Old July 31, 2003, 12:49   #61
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 06:41
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Che - Weapons of Mass Destruction is so...."yesterday's news" man! Catch up with the times, will you! The new and improved government position (with 30% more flavor) is that the Iraqi people were being oppressed by the tyrant in the desert.

So, it's okay to send our boys over there to die for their freedom, but we can't be arsed to pick the ones we find in the Florida straits (who are also fleeing from an oppressive state) and protect them.

And that's not hypocritical?

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old July 31, 2003, 12:50   #62
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 02:41
Re: Re: Re: Re: Bush coddles Castro, betrays liberty
Quote:
Originally posted by oedo
what I know is that it´s always been part of the US policy taking refugees and giving them a chance starting a new and better life in freedom.
We only take political refugees. Most of the people coming from Cuba aer economic refugees. We are no different from any other country in this regard, except that any Cuban who actually makes to land is automatically granted political refugee status.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old July 31, 2003, 12:50   #63
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Local Time: 01:41
I'm beginning to loose track of who is on what side here.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old July 31, 2003, 12:51   #64
Dom Pedro II
King

Quote:
Only problem is that Cuban's coming here are vastly economic refugees, not political ones. Cuba's regime isn't nearly as repressive as, say, Saudi Arabia's. Why don't we allow incoming Saudi's instanct citizenship?
But then isn't it inconsistent, if in fact the regime is not as bad as others, to maintain the sanctions and other political barriers against Cuba? From a political standpoint.

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...
Old July 31, 2003, 12:51   #65
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Boris - they're asking for political asylum, not insta-citizenship. But again, there's nothing in Cuba we want, so of course we can't be arsed to give a damn, right?

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old July 31, 2003, 12:52   #66
Dom Pedro II
King

Sprayber - essentially, Boris and chegitz are on your side

And yes the sky IS falling!

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...
Old July 31, 2003, 12:54   #67
Velociryx
staff

Hey, but if we leaked a news story 'bout how Castro has tons of chemical warheads aimed at a variety of US cities....that'd prolly be worth an invasion....or at least a police action!

-=Vel=-
Old July 31, 2003, 12:55   #68
Dom Pedro II
King

Quote:
We only take political refugees. Most of the people coming from Cuba aer economic refugees. We are no different from any other country in this regard, except that any Cuban who actually makes to land is automatically granted political refugee status.
This applies to your quote and Boris's: So should we take a vote when we pick up these people?

"Who's coming for a better life? .... Alright, back on the boat!"

"Who's fleeing from prison? ... Right this way..."

Old July 31, 2003, 12:57   #69
Dom Pedro II
King

Quote:
Hey, but if we leaked a news story 'bout how Castro has tons of chemical warheads aimed at a variety of US cities....that'd prolly be worth an invasion....or at least a police action!
Actually, if you'll recall there was a big to-do last summer about Castro helping in making weapons of mass destruction... until Bush realized that we weren't going to make it QUITE that easy for him to line up all of America's major enemies in the last 40 years and take them out with one swoop.

Old July 31, 2003, 13:00   #70
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Velociryx
Boris - they're asking for political asylum, not insta-citizenship. But again, there's nothing in Cuba we want, so of course we can't be arsed to give a damn, right?

-=Vel=-
Of course they are, because they know that any Cuban who asks for political asylum will be automatically granted it, without a hearing. No one else gets that treatment. Basically, it's a free ticket to live in America. Since you know you will be turned back for any other reason than claiming political refugee status, why would anyone be so stupid as to claim to be anything but a plitical refugee? I mean, come on, don't be so incredulous.

Hell, if even I'm defending Bush on this one, then it's gotta be right. I mean, that man can't do anything but screw up.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old July 31, 2003, 13:00   #71
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dom Pedro II

This applies to your quote and Boris's: So should we take a vote when we pick up these people?

"Who's coming for a better life? .... Alright, back on the boat!"

"Who's fleeing from prison? ... Right this way..."
I'd rather not give Castro the option of emptying out his prision system on American shores.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old July 31, 2003, 13:01   #72
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Velociryx

-=Vel=-
They tried that last you but that dog wouldn't hunt. No one believed Bush and Castro said come and check for yourselves.
Old July 31, 2003, 13:02   #73
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sprayber
I'd rather not give Castro the option of emptying out his prision system on American shores.
He's only done it twice before.
Old July 31, 2003, 13:02   #74
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

I've decided to sniper Castro and his sons, so that's not a concern.
Old July 31, 2003, 13:02   #75
Dom Pedro II
King

You and me both, brother!

