Old July 31, 2003, 14:35   #1
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 23:42
Local Date: November 1, 2010
In Islam you can divorce your wife by text message.
A Shiria court in Maylasia has ruled that a man who text messaged his wife three times with a 'I divorce you" message is legally divorced from his wife. Under Sharia law a woman gets next to nothing if a man divorces her and it is extrordinarially difficult for a woman to divorce a man.

The civil government of Maylasia says they would still like to see people go through civil divorce courts but half of Maylasia is officially under Sharia and the ruling of an Islamic court is sufficient for all legal proceedings.

Women's groups say they will protest the ruling and are demanding the government officially seporate religion from state proceedings.

What do you guys think? I'm thinking text messaging is a chicken **** way to tell your wife you're divorcing her and it is bullshit to have a religious court make civil rulings. Why is such a large part of the world mired in medievil religious nonsense?
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old July 31, 2003, 14:40   #2
Dom Pedro II
King

Local Time: 06:42
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Even if I was going to use some B.S. qualification to uphold the man's claims that its a legitimate divorce, I think I would still turn him down on the basis of cowardice... c'mon now! He doesn't even have the guts to tell her to her face?

And yes, while it is true that women get next to nothing in divorces in Muslim cultures (some anyway) before the wedding, they usually by many thousands of dollars worth of jewelry to support them in the event that they are divorced.

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...
Old July 31, 2003, 14:43   #3
Victor Galis
Emperor

Local Time: 02:42
Now, IIRC under Sharia law, to legally divorce his wife, a man just has to tell her three times that he divorces her. Does it matter if it's verbally or through a text message? (No, I don't agree with the practice, but what's wrong with the ruling?)
Old July 31, 2003, 14:46   #4
Dom Pedro II
King

Well, I think if a man doesn't have the cajones to tell his wife that and risk the rolling pin to the skull, I don't think it should count.

And in a Muslim society, where obviously machismo is pretty damn important, I can't believe the judge would hear it.

I'm just surprised is all.

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...
Old July 31, 2003, 14:48   #5
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Victor Galis
Now, IIRC under Sharia law, to legally divorce his wife, a man just has to tell her three times that he divorces her. Does it matter if it's verbally or through a text message? (No, I don't agree with the practice, but what's wrong with the ruling?)
Normally one of the three times must be witnessed by a muslim cleric. I'm not sure how the Maylasian Islamic court justified their position other then just being male chauvanist pigs.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old July 31, 2003, 14:51   #6
Japher
Emperor

Quote:
Women's groups say they will protest the ruling and are demanding the government officially seporate religion from state proceedings.
Wow! If they do it would nice to see a country actually separate church from state and not just say they do!

The only problem I see with text messaging it is that you can't be certain that she saw it, and if she never gets the message than he is still married to her. All she needs to do is deny that she ever saw the last "I divorce U" come over, wait for the guy to screw some other girl, then stone him to death... hey that would be fun

Still, it is a bad way to break up
Old July 31, 2003, 14:52   #7
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS

How does the wife divorce the husband? Oh wait, let me guess: she doesn't get a choice because she's still considered 'property', right?

Yep, Islam, America - same place, different name.
Old July 31, 2003, 14:53   #8
Dom Pedro II
King

Islam is in serious need of a Martin Luther... Sharia Law is only PARTLY based on the Q'uran. Sadly, there is so much that has been laid down as law by clerics who had their own interpretation of things...

I would say that Judaism is in need for some house cleaning too.

How can you accept the word of some other person as the word of God when they openly admit that he has not spoken to them personally? And if they do admit that, would you really want to follow them anyway?

The Q'uran has some very fine points that have been interpretted in VERY bad ways. I have not seen a single Muslim reformer step up to the plate who has any interest in getting back to scripture and dumping the excess dogma.

Old July 31, 2003, 14:54   #9
Japher
Emperor

st_swithin; who "owns" you?
Old July 31, 2003, 14:54   #10
Oerdin
Deity

I imagine because the muslim zeolots would try to kill him if he did.
Old July 31, 2003, 15:00   #11
Dom Pedro II
King

A sad fact, Oerdin, yes. But until that happens, the Middle East cannot progress... that is unless the secular pockets of resistance overwhelm the zealots... and in a lot of cases, the zealots are just louder, not more numerous.

Old July 31, 2003, 15:06   #12
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS

Apparently my 'husband' does, until he decides that I'm REALLY serious about getting a divorce - , forms filed and signed papers notwithstanding, he still keeps asking me if I'm SURE I want a divorce. Am I POSITIVE? Absolutely POSITIVE? Absotively, posolutely SURE this time?

No, actually, the fact that I've told him that I don't love him, I NEVER will love him, I can't stand him, and I keep trying to commit suicide every time he asks me if I'm SURE I want a divorce - yeah, sure, maybe I'll change my mind. It's a good thing he listens so well.

So far, I'm up to 9 really good 'hesitation scars' from when my 'cry for help and attention' got him to 'pay attention to me' and each time he's bought me some flowers. He thinks the cat scratched me. He's convinced that the cat's claws are made of cold-forged, razor-sharp steel, and that it's common to get stitches for 'hesitation marks,' particularly during episodes of PMS.

Yep, good old menstruation - the one sure way to be reminded that you're slowly dying, a little bit at a time.

