Old August 1, 2003, 10:50   #1
Aeson
Emperor

Local Time: 00:44
Local Date: November 2, 2010
S.P.I.N. #3 Two more than the First.
Satiring Political and International News

Rules

Please do not comment in this thread, comment on any stories here: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthre...&threadid=89413
  • All postings here should be of a lighthearted nature, but also at least attempt to relay SOME information.
  • There will be no debating in this thread, if you or your team takes exception to a story, feel free to post your own views, but do not debate/debunk the original post.
  • This thread will remain open for submissions until Friday, August 8th, at that time a new thread will be created, and one will be created each Friday thereafter. On those Fridays, either myself, or someone I ask, will PM Dan and Mark excerpts for inclusion on the main news page with a link to the relevant thread.
  • Violators of any of these rules will be required to insert into their sig the following phrase until a new S.P.I.N. thread is created: "I am a stupid idiot who can not even understand the simplest rules of good fun and polite conversation."
  • Actual phrase and insertion of such are entirely voluntary. S.P.I.N. is not responsible for anyone who is stupid enough to take the above 'enforcement' seriously

(Posted without consent of S.P.I.N. owner/operator/copyright holder UnOrthOdOx. But hey, at least I didn't make it orange! )
Old August 1, 2003, 10:56   #2
Aeson
Emperor

Editorial Retraction
Published in accordance to Article XI Section II.3 of Ruling in the case of GoW vs OrangeNews

Port Isolation, GoW (OrangeNews) - Ruling Judge in the case of GoW vs OrangeNews, the honorable Earl Lect of Monsoon, has judged OrangeNews guilty of copyright infringement of the 2nd degree.

While we at OrangeNews firmly believe our honor to be in-tact despite the verdict, the staff of OrangeNews would like to sincerely apologize for the damage caused by our editorial blunder. OrangeNews offers restitution in compliance with dEarl Lect's dRuling. Thus will be delivered to GoW at the earliest possible convenience:
  • Four quarts of OrangeNews OrangiclyInk to be delivered to the nearest GoW mortuary for use as embalming fluid for those Warmongers who died due to reading a GS publication using the word "dtragety".
  • 12 sheets of high quality OrangeNews papyrus printstock delivered to GoW's administrative headquarters for use as crude bags in treating hyperventilation brought on by Warmongers reading a GS publication using the word "dtragety".
  • 3 virgin lambs, delivered to the honorable dEarl Lect.*

Please accept this offering as proof of OrangeNews humble and sincere apology to GoW for the many attrocities committed against them by OrangeNews publications. We at OrangeNews hope that the dWar may now be swiftly ended. As one Warmonger official acknowleged, "This whole War was brought on by GS troops and settlers blocking our way from reaching Valencia. We feel Valencia Oranges are the lifeblood of OrangeNews, and the source must be cut off before more Warmonger lives are lost to this menace. Our agents tell us the secret ingredient for OrangeNews OrangiclyInk is Oranges!"**

This is by no means an apology for issues under pending litigation; GoW vs OrangeNews in the matter of mass papyrus cuts and GoW vs OrangeNews in the matter of temporary blindness due to deffective ink. We feel certain that OrangeNews honor will be found spotless, and have already been granted an injunction on the blindness suit due to our assertion that "deffective" is actually "effective" in the GoWish tongue.

* We assume for dinner.
** Oranges are not the secret ingredient.***
*** At least now they aren't secret.
Old August 1, 2003, 11:23   #3
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

WORLD PEACE MOVEMENT BEGUN

Ghengis the DCXIX (619th), last surviving heir to the Ghengis Dynasty, and commonly known as CrazyGhengis has made a miraculous recovery. Glorious Inquisitors (empowered by the late Spanish Pope who transferred all Inquistion authority to the GoW as he felt the Spanish were in need of Inquisting) have announced their findings: "Apparently, Ghengis was under the curse of Espanic sorcerers most foul, and said sorcerers were captured at the city of Bilbao. Once they were put under the charge of the Glorious Inquistion they confessed the truth of their evil deeds."

Upon the lifting of the curse, Ghengis professed his desire for world peace, and that the Spanish were "merely doing what they felt was right. They didn't really mean to cause harm, they simply weren't aware of the suffering caused by their actions."

He then called for citizens of the world to strive for peaceful and coexistent harmony among all races, be they Warmonger, Demogyptian, Gatheric, Espanic, Voxian, Legomen, or Luxian. A little late for the Luxians, there Ghengis.....

