Old July 31, 2003, 08:46   #1
Ned
King

Local Time: 22:41
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Bush coddles Castro, betrays liberty
On the news last night I saw a report where the US Coast Guard intercepted a homemade boat 50 mi. off the coast of Cuba. The boat was filled with refugees fleeing to the United States. The Coast Guard took all on board, burned and sunk the boat, and then returned the refugees to Cuba for eventual trial and possible execution by the ruthless Castro government.

I understand that the Coast Guard acted pursuant to a government policy on returning refugees captured at sea. The commentators said that Bush was personally responsible for this policy and noted that in the entire history of refugees fleeing East Germany over the Berlin Wall that not once did the United States return any refugees to the East Germans.

Since George Bush is personally responsible for this horrendous policy, all I can say is that you, George Bush, have betrayed liberty and have betrayed the United States. You coddle the Cuban dictator Castro just as much as did Janet Reno, Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton. George Bush, go to hell.
Old July 31, 2003, 08:49   #2
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Local Time: 01:41
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Bush isn't, Ned. That's the law, and has been.
Old July 31, 2003, 08:53   #3
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 09:41
Ned..

9.32/10
Old July 31, 2003, 08:55   #4
Ned
King

Slowhand, you have to be kidding. This law is so offensive to the very idea of America that I find it incredible that Congress could ever have passed such a law.
Old July 31, 2003, 09:01   #5
Kropotkin
Emperor

Local Time: 08:41
I find it very unlikely that Cuba will execute them. While Cuba do have death penalty, it's as far as I know, not used on common refugees.
Old July 31, 2003, 09:06   #6
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

It doesn't matter how you find it, Ned.
The point of your thread, and my counter-point is, it isn't Bush.
Old July 31, 2003, 09:09   #7
Evil Knevil
Prince

Local Time: 07:41
At least Cuba doesn't execute under 18's and the mentally ill...........

Old July 31, 2003, 09:13   #8
oedo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Re: Bush coddles Castro, betrays liberty
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
The commentators said that Bush was personally responsible for this policy and noted that in the entire history of refugees fleeing East Germany over the Berlin Wall that not once did the United States return any refugees to the East Germans.
exactly!
personally resonsible or not, George Bush Senior and any President before him would have never allowed such a thing.

shame on W
Old July 31, 2003, 09:16   #9
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

Bullshit.
Old July 31, 2003, 09:22   #10
geeslaka
Prince

Local Time: 23:41
Isn't it obvious? Those people were too smart to be allowed into the US.
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.
Old July 31, 2003, 09:23   #11
oedo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

no bullshit. and I know what I´m talking about. I saw how much afford, work and money the allies (especially the US) spent to take East German refugees and political prisoneers.
Old July 31, 2003, 09:26   #12
DaShi
Emperor

Local Time: 06:41
Yeah, but Soviet Russia was always more fun to annoy. They'd get all hot-headed and bang their shoes on desks. Really, a good show. Castro just doesn't seem to care anymore.
Old July 31, 2003, 09:29   #13
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

It is bullshit. This isn't a Bush thing, no matter how many times you repeat it to yourself.

I'm surprised at Ned.
This is the uninformed kind of claptrap Che would dream up.
Old July 31, 2003, 09:31   #14
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

In my mind, it doesn't matter WHO is responsible....those people asked for our help by taking the RISK to build a boat (out of an old Chevy truck, as I recall), had the ingenuity to make it work, and their reward?

We sank it and sent them packing.

That's not the behavior of a country I'd be proud to call home, and no matter "who's fault," that's the crux of the matter.

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old July 31, 2003, 09:33   #15
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

Oh, Christ. Check out Mexicans, if you want to weep.
Old July 31, 2003, 09:34   #16
Meldor
Settler

Local Time: 00:41
Re: Re: Bush coddles Castro, betrays liberty
Quote:
Originally posted by oedo

exactly!
personally resonsible or not, George Bush Senior and any President before him would have never allowed such a thing.

shame on W
Sorry to burst your bubble but this has been US policy since at least the days of JFK. But don't think it just applies to Cubans. It applies to any refuges found trying to enter the US by the sea. If they are found at sea headed for the US, they are returned to the country origin and any makeshift vessel that they might be using is sunk as a navigational hazzard.

Are you too young to remember all the flap over the Haitian refuges? The ones we put in camps at Gitmo before we shipped them back? Have you forgotten about Elian? Have you forgotten that he was taken by Federal troops (which btw had no jurisdiction in a state custidy suit) and return him to Cuba?

We have been doing this for years. The only thing "special" about Cubans is that if them manage to get one foot on American soil before they are caught, they are automatically granted political asylum.

You, and which ever reporter filed the report, need to actually find out about what you are going to say before you make wild and unfounded statements.
Old July 31, 2003, 09:36   #17
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

Cuban's have it better than anyone. ANYONE.
Old July 31, 2003, 09:36   #18
DaShi
Emperor

Actually, I think I have it a bit better than most Cubans.
Old July 31, 2003, 09:37   #19
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Mexico isn't a communist dictatorship tho, is it? Nor does that statement change the fact that it's fairly easy to get here from Mexico....not as much risk....pretty easy to swim the river...create a distration and you're in.

