Old August 2, 2003, 12:59   #1
The Big Mc
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 06:48
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Tiles, tile edit and the source code
In recent weeks we have all been talking about what we will do when we get are hands on the code but we have not dealt with one area the map,

The map as it is has several problems one being missing tiles for several tile combinations (eg ridge). But I was wondering if there were a few other people out there who to were planning to possible change the map.

My planes

My planes are simple to alter the underwater tiles to look something like. At the minuet these are flat and boring and underwater colonisation is the question of were is the best strategically.

Tile edit

With the source code it will be possible to find out what the last block does. But before we get that we can have a good guess at what we think it is answers on a postcard to….

So what you think hopefully we will get some ideas going around
Old August 2, 2003, 13:56   #2
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 07:48
I would like to redo/replace graphics for some terrains (maybe glacier, forest, white hills and some others) and tile improvements, depends how people feel really. I think the ones in the game are easily recognisable but not very detailed. If it were possible, maybe a mod with more detailed tile improvements and improved terrain that you could just switch to in-game, dunno what will be possible really.

Did these a while ago messing for a ww2 scenario thats unfinished, stolen mostly from other places but make some original ones myself.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	97
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	50836  
Old August 2, 2003, 14:29   #3
The Big Mc
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

changing tiles are interesting but what terrain would do add with the source code we could add terrain to the basic make up of a map
Old August 2, 2003, 15:42   #4
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 07:48
Dont you think there are enough terrain types already? I think theres a few too many or at least too many useless ones like swamps or white hills. If you asked me to add any maybe id say flood plains, off the top of my head, but i dont see any need for more.

There should be some changes to the map generator, whether it be tile arrangements aswell or with the generator only, but thats another thing.
Old August 3, 2003, 09:35   #5
The Big Mc
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

well i plan to change underwater train which is boring to say the least
Old August 6, 2003, 12:48   #6
ahenobarb
Prince

The first thing i want to change about the map (BTW I volunteer to work on this part of the code, I'm familiar with C) is how it handles the different temperature bands. Start a game with 100% land and you'll see what I mean. You can clearly see where the bands are.

I want to improve how the terrain types are selected in each band. Also a big glaring error is that deserts aren't the dominate terrain at the equator -- stop looking at that mercador projection! The equator is dominated by jungles because the wind takes a downward dive from both north and south there. Deserts are located to the north and south of the equator because the winds are rising from those locations heading for the downward crash of moisture on to the equator.

Also, I don't like it that CTP2 creates continents in "clumps", I would prefer to use a better algorithm for this. There was a great one someone used to create continents with fractiles for Freeciv.

Let's bring back the underwater ridges and put some volcanic activity along them.

Also, let's write IW's natural disasters into the source code.

Finally, I want to differentiate the terrain better in terms of game play. (I think SMIFFGIG proposed this idea intially -- ) So that if you walk through a swamp for an extended period of time, you may catch a disease and lose some hit points and have to turn back. In a desert, you may run out of water so you lose hit points. Climbing those white peaked mountains? Looks like some of you guys won't make it! This way the geography becomes more of a barrier to where you can spread you empire. Of course, you have to tell the AI about this, but I think it's completely worth it!!
Old August 6, 2003, 13:13   #7
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 08:48
Quote:
Originally posted by ahenobarb
I want to improve how the terrain types are selected in each band. Also a big glaring error is that deserts aren't the dominate terrain at the equator -- stop looking at that mercador projection! The equator is dominated by jungles because the wind takes a downward dive from both north and south there. Deserts are located to the north and south of the equator because the winds are rising from those locations heading for the downward crash of moisture on to the equator.
As far as I know the map is generated by using the map plug ins, defined in the userprofile.txt, you get interesting results if you play around with them. Hopefully we get the source code of these *.dll files, too.

-Martin
Old August 6, 2003, 14:49   #8
ahenobarb
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Martin Gühmann

As far as I know the map is generated by using the map plug ins, defined in the userprofile.txt, you get interesting results if you play around with them. Hopefully we get the source code of these *.dll files, too.

-Martin
Da, tovarich.

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...ghlight=crater
Old August 6, 2003, 15:21   #9
Ekmek
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Local Time: 23:48
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by The Big Mc
well i plan to change underwater train which is boring to say the least
If you are redoing the water tiles I'll leave them alone since I'm still working on my new Terrain til usiing Snoppy's (and now many others) to give CTP2 a better terrain look.

See me at Civfanatics.com
Old August 17, 2003, 16:56   #10
The Big Mc
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

any ideas are welcome