Glorious Inquisitors have announce redoubled efforts to find the sorcerors responsible for the existing curse on Ghengis. "Oh my skulls, said the Chief Inquisitor. He's worse than he was before!"
GhengisFarb™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2003, 22:21   #4
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Local Time: 02:44
"Evicted" - the first show at The New Voice Theatre

...by omega ... arts critic of the Vox newspaper - "The Truth".

With the new theatre just completed, the world-renowned Vox players have just staged the premiere of the Randy Lord Wubber musical - "Evicted" to rave reviews. It tells the story of a young communications student's rise through government offices and society, to eventually become the Voxian Minister of Information. His days in the lime-light are quickly eclipsed as Vox is forced from North Estonia after a crushing defeat. Strong performances by HarryH as Jon Miller, Rhothaerill as Eli, and Wittlich as Beta himself bring this tragic story to life.

The adaptation of the Wubber stage play is masterful. A medoicre set and sub-par lighting are more than compensated by the emotion brought to the stage by the cast, and their stirring renditions of the songs which tug at our heart strings.

There was not a dry eye in the house as Witt sang out the final lines of the hit tune, "Don't Cry for Me , North Estonia", reprinted here as a salute to a memorable evening.

"Don't cry for me North Estonia,
"The truth is, I never left you.
"All through my wild days,
"My mad existence,
"I kept my promise.
"Don't keep your distance."

"Evicted" plays nightly except for Mondays at the New Voice Theatre. Tickets are available at the box office, or from any TicketControli outlet.
Old August 5, 2003, 23:05   #5
HarryH
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG2 Sunshine
King

Local Time: 22:44
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Anarchy reigns, citizens look for something to burn…

The New Voice – Since the final exodus from Estonia the Voxian civilization has been in anarchy. Workshops have been shut down, no one is paying any taxes, and money seems to be worthless. Even the workers are only showing up half the time. When asked why the workers are underperforming Wittlich said “They are spending too much time searching the countryside for something to burn. In Estonia we had incense to burn. Here there is nothing.” Agreeing with Wittlich young Rhothaerill added “Yeah, if you throw an entire bottle of incense on the fire the smoke would fill the entire house. After a few deep breaths you would forget about your troubles.” The government is worried. Jon Miller said that if we do not resolve our form of government soon “the people will realize the only thing they can burn is the city itself.” What will be the form of the Voxian government? Most people want Republic but there are a few outspoken individuals proclaiming the benefits of other forms. First Archbishop Beta says Monarchy is the way to go. “The people do not know how to govern themselves. They need someone to lead them. Besides, the church has a lot more influence in a Monarchy.” HarryH has been dreaming about a new form of government where the people themselves decide the fate of issues. No one understands what he is talking about.

Military practices on barbarians…

Voxtavia - In the distant mountains the military has been keeping their skills sharp by practicing against local barbarians. When asked if this was a useful way to spend their time Lieutenant Eli said “What else are we going to do.” Eli was psyched for his first encounter with a barbarian. “We heard the stories coming out of GoW about UnOrthOdox’s clash with the MegaBlock barbarians on his trip to Legoland, so we were prepared for a real fight.” Eli went on to say they found the barbarians to be unworthy opponents. “They fought like girls. Not a single member of my unit was injured. It’s just like the stories my great great grandpa used to tell about his battle with Grog!”
HarryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2003, 15:20   #6
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Theseus arrested as he attempts to flee Imperial City

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=3179311

(in honor of avatars comming back)

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
UnOrthOdOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2003, 16:26   #7
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!

Ah, the many bananas I have smeared on GS' enemies.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2003, 21:48   #8
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

oh oh.
Old August 6, 2003, 21:59   #9
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

Stormian and Voxian disregard SPIN rules

Theseus and Beta have commented in the no comment section.

To which, Panzer32 replied: 'no comment'
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Panzer32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2003, 22:04   #10
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

GLOBAL SHORTAGE OF TYPING MONKEYS RESULTS IN SHORTER SPIN ARTICLES!

The Great War has seriously depleted the world typing monkey shortage as the Spamish appear to use them for soldiers. This then appears to have reduced many SPIN articles to a mere two sentences......
Old August 6, 2003, 22:21   #11
Octavian X
Civilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HivePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy GameACDG3 GaiansC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

The following is a paid advertisment, brought to you by the United Doughnut Maker's Association

Have YOU had a doughnut today?

