Old August 1, 2003, 01:35   #1
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 02:43
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Please fix the Shift-U bug
This silly bug really should be fixed. It's been allowed to stay for too long.

There is an "Upgrade Unit" special action in the editor. Currently, it is checked for all units that upgrade. A way to use it, for example, would be to make longbowmen upgrade to riflemen, but then uncheck the upgrade unit special action for longbowmen. Then when riflemen become available, the longbowmen would disappear from the build queue, but they would not upgrade to the riflemen.

The problem: if you did these changes, the longbowman wouldn't follow the upgrade command. However, it will upgrade if you use Shift-U and upgrade all the longbowmen. Clearly both the upgrade and the upgrade all commands should be disabled if you uncheck the "upgrade unit" box.

I really hope someone takes the time to fix this. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2003, 04:26   #2
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 08:43
Actually considering that there is supposed to be yet another PtW patch, I would prefer it fixed there.
player1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2003, 06:28   #3
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

What I'd really like to see is a "upgrade all units in city" command/shortcut. Often I want to upgrade only my units on the frontline, in one or two cities, and right now I have only two choices: upgrade all of them, or upgrade manually only the selected ones. I want a selective upgrade.

Also when right-clicking on a stack, please-please move the "wake all" and "fortify all" commands on the top of the stack! I hate scrolling all the time to wake or fortify a large stack of units. Sorting units by type would also reduce stack micromanagement.
--Woody Allen
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2003, 17:21   #4
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 01:43
Quote:
Originally posted by Tiberius
What I'd really like to see is a "upgrade all units in city" command/shortcut. Often I want to upgrade only my units on the frontline, in one or two cities, and right now I have only two choices: upgrade all of them, or upgrade manually only the selected ones. I want a selective upgrade.
Amen, this would be very nice. What I sometimes have to do if I have a lot of units, is move those that I don't want upgraded, say the core city units, out of the cities for 1/3 a turn, upgrade all, move them back in. annoying.

Quote:
Also when right-clicking on a stack, please-please move the "wake all" and "fortify all" commands on the top of the stack! I hate scrolling all the time to wake or fortify a large stack of units. Sorting units by type would also reduce stack micromanagement.
agree. when you have 100 units in a city, a pain in the but to get them activated. I would like to see some option that I could activate all of one type of unit in a city. How many times have I forgotten that spear and then used J (not control J) and my cavalry move three squares instead of nine. Granted, carelessness leads to that, but still, i need my hand held.
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2003, 17:40   #5
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 02:43
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Agreed whole-heartedly on moving Wake All and Fortify All.

And pleeeeeeeaaaaaaase can the units be sorted by type in the list??? :begs:
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2003, 17:53   #6
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 23:43
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:

Speaking of micromanagement: what I've always wanted to see was a "activate/wake all units of this type" no matter where they are on the map. It would be particularly helpful in the late game when you have scores of cities cranking out scores of MAs, and you just want to fortify them until needed - say an attack on your borders. I was told on these boards it couldn't be done, but I'm not quite sure why not.

Back on topic: I agree with moving the "wake all" and "fortify all" to the top. There's a reason I'm making such a large stack, and it is rarely to move one or two units at a time. And sorting them by unit is essential. It gets very burdensome trying to activate individual artillery, for example, when one feels like bombarding.

I have to say though, they got it completely right by adding a "move all units of this type" command/button.
Old August 3, 2003, 01:26   #7
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Sorting units by type would also reduce stack micromanagement.

I'll add another one, just in case...

pretty please
alva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2003, 01:39   #8
Aramis
Prince

Local Time: 00:43
Add one from me, as well.
No--add two.
Old August 3, 2003, 01:47   #9
Jaguar