat at KFC anyway!! I have this fear that eating at fast food restaurants will result in me consuming the contents of someones prostate.
Old July 26, 2003, 18:26   #28
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 20:21
Quote:
I suppose the key fundamental debate here is the question of consciousness and individuality. OK, I'm prone to look for the fundamental stuff but its better perspective than getting bogged down in specifics.

It is my belief that until we can prove a species of animals to be effectively a biological machine (no greater than the sum of its cells, in other words, with no consciousness (I think therefore I am)), then we must assume (Heisenberg style) that it may be intelligent, and afford it at least basic rights, namely that to live etc. As far as this debate is concerned, the issue of ownership is also key. Are we to say that we can "own" an animal as if it were an inanimate object. Obviously if it was conscious (lets all get over the notion of inherent human superiority), then "owning" it would be similar to slavery, and thus imo, unacceptable. The rights afforded of course would be proportional to its intelligence, Maslows hierarchy of needs as a rough guide, which of course raises the question of who is to judge if the animal cannot judge and communicate for itself. Meantime, theres always tofu!
How about fetus? How about a just born baby?
Old July 26, 2003, 18:28   #29
Ming
lifer
Retired

One of the local papers poked some fun at a local PETA event a ways back by publishing the menu... Needless to say, meat was a on it... they then included pictures of the organizers... and matched up the shoes, belts, and purses to manufactureres... and guess what... real leather... hypocrites
Old July 26, 2003, 18:28   #30
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 00:21
PETA needs to get their priorities straight: The pop machines at the KFCs here don't have enough carbonation.

How about we make human's lives better before chickens, da?