Man: Darnit, I'm tired and hungry. Today has just been plain bad.

Narrator: Why, what's on your mind?

Man: First, I lost 1000g on a bet over a chicken fight. My wife kicked me out of the house, I was fired, my kids refuse to recognize me as their father, my parents refused to recognize me as their son...

Narrator: That sounds bad. What you need is...

Man: ...I was publically humilated in front of every single person I know, and then some. I was then sentenced to die for murders I'm pretty sure I didn't commit, I think I killed 13 people when I got drunk because I was so depressed, I was mobbed by Stormians who look down of chicken fights, I was mobbed by Voxians for being mobbed my Stormians, I was mobbed by Spainiards for no apparent reason...

Narrator: What you need is...

Man: ...I lost my leg in a gally accident, I pelted by legos, and I'm pretty sure I'm having a heart attack right now.

Narrator: What you need is a DOUGHNUT to brigten up your day!

*Hand gives Man a doughnut

Man: WHAT THE HELL DO YOU MEAN! I'M GONNA DIE IN A FEW @$#%$%& SECONDS AND YOU THINK I NEED A DOUGHNUT??? WHAT KIND OF IDIOT ARE YOU! WHY I OUGHTTA...

*Man dies of heart attack

Narrator: There you have it folks! The calm effect that only a doughnut can give.

This has been a paid advertisement.
Old August 7, 2003, 21:39   #12
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

Received from Crystal Clear of SPIN press, via an anonymous source:

THE BETA INTERVIEW

The Palace of the New Voice, 5 August, 50 A.D.

(in a whispered voice) “This is Crystal Clear reporting for SPIN press. I am descending a long flight of stone stairs, accompanied by Wittlich and Jon Miller. It is very quiet here, with only the occasional dripping of water. Wittlich explains to me”:

“You do understand. He hasn’t been the same since the war. He lives here, well, sort of for his own protection.”

I acknowledge the comment, and then we are there. Jon Miller uses a key to open the door and we enter a surprisingly spacious and well lit room. Small windows look out over the nearby mountains. The accommodations are comfortable and well appointed. A large desk occupies one corner of the room, commanding a good view of the city below, and the mountain range further out.

He sits at the desk and does not look up. Long, grayish blonde hair hangs around his shoulders, which are stooped forward intently. He mutters to himself, and scribbles furiously on a sheet of paper. Wittlich clears his throat “Beta, Miss Clear is here to see you.”

He looks up. Half confused, half annoyed. And then a charming smile crosses his weathered face. “Ah, Witt, Jon! Good to see you? And Miss Clear, welcome to my humble abode.”

Jon Miller and Wittlich pass on their regards, and then leave me to do my interview. They have promised me he is harmless.

Crystal Clear, nervously: “So Beta, how is life in the New Voice?”

Beta: “Splendid! Just Splendid! The weather is lovely and the view of the mountains superb!”

Crystal: “And the chaos in the city?”

Beta: “Chaos, what chaos? Oh, the noise and smoke and such. Do not worry, my dear. That is the 23rd Voxian Immortal Regiment finishing off another Stormian chariot unit. Glorious, isn’t it? And just so you know, you are completely safe here. Have no worries.”

Crystal, after a pause: “Yes, but I thought.... Well, wasn’t that war over…?”

Beta: “Oh yes. Soon it will be. Gathering Storm is on their last legs. They cannot hold it together much longer. We have worn them down militarily, and their economy is in collapse. You really didn’t expect a bunch of chicken-worshipping infidels to defeat Vox Controli did you?”

Crystal, confused: “Ah, no, I guess not. But tell me Beta, where do you get your intel from?”

Beta: “Hah! As if I would tell you? Did Theseus send you? Yes, that is what those dastardly southerners would do. Use a reporter to get Voxian secrets. So, no no no! I will not reveal my sources. But I will tell you, they are very reliable! Why, just recently I learned of a Gathering Storm plot to take over North Estonia. And I, Beta, am the only one who can save Vox Controli.

Crystal, now half amused: “How do you plan to do that?”

Beta, looks around the room and lowers his voice: “Come here and I will show you. Hehehe. They will have no idea. It will be a complete surprise. The might of the Immortals will fall on their unholy souls. See, I have this secret book. It tells me everything I need to know about defeating the Stormians. And I am the only one who has it. It was produced by the GSIA – that is the Gathering Storm Intelligence Agency – but be quiet about that. And then they renamed it to try and fool me. But did it work? Oh no no no. You can’t fool a wise old minister of information that easily.”

