Old July 27, 2003, 13:18   #1
Caligo
Settler

Local Time: 06:24
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Creation of the UN and I lose???
Please, someone help me out with this. I have played a few games and every time the UN gets created and there is a vote for the secretary general, I lose the game. Doesn't matter who builds it or who I vote for. Why is that? What am I missing?? Thanks.

~GC
Old July 27, 2003, 13:31   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 02:24
You need to look at the Civs relations with you and others. Often by that point in the game you wil not be on such good terms and the vote will be hard to win.
I tend to not allow diplo wins. If it is on, you want to be the one to build the UN and not call for a vote if this look ugly.
Old July 27, 2003, 13:33   #3
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 23:24
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The UN vote is mostly dependent on public relations with the other civs. If your relations with other civs are bad then you probably won't get the vote. If the relations are good then one of the AI civs must have better relations (which is often the case since, especially at the higher difficulties, they are almost automatically cautious or annoyed with you). I don't know all the ins and outs of a UN win so maybe someone else can post with the statistics. I really don't care for a UN win (or loss), so I do everything I can to build the UN first to hold off the vote. Or just turn off the diplomatic win condition when starting a game.

Good luck.
Old July 27, 2003, 13:34   #4
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Should've known. Cross post with vmxa1.

Old July 27, 2003, 13:54   #5
Caligo
Settler

Thanks for the fast replies. I was the one that built it but Lincoln won the vote. So, if you win the vote you win with a diplomatic victory and if you lose, you lose?
Old July 27, 2003, 13:58   #6
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Caligo
Thanks for the fast replies. I was the one that built it but Lincoln won the vote. So, if you win the vote you win with a diplomatic victory and if you lose, you lose?
Correct. Unless you're sure of the outcome then don't hold the vote.

I'm not 100% positive because I've never actually won or lost by diplomatic victory (by choice), but can you play on after losing a UN vote?
Old July 27, 2003, 14:09   #7
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Once in a while a UN vote opportunity will come by just after I have saved the game. Then I'll often "cheat": Have the vote just to see if I win it; if I lose I can reload the game, if I win then I can quit if I feel satisfied, or reload and not hold the vote.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old July 29, 2003, 13:35   #8
King_Henry
Chieftain

I always build the UN just as insurance.By that point in the game, I've already killed at least one other Civ so nobody trusts me anymore. This means I'll win a space race without any panic with the final part in construction.
Old July 29, 2003, 13:44   #9
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

I always play with the diplomatic victory turned off. The concept of putting 30, 40 hours into a game, winning in all other areas then losing the entire game in a beauty contest is a little too much for me.

Winning isn't much better. Very anti-climatic.
Old July 29, 2003, 15:35   #10
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 07:24
The surest, but by no means certain, way to win the diplomatic vote is to identify the least popular AI civ (usually the strongest) and go to war with them just before you complete the UN. Then give the other AI's whatever it takes to get them into an alliance with you. They will then vote for you.

Once you complete the UN you will be offered the chance to take a vote every 20 turns IIRC.
Old July 29, 2003, 17:00   #11
FrostyBoy
Emperor

Local Time: 14:24
I've won the Diplo Victory, its quick but nice to know everyone likes you
Old July 29, 2003, 18:12   #12
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Once you complete the UN you will be offered the chance to take a vote every 20 turns IIRC.
11 turns, actually. Now isn't THAT odd....
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old July 30, 2003, 00:04   #13
bobbo008
Prince

Local Time: 00:24
i like when i control all of one luxury. then, despite the economic loss, i'll constantly give it as a gift to everyone to keep most on polite..
Old July 30, 2003, 05:12   #14
Cort Haus
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I disagree with the consensus on diplowins. I used to play peaceful builder, using the peace dividend to out-produce and out-research all rivals. Arriving into the modern era as the clear leader and with a perfect reputation, I had no problems winning everyone's vote except the UN rival and the odd aggressor.

Nothing unsatisfying about the victory - I was the best civ so why do I have to kill everyone or even build an SS to prove it?
Old July 30, 2003, 14:23   #15
vmxa1
Deity

I find it to be lame, but that is why they gave us lots of options for victory.
Old July 30, 2003, 20:36   #16
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I think the diplo win, not exploiting alliances, can actually be tough. I think experienced players should learn how to do it, at least, focusing on how to manage AI civ relations positively.

(vxma1, I know, not your style, but it's worth knowing how to do)
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old July 30, 2003, 23:00   #17
vmxa1
Deity

Never said I did not know how to do it. I just said I am not interested in it. It tends to come along just as I am dishing out some pay back and I do not want to give that up. Smiles evil grin
Old July 31, 2003, 00:00   #18
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
We need a new catch phrase.

There is the whole Dark Side thing...

and then there is vxma1.

"Mountain Sage... [hiss hiss]... I am your father (in AU 208)."
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old July 31, 2003, 06:54   #19
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 08:24
I have turned the UN vote off. It's all about random

It always ends up, my worst enemy votes for me (The one I have been at war against, several times), while my ally during several wars (and always polite to me) votes for someone else
Old July 31, 2003, 16:09   #20
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Re: Creation of the UN and I lose???
Quote:
Originally posted by Caligo
Please, someone help me out with this. I have played a few games and every time the UN gets created and there is a vote for the secretary general, I lose the game. Doesn't matter who builds it or who I vote for. Why is that? What am I missing?? Thanks.

