Old August 4, 2003, 13:48   #241
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 00:36
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Shiber
that Lego let themselves be bullied into a NAP in the first place.
It's amazing the pressure one can place on another team as they watch you microwave their lego blocks into puddles of useless plastic one by one........
Old August 4, 2003, 15:44   #242
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Is there any way to put a whole thread on your ignore list?

I can't help myself and every time I look in here I see something else that I find annoying/angering. Then I'll say something stupid again and piss everyone off....

Damn it, I can't lock the thread either...

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old August 4, 2003, 16:07   #243
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
I can't help myself and every time I look in here I see something else that I find annoying/angering. Then I'll say something stupid again and piss everyone off....
I think thats what fuels most of the larger threads in this forum.
Old August 4, 2003, 19:52   #244
Hot_Enamel
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 17:36
Wow.. so many posts since my last.

1. @ Nathan

Quote:
Given the absence of immediate danger to your troops and the fact that cooperating with your plans would have placed our own troops in greater danger, our actions have ample explanation independent of accusations of hostile intent.
I doubt anyone disbelieves that GS think that they acted in their best interests. Hell..even I think it. But “acting in your own interests” has nothing to do if GS broke the NAP or not. I am quite happy to agree to disagree on which team broke the NAP so that this thread can die.

1. @ notyoueither

Quote:
GoW has failed to keep a single agreement with GS. Every single one has been broken.
GoW entered into one last agreement with GS with the intent to twist the agreement to their advantage. We would be welcome to send troops to kill RP and then we could bugger off.
GoW attempted to twist an NAP into things which it is not, such as an RoP.
GoW is seriously shocked when the patience in GS for GoW and their 'tricks' has been exhausted and we tell them where to get off when they make demands in a... less than diplomatic tone.

I still get a laugh when GoW tries to point fingers in this. What the hell do they know about honoring agreements when they've never met one they wouldn't break?
Same thing as Nathan. Why does GS want to cloud the issue. I don’t mind GS stating the justification for breaking the NAP was a little bit of pay back. But if you do, don’t keep repeating that the NAP was not broken by GS.
Was it payback/revenge/acting in your best interest or that GS did not act hostile towards GoW ?

My opinion, is that GS broke the NAP because GS felt it was in their best interest to do it.

3. @ Nathan & Shiber

Quote:
I still get a laugh when anyone tries to say a MPP is a NAP
Sorry gentlemen .. I was laughing very hard at this point. I was referring to the RP MPP and should of wrote.
“I still get a laugh when anyone tries to say that our RP MPP was a NAP”
I find it amusing that GS need to comment on it when they have not seen any of the negotiations & offers that surrounded the deal.

4. @ WhiteBandit

5. @ Unorthodox.

Unortho…I am sure that it was just an oversight that you forgot to preface your response with that it was your personal opinion. I for one (who also does not speak solely for the GoW) still firmly believes the GoW did not break the NAP. GS (while acting in their best interests) broke it by allying with our enemy and taking actions to hamper our military forces.

6. @ ….Oh dear… I cant remember….maybe Shiber ??? or just GS in general ??

{edit} - Quite rightly removed

7. @ who else haven’t I offended yet ??

Last edited by Hot_Enamel; August 4, 2003 at 20:48.
Old August 4, 2003, 20:05   #245
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 08:36
OK, back to trash-talk and war rants.

I WILL KILL YOU ALL UNTIL YOU DIE !! :fire:
- Phantom of the Opera
Old August 4, 2003, 20:08   #246
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Hot_Enamel
Why does GS want to cloud the issue. I don’t mind GS stating the justification for breaking the NAP was a little bit of pay back. But if you do, don’t keep repeating that the NAP was not broken by GS.
Was it payback/revenge/acting in your best interest or that GS did not act hostile towards GoW ?
No... I don't think no Stormian will see what we did as payback, certainly not as no Stormian has commented that what we did was even remotely breaking a deal. But what we want to say is that given GoW's track record, maybe others should try to take GoW's promises and public postings with a grain of salt. The NAP was the 6th or 7th deal breaker, and only the first one where GoW finds even a remote possibility to put the blame in our shoes.

One other thing could also be deduced from this: maybe GS is too naive, too friendly, and too forgiving. Maybe we should open up a book of grudges too

DeepO
Old August 4, 2003, 20:31   #247
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I think the fact that GoW is surprised that we took them at their word as being mercenaries is very surprising.

You can call acquiring cities and not granting you an ROP hostile til the cows come home. We will have to agree to disagree about that.

