Old July 25, 2003, 20:08   #1
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 02:32
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
D*MNIT, are we gonna fix things or not!!!
Everyone, please peruse this picture for a bit... screenshot taken at 8:05pm EDT on 7/25/03.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	forums.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	50402  
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2003, 20:13   #2
Chilean President™
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin Lovers
Deity

What's the problem?
Old July 25, 2003, 20:16   #3
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I think this happens when it does not see you as logged in. Why is something I do not know.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2003, 20:35   #4
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Nope, I'm logged in. This simply shows that friggin' NO ONE was in the General or Strategy forums (among other things).

You think that's the case at, oh, CFC for instance?
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Old July 25, 2003, 20:39   #5
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

PBEM and Democracy Games... looks good to me.
Jon Shafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2003, 20:44   #6
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 00:32
What is there in the Strat forum to compete with the smart-assed smack talk of the PTW DemoGame? We should come up with something enertaining to draw people....

How about a bake sale?!
GhengisFarb™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2003, 20:48   #7
Theseus
Emperor

CP, the light bulbs indicate who is in what forums... ignore the heathens who come after.

Really, I think this is bad.

Old July 25, 2003, 20:56   #8
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

I'm sure the traffic will pick up with the release of Conquests and all new elements to debate and analyze.
GhengisFarb™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2003, 22:02   #9
badams52
King

Local Time: 22:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I always thought burned out lightbulbs on a forum means that there are no new posts in that forum since you last visited poly. Which would mean the other forums were more active since the last time you visited, but doesn't mean that they weren't being read.

Now a lightbulb on a person means they're either logged in at the moment or not (which can also be hidden if I remember correctly). Which means at the time of my edit of this post (around 19:15 PDT), Theseus, vxma1, Chilean President, and Trip have all found better things to do on a Friday night besides looking and posting at Apolyton, but as for myself and GhengisFarb, well, what can we say...
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	lightbulbs.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	3.5 KB
ID:	50408  

Last edited by badams52; July 25, 2003 at 22:09.
badams52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2003, 22:21   #10
FrostyBoy
Emperor

Local Time: 14:32
Yup thats right badams52
Old July 25, 2003, 23:19   #11
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 01:32

Where's the conquests forum?

Are you upset that Poly is up for once?

And Theseus, is that the default forum-view? Damn n00b.
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2003, 23:51   #12
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

I have been noticing some good things at CFC too. The best thing at CFC IMO is the creation forums.

Theseus, I assume you are still a little mad that the new RCP strat came from there?

We should start by adding a Conquests forum. And then maybe with a Conquests forum we could also get some more Atari traffic here?

Quote:
How about a bake sale?!

Sell your photos
Sheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2003, 00:39   #13
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheik
I have been noticing some good things at CFC too. The best thing at CFC IMO is the creation forums.
I have to agree with this. The creation forums and mods there are far better there. Very easy to find what you're looking for. I don't know if they have more stuff, just that what they do have is easy-I don't like trying to find stuff here.

Quote:
We should start by adding a Conquests forum. And then maybe with a Conquests forum we could also get some more Atari traffic here?
I agree. 1st get the stability. 2nd get the conquests forum. Atari will post there. Better for Poly
Old July 26, 2003, 00:43   #14
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
Nope, I'm logged in. This simply shows that friggin' NO ONE was in the General or Strategy forums (among other things).

You think that's the case at, oh, CFC for instance?
I do not see CFC as all that active either. I would expect the biggest draw back to this forum is that it is often not available and is often very slow.
The reason I thought it was the login was that you cut off the parts that show activity. That is what I get when I am not logged in.
I tend to check in 5-6 times a day, but do not hang around. I look for new post and bail out.
If I do not get any emails, then I know the site is having problems.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2003, 07:12   #15
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 06:32
badams and Sn00py are right, Theseus: The light bulbs show if there have been any new posts in those fourms since you were last logged on.

Also, note that the Strat forum has more posts than General. Surely that's a good thing, no?
Old July 26, 2003, 11:11   #16
Theseus
Emperor

Are you sure? I guess it could be a cookie problem, but I haven't been in some of the other forums in ages.