Old July 31, 2003, 13:02   #76
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowwHand
I've decided to sniper Castro and his sons, so that's not a concern.
Threatening a foreign leader is a crime in the United States.
Old July 31, 2003, 13:03   #77
Velociryx
staff

Inconsistent is inconsistent. If we're serious about liberty for folks living under oppressive regiemes (serious enough to spin it that way in Iraq and send Americans there to die for it), then it wouldn't be any skin off our noses to let the guys on the boat come on by, now would it?

-=Vel=-
Old July 31, 2003, 13:03   #78
Dom Pedro II
King

There are definitely some STRANGE bedfellows in this discussion.....

Old July 31, 2003, 13:04   #79
Dom Pedro II
King

Quote:
Inconsistent is inconsistent. If we're serious about liberty for folks living under oppressive regiemes (serious enough to spin it that way in Iraq and send Americans there to die for it), then it wouldn't be any skin off our noses to let the guys on the boat come on by, now would it?
So how about if we just say that the whole Iraq thing was a crock of sh*t and that we really don't care about liberty for people around the world? Would that be satisfactory then?

Old July 31, 2003, 13:06   #80
Velociryx
staff

Yep. That would put things in a much clearer light, actually....

-=Vel=-
Old July 31, 2003, 13:08   #81
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara

He's only done it twice before.

I used to live near one of the places they kept a lot of them back then.

We said Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free and he sent us his corrupt, his theives, his yearning to relieve me of my wallet.
Old July 31, 2003, 13:10   #82
Dom Pedro II
King

Btw, it's been awhile since I've posted here (too long actually). Have the mods just given up all hope to curb "colorful" language, or is it just me?

::grabs Sprayber's wallet::

Old July 31, 2003, 13:11   #83
Velociryx
staff

nahhh, we've just gotten really good at finding ways around the auto-censor...

-=Vel=-
Old July 31, 2003, 13:12   #84
Dom Pedro II
King

Quote:
Bullshit.
I wouldn't exactly call that getting around the auto-censor...

Old July 31, 2003, 13:14   #85
Velociryx
staff

Okay, so maybe they've toned it down a little bit....

-=Vel=-
Old July 31, 2003, 13:14   #86
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dom Pedro II
Btw, it's been awhile since I've posted here (too long actually). Have the mods just given up all hope to curb "colorful" language, or is it just me?

::grabs Sprayber's wallet::
I actually had it stolen two weeks ago. I was wondering who the hell took it .
Old July 31, 2003, 13:17   #87
Dom Pedro II
King

Ouch... that sucks...

Watch out for the driver's license! My dad had his stolen, and the guy sold his license to somebody, and they used it to commit all sorts of traffic crimes. He was making court appearances for YEARS after that. I mean, as soon as the officers in each case took one look at my dad, they knew it was the wrong guy... but what a hassle!

Although I suppose my dad had one without a picture on it... those are pretty rare these days... but you never know what these criminals can do.

Old July 31, 2003, 14:32   #88
Ned
King

Local Time: 22:41
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
Ned... this is a Bush bash too far for me...
It is interesting how the Bush bashers are lining up on his side on this one.
Old July 31, 2003, 14:34   #89
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowwHand
I can't believe this. I've had a running mouthoff contest with Boris going for so long, and now we agree, and I'm disagreeing with Ned?

This is, in fact, Bizarro World.
I will repeat. The news report indicated that this is Bush's policy. Apparently, there is some room for discretion in the law.
Old July 31, 2003, 14:50   #90
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Was she right to act without a court order while the matter was still pending before the courts?
The only courts competent to rule on the matter (the Federal courts) had already ruled against the Miami family. The state courts have no jurisdiction over immigration issues.
The matter of custody is EXCLUSIVELY a state law issue under our Constitution. That matter was pending before the courts of Florida when Janet Reno took the law and the Constitution into her own hands.

As to the immigration laws, clearly had custody been awarded to the US relatives, they would have been competent to apply for asylum on behalf of Elian. However, Janet (Gestapo) Reno send in the machinegunners, breaking down doors, terrorizing Elian, his family and indeed the whole Cuban community, before the Florida courts could rule. Never in the history of the United States has an Attorney General acted with such little regard for the Constitution.

Might makes right in the world of Janet Reno. The people of Florida knew the injustice of this minister of Justice. They elected George Bush as a result and failed even to give her the nomination of her own party in the last election.