However, no, it wasn't payback for past deeds by GoW. It was a decision that our behaviour should be governed by the context of who we were dealing with, and what the situation was. So yes, our actions were determined by the context, but no our actions were not 'payback'.
Old August 4, 2003, 20:31   #248
Aeson
Emperor

Quote:
then to cowardly hide behind the “cant post any private chat logs” rule so that he cant reply.
HE,

I brought up the private message/chat part. I wasn't just targetting GF, but GS members as well, as was specifically noted with the message. I also noted "Even summary posts shouldn't be made IMO." I think it's just plain wrong, and I am sure it is against forum rules to post private messages publicly, and thought the same logic might apply to private chats. I didn't comment on the subject matter at all, as I don't think it even belongs in the public forums.

If you think I acted cowardly for what I post, address your statement to me. Don't try to hide behind your inability to properly target your inflamitory statements.
Old August 4, 2003, 20:45   #249
Hot_Enamel
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 17:36
Oh Boy ... Yet another GS member who has put me on their sh!t list

Aeson .. You are correct ... I will edit my post to remove it.
Old August 4, 2003, 20:51   #250
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 02:36
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I'm sorry, but what is WRONG with you people???!!!

WhiteBandit's post had me ROTFFLMFAF!!!!

(and should put an end to this back and forth sniping... let this thread die)
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old August 4, 2003, 20:56   #251
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
I WILL KILL YOU ALL UNTIL YOU DIE !!
Killing someone would pretty much would mean that they die, wouldn't it?

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
It was a decision that our behaviour should be governed by the context of who we were dealing with
Man do I feel sorry for whatever it is your getting ready to do to Roleplay......
Old August 4, 2003, 21:17   #252
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb
Man do I feel sorry for whatever it is your getting ready to do to Roleplay......
Why? Contrary to reputations, they've never broken a deal with us, and they've never behaved in any way that would indicate that we should not treat them as we ourselves would want to be treated.

It's almost as if some people are shocked that we would not allow our natures to be taken advantage of, again. What a laugh.
Old August 4, 2003, 21:36   #253
WhiteBandit
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 22:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
I'm sorry, but what is WRONG with you people???!!!

WhiteBandit's post had me ROTFFLMFAF!!!!

(and should put an end to this back and forth sniping... let this thread die)

I agree. What the hell? Hot Enamel and you are the only ones who seemed to notice my post! People are taking this crap too seriously. :P

Anyway, thanks a lot

(04/29/2004) [Trip] we will see who is best in the next round ; [Trip] that is why I left this team ; [Trip] I don't need the rest of you to win |
The solution to 1984 is 1776! | Here's to hoping that GoW's military isn't being run by MasterZen: Hehe! | DaveRocks! or something. ;)
Old August 4, 2003, 23:13   #254
Hot Mustard
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty Python
King

Good grief - this is still going?

Ok boys - I've got a ruler here - whip 'em out!
Old August 5, 2003, 01:04   #255
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Aeson

HE,

I brought up the private message/chat part. I wasn't just targetting GF, but GS members as well, as was specifically noted with the message. I also noted "Even summary posts shouldn't be made IMO." I think it's just plain wrong, and I am sure it is against forum rules to post private messages publicly, and thought the same logic might apply to private chats. I didn't comment on the subject matter at all, as I don't think it even belongs in the public forums.
Aeson, back in the early days of the game set-up, before you decided to join, it was decided that private messages sent in an ambassadorial capacity in connection with this game would carry inplicit permission to share them in ways not normally allowed by Apolyton rules. So it seems to me that the sharing of private communications in this game should be viewed in more the way it would among real-world nations rather than under Apolyton's normal rules governing PMs.

Of course if a PM contains something truly personal, as opposed to part of the game, that would be another matter.
Old August 5, 2003, 02:21   #256
Aeson
Emperor

I was aware of that. I just thought the agreements were to be able to post the conversations 'publicly' in the team forums.
Old August 5, 2003, 04:33   #257
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 06:36
I don't like the fact that this thread is continuing so I'm going to post here saying that I'm surprised this thread is still going. By bumping it to the top of the forum in this way I hope to banish it forever. For some reason I will do this several times and yet still express surprise that the thread hasn't died yet.
Old August 5, 2003, 07:27   #258
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by WhiteBandit
What the hell? Hot Enamel and you are the only ones who seemed to notice my post!
What? You posted somewhere? Was it this thread?
Old August 5, 2003, 07:41   #259
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

I saw and read it and I think it was funny. But I didn't say anything because I think that your post speaks for itself
- Phantom of the Opera

Last edited by Shiber; August 5, 2003 at 08:11.
Old August 5, 2003, 16:36   #260
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 01:36
Quote:
Originally posted by Darekill
The point is, as long as it is for GoW better to fight with us then against us we feel fine.
Darekill,

RP has made that mistake before
Old August 5, 2003, 16:47   #261
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

I don't think Roleplay ever was in the position where it was in GoW's best interests to side with her.
Old August 5, 2003, 16:52   #262
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
However, when RP made their offer we accepted and put ourselves in a condition that we'd have never believed that we'd end up in a few months ago. We got over our emotions when our logic told us that if we leave GoW and ND alone, we're almost forgoing any chances of winning this game at all.