Hey guys, if you wanna impress the girls, the next time they act '*****y,' 'unreasonable' or 'irrational,' accuse them of being 'on the rag' or 'riding the crimson wave' - that'll get 'em to SWOON.

"Oh, I never even thought of that with my pretty, empty, air-filled little head! OOOooo, you're SO SMART and WISE! And you're so STRONG and BRAVE and TALENTED!! I'm SOOOOooo lucky to have you to tell me how I feel and what I think!" - st_swithin, in response to the above.

Us girls LOVE it when men are so accurate and incisive.

And guys wonder why I always just say that I'm a lesbian - yeah, right, I was born on the Island of Lesbos, just like Michael Chiklis.
Old July 31, 2003, 15:08   #13
Oerdin
Deity

I'm starting to worry about you swithin...v
Old July 31, 2003, 15:09   #14
Dom Pedro II
King

Wow....

I feel as though I ought to be apologizing for us.

Old July 31, 2003, 15:12   #15
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Worry hell, I think I just fell in love....

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old July 31, 2003, 15:14   #16
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS

Is your favourite colour turquoise?
Old July 31, 2003, 15:20   #17
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

I'm more of a burgundy and hunter green person, but turquoise is quite nice....definitely on up there...

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old July 31, 2003, 15:25   #18
Japher
Emperor

Ever hear of Pamprin? The only thing I will run around all night searching for, for my wife. That is truly a wonder drug...

By the way I don't own my wife, in fact it is quite the opposite...
Old July 31, 2003, 15:29   #19
Velociryx
staff

She has you fully trained, eh Japher?

-=Vel=-
Old July 31, 2003, 15:31   #20
Dom Pedro II
King

Since the dawn of time, woman has owned man in spite of what the history books say...

Only in Afghanistan did we get one up on them, and look how sh*tty that turned out.

Old July 31, 2003, 15:36   #21
Japher
Emperor

Sometimes it is just a lot easier to do what she says than to put up with the crying, rambling, screaming, sobbing, whinning, sniviling, beitching, earreaching so you can sleep "discussion"...
Old July 31, 2003, 16:24   #22
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS

yeah, I agree. Who wants to hear that sh1t? Or as my 'husband' says,

'Maybe you just need to stop hanging out with those friends of yours and you won't act so crazy.'

Because he apparently knows my friends so much better than I do.
Old July 31, 2003, 16:31   #23
Dom Pedro II
King

Haha! My friend steve used to use that line with his old girlfriend!

The only difference was that she was crazy.... unfortunately, not crazy enough to be committed.

Old July 31, 2003, 21:08   #24
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

7th century law + 21st century technology = Problem.

In fact just about any time law is behind technology you have Problems. Since it almost always is, there are always lots of Problems.
Old July 31, 2003, 21:52   #25
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Japher
Ever hear of Pamprin? The only thing I will run around all night searching for, for my wife. That is truly a wonder drug...

By the way I don't own my wife, in fact it is quite the opposite...
You know Pamprin is basically Aspirin, and almost any non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication will do. During menestruation as the inner uterine lining sloughs off large amounts of chemicals called Prostaglandins are released. It is these chemicals which cause the pain, cramping and mood swings. Prostaglandins are also involved in the mediation of pain, the regulation of the protective mucous layer of the stomach, and the regulation of blood flow through the kidneys. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like aspirin, motrin, naprosyn and etc. act by blocking one of the early steps in the synthesis of these chemicals, thus alleviating menstrual symptoms, minor pain, and also increasing the likelihood of developing gastritis, ulcers and kidney failure. The latter three generally require generous doses over a long period of time.
Old July 31, 2003, 22:44   #26
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Islam kicks ass. How do I convert?
Old July 31, 2003, 22:46   #27
Velociryx
staff

Drake: As I understand it, all you gotta do is send the Pope an e-mail saying:

"I divorce you. I divorce you. I divorce you."

-=Vel=-
Old July 31, 2003, 22:56   #28
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS

All my friends keep trying to have me institutionalised:

'No, we don't think you're crazy, we're just worried about you. Maybe you need some more medication. Maybe talking to some more doctors would help. Hey, let me help you into the ECT room and I'll get you all strapped in nice and comfy. Here, let me give you a nice little shot of lidocaine and all of this will just GO AWAY.'

FVCK ALL OF YOU. I don't need any more 'friends' trying to tell me I'm crazy. I know this.

NO HOSPITALS. NO DOCTORS. NO DRUGS.

If I'm destined to be the crazy lady of Venice, so be it. It's better to be able to count your friends on your own closed fist than on an open hand.

I'm feeling INCREDIBLY bitter today. I'm so sick of people telling me I'm sick. I do believe that's the source of my ailment.
Old July 31, 2003, 23:00   #29
Velociryx
staff

You're not sick, darlin'....just in the wrong location....come south, my dear....everybody here is as crazy as a June Bug! Don't believe me, just spend a weekend here and watch any number of rednecks go out in a blaze of glory with the famous last words of: "Hey ya'll, watch this!"

-=Vel=-
Old August 1, 2003, 00:15   #30
Dom Pedro II
King

Ever seen Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil?

Those people are NUT-TY!

But if it makes you feel any better, hun, I've had my fair share of close calls...

If it weren't for my friends and my family, I probably wouldn't even be alive today.

Simply because I couldn't bring myself to hurt them that badly.