Old August 1, 2003, 17:48   #31
C0ckney
King

Local Time: 07:44
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by st_swithin

Or even worse, Asian female drivers on the cell phone with their friend in a hurry to get to their manicurist's appointment while doing their mascara in the rearview mirror on the freeway in an Escalade or Navigator.

At night. In the snow. Uphill. Both ways.
i think this might be 'humour', but i could be wrong :/

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old August 1, 2003, 17:55   #32
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 06:44
Well, judging from your first post I would have said you wouldn't know humour if it bit you in the ass, but apparently you do ... just. Thank heaven for small mercies.
Old August 1, 2003, 18:05   #33
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS

I was laughing when I wrote it. You can tell, because if I'd been driving when I wrote it I'd be smashed between a coupla lorries by now.

FruPoe, you're DEAD wrong. Better luck next time!
Quote:
Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
And I think you forgot to mention that she's also an unemployed single mother.
Old August 1, 2003, 18:16   #34
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by st_swithin
FruPoe, you're DEAD wrong. Better luck next time!
oh shucks
Old August 1, 2003, 20:08   #35
badams52
King

Local Time: 22:44
Local Date: November 1, 2010
drivers who drive 10+ above the posted speed limit.
Old August 2, 2003, 07:47   #36
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 01:44
Quote:
Originally posted by badams52
drivers who drive 10+ above the posted speed limit.
Yeah, if they're going that slow they should take the bus instead.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old August 2, 2003, 08:36   #37
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Drivers of German cars are my pet hates. They are arrogant and think they own the road, they tailgate when you are overtaking at a good speed. And haven't learned simple road etiquette.

And what is this four-way stop you Americans speak of? Is it the equivalent of a mini roundabout?

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old August 2, 2003, 08:37   #38
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Oh and don't get me started on lorry drivers. Why, on a two lane dual carriageway will one lorry start overtaking the other lorry at 0.1mph faster than the other thus blocking up the whole road for everyone else. Arseholes

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old August 2, 2003, 09:00   #39
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 09:44
Morons who place a 50kmph sign on a highway that's leading out of the city.
Ass**** policemen that hide behind trees with laser speedometers, and catch you going 90 there, and then administratively revoke your license for 30 days, and put you on trial in April.

yes, this happened to me a week ago.
Old August 2, 2003, 09:33   #40
Wraith
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 01:44
--"Oh, and I've asked it before and I'll ask it again (and likely again and again)"

Many do. It just isn't controversial, so it won't make the news.

Wraith
Don't try to engage my enthusiasm--I haven't got one
Old August 2, 2003, 10:39   #41
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel
Ass**** policemen that hide behind trees with laser speedometers, and catch you going 90 there, and then administratively revoke your license for 30 days, and put you on trial in April.

yes, this happened to me a week ago.
What the **** were those policemen thinking?? How dare they uphold the law by catching those who break it?!?

Sorry, but I hate it when people whinge about being caught speeding in those situations. You broke the law, you knew you were breaking it and you were caught. If you can't take the punishment like a man then stop committing the crime.
Old August 2, 2003, 10:43   #42
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 02:44
You know what pisses me off?? You know WHAT PISSES ME OFF????????

I rent cars on occassion. I get so goddamned pissed when I rent some piece of shiite GM car and park on the wrong side of the fuggin' gas pump! You see, on NORMAL cars, the gas line is on the driver's side... unless you're driving some GM POS, whereupon the gas line is on the passenger side.

Gawd-bloody-DAMMIT!!!!!
Old August 2, 2003, 10:59   #43
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
Drivers of German cars are my pet hates.
Considering your past record shoudn't you be their pet hate?
Old August 2, 2003, 11:33   #44
Az
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by FrustratedPoet

What the **** were those policemen thinking?? How dare they uphold the law by catching those who break it?!?

Sorry, but I hate it when people whinge about being caught speeding in those situations. You broke the law, you knew you were breaking it and you were caught. If you can't take the punishment like a man then stop committing the crime.
"take it like a man"

The speed limit there is rediculous. It's a 3 lane highway.

the policemen never ticket the dangerous drivers, the ones that drive fast in neighbourhoods, they just have go to main highways with rediculous speedlimits (70 kmph on the highway! ) and wait for the prey. And these roads don't go in the middle of residential areas or something... this is sheer stupidity.
Old August 2, 2003, 11:40   #45
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 23:44
Local Date: November 1, 2010
What is up with some cars having the gas on the left and some on the right? Is there any logic to it?
Old August 2, 2003, 11:41   #46
C0ckney
King

is it me, or is FP getting very tedious on this thread :/

anyway i know what you mean az, i drive as fast as it's safe to drive on roads i know, regardless of the speed limit. i got done for doing 55 in a 30 zone, about 1/2 a mile from the nearest house and where i have NEVER seen a pedestrian walking, but true to form some tosspot was hiding in the bushes and so i get a 150 quid fine and 5 points on my license

the police seem to have their priorities wrong. in the paper a few months ago i read about a village where the police had put up a sign saying '1,269 speeders caught', the locals put a sign underneath it saying '0 burglars caught', says it all really. :/

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old August 2, 2003, 11:41   #47
Az
Emperor

I have the gas inlet on the right, and am perfectly happy with it.
Old August 2, 2003, 11:51   #48
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by C0ckney
As if I care what you think of me.

