View Poll Results: What forms of punishment you condone? (Post Others)
Child Abuse, Spanking, Grounding, Reasoning 1 3.33%
Spanking, Grounding, Reasoning 14 46.67%
Grounding, Reasoning 12 40.00%
The Banana Torture 3 10.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 29, 2003, 14:25   #1
Japher
Emperor

Local Time: 06:31
Local Date: November 2, 2010
How to Punish Children
Now that teachers can't beat the heck out students anymore, and it's a real crying shame, and parents can't beat on their own kids anymore, how are you suppose to reprimand your kid?

Not that I have one, but when I was a kid I was an obnoxious, evil, little brat the deserved every wooden spoon that ever broke over my butt. My parents would spank me, slap me, whatever until I was old enough to stop them. At that time they though I had enough reason to actually reason with.

Yet, kids these days are still obnoxious, evil, little brats and they are 16+! Perhaps "grounding" your kid, or even trying to reason with a 5 year old just doesn't work! Who'd of tunk it?

I say we go back to physical punishment, not just in the home, but a schools too. Now, I don't mean beat them till they bleed, or even bruise, but parents are wusses are getting ran over by their kids, and then the kids think they can run all over teachers.

Pro-Spanking?
Old July 29, 2003, 14:30   #2
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Local Time: 01:31
Thump their ears.
Old July 29, 2003, 14:33   #3
David Floyd
Emperor

I definitely don't think that schools should be involved in punishing children. The only purpose for which schools exist is to teach academics. If kids don't want to learn, that's their loss. If they don't do the work or go to class, their loss. If they are disruptive, they should simply be sent home. No "ifs" "ands" or "buts".
Old July 29, 2003, 14:37   #4
red_jon
NationStates
King

Horseshoe + sock + the back of their head = discipline.
Old July 29, 2003, 14:39   #5
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

Why the sock?
Old July 29, 2003, 14:40   #6
red_jon
NationStates
King

To put the horseshoe in silly. Then you take a big swing.
Old July 29, 2003, 14:41   #7
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

Knock 'em into next month.
I like that.
Old July 29, 2003, 14:44   #8
red_jon
NationStates
King

They should be obediant after that. Maybe a little crosseyed, but totally obediant.
Old July 29, 2003, 14:45   #9
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 00:31
I am the only one who voted for spanking?

Jon Miller
Old July 29, 2003, 14:46   #10
Japher
Emperor

I just voted for it.
Old July 29, 2003, 14:54   #11
GePap
Emperor

Get biblical on their ass! Stone them to death, that will teach them!

(I voted for option #2)
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old July 29, 2003, 15:00   #12
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 02:31
No.

I voted #3. There are ways of disciplining a child that do not involve smacking them.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old July 29, 2003, 15:14   #13
*End Is Forever*
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 07:31
I don't believe in physically assaulting anyone, regardless of reason or justification. Quite frankly, if you do not treat with respect, you will never get respect.
Old July 29, 2003, 15:31   #14
MikeH
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-League
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 07:31
All modern research shows that rewarding young kids for good behaviour is better than punishment for bad behaviour. If the kid wants attention and they get it by being bad you are reinforcing the wrong kind of behaviour, if you reward them and give them attention when they are good they behave better.

Of course I haven't got kids so I expect people like Horsie and Sneak will tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, which is true, just reporting what I heard.

We've got both kinds
Old July 29, 2003, 15:37   #15
trickey
Civilization III Democracy GameNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

Local Time: 02:31
Quote:
Originally posted by David Floyd
I definitely don't think that schools should be involved in punishing children. The only purpose for which schools exist is to teach academics. If kids don't want to learn, that's their loss. If they don't do the work or go to class, their loss. If they are disruptive, they should simply be sent home. No "ifs" "ands" or "buts".
Well put
Old July 29, 2003, 15:38   #16
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 23:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Child abuse is the way to go. Hang them by their toes and electroshock them if they don't eat their veggies.

And if that doesn't work then cover them in honey and put them on top of a south American ant hill.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old July 29, 2003, 15:53   #17
Combat Ingrid
Prince

Local Time: 15:31
Cervical dislocation
Old July 29, 2003, 15:55   #18
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Most of those reports are done by people watching other's children.

While I don't aprove of beatings, a spanking every now and then can be a good thing. Anyone that has children has seen them get into a frenzy where all the reasoning in the world is not going to have any benefit.
Old July 29, 2003, 15:55   #19
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 09:31
sell them to a paedophilia network.

Seriously, though, Reasoning, and various grounding sounds right to me.
Old July 29, 2003, 15:58   #20
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 09:31
Rule of the thumb v2.0, you can not beat your child with an iron bar bigger than your thumb is.

Nah, I think spanking is in order sometimes. But don't hit your child in anger. You need to be in control. And I still prefer reasoning and grounding. But I'll spank some butts if the house rules are broken and everything else seems to fail to get the youngster back in order!
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old July 29, 2003, 16:01   #21
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

I would heartily recommend following any advice RAH has to offer.
Nothing like having little monsters with an inordinate fondess for ferrets.
Old July 29, 2003, 16:01   #22
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Quote:
They should be obediant after that. Maybe a little crosseyed, but totally obediant.
Of course! Everyone who's been in the hospital for major head trauma is always obedient to whoever did it to them.

---

Schools are not for discipline. Parents are for discipline. Schools are for academics.

