Old October 24, 1999, 05:57   #1
Stefan Härtel
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 06:48
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Very interesting...
It is very interesting to see who made what in the Scenario Design Contest...the scandal-like "Archer" was made by Techumseh...I surely would have never thought, as it is very different from his other scens... I gotta try out the others

Cool, this is topic #500 in the Sleague forun
Old October 24, 1999, 09:24   #2
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 23:48
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Whadaya mean..."scandal-like"?
Old October 27, 1999, 01:04   #3
techumseh
Emperor

Don't be shy, Stefan. I really won't be offended at all. I know this entry had its critics (a couple of whom also had entries in the contest). And I'm going to fix it up and re-release it with new leader portraits. So I'd like some feedback, and some playtesters for the improved version. And I don't mind a little friendly debate with the critics, either. We haven't had a good debate about the merits of a scenario for a long time!
Old October 27, 1999, 05:43   #4
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

One word of advice: ditch the tribe and leader namers! That would really create a much better atmo! For the rest it was quite good...and I even voted for it

Anyway, I might make an update of my scenario as well since it's quite popular (and because some people asked me to). Suggestions anyone? (beside the Seekers, since that's the first thing I'll change).
Old October 27, 1999, 08:14   #5
Michael Daumen
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 00:48
Good topic. I want to know why my events file seemed so small (it was pretty large in terms of data) to everyone.

And who got all the SciFi references?

------------------
Michael Daumen

"the future is not yet"
Old October 27, 1999, 23:09   #6
techumseh
Emperor

I know you didn't like the names of the Civs or leaders, Mark. I wanted to have some link with the present, so took seven companies from the top 100 list of world corporations (3 American, 2 Japanese, 1 British and 1 German). There is a real trend towards huge corporations and weaker governments so I thought it was a legitimate thing to do. As for the names of off-topic posters, that was an idea discussed with much enthusiasm last summer by many here on this forum. I did it just for fun. What else are you going to name a bunch of A.I.s a thousand years from now?

But I think it has more basic problems. It was barely playtested at all. I was so far behind that the thing was sent out with only about 20 turns of actual play. So it has a major play balance problem: Microsoft is far too powerful, and only Mitsubishi has a slim chance to stop them. Second, all civs run deficits and I should have set up a bunch of pre-existing trade routes. I've fixed these things in version 2.

I've also relabeled the spy sound so it now works. I put Humani Base units in the Humani Cities. This will make them harder to take and will trigger the terrorist nuclear attack event when the cities fall. I've also improved the look of the land (sea) squares. As mentioned above, I've replaced the leader portraits in the Mk.dll file with pictures more suitable to 31st century Artificial Intelligences. The file is 2.45 MB and is optional.

I'm very interested in whether the mechanics of the scenario work. Are the units the right strength? No one commented about the VirTaGos (virus) units. They are weapons which are very weak and damage the opponent by triggering an event when they're destroyed. Did people find they worked? I found that they stopped working after a while and I don't know why.

Is anyone interested in playtesting version 2? Please let me know. I'll need a few days to finalize the changes, so bear with me.

Old October 28, 1999, 00:22   #7
Stefan Härtel
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

I mean all these threads, like "is archer's entry legal" and so. Well, I liked it a lot.