Well, maybe it's my bad... but in an ideal 'poly world, new posts would be happening often enough that the lightbulbs would always be on.

Old July 26, 2003, 11:20   #17
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
I guess it could be a cookie problem, but I haven't been in some of the other forums in ages.
It resets every time you log-out (automatically after you are unconnected from the server for five minutes). You don't actually have to open the forum page, simply being logged onto 'poly counts.

Quote:
Are you sure?
Yes. (the picture attached to badams' post proves it).

On the other hand, in the default forum style (which it looks like you use) the lightbulbs next to a user's name shows whether they are currently logged on or not. The forum software using the same graphic to denote two seperate things is where your (understandable) confusion has probably arisen.
Old July 27, 2003, 16:24   #18
Jeff_ATARI
Atari

Quote:
I admit, it would be easier to keep tabs on the latest reactions to recent Civ Conquests news, and for some of us to pop in and make a comment, if there were a separate Conquests forum.

Best,
Jeff Foley
Atari
Jeff_ATARI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2003, 16:28   #19
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 23:32
Thanks for the support Jeff!

Dan and/or Mark - Can this be done?

EDIT: Sent a PM to DanS in reference to starting a Conquests Forum.

Last edited by Wittlich; July 27, 2003 at 16:34.
Wittlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2003, 16:42   #20
Sheik
King

Quote:
EDIT: Sent a PM to DanS in reference to starting a Conquests Forum.
Thank you.

And thank you Jeff for supporting my suggestion.

Sell your photos
Old July 27, 2003, 18:04   #21
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

I think the PTW forum was only opened a few days before release...

Or maybe that was the MP forum...
Jon Shafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2003, 18:08   #22
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 08:32
Wittlich :
Did you send the PM to DanS or DanQ ? I really doubt DanS will be able to do anything for the creation of the conquest subforum. Heck, I don't even think he has any interest in Civ3.

Trip:
The PtW forum was opened as soon as the news of the expansion were made public, somewhere around May or June. A separate Conquest subforum has not been created because the extra traffic wasn't enough to justify it.
Spiffor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2003, 18:10   #23
asleepathewheel
Emperor

a conquests forum would be nice. a couple long threads is not good at all.
Old July 28, 2003, 06:29   #24
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 23:32
Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
Wittlich :
Did you send the PM to DanS or DanQ ? I really doubt DanS will be able to do anything for the creation of the conquest subforum. Heck, I don't even think he has any interest in Civ3.
Actually, I sent the PM to DanQ...but after I thought about it, I also sent a copy to DanS too - just to cover the bases.
Old July 29, 2003, 00:58   #25
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Theseus is smarting for the fact RCP was invented at CFC and not here, thinks me...

Don't worry bro, considering the plethora of other strategies which have come out of here, I think it might also be a little arrogant to think that every hot new theory must necessarily come from Apolyton. That's like saying every new piece of electronics must always come from Japan, every new culinary delicacy from France and every new software from the US. Sometimes great things come from other places too.

Kudos to CFC for finding out RCP. I'm glad someone did, if they didn't do it, perhaps it would have taken months before someone else did. The more things that are discovered in other sites, the better it is for the entire civ community.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Master Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2003, 03:15   #26
Vlado
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:32
What does RCP stand for?
Vlado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2003, 04:19   #27
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Ring City Placement. It's a theory which says corruption related to # of cities is not affected with cities the same distance from the capital or FP. N-W-S-E tiles count 1.5 while NW-SW-SE-NE tiles count 1.

Try it, it works

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Master Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2003, 06:25   #28
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

A flavour-of-the-month strategy that exploits a corruption bug that will probably be fixed in the next patch? No thanks.
Old July 29, 2003, 08:24   #29
Cort Haus
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 07:32
Quote:
Originally posted by Vlado
What does RCP stand for?
I thought it stood for Revolutionary Communist Party. Then again, they haven't stood any candidates for years...
Cort Haus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2003, 09:50   #30
Sheik
King

Quote:
What does RCP stand for?
Ring City Placement. It is the latest strat in city placement and takes advantge of how the game calculates corruption.

I don't think it will be fixed in the next patch. It is a legit and very good strategy.

Sell your photos