Old June 18, 2003, 19:01   #1
Tassadar500
Emperor

Local Time: 23:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Civs in Civ3: Conquests
I dont know if this has been announced but the Incas and Mayans are in. It is shown in screenshots
Tassadar500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2003, 19:07   #2
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 00:34
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Ah.

Well, actually, the list includes four known civs (question marks indicate reasonable guesses):

The Inca
Inca Atahualpa (?)
Incan Scout
Cuzco (?)

The Maya
Chief Pikal (?)
Mayan Javelineer
Palenque (?)

The Hittites
King Mursilis
Light Chariot (?)
Hattusas (?)

The Sumerians
King Gilgamesh
Enkidu Warrior
Uruk (?)
History Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2003, 19:12   #3
Tassadar500
Emperor

*sigh* The Middle East is to crowded.
Old June 18, 2003, 19:46   #4
cookieman
Settler

Local Time: 06:34
no europe is too crowded, i mean, there are very few asian civs, african civs and almost no american civs. (but this is obviously being taken care of) i think that focus should be moved to asia, africa and america
cookieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2003, 19:46   #5
cookieman
Settler

no europe is too crowded, i mean, there are very few asian civs, african civs and almost no american civs. (but this is obviously being taken care of) i think that focus should be moved to asia, africa and america
cookieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2003, 20:11   #6
Tassadar500
Emperor

No. America has the Mayans Inca's the Americans and the Iroquis. Asia has Mongol China Japan and Korea. Europe is crowded in real life as well. So that is quite accurate.
Old June 19, 2003, 01:03   #7
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

I have to admit that I'd be somewhat surprised if they don't include Canada as a civ someday (if not Conquests then the next expansion). I know the programmers are trying to attain more of a balance by including many current and past cultures, but I've noticed Canadian posters asking for it for quite a while.

Plus it has the added bonus of fitting into the block of American civs.
Rhothaerill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2003, 06:24   #8
BulMaster
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Warlord

LOL we were asking for bulgaria way back when they announced the civ3 project. I even have my question posted in the Q&A about custom civ, the point they didn't got the question corectly an answered the second unimportant one

Kind Regards
BulMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2003, 10:30   #9
Tassadar500
Emperor

I dont know. Canada is too young of a country I think.
Old June 19, 2003, 11:38   #10
CrONoS
Civ4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 02:34
... I think when we canadians post about to include canada is a little bit "ironic".
I really dont think Canada deserve to be a Civ!!!
Canada is not too young, but we do not have a real millitary tradition,(we've been in war againt U.S.A. long time before)... we participate in World War 1 and 2, the korean war, but we do not have any "millitaristic/expansionist tradition" and we do not want to control the world... since we got a lot of trouble just by ourselves.

But we all know Canada one day, will control the whole world, it's a matter of fact, not opinion and the french province of Quebec will control the Canada too!!! is just kiddin!

But Canada a civ...
UU is WoodCutter: Worker working two times faster.
Or
"Courreurs de Bois": Scout with 2 of mov!!!!
==========================================
So have fun!

"Not by force of arms are civilizations held together, but by subtle threads of moral and intellectual principle." - Russell Kirk

Last edited by cronos_qc; June 19, 2003 at 15:39.
CrONoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2003, 12:29   #11
CrONoS
Emperor

I've forget another one UU for Canada:
Avro Arrow: Supersonic plane made by Canadian in Canada, but was cancelled: Oh yeah, this plane make his first flight in 1958!
-----
It called for a manoeuvre capability of at least 2 G at Mach 1.5 at 50,000 feet at full weight with all combat missiles aboard. This daunting list of requirements, which can scarcely be exceeded by combat aircraft today, was the reason the Arrow was to be powered by enormous engines especially designed for it, and had to stow all missiles inside for maximum drag reduction.
With the new Iroquois engine, which delivered considerably more power, the Arrow was expected to break world speed records. Indeed, projected versions of the plane were to go as fast as Mach 3.
But on the 20th of February, 1959, days before the new Mark 2 series bearing the Iroquois engine was about to be tested, the bad news broke -- the Arrow was to be cancelled. Avro was instructed to immediately halt all work, and to destroy all prototypes and plans.
Employees were sent home, and 14,000 people lost their jobs. The cancellation is widely credited with contributing to the growing Canadian brain drain of the period - NASA grabbed up many of the key people displaced by the move, as did the Concorde and other projects. (can we call this Cultural Flipping, heheheh?)
=======
http://exn.ca/FlightDeck/Aircraft/Mi.../avroarrow.cfm
=======
But to comming back with the Thread:
Maybe we can add another "Amerindians Nation" in the North America? Like the Hurons?
They made an alliance with France to fight against the British and Iroquois.

