Old July 30, 2003, 07:09   #91
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 09:32
Local Date: November 2, 2010
And I also told earlier, that the kind of equality and unity that we are dreaming about.. it's impossible. So we shouldn't talk about it either. It's a loose alliance or union. That's all I've been saying all the time.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old July 30, 2003, 07:10   #92
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

Local Time: 08:32
Did you start this thread just because you like to laugh and bash people who are trying to make things better for all of uss. Don't you like peace, stability, wellbeing, respect, love?
EU is very very far from perfect, but I honestly believe they are trying to make up for the mistakes our ancestors did. I hope all good for EU, thats our hope, give it a chance.

Rome wasn't built in one night either

- Paul Valery
Old July 30, 2003, 07:13   #93
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 07:32
Quote:
Originally posted by Pekka
DAVOUT, So that means true unity and equality? It's still bunch of individual countries and few laws and a loose alliance aimed for not letting us fight each other. Worked for few decades. whopee.
You mean that a bunch of individual countries would have made Airbus as well, and would have connected their economies to the point that a new currency can be launch, overnight, on jan 1st 2001 for 300 millions people?

But I forgot that for you the EU will not exist until its military matchs the US ... :
Old July 30, 2003, 07:14   #94
Pekka
Emperor

Nah, I just started this thread to brake myths.
And I said earlier (in other thread where this whole thing started) that Europe is Europe, and there are good things in it and they are much more than the few things that are not so good.

I hope for the better Europe and EU too. I hope they will succeed, however I will not see this happening. I see it being mediocre and having nice things and all that, but true success won't become to us. I'm not saying we need it.

Come on don't speak about peace love and what not. Michael is going to give you a call too, soon.
Old July 30, 2003, 07:17   #95
Pekka
Emperor

DAVOUT, I was first talking about Europe, and after that EU. Don't mix things up. For your information, not even every country in EU uses euros, or plan doing it.
Old July 30, 2003, 07:17   #96
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

Michael!? Jackson?

- Paul Valery
Old July 30, 2003, 07:21   #97
Az
Emperor

Just my two cents, and then I'll leave.

Europe will be truly united when it will have a federal tax, a federal army, and when its' parliament and government will wield more power than those of the member states. This will be truely sealed when states won't be allowed to leave the union. We could see a european civil war then.
Old July 30, 2003, 07:27   #98
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Quote:
DAVOUT, I was first talking about Europe, and after that EU. Don't mix things up. For your information, not even every country in EU uses euros, or plan doing it.
I dont mix things up : you are so fascinated by the US that you cannot see the reality in your own continent. But that is your right. Enjoy using it !
Old July 30, 2003, 07:30   #99
Pekka
Emperor

What's wrong with that? I gave Europe credit for being good, I just think euros thinks is something bigger than it is. Now. It CAN be bigger, and better in the future, but not in the way I think most TRUE EUROS thinks.
Old July 30, 2003, 07:33   #100
Pekka
Emperor

You see me like I'm fascinated by the US and blinded by it's light. In that case, you are like the fan of Michael Jackson thinking he did not molest the kids .

.. just a joke. Don't get angry.
Old July 30, 2003, 07:36   #101
laurentius
King

Pekka: Euros? TRUE EURO? WTF dude? Where do you come up with these ridiculous-obviously anglo-american invented- terms?
It's not like you wouldnt be one of us.

Euros, Eurocommies it's all the same american ****. It melts your credibility just like using M$ fo Microsoft. I don't say "morons" when I talk about americans, in exchange I don't tolerate words like "euros" "TRUE EUROS" or "eurocommies"

so please, Don't be an ass n use em

- Paul Valery

Last edited by laurentius; July 30, 2003 at 07:41.
Old July 30, 2003, 07:41   #102
Pekka
Emperor

Euro? That can be used to mean European, I don't think that's insulting. TRUE EURO I invented myself yesterday, and that is supposed to mean central Europe hegemony masters . It's a bit insulting, though I don't mean the person is very bad. But it is a minor insult, granted.

I am European, I ma euro, sure. I'm not ashamed to be euro either.

And I hate the term eurocom as well, and last time Fez used it, I answered him what I think of the term.
Old July 30, 2003, 07:43   #103
laurentius
King

Yeah well i'ts f u c k i n g annoying

- Paul Valery
Old July 30, 2003, 07:45   #104
Pekka
Emperor

I know! . And they deserve it too!

