Old July 31, 2003, 01:30   #61
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 08:36
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Asher

If your computer didn't come with an internet browser, how would you get it? You'd need to buy it in the store or something.
Somehow it worked just fine with Windows 3.11 and 95, when you had to get a web browser separately. MSIE 3.0 was anyway so bloaty. You can always download your browser in advance.

The difference with a GNU/Linux distro and Windows is that you can remove all the browsers you have at any time, while in Windows you can never remove all of them. MSIE is still around.

Quote:
When your computer ships with IE, you can use it to download Opera or something.
Only a newbie cares about such crapola.
Old July 31, 2003, 01:31   #62
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 18:36
I use Opera for these reasons:

1) It's inbuilt mail client is perfect for looking at my Apolyton mail account while I'm surfing. It also filters all spam without needing to do a thing

2) It doesn't disconnect my 56k whilst loading pages, unlike IE.

3) No pop-ups.

4) Wand saves you the trouble of memorising numerous passwords.

5) Tabbed Browsing

6) Let's you continue from where you were last time.

7) In-built google seaches

8) "Rewind" function. "Next" is perfect for forum surfing

9) Image cache is great for those wanting fast loading pages.

10) Personal toolbar. All the main sites I visit (Apolyton, Google searchbar, CGN et al) are at a glance at the bottom of the page.
Old July 31, 2003, 01:33   #63
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 00:36
Quote:
Originally posted by Asuka
Somehow it worked just fine with Windows 3.11 and 95, when you had to get a web browser separately.
It works "just fine", the catch is you had to pay for it...

The main problem with the anti-trust case is the DoJ had a very hard time arguing how consumers were hurt by MS making browsers free for them.

Quote:
The difference with a GNU/Linux distro and Windows is that you can remove all the browsers you have at any time, while in Windows you can never remove all of them. MSIE is still around.
Can you explain to me why it matters if it's around if all links to it are removed?

One of the reasons Windows is the prominent developer platform is because things like an HTML rendered are integrated. You can use it for your own program by only telling it to use the IE DLL. It's a Godsend for program development, and it is features like that which will keep Windows a monopoly.

Linux geeks gasp at the thought of integrating a standard browser, and that's precisely why Linux geeks never understand why it's impossible for Linux to become the mainstream OS unless they take many pages from MS' book.

Just the facts, ma'am.
Old July 31, 2003, 01:35   #64
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Frozzy
I use Opera for these reasons:

1) It's inbuilt mail client is perfect for looking at my Apolyton mail account while I'm surfing. It also filters all spam without needing to do a thing

3) No pop-ups.

4) Wand saves you the trouble of memorising numerous passwords.

6) Let's you continue from where you were last time.

7) In-built google seaches

9) Image cache is great for those wanting fast loading pages.

10) Personal toolbar. All the main sites I visit (Apolyton, Google searchbar, CGN et al) are at a glance at the bottom of the page.
All of these I use with IE/Outlook.

Quote:
2) It doesn't disconnect my 56k whilst loading pages, unlike IE.
I use a 56k + IE at work and never experience disconnects while loading the page. But maybe something weird at your end is happening.

Quote:
5) Tabbed Browsing
I'm very content with having taskbar entries for each windows. That's how I use Mozilla in Linux and Solaris as well.

Quote:
8) "Rewind" function. "Next" is perfect for forum surfing
"Rewind" is what, exactly?
Old July 31, 2003, 01:40   #65
Rasbelin
Emperor

Quote:
Just the facts, ma'am.
When did I change my gender?
Old July 31, 2003, 01:43   #66
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 18:36
Quote:
"Rewind" is what, exactly?
Let's you return to the very first page you looked at.
Old July 31, 2003, 01:47   #67
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Oh. Can't think when I'd ever use that.

I usually want to go back many pages, but not to the first. That's what the "drop down" back button is good for.
Old July 31, 2003, 01:52   #68
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Man, someone out there oughta release a browser that can just do pages right and not worry about plug-ins or that ****. I mean, what really do you need aside from Back / Forward / Refresh / Stop? (And tabs )

I'd use it. I don't feel like figuring out gestures, or fidgeting with 20 million options, or etc...I'd much rather have a functioning but plain browser than one that's "almost okay" with a billion kajillion features.

That's one of the reasons I like Moz so much--it comes damn close. I start it, I open a few threads on Apolyton, I only use "Back", "Forward", and "Refresh". I don't need gestures that are truly for the lazy or doodad-seeking, nor do I want it to be real customisable--just simple (and good.) Just an option for setting cookies and javascript etc. options and that would be it.

However, when I downloaded both MyIE2 and Opera, they seemed to be deluged with extras...I'm easily overloaded, you know.

(MSIE is a mere failure in this regard compared to Moz.)

I want to be able to open up Apolyton, let it render correctly, maybe go to a few other sites that render everything correctly, and be done with it. I don't want extra crap that I won't ever use. Does anyone know of a browser that will let me do that? (Aside from Moz, which is obviously simple enough for me )
Old July 31, 2003, 02:34   #69
geeslaka
Prince

Local Time: 23:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Konqueror. Also works as a file-browser.
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.
Old July 31, 2003, 05:59   #70
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 06:36
Quote:
Originally posted by Frozzy
Because I'm an idiot I can't get this to work at all.
Old July 31, 2003, 06:36   #71
Zopperoni
Age of Nations TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by mrmitchell
General Thread Ouctome:

Indecisive. The mini-war between Mozilla and Internet Explorer is still in effect. Occasionally a mysterious browser called "Opera" enters the fray and claims itself worthy of comeptition, but no one notices it.
HAH!

I've been counting the opinions:
For IE: 1
For Mozilla: 2
For Opera: 11
Old July 31, 2003, 08:10   #72
geeslaka
Prince

Local Time: 23:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Zopperoni: you forgot one.

For Konqueror: 1
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.
Old August 5, 2003, 13:55   #73
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher
And I hate the URL-bar's interface -- when doubleclicking, it should select the entire line, like every other Windows program.
Um... So what happens if you double-click on a line in Word(Pad)? Only in NotePad does it select the entire line.

If you want to select the entire line, you have to click 3 times... Well, I'm just assuming that's how Mozilla (I use Opera) works because that's how it works in all other Windows applications.

And how is this a bad thing? I would actually prefer it, because it allows for easier "URL editing".
Most of the times I use the URL field at all is when I want to change (some part of) it, and having it only select one component makes that a lot easier.

If you want the entire line, just click once more.