~GC
hi ,

can you attach a save please , .....

that would help a great deal in finding the A to your Q , ....

have a nice day
Old July 31, 2003, 20:25   #21
Admiral PJ
PtWDG Lux Invicta
Prince

In my modded game, Iroquois and Arabs have started the UN.. i'm at war with the iroquois, the arabs will probably build it as iroqouis UN building city - Grand river has been destroyed by my cruiser ships.
I tried in a muck up game that when i rushed the UN using a leader, i got 4 votes for me, 4 for iroquois(they must have had biggest population) and 3 abstains.

NOTES: money helps win reputations, so try and capture rich nations cities to pillage their moneys.. let the city flip back and recapture till their are bankrupt of money.

I think the Diplomatic win is fun, but it takes place a bit early .. right at the beginning of the modern era.
IT allows more of a strategic game, thinking who can be voted for , as its the highest population or biggest territory of civ, or the owner of the UN building.. population is the main factor.

I'm going to let the civs build the UN and then capture it quickly .. and not call for a vote unless I can't win by space ship or domination victory.
I can't win by conquest i think, though i'm only at year 1830ad, maybe by End game score but that will be a long way off.

Its best to get everyone to ally against the person going in the UN vote.. or enough to swing the vote so they can't win.

All games require you have wars and conquer other civs, unless your on the lowest difficulty.. I think war is fun in civ3 anyhow.. peace is for hippies
Old August 1, 2003, 01:02   #22
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Admiral PJ

NOTES: money helps win reputations, so try and capture rich nations cities to pillage their moneys.. let the city flip back and recapture till their are bankrupt of money.
That seems a bit risky. What happens if they do not flip or it take many turns?
Old August 1, 2003, 19:29   #23
Quasar1011
Warlord

Local Time: 01:24
Quote:
Originally posted by Admiral PJ All games require you have wars and conquer other civs, unless your on the lowest difficulty..
That's not true. I've had 2 or 3 games at higher levels when I had not fought a war the entire game. And boy, was I surprised too.

I look at the U.N. as a bit of an equalizer. I usually build it so that I can block the vote. If I am ahead militarily or scientifically, I am mindful that I can still lose if someone else builds the U.N.
Old August 3, 2003, 07:48   #24
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 01:24
I turn off diplomatic, just for the reasons given. I've also changed what the UN wonder does, so it is still worth building.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old August 3, 2003, 11:30   #25
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Quasar1011

That's not true. I've had 2 or 3 games at higher levels when I had not fought a war the entire game. And boy, was I surprised too.

I look at the U.N. as a bit of an equalizer. I usually build it so that I can block the vote. If I am ahead militarily or scientifically, I am mindful that I can still lose if someone else builds the U.N.
hi ,

seconded , even with 31 civs on deity

war is not always the option to win neither , .....

have a nice day
Old August 3, 2003, 13:03   #26
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 22:24
I hate diplo victory. It is very unsatisfying. I might be some tiny civ and I've been doing poorly and then I win the game. But I don't feel good about winning. Or, I'll be doing very well, way stronger then the other civs. A domination victory might be in sight. And then, the game will be over, I win because a vote. It is not fun.

Quote:

hi ,

seconded , even with 31 civs on deity

war is not always the option to win neither , .....

have a nice day
Tell more. How did you win? What was the game like?
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old August 3, 2003, 13:49   #27
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by johncmcleod
I hate diplo victory. It is very unsatisfying. I might be some tiny civ and I've been doing poorly and then I win the game. But I don't feel good about winning. Or, I'll be doing very well, way stronger then the other civs. A domination victory might be in sight. And then, the game will be over, I win because a vote. It is not fun.

Tell more. How did you win? What was the game like?
hi ,

culture aint bad , wonders mainly , trade , etc , .....

trying to keep them stupid , dont sell techs unless they are 4 or 5 behind , .....

have a nice day
Old August 4, 2003, 07:40   #28
Mountain Sage
PtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
We need a new catch phrase.

There is the whole Dark Side thing...

and then there is vxma1.

"Mountain Sage... [hiss hiss]... I am your father (in AU 208)."
Sorry for the late reply...

Soooo, you are my father, and then Arrian is my mother. With 2 parents like you, I should commit ritual suicide
Old August 4, 2003, 07:43   #29
Mountain Sage
PtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Admiral PJ

All games require you have wars and conquer other civs, unless your on the lowest difficulty.. I think war is fun in civ3 anyhow.. peace is for hippies
Nope. My first game on Emperor was a Perfect Peacenik game. I never went to war, even once. Won the Space Race.
Old August 4, 2003, 08:09   #30
Cort Haus
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

War is fun in civ 3, but peace is too. Peace-play means a trading game, where you battle the other civs on the diplomacy screen. It can get a bit quiet in the late game if you're miles ahead, and that's where the diplowin comes in handy. I think that building a modest but more advanced, productive, and peaceful civ than the rivals is a worthy victory condition.

Peace-play can also be used to build a mighty platform from which to launch late-game assaults.

For me, there is a point at which moving 200-odd units each turn while relentlessly munching up city after city loses some of its edge.