Old July 29, 2003, 03:29   #1
palehorse
Settler

Local Time: 06:29
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Idea for new unit
Had this idea while I was playing earlier. I had moved into the Assyrian/Hittite continent and taken about two cities from each of them, which made them understandably upset. What I hadn't counted on was the Assyrians being so attached to those particular cities that they felt the need to surround me with SEVENTY MEN. So, that got me thinking (while I packed my ships and got the hell outta there in the mean time) about what could be done in situations such as these.

So, my idea... what about a guerilla fighter? The way I see it, it'd be a stealth unit that can do a bombarding sneak attack (basically a land version of the sub, I suppose) or has an attack that has a set chance at taking out a certain number of an enemy stack. I'm not sure on the finer points of how to balance something like that, but my intent is to give much smaller civs one last fighting chance to frustrate and exhaust a large invasion force, hopefully causing them to give up and pull back... pretty much like the intent of guerillas in real life. Perhaps they could even be a special unit for a government that's designed to be implimented in a small, relatively weak civ. I was also thinking about how new civs that form from revolting cities are generally crushed within a few turns, so maybe that could help them get on their feet, too.

Just some ideas to kick around... so does this sound workable?