View Poll Results: Is this a good thing?
Absolutely! 11 61.11%
Man, this really sucks. 2 11.11%
This is good and bad. 0 0%
I don't really care. 2 11.11%
3 16.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 30, 2003, 22:15   #1
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

Local Time: 00:40
Local Date: November 2, 2010
HP's Unix beats Windows in server test
http://news.com.com/2100-1010_3-5057972.html?tag=fd_top

GO UNIX!!! GO UNIX!!! GO UNIX!!!
"And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17
Old July 30, 2003, 22:24   #2
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 03:40
Where has Asher been?
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old July 30, 2003, 22:26   #3
geeslaka
Prince

Local Time: 23:40
Local Date: November 1, 2010
GO UNIX!!! GO UNIX!!! GO UNIX!!!

Did you use the banana tag in the poll?
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.
Old July 30, 2003, 22:33   #4
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

It had better outperform the Windows box, it costs over near two million dollars more!

Go Unix, Go Unix.

The sad state of your troll says more for your desperation than anything else.
Old July 30, 2003, 22:36   #5
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

All this shows is Unix is far less economical...

Windows Price/tpmC: $7.16 US
Unix: $8.28 US

It's also not exactly a fair comparison:
The Unix machine had 55 client computers to help it, the Windows machine had 32.
Old July 30, 2003, 23:04   #6
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Everyone knows *nix is better for servers.

That doesn't mean it's better for everything.

For example, I'm willing to bet that less than 5% of America knows what Unix is. Windows still is better for the millions of computer-illiterate Americans.
Old July 30, 2003, 23:09   #7
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 06:40
I'm willing to bet that if Windows MYSTERIOUSLY disappeared from my computer and was replaced by Unix,

1: I wouldn't be able to get on.
2: Even if I were able to, all my programs would cease to work
3: I'd have to format and install Windows again.

Very bad troll.
Old July 30, 2003, 23:16   #8
geeslaka
Prince

That is because you were trained to use windoze and only windoze. windoze users are trained to be able to use windoze and nothing else. If they are forced to use something else they are completely helpless. If windoze ever dies then windoze users will be **** out of luck. If Unix dies, Unix users will adapt quickly.
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.
Old July 30, 2003, 23:17   #9
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

geeslaka, you are not aware of the fact that a good 95% of America is simply a bunch of morons. Could you train a gorilla to use Unix?
Old July 30, 2003, 23:22   #10
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 17:40
Americans train grunts to use very advanced weaponry all the time.
You could train a gorilla to use Unix.

Having a gorilla teach itself to use Unix is another thing, however.
Old July 30, 2003, 23:47   #11
geeslaka
Prince

On the contrary mrmitchell, I am made painfully aware of it in my computer science class every school day.
XGalaga.
Old July 31, 2003, 01:15   #12
Victor Galis
Emperor

Local Time: 02:40
I refuse to believe that HP makes any product that is any good. My current laptop, which I bought from them broke after less than 6 months of use and had to be sent away for repairs.
Old July 31, 2003, 05:13   #13
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 18:40

Terrible troll
Old July 31, 2003, 08:02   #14
Wraith
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 01:40
--"The Unix machine had 55 client computers to help it, the Windows machine had 32."

The clients don't "help" the server, they put load on it...

Wraith
"Hello. My $NAME is ~inigo-montoya. You killed my process. Prepare to vi."
-- The Unix's Bride
Old July 31, 2003, 08:56   #15
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Wraith
The clients don't "help" the server, they put load on it...
They feed the server, and if you can feed the server faster, it can probably do more.
Old July 31, 2003, 10:40   #16
Q Classic
Emperor

troll! fun fun fun

asereje ja deje
dejebe tu dejebe
deseri iowa a mavy
an de bugui an de guidibidi
a sereje ja deje
dejebe tu dejebe
deseri iowa a mavy
an de bugui an de guidibidi
Old July 31, 2003, 12:25   #17
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Frozzy

Terrible troll
Blah blah blah. Whatever.

It's just a news article. Get over it!
"And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17
Old July 31, 2003, 12:40   #18
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Exactly, Cloud9.

It's a news article that shows Unix is more expensive, and when coupled with more clients to feed information to the server faster, it'll do more.
Old July 31, 2003, 18:41   #19
Wraith
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

--"They feed the server, and if you can feed the server faster, it can probably do more."

You don't understand what they're doing, do you? Sorry, but the number of terminals used is one of the factors they control. Higher end systems are required by the benchmark to use more terminals.

I'm not sure you're too clear on how database loads work out, either. A small number of clients can put a full read load on the database if you choose the calls carefully. Writing to the database is likely to hit a wall long before the read will, so even fewer clients are required. This benchmark, however, is modeled on a real-world situation. Their simulation is write-heavy, which means the number of clients is going to quickly become irrelevant as the disk i/o on the server becomes the limiting factor.

Wraith
"Very Educational!"
-- Kintaro Oe ("Golden Boy")
Old August 2, 2003, 12:01   #20
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 14:40
/me laughs hysterically at Glonkie's proud display of ignorance.

Old August 2, 2003, 12:39   #21
Kuciwalker
Deity

Who's glonkie?
Old August 2, 2003, 12:46   #22
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Asher
Old August 2, 2003, 12:55   #23
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 22:40

"My daddy can beat up your daddy!"

"No, my daddy can beat up your daddy!!!"

"Can not!"

"Can too!"

"Can not!"

"Can too!"

"Can not!"

"Can too!"

"Can not!"

"Can too!"

"Poopoo head!"

"Teacher! He called me a bad name!"

That's about how you guys sound with these trolls.
Old August 2, 2003, 12:56   #24
Kuciwalker
Deity

Yeah, but my daddy really can beat up his daddy!

Old August 2, 2003, 13:14   #25
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Can not!
Old August 2, 2003, 16:20   #26
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

MTG, skywalker, Frustrated Poet: You guys really crack me up!
Old August 2, 2003, 18:29   #27
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Clients have to nothing to contribute to the server performance. Maybe Asher is confusing the number of processors in the system with clients? A 32-way system means it has 32 processors, not 32 clients.
Old August 2, 2003, 21:50   #28
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Merciless
Clients have to nothing to contribute to the server performance. Maybe Asher is confusing the number of processors in the system with clients? A 32-way system means it has 32 processors, not 32 clients.
No, not 32 processors. There were 32 clients on the Windows system, yes, but each client had 2 processors each, which makes it 64 processors total. But if you look at the Unix system you will notice that it has 55 clients, but only 1 processor for each system for a total of only 55 processors.

Hope this clears things up.
Old August 2, 2003, 23:45   #29
Lord Merciless
Warlord

What are you talking about? The comparison is about HP Superdome running 2 different OSes. The processor is Madison and there are 64 of them in the system, which is the standard configuration for a Superdome server.

Besides, you showed that you absolutely don't understand how Superdome is put together. A 64-way Superdome is made up of 2 racks(boxes), each rack has 8 cellboards, and each cellboard has 4 processors and 1 chipset. All cellboards are connected through something called "backplane".

It doesn't surprise me that Superdome is better customized to run HP Unix because its chipsets have their roots from the old PA age. In addition, Superdome is still compatible to the HP PA processors as the new PA8800 will have the same bus as Madison.