Crystal, cautiously: “May I see it?”

Beta, somewhat worried and unsure: “But you promise not to tell anyone. Of course you wouldn’t. A good girl like you. You’re Jon’s niece aren’t you? Yes. That’s it. Jenny Miller. I remember you. Yes, still quick as a whip, I am. Well here, take a quick peak. But remember, it is top secret. If you let this information get out, I would have to have you executed. You understand don’t you? Good. This is the book. The key to ending this war! The final solution to Voxian victory! Ha ha ha! We have the infidels now! Right where we want them…. Release the Immortals… Let slip the dogs of war…. Ha ha ha ha.

I leave the room nervously, as Beta, with spittle running down his chin, laughs and points out his barred window. Wittlich comes scurrying down the stairs to make sure I am alright. He glances into the cell and then pulls the door gently to a close, after somewhat sadly, yet fondly looking in on Beta. As we ascend the stairs, Wittlich sees that I am carrying a well worn book. He asks what it is and I hold it up for his inspection.

He smiles. “Ah, ‘A HitchHiker’s Guide to Gathering Storm’. Quite a good read actually.”
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old August 8, 2003, 09:01   #13
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 23:44
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Great Spin Panzer!
Old August 8, 2003, 13:16   #14
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION

MADRID, Friday - Responding to a call from UnOrthOdOx's secret underground bunker S.P.I.N.U.B., Pope Calixtus I of the Catholic Church asked Spanish and Egyptian Cardinals to take the Popemobile over to S.P.I.N.H.Q. and purge it of the vile wickedness of commentators and bad reporters.

The Spanish Inquisition arrived the next day, and immediately burst into a secret meeting of GhengisFarb, Wittlich, Beta, Theseus, and Panzer32, who were planning their next posts at S.P.I.N.

"Well," said GhengisFarb just before he was dragged away screaming by Cardinals Biggles and Fang, "everyone was asking me where I'd been hiding all the missing monkeys, and I firmly denied having anything to do with it. They egged me on, Theseus smacking me around with bananas, and I finally shouted 'I wasn't expecting the Spanish Inquisition!'"

At this point, Swiss Police Officials report, the door burst in and the Spanish Inquisition arrived, crashing in upon the wild posting operations.

GhengisFarb, apparently pretending to be a member of the Spanish Inquisition himself, tried to make his way out the back door, but was promptly set upon by Cardinals Biggles and Fang.

Even now, from behind the oaken doors, we can hear the shouts of "Confess!" followed by long screams.

Theseus was released soon after his arrest when he pulled out his Spanish Inquisition identification card.

When asked about the Spanish Inquisition (the Pope not answering calls about the subject), he simply responded: "In the early years of the first century, to combat the rising tide of religious orthodoxy, the Pope gave Cardinal Ximinez of Spain leave to move without let or hindrance through the land, in a reign of violence, terror and torture that makes a smashing film."

"This," he said, "is the Spanish Inquisition."

Cardinal Ximinez, in between putting Panzer32 and Wittlich on the Comfy Chair and punching Beta with the Comfy Cushions, was able to answer some questions for the press.

"Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency... Our three weapons are fear, surprise and ruthless efficency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope... Our four...no...Amongst our weapons... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise..."

He then offered to come in again.

We will keep you, our faithful readers, informed as this dramatic story unfolds.
History Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2003, 14:13   #15
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

UNEMPLOYED SPANISH "INQUISITIDORS" IMPERSONATE THEIR FORMER JOBS

Unemployed Inquisitidors attempted to arrest members of the SPIN organization recently and failed utterly. Unhappy with the fact that the late Pope transferred all Inquisition authority and positions to GoW many years ago, they attempted to revitalize the heathen Inquisition which the late Pope had attempted to make ammends for.

SPIN members GhengisFarb, Wittlich, Beta, Theseus, and Panzer32 fell on the floor laughing their brains out as the true Inquisition promptly appearing and questioned the ignorant Spanish to death.