Still, noone was seriously considering lending RP a hand (or at least noone voiced such an opinion on GS's forum, IIRC) until they made us an offer, which happened about two days after the joint GS-GoW-ND chat.
It was also when I was given responsibility for our diplomacy with GS after being gone for quite a number of months. I returned to find in the few chats I sat in on that it seemed a number of teams displayed an odd hostility toward our team that obviously had grown quite a bit over the past several months and which I STILL don't fully understand how it must have done so.

I'm glad that in the case of GS and RP, level heads finally prevailed.

That said, I have a funny feeling based upon the discussions that took place in the RP internal forum, the negotiations I had with GS, and the discussions I've seen out here, that the very polarized opinions of the offer(s) I sent over to GS and we negotiated will undergo a lot of debate for some time to come. So I'm certainly not free from some level of taint for that

As for why people hated RP so much, I'm honestly still confused about the cause of that, but that's almost certainly because I've only heard the whole story of the last several months from other RP people (though a little from Beta and a little from NYE, which offers some clues).

So it will be good to compare notes after the game is over. I'm honestly quite interested about the thoughts of other teams regarding a whole host of various issues, relations with RP only being one of them.
Old August 5, 2003, 17:01   #263
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Seriously, Arnie, most of the people who have mentioned anti-Roleplay feelings to me always insinuate that they stem from being treated unfairly by RP. Justified or not that seems to be a common theme.

An item that comes to mind is the whole we claim the southern half of the continent and no one is allowed to explore there.
Old August 5, 2003, 17:08   #264
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

And here I thought it was because all the DIA members joined RP while all the Hawks joined GoW...

and no, I am never going to let the whole DIA thing drop

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old August 5, 2003, 18:19   #265
Arnelos
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb
Seriously, Arnie, most of the people who have mentioned anti-Roleplay feelings to me always insinuate that they stem from being treated unfairly by RP. Justified or not that seems to be a common theme.

An item that comes to mind is the whole we claim the southern half of the continent and no one is allowed to explore there.
Now THAT I knew about... that's the reason GoW has disliked RP and the reason ND has disliked RP (though ND more specifically for the LAND).

As for GoW and the exploration thing, I was still around when you and Togas had your exceptionally unproductive shouting match via e-mail That spurred Ninot to start talking about deposing Togas and whatnot, Panzer to accuse Togas and RP of being Hitler, much of RP getting royally pissed off at that and the subsequent trial of Ninot for treason while RP-GoW relations continued to plumet

I've been harping about that being the central reason for the continued animosity between GoW and RP for months on end now, both before and after my absense. So I don't consider ND or GoW to be any mystery.

What's a mystery to me is GS and Lego, as Vox makes a bit more sense from what little I've heard about the Vox war.
Old August 5, 2003, 20:19   #266
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Agreed, but the insinuations about unfair dealings have come from Lego and GS members. There are comments in our chat logs between GoW and GS where they frequently comment about unfair Roleplay offers. In fact part of one from a GS member was posted in this forum a few days ago until Aeson requested I remove it.
Old August 5, 2003, 20:51   #267
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by DeepO

One other thing could also be deduced from this: maybe GS is too naive, too friendly, and too forgiving. Maybe we should open up a book of grudges too

DeepO
/me has a feeling he will get an entire chapter dedicated to himself!

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old August 5, 2003, 23:17   #268
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
/me thinks MZ gets a bye for valorious service to the Civ3 nation.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old August 5, 2003, 23:39   #269
Aeson
Emperor

I didn't request you remove it GF. I made a statement about my understanding of forum rules and gave my own opinion on the subject in that regard. Any 'request' made by an argument of that type is purely one of reason. An implied "If you agree with the argument, then act in accordance with it." if you will. That request is made by logic, not myself.
Old August 6, 2003, 08:46   #270
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Aeson
I didn't request you remove it GF. I made a statement about my understanding of forum rules and gave my own opinion on the subject in that regard. Any 'request' made by an argument of that type is purely one of reason. An implied "If you agree with the argument, then act in accordance with it." if you will. That request is made by logic, not myself.
Then you didn't want me to remove it? I felt it was a request, although perhaps an implied one. I had to choose between referring to it as a 'request' or a 'demand' and certainly did view as an adamant demand so considered a request and one that I agreed with and so I edited it from the post.

Now people are taking offense that I call their posts a "request" sheesh, I can't do anything around here without someone getting offended...........