Looks like I'm defending myself from attacks coming from right and left and in the middle. Someone could pair up with me and smash these TRUE EUROS away .
Old July 30, 2003, 07:48   #105
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 23:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Most of the people I've met from Denmark, the Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland and western Germany tend to consider themselves "European" more than their nationalities. But the French and Italians are far more nationalistic. I've never heard any Brit call himself European, and most Brits I know refer to "Europe" with a sneer.
Old July 30, 2003, 07:56   #106
MikeH
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-League
OTF Moderator

Yeah, sad about those Brits, not all of us though.

We've got both kinds
Old July 30, 2003, 08:11   #107
Pekka
Emperor

[TRUE EURO]
Well they can have their UK THEN! They are nothing but Americas lapdog anyway.. they only pretend to be European..
[/TRUE EURO]
Old July 30, 2003, 08:18   #108
laurentius
King

Aww f*ck off

- Paul Valery
Old July 30, 2003, 08:20   #109
Pekka
Emperor

laurentius, I didn't call you TRUE EURO, of you got the idea, well I didn't mean it. I don't see you as a TRUE EURO, but you are living in dangerous dream worlds .

Nah, just messing with you.

GO Britney!
Old July 30, 2003, 08:22   #110
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

The problem the British have is in forgetting the centuries of assumed cultural superiority they have adopted through giving most of the european countries a good kicking militarily and laughing at what some of them regard as culinary delights, all done without looking in the mirror about what others might think about the British.

It is also worth noting that those military victories were often achieved by the upper class english giving some orders and a bunch of english scum, scotsmen, irishmen and welshmen actually doing the dirty work. If it was really unpleasent they would generally get the welsh to do it!

The real problem now is that the only national politician with the standing and desire to see the UK more involved in europe and drive it forward is Tony Blair. If, as seems likely, he has trashed his trustworthiness in the eyes of the electorate then there is no-one who can and will try to encourage us to be good europeans.
Old July 30, 2003, 08:23   #111
laurentius
King

Yeah, well nice AMERICAN flag you got under your name there Peksu

Dreamworlds? Yeah well just look at my sig.

- Paul Valery
Old July 30, 2003, 08:26   #112
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 02:32
Quote:
If it was really unpleasent they would generally get the welsh to do it!
Someone had to step up and kill frogs for you pansy English.
Old July 30, 2003, 08:26   #113
Pekka
Emperor

What's wrong with that? I'm proud of Finnish flag too.
Old July 30, 2003, 08:27   #114
HershOstropoler
Settler

I see Pekka has continued trolling but still hasn't explained what inequality or disunity he is babbling about.
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old July 30, 2003, 08:28   #115
laurentius
King

So why american flag?

- Paul Valery
Old July 30, 2003, 08:33   #116
Pekka
Emperor

Hershostropoler, read the earlie thread. Link is in the first post of this thread.

laurentius, why not? This is just a show of solidarity and support for the country. Doesn't mean I'm anti-euro.
My parents have lived there, my mom lives there and I frequent there. I have few real life American friends too. So why not? I have had our flag there as well.
Old July 30, 2003, 08:34   #117
Pekka
Emperor

hershostropoler, and about not being unified, well just read few posts back where people talk about British people.
Old July 30, 2003, 08:37   #118
C0ckney
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Crunch
I have never really understood the argument for European federalisation. I don't see the need to hand over power to a 'superstate' unless it is beneficial, and I also wonder why so many fear that that is going to happen. If we don't want to sign up to an act of federation then we won't.
but it won't be as simple as that, the government won't present the 'surrender our nation to brussels act' tomorrow or any time soon, it will happen gradually. we'll have things like the new european constitution, nibling away at westminster's power, most people won't consider each little surrender of power as important enough to have much impact on who they vote for nationally, and of course we won't get a chance to vote directly on things like the european constitution. because by and large british people don't want any more european interference in the way their country is run and would vote against things like the constitution.

edit: grammar

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Last edited by C0ckney; July 30, 2003 at 08:56.
Old July 30, 2003, 08:46   #119
HershOstropoler
Settler

Quote:
Hershostropoler, read the earlie thread. Link is in the first post of this thread.
There it's the same troll and whine over and over again.

Ok, you have no point, no need for me to ask about it.
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old July 30, 2003, 08:50   #120
Pekka
Emperor

hershostropoler, Hmm, and you have been only here to say I'm a troll and I have no points. That would make you with 0 points to this matter as well.

In this thread, at this page, few people have already said, that many folks in UK consider themselves British, and the euro thing is not always that great thing.
So, that counts to unity thing, does it not?