Old August 2, 2003, 18:13   #31
reds4ever
Prince

Local Time: 07:48
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
yep, 198,000 in Brazil, I guess health and safety wasn't a big issue back then

Well, I was only 2,000 from the number...
Not bad for a yank
Old August 2, 2003, 18:14   #32
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 06:48
Quote:
How many matches does a typical club play each year?
40-60 depending on how well they do in knockout competitions.
Old August 2, 2003, 18:17   #33
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 02:48
OK, now I understad why Barca doesn't sell out all of their home games--there are so many home games. College football teams only have 6 home games and pro 8-10.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old August 2, 2003, 18:17   #34
yaroslav
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

About average games:

It depends on the competitions the club play in. For instance, a medium bad club plays between 30 and 38 games in its national leage and an average of 4 or 5 in its national cup.

However, if the teams play in an european competition, like the European Champions Leage or the UEFA Cup, you could add more matchs (from 1 if you get kicked off in the first leg of the UEFA Cup to 22 or 24 if you reach the last game of Champions Leage).

Add to that the friendly games and the games of others competitions (like regional tournaments in some countries, pre-clasificatory games for Europeans competitions in low soccer level countries, and so on)
Old August 2, 2003, 18:18   #35
C0ckney
King

between 38 and 46 league games (depending on what divison they are in) a few cup games, if they're a big team often some european games as well and of course pre-season friendlies and the like. so basically FP isn't too far out.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old August 2, 2003, 18:21   #36
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by C0ckney
so basically FP isn't too far out.
I know. Which is why I said it.

I suppose a team that played in the Premier League, got to the final of both cups and the Champions League would play about 75 games (haven't bothered to add it up exactly), but that's an extreme case.
Old August 2, 2003, 18:21   #37
DanS
Deity

For comparison purposes, baseball has 81 home games. The best teams might sell out whole seasons with capacity of about 50,000.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old August 2, 2003, 18:24   #38
C0ckney
King

each team has 81 home games?! or am i misunderstanding?

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old August 2, 2003, 18:24   #39
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

That's because baseball is great.
Old August 2, 2003, 18:25   #40
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
each team has 81 home games?! or am i misunderstanding?
That's true. Each team plays 162 games in a season. They play most days between April and September, then the playoffs start.
Old August 2, 2003, 18:27   #41
reds4ever
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
That's because baseball is great.
Mens rounders?
Old August 2, 2003, 18:28   #42
C0ckney
King

bloody hell, and i thought our football season was packed. that's nearly a game every two days!

Old August 2, 2003, 18:28   #43
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 08:48
Womens FOOTBALL is only a big sport in America. In Europe, there might be a lot of women players, but it's not a big sport for audience. Men's football is another issue.

I only watch football during the WC and European Championship, and only if Sweden is involved. Our team have done quite well recently, with WC Bronze in 1994 and advance from group play last summer. Only bad luck kept us from reaching the quarter-final when Anders Svensson hit the goal post (ball bouncing outwards) just a minute before Ivory Coast hit the goal post (ball bouncing inwards). I was currently vaccum-cleaning and was not far from throwing the vaccum cleaner out from the balcony.
Old August 2, 2003, 18:29   #44
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Dan: http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn.htm
Last seasons football attendance averages for what looks like every league in Europe.
Old August 2, 2003, 18:29   #45
yavoon
Warlord

I hate baseball, dominates espn for like 5 months. until football starts again and baseball gets shoved aside.
Old August 2, 2003, 18:31   #46
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by reds4ever
Mens rounders?
Actually the rules are very different to rounders. Your ignorance is showing.
Old August 2, 2003, 18:32   #47
reds4ever
Prince

Quote:
bloody hell, and i thought our football season was packed. that's nearly a game every two days!
but it's not concentrated effort, swing the bat three times, miss and thats you finished!
Old August 2, 2003, 18:33   #48
reds4ever
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by FrustratedPoet

Actually the rules are very different to rounders. Your ignorance is showing.
Old August 2, 2003, 18:35   #49
reds4ever
Prince

..and don't even get me started on Mens Netball!!!
Old August 2, 2003, 18:38   #50
DanS
Deity

Womens FOOTBALL is only a big sport in America. In Europe, there might be a lot of women players, but it's not a big sport for audience. Men's football is another issue.

The Washington Freedom (Washington's womens soccer team) seems to average about 10,000 in the stands.
Old August 2, 2003, 18:41   #51
DanS
Deity

Quote:
Last seasons football attendance averages for what looks like every league in Europe.
Muchos gracias. It looks like Real Madrid has the highest average--about 70,000. I guess that's probably average for a midling professional football team in the US. Many fewer home games, of course.

Some of the European average soccer attendances are truly pathetic!
Old August 2, 2003, 18:42   #52
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 08:48
Quote:

The Washington Freedom (Washington's womens soccer team) seems to average about 10,000 in the stands.
That's what national women's teams get in Europe, at the best. My wife thinks our 2-year old daughter will be a professional football player and I keep telling her that then she has to move to America. There's no money in womens football in Europe, as the male football is so good here.
Old August 2, 2003, 18:44   #53
reds4ever
Prince

Dan
But Real Madrid will never be Real Barcalona, there are some things you can't put a price on
Old August 2, 2003, 18:49   #54
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
that's nearly a game every two days!
Yeah, and most times teams play 3-4 games in a row, have a travel day and then play 3-4 games again in a row... until the end of the season.

Position players don't get too tired from it (they play defense and hit), but pitchers usually can't go every day (some relief pitchers who only pick an inning per game can string together a few games play though).
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old August 2, 2003, 18:50   #55
DanS
Deity

Quote:
That's what national women's teams get in Europe, at the best. My wife thinks our 2-year old daughter will be a professional football player and I keep telling her that then she has to move to America. There's no money in womens football in Europe, as the male football is so good here
Well, to be fair, there are only 8 women's pro soccer teams and 8 men's pro soccer teams.

In college football there are 120 Division I-A teams, in pro ~30. In pro baseball there are ~30 teams, with ~120 farm pro teams plus numerous semi-pro teams.
Old August 2, 2003, 18:57   #56
DanS
Deity

There's a young (male) player from the Washington area that immigrated from Ghana, who might make mens soccer more popular here. But it will probably continue to be like cycling. Limited appeal, even if your guy dominates the Tour de France.
Old August 2, 2003, 18:59   #57
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Freddie Adu?

I think that within 50 years, soccer will reach the level of hockey, at the least. Sten, OTOH, thinks it'll be 20 years before it dominates. He's a bit too optimistic .

But it'll definetly catch on, especially with the changing demographic of America. The Latino immigrants will help the sport rise (MLS should have a soccer team in Texas, IMO).
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old August 2, 2003, 19:06   #58
C0ckney
King

freddie adu is a good little player, he'll be off to spain, italy or maybe here when he's a bit older most likely.

i know a little about the american league, it's very, very different to leagues anywhere else. the transfers are wierd (drafts and all that) and there's no promotions/relegation!

Old August 2, 2003, 19:07   #59
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Yeah, it's a more American league.

About no promotions/relegation, there aren't enough teams for that right now. It might bankrupt the league if they were to form that many teams and try to have them all make money.
Old August 2, 2003, 19:09   #60
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
there's no promotions/relegation!
Yes that sucks, but it's not really possible when you only have 8 teams. There are a few european countries (really crappy ones) that don't have enough pro teams to support more than one league.