Quote:
anyway i know what you mean az, i drive as fast as it's safe to drive on roads i know, regardless of the speed limit. i got done for doing 55 in a 30 zone, about 1/2 a mile from the nearest house and where i have NEVER seen a pedestrian walking, but true to form some tosspot was hiding in the bushes and so i get a 150 quid fine and 5 points on my license

Maybe you'll think differently when somebody you know is killed by some **** going 20 miles over the limit down a quiet country lane. Just because a road very rarely has pedestrians walking down it doesn't mean that they never do, nor does it mean that you have any less right to be there then they do.

Will it kill you to go slightly slower? Or are you happy to put other people's live at risk so that you can get to your destination a couple of minutes early?

I for one, am glad that the police are successful in catching at least some criminals out there. They sure as hell aren't perfect, but the more threats to public safety that are denied the privilege to drive the better in my opinion.
Old August 2, 2003, 11:52   #49
Solly
Emperor

Quote:

the police seem to have their priorities wrong. in the paper a few months ago i read about a village where the police had put up a sign saying '1,269 speeders caught', the locals put a sign underneath it saying '0 burglars caught', says it all really. :/
"i got done for doing 55 in a 30 zone, about 1/2 a mile from the nearest house and where i have NEVER seen a pedestrian walking"

Says it all really.

Speed limits are there for a reason. So are drink-driving laws?

If someone came on ehre saying he always drives after having six pints and has never had an accident, would you say "yeah, go on then, it's ok".

What are you waiting for to make you slow down? You actually need to kill a child before you start thinking about obeying speed limits.

I see enough idiots like you going past while I'm waiting for the bus each morning. Those going 35+ mph I shake my head at..40+ mph I mouth "t**t" to. I'm just waiting for someone going faster than that I'll make it blatantly obvious I'm pissed off because there are few things I dislike more than drivers going at ridiculous speeds just to shave a few seconds off their arrival time.
Old August 2, 2003, 11:58   #50
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Bods:
Old August 2, 2003, 12:01   #51
Az
Emperor

Quote:
Maybe you'll think differently when somebody you know is killed by some **** going 20 miles over the limit down a quiet country lane. Just because a road very rarely has pedestrians walking down it doesn't mean that they never do, nor does it mean that you have any less right to be there then they do.

Will it kill you to go slightly slower? Or are you happy to put other people's live at risk so that you can get to your destination a couple of minutes early?
bunch of bullshit. noone's is talking about quiet country lanes, but highways and freeways. The allowed speed in normal countries in such places is 75 mph, afaik. This is a reasonable, and logical speed limit. and not suprisingly, almost noone goes any faster. but if you have to go 55 on such a road, of course you'll break the speed limit.
Old August 2, 2003, 12:01   #52
Solly
Emperor

And yes I'm just waiting for one to stop and attempt to beat the crap out of me..because then at least he'd be done for a "real" crime.
Old August 2, 2003, 12:02   #53
Solly
Emperor

"bunch of bullshit. noone's is talking about quiet country lanes, but highways and freeways. The allowed speed in normal countries in such places is 75 mph, afaik. This is a reasonable, and logical speed limit. and not suprisingly, almost noone goes any faster. but if you have to go 55 on such a road, of course you'll break the speed limit."

I'd support raising the limit on motorways - let's cut the limit in dense residential areas to 20mph as well.
Old August 2, 2003, 12:03   #54
C0ckney
King

do either of you two actually drive?

please read my post again, especially the part where i say 'i drive as fast as it's safe to drive on roads i know'. not 'i break every speed limit with no regard to others'

Old August 2, 2003, 12:05   #55
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel
bunch of bullshit. noone's is talking about quiet country lanes, but highways and freeways.
C0ckney specifcally mentioned a road with a 30 mile an hour limit. Now, I have never seen this road so I'm not sure if the description "quiet country lane" fits it, but that speed limit was not put there without good reason.

Or do you also think that going almost double the posted speed limit could ever be safe?

(and for the record the highway speed limit in the UK is 70. I would have no objection to raising it to 80.)
Old August 2, 2003, 12:06   #56
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
do either of you two actually drive?
Yes. What's your point?
Old August 2, 2003, 12:06   #57
Solly
Emperor

Yes, I drive, and I have broken speed limits. Just how we've all been drunk and can say it's not a safe thing to do that both for ourselves and others around us.

"'i drive as fast as it's safe to drive on roads i know'"

You might know the roads but you don't know what is around the corner this time around.
Old August 2, 2003, 12:13   #58
C0ckney
King

ok well then as you both drive you should know that if you drive a route on a regular basis you learn it, you learn how fast you can safely take corner x or y, when you need to brake etc. so obviously, if there is a sharpe corner or poor visability at a particular point then you'll slow down.

Old August 2, 2003, 12:14   #59
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

nm