EDITOR'S NOTE, not sure that Wittlich is an actual SPIN member, he simply seems TO POST COMMENTS in the SPIN thread and not articles...........
Old August 8, 2003, 19:43   #16
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

POPE'S PERSONAL SURGEON EXAMINES CRAZYGHENGIS AND DELIVERS HIS MEDICAL JUDGEMENT ON THE SAID SAD DEMENTED WARMONGER

He's mad. Mad, I say.
Old August 8, 2003, 22:39   #17
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

NEW NEWSTHREAD RUMORED TO BE IN THE WORKS

Unsubstantiated rumors hint that a new newsthread entitled "Inquisition, Counter Inquisition" may be in the works. It would supposedly involve right wing and left wing extremists GhengisFarb and History Guy using a post - counter post format.

No comment on whether GhengisFarb (of the Ghengis Report) would use his TruthOmeter or History Guy would bring his Squid O' Many Questions..........
Old August 9, 2003, 10:27   #18
Panzer32
Emperor

- Panzer32 Will Not Reveal His Source - Crystal Clear Remains an Enigma -

In respecting the integrity of the press, and despite pressure to do so, Panzer32 will not reveal the source from which he received the Crystal Clear article.

"I will not do it!" said Panzer "so quit twisting my arm. But I will confirm one thing - I did not write the article. It came from Crystal, and I was merely asked to post it in SPIN".

Readers may have been wondering where Crystal has been, having remembered her in a former life when she blew the whistle on the trout-slapping epidemic then sweeping a nation. She has been busy exploring this new world, trying to dig up dirt which will be of interest to the public, and of course, the SPIN readership.
---------
May God Bless.
Old August 12, 2003, 10:47   #19
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Theseus suspected to have now donned a disguise.

http://www.dailytelegraph.news.com.a...73^401,00.html

(in honor of avatars leaving again)

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
UnOrthOdOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2003, 21:07   #20
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Big and black with a lot of hair... that's me.

Who knows what bananas lurk in the hearts of men... Theseus knows.

(obscure reference... who knows it?)
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Old August 12, 2003, 21:30   #21
Panzer32
Emperor

Theseus Breaks SPIN Rules; assumed to be Publicity Stunt

obscure reference = the Shadow?
---------
May God Bless.
Old August 13, 2003, 03:42   #22
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 08:44
LEGO modernizes its infrastructure

What SPIN reporters have already suspected for quite some time, turned out to be true: Lego has entered the modern age a long time ago!

The evidence came in a form of an announcement, made by technology world leader, IBM. "As part of a multiyear agreement, Lego will aquire a broad collection of IBM servers and storage systems" the company representative announced.

IBM's Lego contract involves a mix of Unix and Intel servers. Lego has bought two top-end p690 "Regatta" Unix servers, four midrange p650 Unix servers, 24 high-end x440 Intel servers, four Enterprise Storage Server "Shark" storage systems and Tivoli storage management software, IBM said.

"We are operating in a very competitive environment and need to respond to the dynamics of our world at a moment's notice," said ZargonX, Lego's President. "IBM was able to provide an on-demand solution that matched our needs for a cohesive, worldwide infrastructure, while also adapting itself to our very cyclical business and need for rapid introduction of new products."

IBM declined to say how much the deal is worth, but Sageza Group analyst Charles King estimated that the figure is in the millions of dollars.

What will Lego do with its newly aquired servers is yet a mistery and a highly kept secret. A recent leak from the Offices of Lego's Military Architect, considered to be only a fake story, now seems to make sense. Apparently Lego is developing in secret a powerful weapon, something they call "The Plastic Bomb"!! What this is we don't know yet, but our faithful readers will be first to find out, that we promise.

http://news.com.com/2100-1010-506232...rt=dtx&tag=nhl
--Woody Allen
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2003, 09:43   #23
History Guy
King

SHADOW SUES THESEUS FOR STEALING TAG LINE

WEDNESDAY, S.P.I.N.U.B. - In another infamous breach of etiquette, Theseus of Egypt posted a comment in the midst of a spin thread. Gasps and surpressed yells of horror were heard throughout the S.P.I.N. Underground Bunker when the news was announced.

Apparently, he is quoted as saying: "Who knows what bananas lurk in the hearts of men? ... Theseus knows."

This provoked an immediate response from the Shadow. After bumping off a wicked Manhattan gang lord, the Shadow informed Theseus that he would shortly be hearing from his lawyer, the amazing fearsome J. N. Dagget.

"It was my line," said the Shadow in a peace conference yesterday. "I always say that...except for the banana part. Insert 'evil', remove banana... Actually, remove the banana first..." The Shadow then adjusted his glasses.