That said, senseless beating is not the only way to fix a problem.
Old July 29, 2003, 16:01   #23
Japher
Emperor

There is no reasoning with a screaming, clawing, out of control 4 year old. Throwing them into their room (if there is one to send them to) doesn't do much of anything. They aren't going to "think" about their actions, they are just going to get more mad. Why? Because the only reason the brat was throwing a tantrum in the first place was to get some attention. Locking them in a closet does not warrent this type of "attention". You need to spank them, at least then they know that you will pay attention to them when they are bad and good. Thus, leading to the deep realization that they care enough to put up with you wether you are bad or good, and thus they learn to trust your judgement to be able to tell if you are being good or bad...
Old July 29, 2003, 16:03   #24
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

It's better to act good yourself and not throw tantrums -- numerous studies show babies copy their parents -- and reward them for all good behavior.
Old July 29, 2003, 16:04   #25
Meldor
Settler

Having been both a child and a parent, I voted for #2.

Sorry, but children need to know that there are limits beyond which they can not go. They need those limits. Talking to a child does no good. If a child knows there is no consequence of bad behavior, it will continue to behave badly. Rewarding good behaior is great, don't get me wrong, but the bad must be punished. So, what punishment to use?

1) Reasoning with a child. Sorry, a smaller child does not have the cognative functioning to reason much beyond immediate cause and effect. To try and reason with them about not playing with matches, or not throwing a ball at their sibling doesn't work. They enjoyed the behavior (even though it was wrong) and theywill continue to do it as long as the worst that happens is a talk. Rewarding them for playing nicely with a sibling will only get you kids that play well together when you are looking. With older kids it will work to some extent but not if it is done all of the time. It merely builds up resentment and it begins to run in one ear and out the other.

2) Grounding - Again, smaller children don't ahve the ability to connect the complete punishment with the bad behavior. A small child that is punished by grounding, or having a TV taken away, will modify its behavior for a short period. After that, they no loger associate the behavior with the punishment. If you see and bad behavior and tell the child it won't be able to go to the movie as palnned two days from now it will feel bad. But when it behaves for two days and then can't go to the movie it builds a connection to the more recent behavior. It also is seen by the child as a parent that carries a grudge or is mad at them for a long time.

3) Spanking - The feed back is immediate. The smaller child has an instant connection between the behavior and the punishment. It is over quickly and the parent and the child can put it behind them. I made a pint to hug my children after I spanked them and told them I loved them. This was to put the punishment not on personal terms (I am going to spank you because you made me mad) but as an impersonal cosequence of their bad behavior. I have never spanked my children while I was mad at them (not because I couldn't control the spanking). I would let them see me calm down and get over the "being mad" part before I decided the punishment. I never hit the children hard enough to leave a long term mark (redness, yes, but it fades relatively quickly). I have always limited myself to 5 swats for minor offenses and 10 for major.

As a child grows up, and you have taught them well, you should have to spank them less and less. I have found that I do not spank my daughter any more (15) and only rarely need to spank my son (11). I think that by the time he is 12 it will be a done deal. Now that they can understand more complex relationships, removal of priviledges works better, but even that isn't used much, as they just don't do things they shouldn't ro the transgressions are now small enough (more of the not thinking rather than the covert action type) that reasoning with them is as effective.

I havew personnally witnessed children raised in both manners and frankly, I would rather have the ones that had a little spanking than those that didn't.
Old July 29, 2003, 16:06   #26
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 08:31
Fire.

The answer is fire.
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old July 29, 2003, 16:08   #27
mrmitchell
King

Spanking a 15 year old daughter is more of sexual harrasment than punishment.

Likewise, by the time your child is 11 years old, he should have the ability to reason out the whole grounding thing and you don't need to spank him, unless you have raised an incredible idiot.
Old July 29, 2003, 16:10   #28
Japher
Emperor

Thanks for your well-thoughtout reply... mainly because I agree

I would suggest trying to not punish them when they do something wrong (when old enough of course).

By the time I was 16 my parents had no more need to punish me either through reasoning nor grounding. When I erred it was just that an error, and I didn't need them to tell me that they were disappointed in me, I already knew. Whenever I F'd up and came home late, faught with my sibs, swore, etc... I would find myself apologizing to my parents before I even knew it!

I don't know what they did, but I think it was one time, when I came home late, I didn't find them sitting up waiting, and that made me fearful of them... I apologized, and told them it would never happen again. They told me that it probably would, but that the fact that I knew it makes them angry/worried should be enough to keep from doing it again, or to at least call.

I think there are stages, and spankings are one of them.
Old July 29, 2003, 16:12   #29
CorpusScorpius
Chieftain

I am not one to spank my daughter. Although there have been times it was warranted. When she was 6 we were in a grocery store & someone she knew that worked there was not working that day. She (my daughter) began to throw a major tantrum. I was trying to reason w/ her but it was not working. I did not want to spank her in public so I decided on a different method...........I began Jumping Up & Down & demanding that she behave very loudly.The adults around us were laughing. My daughter became Extremely Embarassed & started to cry. Mission accomplished!!! She has not thrown a fit with me ever since.
Old July 29, 2003, 16:12   #30
Kidicious
Deity

Local Time: 22:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Japher
Throwing them into their room (if there is one to send them to) doesn't do much of anything.
Works great with mine. Spanking only makes him behave worse, because he gets more pissed off.