"Not by force of arms are civilizations held together, but by subtle threads of moral and intellectual principle." - Russell Kirk
Old June 19, 2003, 12:41   #12
gunkulator
Prince

Local Time: 01:34
I say that if Canada is allowed to be a Civ, then so should Quebec!

/troll bait Québécois style

How about we compromise and just include a Nunavut civ?
gunkulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2003, 13:18   #13
CrONoS
Emperor

DELETED(... i've press refress and the post, duplicated)

Last edited by cronos_qc; June 19, 2003 at 15:51.
Old June 19, 2003, 13:22   #14
CrONoS
Emperor

gunk: Nunavut civ.....

But there is other big "tribes" in America, who can be include in Civilization: The Sioux, the Apache... and the Crees too.

Maybe by adding Sioux, Apache or the Crees in Civ, this can be a good thing, by adding more civilization in the America...

More I think about that, I think it's really a good idea to add another amerindians nation.

see ya...

Old June 19, 2003, 15:35   #15
CrONoS
Emperor

History Guy:

Do you know the trait for each unique unit you named before?(hittite, sumerian, inca, maya)?

What I think:

Incan Scout: 0/0/2

Mayan Javelineer: ?/?/?(?)

Light Chariot : 1/1/2 (You can have this charriot at the beginning of the game???)

Enkidu Warrior 2/1/1 ???

Last edited by cronos_qc; June 19, 2003 at 16:02.
Old June 19, 2003, 18:11   #16
Azeem
Prince

The Mayan Javelineer might be a replacement for the archer unit since Mayans did not have very effective archers (contrary to Age of Empires II ) although their Javelins and Atl-atls were extremely deadly.
Only by knowing when to stop can we avoid danger." - Lao-zi, the "Dao-de-jing"
Azeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2003, 18:36   #17
Louis XXIV
C4WDG Stratega
Prince

Here's what I think

Mayan Javelineer 3.1.1 replaces Archer

Incan Scout 0.0.3 Treats Mountain as Grassland

Endiku Warrior 2.1.1 Warrior replacement (could be quite powerful)

Some kind of Light Chariot that is 1.1.3.
Old June 19, 2003, 21:01   #18
volsang
Settler

I don't know if it will happen, but it would be good to have some Empire for Central Africa. Because there is like this big void between Eygpt , Carthage and Zululand.
Old June 20, 2003, 00:57   #19
Azeem
Prince

They should really include Nubia, the Bantu, and/or the Mali Empire in the expansion. If they have Nubia, they could replace the archer unit with their famed "Archer of the Eyes".
Old June 20, 2003, 00:59   #20
Tassadar500
Emperor

Who thinks the Hebrews are in?
Old June 20, 2003, 20:00   #21
Quasar1011
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by volsang
I don't know if it will happen, but it would be good to have some Empire for Central Africa. Because there is like this big void between Eygpt , Carthage and Zululand.
Yeah, that void is known as the Sahara Desert

But seriously, TeTurkhan has a mod that appears as a scenario on PTW. He has included the Abyssinians (Ethiopia); and if I recall correctly, the Songhai, which was a west-Africa empire back in about the 1300s, centered on Timbuktu. The Ashanti is another such empire that could be included for Africa.

From a website:
Ashanti, pronounced uh SHAN tee, are the largest and most powerful ethnic group in the West African country of Ghana. The group's name is also spelled Asante. Most of the approximately 1 1/2 million Ashanti live in south-central Ghana in the Ashanti Region. The capital of the region, Kumasi, is the second largest city in Ghana.