Theseus has not yet commented on the recent allegations by S.P.I.N. officials and by the Shadow.

Mr. Weasel, his lawyer, says: "Well, of course this is unexpected. Mr. Theseus and Mr. Shadow have never been on bad terms. I think that the Shadow is just overworked. You know, he's broken enough nuckles recently in his war on a wicked Manhattan gang lord. It gets to a man.

"...We are not afraid of Mr. Shadow. If he thinks that he is intimidating us with his weird little voice and his cape and his malignant stare and his pointed accusations that he knows how much evil lurks in the heart of Mr. Theseus...well, he's quite mistaken."

Mr. Weasel has high hopes. His plane tickets, he informs us, are perfectly valid, and an overnight relocation to a different country for himself and his family are quite possible as soon as he has sucked Mr. Theseus dry of his wealth and left him for the Shadow.

Pope Calixtus I, who appointed Theseus as a Paladin of the Church, was approached by reporters on whether or not he would speak privately to the Shadow.

He refused to comment further than: "You might think that, but I couldn't possibly comment."
Old August 14, 2003, 18:04   #24
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

SPANISH CITIES SURRENDER IN DROVES!

Fed up with their pathetic nation, and their feathered allies, half the COMBINED empires of Roleplay and Gathering Storm on Bob surrendered to the liberation forces of NeuDemogyptica and Glory of War last turn.

"It was the Wine, most wonderful liquid I have ever tasted!' claimed Jose the Unsteady.
"Oh, no, " chimed Maria the Bearded, a young Spanish maiden. "It is the handsome Warmonger Warriors!
(It should be noted that at this comment the entire liberation force in the vicinity mounted their horses and rode hard to assist in the liberation of Salamanca....)

"Personally, I'm just sick of all the squid," confided a man by the name of Spamish Mitchell.
"Then again we definitely need protection from the horrible 'Jabberwocky' monster that destroyed the 27 outlying villages last night."

Sir UnOrthOdOx seemed somewhat nervous at this last comment. He was overheard to say, "Make darn sure those new chains on CrazyGhengis are gnaw proof this time. I don't want to have to chase him down again like we did this morning.................."
Old August 28, 2003, 10:19   #25
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 07:44
I was recently approached by an associate of SPIN press, who is also an acquaintance of reporter Crystal Clear. He asked that I post in SPIN her most recent interview, which I now do.

Quote:
The Coffee Shop Interview

By Crystal Clear, SPIN Press
Arashi, Stormia, 170AD

I am here in Arashi, at the front door of the “Great Feathers” coffee shop on Charioteer’s Avenue. I cannot believe my good fortune. I have been granted an interview with a number of the high-ranking leaders of Gathering Storm. They were in Arashi for a strategy meeting and I was able to grab 30 minutes of their time this morning for the interview. The coffee shop is bustling, and I am working my way through the crowd, ah there they are – over in the corner. I see Shiber, and Theseus, and Nbarclay, and oh my goodness, notyoueither is there as well. My lucky day! Wish me well.

Crystal: Greetings gentlemen! I am Crystal Clear from SPIN press.

Shiber: Welcome, Miss Clear.

Crystal: Please, please, don’t rise on my account. And waiter, yes, an ice latte would be nice. Once again, thank you for taking the time to meet with me today. Perhaps I will start with a question about our surroundings. Is Arashi always this busy?

Shiber: Yes. Isn’t it great? Makes you feel wonderful to be a Stormian.

Theseus: Indeed! Cheers! I’ll drink to that!

Nbarclay: To be more precise, the city is not ‘busy’ per se. It is operating at optimal efficiency given the assigned population density, production and wealth output, and improvements made to the infrastructure.

Crystal: Ah, I see. Well, lets move onto something more interesting, This “strategic planning” thing you are doing. What is it all about?

Shiber: We are looking out beyond current events and where we want our great nation to be in, say, 1000 years.

Theseus: Great stuff, by jove. I’ll drink to that!

Nbarclay: We are actually weighing the costs and benefits of various down-stream options, with a view to maximizing growth both geographically and financially. The options are laid out as a series of branching scenarios with key decision points high-lighted.

Crystal: Ah, I see. Does it have anything to do with current events on the Bobian continent.

Nye: No.

Crystal: Well, moving right along. Maybe we should revisit some of Gathering Storm’s glorious past - the war with Vox. Any reflections?