Not quite so easy to escape from Cuba and get here tho, true?

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old July 31, 2003, 09:39   #20
Meldor
Settler

Local Time: 00:41
Quote:
Originally posted by Velociryx
In my mind, it doesn't matter WHO is responsible....those people asked for our help by taking the RISK to build a boat (out of an old Chevy truck, as I recall), had the ingenuity to make it work, and their reward?

We sank it and sent them packing.

That's not the behavior of a country I'd be proud to call home, and no matter "who's fault," that's the crux of the matter.

-=Vel=-
Do you have any idea of the thousands and thousands of people who attempt this every year. It is nothing more than another attempt at illegal immigration. On top of that, if you allow the people to be brought here if they are found at sea, it will only serve to encourage more people to take the chance and cause even more deaths. The number of people that die attempting this is not casual. It is a lose/lose type of thing.
Old July 31, 2003, 09:41   #21
Kropotkin
Emperor

Local Time: 08:41
It's the cubans own fault that they live on an island. If they would have been as smart as the mexicans, that live on the continent, they wouldn't have had this problem. Would they? It's in the interest of the united states to have smart immigrants, not morons that live on an island.

And damn it, couldn't we have a decent damn smiley, not some dork with a stupid hat!
Old July 31, 2003, 09:43   #22
Velociryx
staff

Yes, I am aware of the numbers, and I fully realize that this is not an isolated case.

Cuba is a small country, with a small population. Lose those thousands each year and the nation cannot sustain itself (nobody much left to sustain). But yes, let's turn back the clock by all means and ship all the East Germans back, too. Let's send everybody packing who seeks asylum from governments they do not want to be a part of.

That takes a ton of courage, don't it?

-=Vel=-
Old July 31, 2003, 09:47   #23
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

DaShi, that's the kind of dumbass remark I've come to expect from you.
Thanks for being dependable.
Old July 31, 2003, 09:48   #24
Velociryx
staff

Further, isn't it a shade inconsistent to be soooooooo concerned for the oppressed Iraqui people that we're willing to go in guns blazing, risking American blood and American lives for their liberation from oppression, but we turn back people trying to escape a similar oppression (even tho letting them in poses no risk to us or our troops)? You don't find those two positions at odds with each other? Not even a little?

But of course, Cuba doesn't have anything we want, and didn't make the "Axis of Evil" cut, so we haven't gone in guns blazing, and they can just rot in their oppression, right?

-=Vel=-
Old July 31, 2003, 09:55   #25
Ned
King

Slowhand, I am simply repeating what I saw on the news. They said Bush was responsible. Now, if the law generally is to treat these folks as if they were "illegal" immigrants instead of refugees from a police state, then the law is wrong or the implementation of the law is wrong.

Yes, we remember the Gestapo-like actions of Janet Reno and the child refugee Elian. Janet Reno so alienated the Cuban population of Florida that she single-handedly cost Gore the election.
Old July 31, 2003, 10:11   #26
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Velociryx
Further, isn't it a shade inconsistent to be soooooooo concerned for the oppressed Iraqui people that we're willing to go in guns blazing, risking American blood and American lives for their liberation from oppression, but we turn back people trying to escape a similar oppression (even tho letting them in poses no risk to us or our troops)? You don't find those two positions at odds with each other? Not even a little?

But of course, Cuba doesn't have anything we want, and didn't make the "Axis of Evil" cut, so we haven't gone in guns blazing, and they can just rot in their oppression, right?

-=Vel=-
Vel, I agree. If Bush was not personally responsible for this, he should fix it immediately. It offends our concepts of decency, at a minimum.
Old July 31, 2003, 10:15   #27
Velociryx
staff

Amen, Ned. The fact of the matter is, The Shrub started down this path already, by invading Afghanistan, then invading Iraq. It is inconsistent with his own policies to turn back refugees from Cuba (not exactly a long-time friend of the US). It flies in the face of his existing policies and weakens his position.

If we're going to do it, if we're going to stand tough against the boogeymen, then that includes Cuba, and taking people under our wing for reasons of political asylum is NOT the same as illegal immigration. Wasn't in East Germany, and it's not here.

-=Vel=-
Old July 31, 2003, 10:22   #28
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 23:41
Quote:
Yes, we remember the Gestapo-like actions of Janet Reno and the child refugee Elian. Janet Reno so alienated the Cuban population of Florida that she single-handedly cost Gore the election.
Too bad Reno was right. Funny how family values types were so quick to allow a kid's uncles and aunts kidnap him from his father.

The Miami Cuban exiles are so rabid and nutty I doubt they would have voted for Gore anyway.
Old July 31, 2003, 10:26   #29
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

Boris, you're a thinking dude, buddy.
Old July 31, 2003, 10:29   #30
Ned
King

Was she right to act without a court order while the matter was still pending before the courts? Was she right to invade a private resident with the military?

Further, why was the US government taking the side of Fidel Castro and not the side of the boy in this affair?