Old July 9, 2003, 19:18   #1
m0lok0plus
Settler

Local Time: 06:35
Local Date: November 2, 2010
preview
there's a new preview of conquests on http://www.videogames.com (gamespot)
m0lok0plus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2003, 19:39   #2
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 02:35
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
WOW!!!

Holy...

Sounds great.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2003, 19:39   #3
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 00:35
Woah! Best yet!

Good screens, very good screens. Lots of info. This actually does look impressive.
History Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2003, 19:52   #4
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 23:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Cool! Thanks for the info m0lok0plus.

It looks like they have taken to heart a lot of the things that have been discussed in the forums here. Two new civ traits, scientific GL's for the builder strategy, two 'old' governments, etc.

The only thing I'm wondering about is the comment about keeping multiplayer separate. Does this include PBEM games as well?
Rhothaerill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2003, 19:55   #5
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 02:35
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
And irrigating mountains, and lots of other stuff.

Crap city placement though.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2003, 20:38   #6
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

THE RUN DOWN

- New leaderheads include what appears to be either the Incan or the Mayan leader, but more likely the former. Another leaderhead looks quite Polynesian.

- As shown earlier, the Incan special unit is the Chasqui Scout, but now it's 2/1/1!

- We've got a Sumerian screen showing Enkidus in action. They are actually spearman with 2/2/1!

- The Hittite Three-Man Chariot is shown in a screen, along with three other units. Two appear to be from scenarios, but I'm not sure about the last. It shows a distinctly Iberian-looking pikeman. If the Portuguese are a civ, they seem to be the UU.

- The Swamp terrain is shown very clearly.

- The Chinese appear to have more cities.

- Troublingly, however, the Sumerians appear to be Expansionistic. In the scenario in which they appear (apart from the game, for they are also a civ), they build a Burial Mound. The Mesopotamia Scenario includes as civs the Phoenicians. They are commercial and expansionists, ruled by Hiram, but are not regular civs. They begin with Pottery, Wood Working, and Shipbuilding. They build as UUs the Curraghs, small ships. Also included as civs are: Sumeria, Egypt, Mycenae, Babylon, Phoenicia, Hatti and Medea... No ISRAEL??! Wonder victories are allowed. The Phoenicians have a monopoly in... The Cedars of Lebanon!!! Wonders include the Temple of Artemis. Other technologies include Animal Domestication, Chariotry, Sailing, Cuneiform, Mining, Diplomacy, Oligarchy, Stone Working, Irrigation, Epic Work Projects... Ages include the Bronze Age and the Iron Age.

- In the Mesoamerican scenario, we have exotic birds, alpacas, and jade shown. Also, ritual sacrifice improves cultural ratings, and Codex, Stela, and Ball Court are improvements. Civs include the Mochi. New techs include Terrace Farming (allowing irrigation on hills or mountains), Celestial Knowledge, Pack Animal, Military Tactics, Mummification, Body Ornamentation, Blood Cult...

- The Sengoku Campaign is very impressive looking. Ninjas, techs, the whole deal. You can trade with Portugal to get gunpowder and arquebusiers. Bushido is a tech. The Oda, Imagawa, Takeda, Uesgui, Hojo, Urakami, Mogami, Date, and Saito, like the Mori, are civs for this scenario. Improvements include treasuries, Non-Kyogen Theaters, Fief Establishments and archives. Units include Magistrates, Samurai Spearmen, Samurai Archers, and Siege Crossbows!

- The WWII scenario, thank heavens, includes the Japanese. The Japanese, ruled by Hirohito, have the Hiryu, a very large aircraft carrier. The Chinese, controlled by Generalissimo Chiang Kai Shek, can build MG Battalion. It looks as though Divine Wind is a tech for the Japanese, so I'm guessing that means Kamikaze modes for air units.

- Fixed Diplomacy is in!

Last edited by History Guy; July 9, 2003 at 20:47.
Old July 10, 2003, 07:49   #7
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 07:35
Did anyone else notice the reference to a "silent hunter" in the mesoamerican scenario and the hint at some sort of stealth ability for land units (also the ninjas in the Sengoku scenario).

I wonder just how that is going to work. The lack of special forces units/abilities has been a disappointment until now IMHO. I hope it is more than just the existing hidden nationality and invisible abilities.
Old July 10, 2003, 09:22   #8
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 01:35
Wow, this expansion looks very impressive. Can't wait. love the new traits and the sacrificing in the maya scenario. hehe
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2003, 11:30   #9
History Guy
King

Cerberus,

I think this means that this unit can become invisible (only visible to the Sokei Warrior Monk, in fact), and that the Ninja can then prey on the enemy without being seen. Also, they can attack stacks and aim for a specific unit in that stack without being engaged by the others.
Old July 10, 2003, 11:32   #10
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Unfortunately, I will have to wait until I get home to read this (although I saw the screen shots, very, cool, very promising). My work computer blocks Gamespot (but oddly, only certain parts of Apolyton) as falling in the dreaded forbidden "Games" category.
Old July 10, 2003, 18:57   #11
Danarchy
Settler

Local Time: 22:35
Quote:
Originally posted by History Guy - We've got a Sumerian screen showing Enkidus in action. They are actually spearman with 2/2/1!
I hope there is something that differentiates them from Numidian Mercenaries. It would be kind of lame for two Civs to have virtualy the same UU.
Quote:
Improvements include treasuries, Non-Kyogen Theaters, Fief Establishments and archives.
I think that's Noh-Kyogen, but I could be wrong.