Songhai empire was a black trading state in Africa that reached its peak during the 1400's and 1500's. Songhai began during the 700's, and by the 1400's had more power and wealth than any other west African empire. It extended from the central area of what is now Nigeria to the Atlantic coast and included parts of what are now Burkina Faso, Gambia, Guinea, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, and Senegal. Gao, the capital, stood on the Niger River.

Songhai became powerful chiefly by controlling trade across the Sahara. Most of Songhai's people were farmers, fishers, or traders. The traders exchanged gold and other West African products for goods from Europe and the Middle East.

Two kings, Sunni Ali and Askia Muhammad, strengthened the empire more than any other rulers. Sunni Ali ruled from 1464 to 1492 and began a unified system of law and order, central government, and trade. His army conquered Timbuktu and Jenne, two West African trading centers. Askia Muhammad, also known as Askia I or Askia the Great, became king in 1493. Songhai reached its peak under his rule. Askia reorganized the government, expanded trade, and encouraged the people to practice Islam, the religion of the Muslims. His three sons deposed him in 1528. The empire ended in 1591 when a Moroccan army defeated the Songhai in the Battle of Tondibi.

A link to an article on the Abyssinian empire can be found here:
http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark...abyssinia.html
Quasar1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2003, 21:32   #22
Virdrago
BtS Tri-League
Prince

For African civs I think, if they do have one (or more), either Songhai or its predecessors, Mali and Ghana, would be one, and Abbyssinia/Ethiopia. I'd personally also like to see the Moroccans (Moors), at points in time they conquered Spain, Portugal, Tunisia, Algeria, and ended the Songhai Empire.

What about South-east Asian countries? Cambodia (the Khmers) were pretty powerful early in Western Medieval times, and Burma, Thailand (Siam) and even Vietnam could also be included as possible civs. If you add the Koreans you have to add either the Khmers or Siamese.

As for Canada... being a Canadian, I'm happy without them. I just change the Iroquois to the Canadians and pretend their UU is a stone-age Mountie

I'm glad they'll add the Hittites, Mayans, Incas, and Sumerians, though. I've used other civs and changed the names to be all of them at one point or another.

Other possible civs:

Harappans (Indus civilization)
Franks, Portuguese, Dutch (though I think there are already too many European civs)
Assyrians (though the Middle East is getting crowded, they were the world's first major empire)
Etruscans (see Franks)
Kushites
Virdrago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2003, 21:35   #23
Virdrago
BtS Tri-League
Prince

Nuclear Master:

I don't know, but if Atari is doing a "cradle of Civilization" scenario like they seem to be implying, the Hebrews might be.
Old June 20, 2003, 21:41   #24
Tassadar500
Emperor

I doubt the Franks or Dutch will be in.
Old June 21, 2003, 00:01   #25
Azeem
Prince

Virdrago, the Harappa civilization is the predecessor of the Indian people. The Franks are also the French, who are already in CivIII. Unless only for scenario purposes (such as the Harappa for an Ancient Age scenario or the Franks for a Middle Ages scenario), it's quite useless to have an older form of the same civilization.

As for the Dutch, they could be a possibility for Europe. They did play a significant part in European history.
Old June 21, 2003, 00:01   #26
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 00:34
Franks are already in.

Israel, by rights, should be in, but I am beginning to suspect that they won't be included after all.

Let's face it, the Sumerians, the Incans, the Mayans, and the Hittites hardly had half as great an influence on the shaping of the modern world as did the Israelites.
History Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2003, 00:51   #27
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

I concur HG.
Old June 21, 2003, 00:58   #28
BandicootMan
Civilization III Democracy Game
Settler

Alright..I love Civ 3, bought PTW the second day it came out...

but if Israel is not included, I wont buy this XP, regardless of any other great things it might include.

(Plus, it coincides with my final year of high school, so maybe I shouldn't, anyways.)
BandicootMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2003, 01:06   #29
Tassadar500
Emperor

UGH Franks are in. Isreal better be in. They have impacted the world more then the Mayans But it may be political reasons why they wont.
Old June 21, 2003, 01:17   #30
Virdrago
BtS Tri-League
Prince

HG, how do you know Franks are in? Or is it because they are basically the proto-French?