Old July 27, 2003, 07:20   #1
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 23:23
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Israel makes a huge mistake.
And there is no doubt that many innocent civilains will die because of it. Sharon is reportedly going to give in to Palestinian demands that imprisioned terrorists be set free. This means that many murders and hardered terrorists will once again be free to walk the streets and commit more acts of terror. As of today the PA has not moved one inch towards disarming the numerous Palestinian terror organizations. Under the road map for peace the PA's one and only obligation is to disarm terrorist organizations.

Once again the PA gets something for nothing and the world is worse off because of it.
http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/...ers/index.html
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old July 27, 2003, 07:26   #2
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 02:23
Local Date: November 2, 2010
So much for all the talk about Sharon not being serious about wanting peace. I can't believe he did this, to be honest.
Old July 27, 2003, 07:30   #3
Kropotkin
Emperor

Local Time: 08:23
If it's not some shady plan where he hopes the released prisoners will create enough trouble to turn the tide against the latest plans for peace and get support for an harder approach on the palestinian question. But I guess that's the conspiracy theorist in me speaking...
Old July 27, 2003, 07:33   #4
Sandman
King

Local Time: 07:23
Couldn't Sharon have kept the peace process going by dismantling some settlements instead? Or is that too big a sacrifice compared to releasing terrorists?
Old July 27, 2003, 07:35   #5
Kropotkin
Emperor

It should however be noted that the larger bulk of the prisoners has not been arrested for terrorist-like activities but more of criminal activities. The Israeli government claims that no one "with blood on his hands" shall be released.
Old July 27, 2003, 07:35   #6
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 02:23
Quote:
If it's not some shady plan where he hopes the released prisoners will create enough trouble to turn the tide against the latest plans for peace and get support for an harder approach on the palestinian question. But I guess that's the conspiracy theorist in me speaking...
Old July 27, 2003, 07:37   #7
Kropotkin
Emperor

It should also be noted that some, if not most of them, of them was set to released anyhow.
Old July 27, 2003, 07:46   #8
Cruddy
Warlord

My gut reaction was Oerdin's, to be honest. My brain read the article and thought "Well, there's 1,000s detained. What's 500 low level members?"

I suppose the challenge is going to be getting them something useful to do, instead of mouldering inside Gaza or the West Bank.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old July 27, 2003, 08:06   #9
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 09:23
Quote:

Sharon did Abbas a favour by releasing them. I guess Abbas is a zionist agent, too.
Old July 27, 2003, 08:26   #10
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Noone in Europe will remember that when the next lethal terract occurs. They'll just say "it's their own fault".

I want to migrate.
Old July 27, 2003, 08:28   #11
Ecthy
Emperor

and just to clarify, they won't mean it as in "they shouldn't have set them free" but as in "they shouldn't have done so much bad" - "do you remember how they set hudnreds of criminals free? those did this" - "oh, that was only a show. victims of state terrorism did this" - "thank you"
Old July 27, 2003, 08:34   #12
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

What i'm really afraid of is that Israel starts to ignore Pal violations again. The terrorist organizations MUST be dismantled, Israel always insisted on it, but now after a few weeks of relative quiet Sharon, just like Rabin, Peres, Netanyahu and Barak before him prefers to ignore possible long term danger in exchange for short term quiet.
Old July 27, 2003, 08:36   #13
Ecthy
Emperor

"you see that guy he was a friend of me now he's dead." - "blame Israel" - "thank you"

that friend could be YOU, Eli. now go out and re-arrest those guys.
Old July 27, 2003, 08:37   #14
Az
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
What i'm really afraid of is that Israel starts to ignore Pal violations again. The terrorist organizations MUST be dismantled, Israel always insisted on it, but now after a few weeks of relative quiet Sharon, just like Rabin, Peres, Netanyahu and Barak before him prefers to ignore possible long term danger in exchange for short term quiet.
Old July 27, 2003, 08:42   #15
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

As much as I wish the Palestinians luck in the struggle for their own country (by diplomatic means, no by terrorism, of course), setting free convicted terrorists is just silly and I really hope, Israel won't have to regret it. I like Sharon even less than Bush, but in this case I wish him good luck.
Old July 27, 2003, 08:56   #16
Az
Emperor

I ONCE AGAIN post the Israeli proposal at Taba to show you that they COULD have their own state on 95% of the west bank, and more land in Israel proper, to have passage to the Gaza strip, that would've been fully theirs.