Shiber: Yes, glorious times they were. True hearts, honor and strategy beat treachery and deceit anytime.

Theseus: To say nothing of our stout-heartedness and damned good fighting skills. It was a good fight, yes. One can always use a good fight.

Nbarclay: And my analysis of the cost of the early Golden Age triggered by the Voxian invasion will be tabled with the senate next week.

Crystal: And you, nye?

Nye: We won.

Crystal: Um, yes, of course. So, allowing Vox to exodus in the controlled and peaceful manner you did, well, I guess my question is ‘why?’ They stabbed you in the back and then whipped up fervor and world opinion against you.

Shiber: True enough. It was a tough decision. Some wanted to axe them, others show mercy. It was quite a debate. But Stormian honor and generosity carried the day. I believe the Voxians have learned their lesson.

Theseus: And they were pretty much beaten by the later stages. It wouldn’t have been much of a fight in the end. Hardly worth it, really. The time was better spent celebrating.

Nbarclay: Furthermore, there were two benefits to their survival, First, we got their cities and terrain improvements intact. But secondly, Vox’s continued existence maintains the geo-political balance described in the Nbarclay-velocyrix theory of ‘the steady state of world politics’. You should read it someday.

Crystal: Mmm, yes. I will pick it up this afternoon. But speaking of velocyrix, is that not him across the room there?

Shiber: That is him, in the flesh. The “wayward son of Stormia”.

Crystal: But what is he doing? He pays no attention to anyone; he is just writing.

Shiber: Ah, that. Well yes. You see, he works on his missives. He returned from a long period in the mountains, at a place called CandleBre...

Theseus: …but don’t mention that too loudly. You see, CandleBre doesn’t really exist. Well, it does. But only in Vel’s mind. If you see my point?

Crystal: Indeed I do. His missives?

Shiber: Yes, these long public statements; he sends them out to the world at large.

Crystal: Ah yes. I recall reading a couple of them recently. Are they sanctioned GS communications?

Shiber: Well, I would say…

Nye: No comment.

Shiber: Yes, that is exactly what I would say - no comment.

Crystal: OK then. Why did he return? Does it relate to the recent departure of members of the Stormian senate.

Crystal: OK, well do you agree with his positions? Personally I mean.

Shiber: Well, Vel is always right. From my perspective…

Nye: That would be...

Crystal: Yes, I know.. ‘no comment’. Well, this is fun, maybe we should change topics. We have 10 minutes left. Let’s talk ‘Bob’.

Theseus: Ah good, the war. Now that is something I wish I could talk about. Now if only those loud-mouthed wimps who call themselves warmongers would come and get some, we REALLY would have something to talk about. As it is, our boys drill and train and train some more. They long for the good old days of kicking Voxian butt. By Grog, now that was a good war. Yes, there was talking, but at least we fought.

Shiber: Patience, Theseus. It may still come to a good fight on Bob. After all, diplomacy does not seem to be winning the day.

(all laugh, except for nye)

Crystal: Yes, there certainly seems to be considerably disagreement, and I should add, acrimony with Glory of War, over the ceding of the Spanish cities to GS. Any thoughts on the matter?

Nbarclay: They are wrong.

Shiber: And they are low-life and liars, to boot.

Theseus: I just wish they would attack.

Nye: We know the truth and we stand by it.

Crystal: And is there any truth to the rumor that you will be giving the old Voxian lands to the Spanish. I have to admit, this new-found alliance of yours does seem more like a matter of, shall I say… opportunity and convenience, as opposed to a long-standing friendship.

Nbarclay: The alliance is logical. Surely the other AI’s, er .. I mean, nations realize that.

Shiber: Spain deserves to live free!

Theseus: I tend to stay out of politics myself, but if it leads to a good fight, then I am all for it.

Crystal: And Spain in the Vox lands?

Crystal (glaring at nye): Come on nye, be reasonable. The rumors are out there. The world wants to know!

Nye: (glares back … but with a slight twinkle in his eyes …) And they will; in due time.

Nbarclay: Speaking of time, times up. We need to return to our meeting.

Crystal: Right. Well, thank you gentlemen. This has been a most, ah, illuminating discussion. And the latte was delicious. I must come back.

Nye: Please do.

I rise to leave, and find notyoueither has reached out to help me up. I leave the now somewhat less crowded café. My steps seem somewhat lighter. Is it the conclusion of a successful but somewhat stressful interview? Or was there really a twinkle there?

