Old July 26, 2003, 22:29   #1
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

Local Time: 06:22
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Hollywood's new message: Be good, moral upstanding citizens and quit ripping us off..
After decades of promoting the self serving, immoral rebel image, Hollywood finds itself the victim of crime on a truly huge scale. People are downloading movies from the internet by the hundreds of thousands, and watching them for free. Immoral? Certainly. It's stealing. Stealing is bad, you recall it's even one of the 'ten commandments'. Anyway, I think Hollywood is reaping as it has sewn.

I just got through watching a Hollywood bigwig on the news explaining how being law abiding is a cornerstone of our civilization. Well I agree. I just never expected to hear such stuff from Hollywood. I've seen big brother hating stars who whine that the law isn't protecting them. Well, it's a law abiding citizenry who create a system by which they are governed. If you undermine the morality of the citizenry as Hollywood has done, don't be too shocked when the self serving buggers rip you off first chance they get.
Old July 26, 2003, 22:41   #2
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 00:22
I'd post a three-page argument on how the concept of intellectual property as a whole is flawed, but my apathy exceeds my caring. Thus:

HOLY WODE SCUKS!!!!!!!!!111
Old July 26, 2003, 22:44   #3
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

mrM, I don't wear Apolytonwear because posts don't count in the OT.
Old July 26, 2003, 22:45   #4
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 01:22
Quote:
Originally posted by mrmitchell
I'd post a three-page argument on how the concept of intellectual property as a whole is flawed,
That'd be a whole lot of twaddle.
Old July 26, 2003, 22:47   #5
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 20:22
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Let's napalm their little 90210 babies.
Old July 26, 2003, 22:50   #6
GePap
Emperor

You criminals, you provide nothing, NOTHING, and yet you want to destroy Hollywood!

Think of all the hours of joy they have given you, those poor souless bastards.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old July 26, 2003, 23:01   #7
Hot Mustard
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty Python
King

Local Time: 02:22
Re: Hollywood's new message: Be good, moral upstanding citizens and quit ripping us o
Quote:
Originally posted by Lancer
Re: Hollywood's new message: Be good, moral upstanding citizens and quit ripping us off..
Dear Hollywood,

You first.

Old July 26, 2003, 23:18   #8
Victor Galis
Emperor

Well, at least they're not the RIAA.
Old July 26, 2003, 23:23   #9
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Yeah. Instead, they're the MPAA. The same thing for a different industry.
Old July 26, 2003, 23:29   #10
Lancer
Deity

Look at the bright side, at least nobody has asked 'what are the 'ten commandments' of which you speak? Something Kennedy said?
Old July 26, 2003, 23:33   #11
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Hollywood deserves it. Plain and simple.

VIVA LA REVOLUCION!!!
Old July 26, 2003, 23:33   #12
red_jon
NationStates
King

Oh, no! You mean those celebrities will be a tiny percentage less wealthy? Good God!
Old July 26, 2003, 23:50   #13
Victor Galis
Emperor

Quote:
Look at the bright side, at least nobody has asked 'what are the 'ten commandments' of which you speak? Something Kennedy said?
Just because someone wrote it in a book doesn't make it true
Old July 26, 2003, 23:55   #14
Lancer
Deity

"Just because someone wrote it in a book doesn't make it true"

Doesn't mean its crap either.

Hollywood found the moral code when Hollywood needed the moral code. The code is a hell of alot more moral than Hollywood however...
Old July 27, 2003, 06:54   #15
Grandpa Troll
supporter
PolyCast TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Immortal Factotum

Quote:
Originally posted by Victor Galis

Just because someone wrote it in a book doesn't make it true
It is true and it will help guide you through life and help be an upright person.

"Help" I say, because you need Jesus Christ in your life and even then our "Humaness" leads us intto Sin.

Christ paid the price for us so that we have eternity in Heaven.

I know this is a thread about how 1 sin (Hollywood promoting various wrongdoings on film) VS another Sin (the consumer public via internet taking free downloads) so I guess the thinking here is we have no accountability in theft?

kinda like saying..its ok to steal..because someone else did it?

or its ok to steal because someone else had sex outside of marriage?

or its ok to steal because someone did illegal and illicit drugs?

Stealing is wrong and although it may not have the moral impact of murder or rape, it is still theft.

Peace

Grandpa Troll
Old July 27, 2003, 11:57   #16
JCG
Prince

I really don't think that "copying things without permission" is morally equivalent to "actively stealing or removing something from a person's possession", but that's just me.

Using the Bible doesn't help that argument any either, since when that book was written such a concept didn't exist, and AFAIK God (or anything/one else) hasn't authorized anyone to interpret it in such a manner (to put it lightly), to "update" its meaning/content.

Of course, that's still breaking the law, but only the obviously flawed human law, IMHO.
Old July 27, 2003, 12:10   #17
Berzerker
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
It is true and it will help guide you through life and help be an upright person.
Only if we ignore all the parts of the Bible where God commands "the chosen people" to slaughter the male inhabitants of a land, enslave their women and children, stone all the sinners, etc...
Old July 27, 2003, 12:23   #18
Cruddy
Warlord

Local Time: 07:22
Hollywood offering a moral message?

We'll be having childcare lessons from Josef Mengele next.

