Old July 30, 2003, 10:30   #1
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 00:38
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Network Problem
Okay, I have a network set up in the house. One of the computers won't connect to the internet, so I check the router and its port light (on the router) isn't lighting even. Neither are the activity lights on the back of the network card. So, I'm thinking hopefully someone just stabbed through the wire in a desperate sabatoge, but with a different wire it still doesn't work. I plugged it into a different port on the router but it still doesn't work, and the activity lights on the network card still don't even blink, which brings me to my conclusion that it's something to do with the actual card. (Sorry if I'm being vague here )

It's a Linksys LNE 100TX(v5) network adapter (as it says in the system properties) card plugging into a Microsoft MN-100 Wired Base Station.

Thanks in advance
Old July 30, 2003, 10:32   #2
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 17:38
Try another network card in the box in question. Also, test the cables with other (working) connections. Eliminate what isn't broken, and what you have left is the problem.
Old July 30, 2003, 10:39   #3
Richelieu
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 02:38
Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Try another network card in the box in question. Also, test the cables with other (working) connections. Eliminate what isn't broken, and what you have left is the problem.
Old July 30, 2003, 11:09   #4
Paul Hanson
King

Local Time: 07:38
If the problem is with just one computer, then I'd say it's the card. If it were with all of them, I'd say the router was to blame.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.
Old July 30, 2003, 11:38   #5
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

Local Time: 06:38
Did it ever work? It may not have been installed properly to begin with. You should try reseating it, too, in case it got jarred loose.
Old July 30, 2003, 11:42   #6
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Yes, it had been working fine for the couple of months I had it. I'll try all this though.
Old July 30, 2003, 18:57   #7
mrmitchell
King

Reseat--didn't work.

Went out to buy a new card (I don't have extras laying all over the place) and try it.

Didn't work.

Any ideas?
Old July 30, 2003, 19:03   #8
mrmitchell
King

The computer recognized the new card; it went through with the "Windows has recognised a new device" prompt that it should.
Old July 30, 2003, 19:16   #9
Fve Crathva
Warlord

Local Time: 23:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Is everything plugged in properly?

SP
Old July 30, 2003, 19:17   #10
Paul Hanson
King

Have you tried putting it into a different PCI slot?

Old July 30, 2003, 19:17   #11
mrmitchell
King

Yeap. Everything's in alright. The rest of the computer works just fine; it's just this that happens to be ****ed up.

(If anyone else could help me please do, until then this means that family members will be sharking for my computer as it is the only internet-connected one now)
Old July 30, 2003, 19:18   #12
mrmitchell
King

Quote:
Have you tried putting it into a different PCI slot?
That was the next and last thing I was thinking of doing. Just wanted to see if any Apolytoners had any super-duper secret tricks up their sleeve or something.
Old July 30, 2003, 19:19   #13
Paul Hanson
King

Not likely.

Old July 30, 2003, 20:35   #14
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 22:38
Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
I know people have already said this, but it really sounds like the cable itself is bad.

If you wanna test the card by itself, try plugging the computer directly into the cable modem and not using the router at all. If it works, you know it's either the router or the cable. If it doesn't, you know it's the computer.
Old July 30, 2003, 20:48   #15
mrmitchell
King

I used a different cable. Also, other computers on the network work fine, so it is isolated to this computer.
Old July 30, 2003, 21:15   #16
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 17:38
Did you use a different cable "that was just a spare one" or did you use one that you already knew was working, such as the one to the other computer?

The two cables you tried could both be broken.
Old July 31, 2003, 00:06   #17
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 22:38
Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by mrmitchell
I used a different cable. Also, other computers on the network work fine, so it is isolated to this computer.
Ok, but I still think you should try plugging it directly into the modem, or at least into a different port in the router that you know works. Then you can be 100% sure it's the computer.
EDIT - Oops, I read more carefully, you did that so it's the computer for sure.

Now assuming it's the computer, does your PC have onboard LAN capability i.e. the network card is built into the motherboard. Older computers don't have this but almost every computer now days does. If your computer has the onboard LAN enabled, plugging in a network card isn't only redundant, but it probably won't work. Check your bios to see if you have one. It should be under built in features or something like that. You might not be able to tell from just looking at the back of the computer because the slot might not be punched out (in which case a screw driver will easily pop out the panel).
Old July 31, 2003, 00:22   #18
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

Local Time: 06:38
I don't know what to tell you if none of the listed tips didn't work. PM me with your contact info and I'll try to contact you tomorrow. I'll be at work between 9 and 8pm CST if it's still not working.
Old July 31, 2003, 00:44   #19
mrmitchell
King

Problem fixed. Kinda. I'm going to be getting a new computer for my birthday (all the ones we have are antiquated) so they'll get the one I've got now (which works). It's just a simple contest in fending them away until then now.
Old July 31, 2003, 02:17   #20
geeslaka
Prince

Local Time: 23:38
Good luck.
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.