I glance back. Nye’s eyes meet mine. Yes! There it is! And then I am lost in the bustling crowds of the street.
vondrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2003, 18:29   #26
Theseus
Emperor

WARCHICKEN TRAINER VOWS RAZING OF FRYERS

Dateline: 290 AD, Arashi

Famed War Chicken handler and Director of Training at the Stormian Avian Academy, Engelbert Humperstorm, has released the following statement:

"Following reports that the dastardly leadership of GoW, especially that meanie Aggie, have developed plans for vast chicken frying facilities, we have developed a new training regimen for the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd War Chicken Brigades.

Henceforth, all War Chickens in these Brigades will receive special training during their second and third weeks at the Academy, in the destruction of any building that looks remotely like a fried chicken venue.

As is well known, War Chickens have a voracious appetite for bananas. We have build mock fried chicken venues at a secret location, and have FILLED them with bananas, which will be the only source of food during the entire second week of training.

Additionally, I have written a song that I call 'Dance the Night Away'. For the entire third week of training, the War Chickens will be penned in the mock fried chicken venues and forced to listen to this song 24 hours a day.

Thus, all War Chickens at the GoW front, upon seeing an evil fried chicken venue, shall immediately be released to hunt for bananas INSIDE the facility, and, once inside, will be be enraged by both the absence of bananas and the Stormian Drum and Fife Corps' playing of 'Dance the Night Away'.

We expect each War Chicken to be capable of razing at least 2 fried chicken venues per day.

Additionally, the Assistant Director of Training at the Avian Academy, Tom Jones-Rain, has developed a special training regimen for the 4th War Chicken Brigade (Special Operations Capable), in hunting down the evil leaders of GoW, including those responsible for the reprehensible fried chicken program. Life-size dummies of GoW leadership (a redundant concept) have been stuffed with bananas, especially in the general crotch region. During the second and third weeks of training, the bananas in the dummies will be the only available food for the birds. Mr. Jones-Rain has also written a special song, 'It's Not Unusual', which will be played for fourteen straight days as part of this Brigade's training, and through a cunning secret invention appears to be emanating from the GoW dummies.

The Avian Academy deeply deplores GoW's heartless attacks and machinations regarding our magnificent War Chickens, and will do everything in our power to bring them to their much-deserved pecking, clawing, and fiery ruin."

Last edited by Theseus; October 19, 2003 at 19:32.
Old October 24, 2003, 17:02   #27
Beta
lifer
Deity

Vox Market Update

Now the latest business news from the market in New Voice.

The VSX was up 4.5% today on news that Immortal Industries will turn a tidy quarterly profit, and that their latest militarty inventions are set for production. II was up .25 gold in today's trading.

The forestry sector was also up significantly, with analysts citing the recent licensing of tiles in southern Voxtavia for cutting.

On the futures market, pork bellies were down 3/8's, but chicken futures were up an eye-popping 89% on news of dramatically increased demand from war-ravaged Bob.

Now for the weather ....
Old October 26, 2003, 20:13   #28
Theseus
Emperor

Theseus goes insane; takes over the Strategy Forum

News at eleven.

Last edited by Theseus; October 27, 2003 at 14:47.
Old October 27, 2003, 12:58   #29
Beta
lifer
Deity

Theseus' Reporting Credentials Revoked

The World Press, in conjunction with SPIN, and the SBC, Stormian Broadcast Corporation, have revoked the reporting credentials of Theseus, a reporter familiar to readers of this paper.

At issue is Theseus' latest headline, proclaiming: "Theseus Goes Insane". Article 15.1/2 of the World Press Code of Ethics clearly states that a reporter must report on news, being defined in Article 1.6 as "new information".

The fact that Theseus has gone insane is definitely not "new" information by any stretch of the imagination. The majority of the reporting corps, as well as our informed readers are already aware of this fact.

Therefore, Theseus is deemed to be in violation of the World Press Code of Ethics. His reporting rights are hereby revoked for a period of 48 hours. A public apology/explanation would also be appropriate, and could help rebuild the tarnished image of this experienced reporter.

Last edited by Beta; October 27, 2003 at 13:03.
Beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2003, 13:40   #30
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Theseus' Reporting Credentials Revoked -editorial addition.

It should also be noted his "new(s) at eleven" never showed up at 11.