Old July 26, 2003, 18:01   #1
Martin the Dane
Prince

Local Time: 07:21
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Archialeago or not?
I started a game selecting the middle land-coverage setting for archipelago, but so fra I have found 6 of the 8 known civs on one "island" spaning 80% of the way from south to north and 30-50% of the way east-west. Not excactly an arcipelago, so I tried creating a number of games and using the Civ3MultiTool revealed the terrain. What I found was that archipelago does not seem to mean "a group of islands", but more like "interconnected-islands-continents". I then created a game with 3G years and one with 5G years, in both cases I got continents.

Is there a setting that ensures islands with room for 1-2 starting positions? I prefer to have development time before running into and dealing with neighbours. Call it peasfull early expansion.
Old July 26, 2003, 21:02   #2
trickey
Civilization III Democracy GameNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

Local Time: 02:21
I don't think there is any way to ensure an archipelago turns out to be an actual archipelago.

Try setting land coverage to it's lowerst percent, that should make the islands smaller.
Old July 27, 2003, 00:09   #3
Lord_Davinator
PtWDG Roleplay
Warlord

Local Time: 11:51
ya hte creation itself is random... the computer does its best to mimic an archipelago... lower land percentage would definitely help
Old July 27, 2003, 01:16   #4
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Seems that map size may play a part in this? You guys that use the editor, could you determine if that is true?

I have better luck getting a scattering of islands with a world size HUGE/Small land size/Archipelago. Good for Naval Warfare!

Standard world size or smaller always gives me a bunch of linked landmasses on Archipelago.
Old July 27, 2003, 01:24   #5
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

dp -- sorry, it won't let me delete
Old July 27, 2003, 12:59   #6
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Bigger maps are better generated.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old July 27, 2003, 14:22   #7
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 01:21
Quote:
Bigger maps are better generated.
Yep. Same algorithms but a better result.

Try playing a bigger map or just use the editor to generate one and then if you like the look of it play it. I know that takes away from the fun, but if you really want to ensure that the game is archipegalo then you have to look at the map.

Sell your photos