The map is from a european newspaper, and this proposal is documented. The last israeli proposal is on the right, and it even allows for some palestinians to return to Israel, IIRC. the last palestinian proposal calls for the return of all refugees. you can google search it.

Old July 27, 2003, 09:04   #17
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

That's a proposal I could agree too, had the Ancient City remained in Israeli hands.
Old July 27, 2003, 09:12   #18
Az
Emperor

I wouldn't mind the ancient city split, as long as it was REALLY split, so that the jews would have rights to the temple mount as well, not like now, that it is de-facto palestinian.
Old July 27, 2003, 09:58   #19
Ecthy
Emperor

the camp david 2000 one contains Israeli settlements?

looks neat, though us euro lefties would prefer to see a united and peaceful star-fleet-esque J-town
Old July 27, 2003, 09:58   #20
Kropotkin
Emperor

No one seems to have taken my theory seriously.

And, yeah, the Taba proposal looks good to me, Pals should be fools if they didn't go for this, for now

Couldn't someone just blow up that damned temple mount, it would make it all a tad more easy.
Old July 27, 2003, 10:05   #21
Ecthy
Emperor

the sand of the temple mount, if heated properly... you can imagine where it goes from here
Old July 27, 2003, 10:13   #22
HershOstropoler
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel
I ONCE AGAIN post the Israeli proposal at Taba to show you that they COULD have their own state on 95% of the west bank, and more land in Israel proper, to have passage to the Gaza strip, that would've been fully theirs.

The map is from a european newspaper, and this proposal is documented. The last israeli proposal is on the right, and it even allows for some palestinians to return to Israel, IIRC. the last palestinian proposal calls for the return of all refugees. you can google search it.
Uhm... the Taba proposals did no longer include transitory Israeli control, Israeli corridors, and a security zone along the Jordan?
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old July 27, 2003, 10:21   #23
Az
Emperor

Look at the ****ing map. Camp david didn't have Israeli corridors as well, though there was "transitory Israeli control" in the jordan valley.
Old July 27, 2003, 10:21   #24
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 01:23
Quote:
and more land in Israel proper, to have passage to the Gaza strip, that would've been fully theirs.
Why is it important that they have a passage to the Gaza Strip to and from the West Bank?
Old July 27, 2003, 10:26   #25
Az
Emperor

Cause getting a pass to Israel would be a tad harder than to an american getting a pass to Canada. (Alaska comparison)
Old July 27, 2003, 10:26   #26
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 01:23
And?
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old July 27, 2003, 10:37   #27
Az
Emperor

I dunno. they asked for it.
Old July 27, 2003, 10:43   #28
HershOstropoler
Settler

Quote:
Look at the ****ing map. Camp david didn't have Israeli corridors as well, though there was "transitory Israeli control" in the jordan valley.
1. I think Arafat should have taken the Camp Daiv deal, despite its shortcomings.

2. What you say however looks questionable. Moratinos' non-paper still mentions the corridors.
http://www.monde-diplomatique.fr/cah...palestine+taba
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old July 27, 2003, 10:54   #29
Az
Emperor

quote, please. cannot find it.
Old July 27, 2003, 10:57   #30
HershOstropoler
Settler

"The Israeli side wished to count "assets" such as Israelis "safe passage/corridor" proposal as being part of the land swap, even though the proposal would not give Palestine sovereignty over these "assets"."

"The Palestinian side further maintained that land not under Palestinian sovereignty such as the Israeli proposal regarding a "safe passage/corridor" as well as economic interests are not included in the calculation of the swap."

So they were in there, but open for negotiation if I understand that correctly.