Hollywood, it's payback time!
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old July 27, 2003, 12:30   #19
mrmitchell
King

Quote:
kinda like saying..its ok to steal..because someone else did it?
That's not near what we're saying. You see, Hollywood ("HOLY WODE") releases a lot of trash content to the world. When we watch this content, if it's really good, a little bit might rub off on us. (You could say the same happens when you read a book.) Thus, if Hollywood can only come up with good movies about theft, bribery, and corruption, then over time the American populace will be come theives. It's more of an argument that they gradually changed our mindset and now we can't do any better than "they did it so now we can."

Oh yeah, and by the way, I don't think the Bible and analogies are going to convince a lot of us that downloading illegal stuff is wrong.
Old July 27, 2003, 12:39   #20
Jac de Molay
Prince

Re: Hollywood's new message: Be good, moral upstanding citizens and quit ripping us off..
Quote:
After decades of promoting the self serving, immoral rebel image, Hollywood finds itself the victim of crime on a truly huge scale. People are downloading movies from the internet by the hundreds of thousands, and watching them for free. Immoral?
I don't see how lost revenue due to technological advancement is either moral or immoral.

If they want to stop it dead in its track, they should do the same thing when dual deck VCRS came out: lower the price of DVDs to an extent that downloading isn't worth it.
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old July 27, 2003, 13:38   #21
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Re: Re: Hollywood's new message: Be good, moral upstanding citizens and quit ripping us off..
Quote:
Originally posted by Jac de Molay
If they want to stop it dead in its track, they should do the same thing when dual deck VCRS came out: lower the price of DVDs to an extent that downloading isn't worth it.
DVD's don't cost that much and those that do come with loads of extras, ex FotR Special Edition.
Old July 27, 2003, 13:54   #22
optimus2861
Chieftain

^ Yeah, the movie execs have been smart enough to date to keep DVD prices low enough that downloading movies just isn't worth it.

It's the record execs who need to be slapped silly for perpetuating overpriced CDs and suing their own customer base .
"If you doubt that an infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters would eventually produce the combined works of Shakespeare, consider: it only took 30 billion monkeys and no typewriters." - Unknown
Old July 27, 2003, 14:00   #23
Gibsie
Civilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

If we don't stop ripping them off how are they going to be able to afford their cocaine habits?!
Old July 27, 2003, 14:15   #24
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
Stealing is bad
Sounds like the guidance councilor on South Park.

Intellectual property wasn't even a concept when the Bible was written. And I'd love to see an argument for the morality of intellectual property - usually arguments for IP are framed in efficiency terms.

Quote:
Well, it's a law abiding citizenry who create a system by which they are governed. If you undermine the morality of the citizenry as Hollywood has done, don't be too shocked when the self serving buggers rip you off first chance they get.
Ah, you're another boring social conservative scold. No wonder.
Old July 27, 2003, 15:03   #25
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 23:22
oh the irony. after years of promoting lawlessness as "cool", it bites them in the ass. I love it.
Old July 27, 2003, 15:06   #26
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Hollywood can suck a fat one. America made them rich, paying to see their movies... and now those greedy ****s want to attack a few people who burn DVD's or trade movies. **** OFF *******S!

I'll take their claims and attacks against piracy seriously when I see Arnold, J-Lo, Aff-LACK, or any other celebrity standing in line for food stamps or getting unemployment.
Old July 27, 2003, 15:09   #27
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Let's analyze the two forms of stealing a bit shall we?

You have one form of stealing in which you physically remove a DVD from a store. That store is now out the cost they paid for the DVD. The owners, shareholders etc are affected by this. You are essentually stealing money from the pockets of the owners and shareholders.

If you get a pirated movie you had no intention of buying in the first place, you are stealing from no one. No one is hurt.

The key to this argument is that you had no intention of buying the DVD in the first place. Because if you do intend on buying the DVD, then you are taking potential money out of someone's pockets.

This is how I am with my mp3's. I don't download mp3's in lieu of buying cd's. I still buy the cd's I want to- just bought Metallica's new album. What I do is download mp3's of all my cassettes that I don't plan on upgrading ( I just don't like them enough to buy the cd). I don't have the money to upgrade every single one of my cassette tapes to CD. So when I download say and old Dio tune, I am not taking away potential profits. I had no intention of ever buying Dio's Last in Line CD. Or I just download mp3's of these one hit wonders you hear on the radio. I have no intention of buying CD's from one hit wonders. But I like the song enough I want to hear it again. In the old days, I'd just tape it on a cassette from the radio. Now I don't have to do that.
Old July 27, 2003, 15:10   #28
mrmitchell
King

Quote:
^ Yeah, the movie execs have been smart enough to date to keep DVD prices low enough that downloading movies just isn't worth it.
Indeed. DVDs are, compared to music, a great value...
Old July 27, 2003, 15:15   #29
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

And used DVD's can be like $5-10 at Blockbuster or other video stores.
Old July 27, 2003, 15:29   #30
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

good point.

after looking at DVD prices, one can conclude that CD's are horribly overpriced.

even the old ones only drop to $12.99 or so. They have to be completely worthless artists and no-names for them ever to reach the bargain bins of the supermarket.

You can't tell me there is no price fixing going on. As a DVD costs more to produce than a CD. Yes even DVD's have their own production teams that have to lay out the audio tracks, and put special features on etc.

I have no problem buying DVD's. I do it all the time. They are more reasonable than CD's by a long shot. Of course as I noted above, I do buy CD's of artists I like a lot. But not everyone.