Old July 31, 2003, 10:15   #1
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 23:42
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Forum as a News Source?
While it's fairly useless for local matters, I find this forum superior to any other source I know of for national (US) and even more so international news. It's more entertaining and every issue is presented in numerous points of view. How do you think it compares?
Old July 31, 2003, 10:22   #2
geeslaka
Prince

It compares well. But, before I started reading/posting here, people often asked I I'd been living in a cave for several months.
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.
Old July 31, 2003, 10:24   #3
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 06:42
Local Date: November 2, 2010
It's certainly better in that regard than some other forums I could mention that are exclusively either liberal or conservative, or exclusively pro-war or anti-war.

At least we have a good mixture here, although the number of people who can express their opinion in an intelligent and coherent way isn't all that high.
Old July 31, 2003, 10:25   #4
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

I agree, the main reason I visit the OT forum is for current news...So the OT forum does serve a purpose.
Old July 31, 2003, 10:26   #5
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

H3Y D00dz (FP) ....I r3z3mb7lz th@t!

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old July 31, 2003, 10:32   #6
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

STFU n00b!!!11
Old July 31, 2003, 10:37   #7
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old July 31, 2003, 10:44   #8
oedo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 07:42
Re: Forum as a News Source?
Quote:
Originally posted by Smiley
While it's fairly useless for local matters, I find this forum superior to any other source I know of for national (US) and even more so international news. It's more entertaining and every issue is presented in numerous points of view. How do you think it compares?
yes, there isn´t any more unbiased news source I know about in www (even though every single post in itself is a biased one ). all opinions about a certain issue at one look.
Old July 31, 2003, 11:35   #9
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 01:42
actually, this forum, rather than being a good place for me to get real news, i find often has a lot of good, quirky stories.

almost as good as metafilter.
Old July 31, 2003, 12:24   #10
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

The best thing is that late afternoon my time, I'm reading about events here, that will be in the next morning's paper. And the funny thing is that the newpaper article doesn't provide much new information.
Old July 31, 2003, 12:26   #11
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
The best thing is that late afternoon my time, I'm reading about events here, that will be in the next morning's paper. And the funny thing is that the newpaper article doesn't provide much new information.
Well, we can always change the name of the Off-Topic Forum to The Aployton Times Forum.
Old July 31, 2003, 12:33   #12
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

This is a great place for late breaking news during the day. Somebody will post it within minutes of it happening, and then I can go to other news sources for more details if needed... but sometimes, there is no need for more details.