Old July 30, 2003, 10:44   #151
Combat Ingrid
Prince

Local Time: 15:32
Local Date: November 2, 2010
No Pekka, I'm not
But I suspect that whatever good EU will ever achieve you will probably still be unhappy with it. I know many people like that in northern Sweden. They are against EU because they don't like it
I'm not saying you are like that, but you do sound like it.
Old July 30, 2003, 10:48   #152
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 09:32
Hersh, I'll answer to you when I get back, time to BBQ!!

But I disagree with the most points you said right there, not all, but most.

edit: I meant to say AGREE, not disagree..

Keep on debating, and bring BRITNEY!

Combat Ingrid, well, let's just say I'm little sceptic, but if I see real victories, I'll promise to recognize them. Also I promise that I will change my opinion on this matter if future proves me wrong.

I didn't say Europe or EU is evil or bad. I'm just saying, it is not all that, what people are trying to say it is. At least not yet. Maybe in the future, just maybe, if we're lucky and fortunate enough, then _maybe_.

I'm just bashing the TRUE EUROs here mostly. I have no problems with Europeans or Europe. I have never claimed I have problems with them. And the fact that I am one of them is a fact, and I'm not denying it. But I said that I don't identify myself with it. Well let's say if we were to become one big happy family, maybe I would feel it if enough time was given. But as of now, as the current situation is, we're still only talk and air and myth.

Maybe it will become reality one day, I hope so even if I don't sound like it, I hope nothing but good things for Europe and EU, but ... well we will just have to see about it. NOW I'm out of here. Pork ribs and beer. Mmmm...
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Last edited by Pekka; July 30, 2003 at 10:54.
Old July 30, 2003, 10:54   #153
Saras
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by HershOstropoler

Of course.

Just not in the bastardized english meaning.
Please elaborate. Inquiring minds want to know.
Old July 30, 2003, 11:05   #154
HershOstropoler
Settler

Local Time: 07:32
Quote:
Originally posted by Saras

Please elaborate. Inquiring minds want to know.
In the most simple version:
Federal in english usually implies advocating centralisation in a state.
Föderal in german is just describing decentralised systems beyond a certain level of integration, and not limited to a state.

The Federalism debate is useless anyway as it's about the right and wrong of definitions. Tell me what you mean by Federalist, and I'll tell you whether I'm one or not.
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old July 30, 2003, 11:07   #155
Paul Hanson
King

"Federal" actually implies a level of decentralisation in a state, as opposed to centralisation.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.
Old July 30, 2003, 11:12   #156
Combat Ingrid
Prince

Local Time: 15:32
Pekka: fair enough. Enjoy the beer!
Old July 30, 2003, 11:13   #157
HershOstropoler
Settler

"Federal" requires a certain level of decentralisation, yes, but Federalist is still often used as advocating more centralisation and/or "statehood", whatever that may be.
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old July 30, 2003, 11:18   #158
Saras
Emperor

In my mind is the old debate at the end of Soviet Union, how moderates in Moscow wanted to transform USSR into a “confederation”, giving us rebels more power but keeping us in, while hardcore commies wanted to keep USSR a “federation”, i.e., the status quo.
Old July 30, 2003, 11:23   #159
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 08:32
Quote:
Originally posted by Combat Ingrid
After reading several pages of Pekka's whining EU-critical argumentation, I recalled (for some reason) this quote from "Life of Brian":
My favourite "Life of Brian" scene
Old July 30, 2003, 11:26   #160
HershOstropoler
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Saras
In my mind is the old debate at the end of Soviet Union, how moderates in Moscow wanted to transform USSR into a “confederation”, giving us rebels more power but keeping us in, while hardcore commies wanted to keep USSR a “federation”, i.e., the status quo.
Well the USSR has never been a proper federation as the federal elements of the state were overlaid by the centralization of the communist party.

Federation vs confederation is a funny topic. There was a long standing disupute in german constitutional doctrine whether the Reich as founded in 1871 was a federation or confederation....
Old July 30, 2003, 11:55   #161
Saras
Emperor

Well, what was it then?
Old July 30, 2003, 12:00   #162
Rogan Josh
Prince

I am European. I have lived in the UK, Germany and France. I can speak English, French and German, and I am familiar with the different habits and cultures in each of these countries. I can drive on both sides of the road...

What more could you want?
Old July 30, 2003, 12:03   #163
HershOstropoler
Settler

"Well, what was it then?"

A mixed system with elements typical for both.

Those two are just categories. As the EU really does not fit either, it's often described as supranational. For example direct effect and precedence of Community law is usually found in federations, the implementation need of 2nd and 3rd pillar acts in confederations. Another oddity is a directly elected Parliament that represents peoples, not a single people. Federal or confederal? Pretty meaningless, unless you love specific terms.
Old July 30, 2003, 21:22   #164
Pekka
Emperor

Well coming back little drunk, I can now do something I will regret and admit I was only pulling your legs.
However I still don't feel European. But I was too provocative and tried to get you p.o.'d for my own childish pleasure. I feel stupid that I did it and I apologize to everyone. TRUE EUROs are still a real thing though, and I find them funny folks.

And remember this post, it should be enough for you to go with few years, because I rarely apologize. I barely take myself to situation where I have to be sorry later, that's what my daddy taught me. So there.
Old July 30, 2003, 21:31   #165
Chemical Ollie
King

Hey Pekka, was that your opinion about the upcoming join-the-Euro-or-not vote in Sweden? Or was it just some drunk bullshit I should forget about? ZZZZZZ!!
Old July 30, 2003, 21:31   #166
Pekka
Emperor

And I'm little disappointed, that no one really called out my cards. Is this what I always sound like? Do I lack all debating skills, or why do I feel like you take me seriously? Maybe I have been joking around too much.
It's a sign of a true bastard that you don't know when he's kidding or serious . Yes, I am at the mercy of moderators.. vacation I seek not, but I will take what is just in the eyes of the ultimate rule enforcers in direct connection and descendants of God.
Old July 30, 2003, 21:33   #167
Chemical Ollie
King

As I said....
Old July 30, 2003, 21:33   #168
Pekka
Emperor

Olaf, that wasn't me. I have never discussed that issue. I already came down from my drunken night, but you seem to be doing still pretty well, so go on with full power!!

Tomorrow is a new day, and new BBQ day! Sweet..
Old July 30, 2003, 21:40   #169
Chemical Ollie
King

Yeah, me and my wife will eat prawn tomorrow evening. I am drunk now, and I rule the world...

This is the view from were we will eat. Why should I care about anything else?
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	solnergång.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	50704  
Old July 30, 2003, 21:41   #170
Pekka
Emperor

That's all you need really. Looks beautiful. Makes me want to go swimming. That is lake? Is it warm?
Old July 30, 2003, 22:02   #171
Chemical Ollie
King

22 degrees centigrade