The game looks rockin'. I'm definately going to buy this when it arrives.
Danarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2003, 19:32   #12
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

Take heart, Danarchy, 'cause the preview also mentions that ALL the unique units are being 're-jigged' (my words, not theirs ) to make them far more useful. This will, I feel, make the chance of two UU's being the same almost impossible!! Also, for everyone else, Trip has hinted in another thread that ALL features available in Scenarios (like Slaves, Sacrifice, Natural Disasters etc) are available in the Editor!!! You sly old dog, Trip . It all sounds GREAT to me !!!!

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker
The_Aussie_Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2003, 21:36   #13
History Guy
King

Hopefully this means that they change Bowman around, otherwise the Enkidu Warrior will match perfectly...
Old July 11, 2003, 03:47   #14
Dr. A. Cula
Warlord

Local Time: 09:35
Is it me or does one of those screenshots show a volcano in action? From that picture I also understand that volcanoes will be responsible for some polution. That will make the game interesting.

I hope this means they have some sort of events mechanism implemented. I'd hate having to spend 6000 years cleaning up after the same active volcano.
Old July 11, 2003, 14:29   #15
Slax
Prince

The Central America scenario shows a city founded on a mountain.
Slax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2003, 01:26   #16
The Emperor Fabulous
Civ4 SP Democracy Game
King

Seven?! Seven civs?! What happened to the eighth?!

Too bad Canada...
The Emperor Fabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2003, 02:19   #17
Danarchy
Settler

Local Time: 22:35
Quote:
Originally posted by The_Aussie_Lurker
Take heart, Danarchy, 'cause the preview also mentions that ALL the unique units are being 're-jigged' (my words, not theirs ) to make them far more useful.
Cool, I hope so. After posting this, I just realised the Numidian Merc and the Bowman are the exact same unit, except for a difference in cost . If they did add that Enkidu warrior at 2/2/1 without changes that would come out to 3 identical units. o_O

But I bet they'll make the changes they need.
Danarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2003, 03:40   #18
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 08:35
Quote:
Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous
Seven?! Seven civs?! What happened to the eighth?!

Too bad Canada...
hi ,

they still have 8 on the site , ......

could some-one from Firaxis comment on that , .....

have a nice day
Panag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2003, 07:48   #19
WarpStorm
King

24 +7 = 31
Old July 12, 2003, 09:37   #20
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 08:35
Quote:
Originally posted by WarpStorm
24 +7 = 31
hi ,

and one as placeholder for the barb's , ...... total = 32

but ( here it comes ) ;

Sid Meier's Civilization® III: Conquests is the 2nd exciting expansion pack to Sid Meier's Civilization® III, the greatest strategy game of all-time!

Sid Meier's Civilization® III: Conquests takes players on a provocative journey through the ages as they pursue victory in the most famous conquests in history.

What does Civ® Conquests give to fans of the award-winning series? Simply put - more Civ: More to Build, More to Fight, More to Rule!

Civ fans will discover intriguing new civilizations, units, wonders, technologies, and abilities to help them triumph in eight professionally designed conquests throughout history. Compete as one of the eight new Civilizations, each with its own powerful leader, unique units and special abilities, and lead your nation to its destiny. New victory conditions, Wonders of the World, terrain elements, resources, city improvements, and governments offer endless variation in your quest to rule the world. Improved multiplayer and play-by-email support, intense diplomatic situations, and a slew of editor enhancements, round out what Time Magazine calls "the greatest computer strategy game of all time."

Do you have what it takes to lead a civilization to greatness? Or, will your nation be conquered by some greater power? You decide.

Take over the World - One Conquest at a time!

Eight professionally designed adventures challenge you to recreate the great conquests of history. Battle for control of Mesopotamia in the Cradle of Civilization, or for the rich and vast resources in the Americas. Then, embark on a campaign through time as you attempt to conquer some of the most powerful civilizations ever and earn a place among the greatest leaders in history!

GAME FEATURES

New Civilizations: Eight new powerful civilizations from the innovative Sumerians to the mystical Mayans.
New Units: Use Trebuchets to batter down the enemy's walls or Sumerian Enkidu Warriors to quickly gain military dominance.
Disasters: Beware the volcanoes, or Pompeii could become your reality.
Diplomacy Options: Locked alliances allow good vs. evil conflicts you'll never forget.
Map Features: Bombard the enemy and leave behind craters.
Resources: Fight for control over Tobacco, Jade, and Exotic Birds.
Wonders: Build the statue of Zeus to make your troops powerful.
Governments: Forming an Islamic Sultanate is just one of the new ways to rule your people.
...And much, much, more!
Civilization® III: Conquests requires the original Civilization® III product in order to play.

this is just one preview that says clearly eight (8) , .......

so what is it going to be , 7 or 8 , .......

have a nice day
Panag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2003, 15:39   #21
volsang
Settler

Quote:
so what is it going to be , 7 or 8 , .......
I would guess it to be 7, but they could be rewritting the ability to add up to more than 31 civ's. You can never tell with this game