Old August 2, 2003, 22:41   #91
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 15:48
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
And you think OSU and Michigan fans aren't in the same boat?

Brit fans don't even have tailgate parties, do they?
No, of course they don't. This is one reason why attendances look low.

The grounds are mostly located (for historical reasons) smack in the middle of heavily built up areas. This means that there is no car parking and that they can't be easily enlarged.

There is a move to relocate to suburban areas with lots of car parking, but people like being able to walk from the pub to the ground.
Old August 2, 2003, 22:46   #92
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 00:48
How large is an average attendance at a soccer riot?
Old August 2, 2003, 23:00   #93
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 02:48

Here's a good collation of all the information on "football" for 2000, although they left out college football. Boo. Hiss.

http://www.european-football-statist...1attnworld.htm

American football has the top 10 slots, and 17 out of the top 20. Barcelona is 11th. America (Mexico) is second among the soccer clubs at 17th (interesting, because I've never heard of them). Aussie rules breaks in at 41 and Canadian football at 81.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old August 2, 2003, 23:07   #94
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
although they left out college football.
I assume because it is a comparison of 'professional' sports... not that college football is too far off that moniker .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old August 2, 2003, 23:10   #95
DanS
Deity

And here's a better, more recent list. Barcelona is #5 in this list. American football has 16 out of the top 20.

http://www.geocities.com/worldfootba...003/index.html
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old August 2, 2003, 23:13   #96
DanS
Deity

Lastly, the top MLS team is #169 on the list. Not too bad, I guess, considering that MLS is a startup.
Old August 2, 2003, 23:18   #97
Imran Siddiqui
staff

From your last list Dan, I'd say it'd feel comparatively lonely to be a fan watching the Arizona Cardinals .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old August 2, 2003, 23:21   #98
cinch
Warlord

Local Time: 23:48
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
And here's a better, more recent list. Barcelona is #5 in this list. American football has 16 out of the top 20.

http://www.geocities.com/worldfootba...003/index.html
AND the CFL has moved up to 66th spot! WAHOO! AND it's the Eskimos! I had no idea us lowly Canadian Football fans were outperforming fans of teams like Arsenal and Aston Villa. I feel so special.

SPONTANEOUS CFL TALK (Anyone?): The Ticats lost AGAIN! 0-7! HA! Brilliant.
Old August 2, 2003, 23:22   #99
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Here is another interesting link from that site:

http://www.geocities.com/worldfootba...25Leagues.html

Showing the average attendance of the top football leagues in the world. Interesting to note that the MLS outdraws the Scottish Premier League (of course the SPL isn't all that great, but it is definetly better than MLS quality wise).
Old August 2, 2003, 23:26   #100
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Other interesting stuff... the MLS has twice as many more fans per game than the US Women's League (15,852 v. 6,943). And the MLS grew by 12.31% (YAY! ), while the women's league fell by 17.50% (Boo! )
Old August 2, 2003, 23:44   #101
yavoon
Warlord

Local Time: 06:48
Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
From your last list Dan, I'd say it'd feel comparatively lonely to be a fan watching the Arizona Cardinals .
arizona isnt lower only cuz its centrally located between dallas, oakland and denver. so when they play those teams the stadium gets inundated w/ the opposing teams fans.
Old August 3, 2003, 00:06   #102
Worthingtons
Prince

Yes, it's very true stadium locations have led to Football in England being poorly attended compared with Soccer in America.

This is because , As stadiums had to convert to all seaters they found they could only seat 30000-40000 (Premier league clubs), and hence kicked off the Television Culture by fans disallusioned at not getting Tickets. Even the clubs that have now located out of town struggle to get back fans accustomed to not getting a ticket and hence have become used to the TV.

Furthermore the actual numbers concerned with potential fan bases for UK Football Clubs are a problem compared with America.

Take the Top League, Either the NFL or the Premier for the respective sport.
The Best teams, in the top leagues tend to come from Cities, often big cities. In America City Sizes of the 'Top' Cities are MUCH MUCH larger than in the UK. Lets think of one our Top UK Cities, Leeds - It has probably 3/4 Million people living there nowdays. Go down the order in America and a simular city would be Multi-Millions - And therefore it's brand would be much less restricted.
Old August 3, 2003, 00:15   #103
DanS
Deity

Quote:
The Best teams, in the top leagues tend to come from Cities, often big cities. In America City Sizes of the 'Top' Cities are MUCH MUCH larger than in the UK. Lets think of one our Top UK Cities, Leeds - It has probably 3/4 Million people living there nowdays. Go down the order in America and a simular city would be Multi-Millions - And therefore it's brand would be much less restricted.
All very true. On the other hand, getting to the stadiums is probably much less of a hassle in the UK.

Quote:
This is because , As stadiums had to convert to all seaters they found they could only seat 30000-40000 (Premier league clubs), and hence kicked off the Television Culture by fans disallusioned at not getting Tickets. Even the clubs that have now located out of town struggle to get back fans accustomed to not getting a ticket and hence have become used to the TV.
What do you mean by "all-seaters"? Do you mean there are actual seats (like pro football in the US) or there is just a bench on which to sit (most college football in the US)?
Old August 3, 2003, 00:33   #104
Worthingtons
Prince

Actual Seats in England. In Italy it's benches though.
My Team , Rotherham United, holds about 10500 now (although it's worth noting there is still one stand w/o seats although we have just one left to rectift this!) yet used to hold in excess of 20000.
Old August 3, 2003, 04:32   #105
TheStinger
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 07:48
In 1926 (IIRC) the 1st FA cup final was played at Wembley officialy aprox 130000 got in. The police estimated another 100,000 got in unofficialy.

Before people got worried about saftey crowds used to be well in excess of 100,000 for internationals in the UK. Scotland I think manged to get 140,000 into Hampden park. The Marracana is huge so 200,000 in the days of virtually all terracing is not unrealistic.

! test match in India or at the MCG could easily have a total attendence of over 300,000
Old August 3, 2003, 04:32   #106
C0ckney
King

yeah but it's only the prem where all the teams have all seaters, a lot of first division clubs do, but it's not universal. lower down and you can still find terraces to stand on.

and worth, very good points, but leeds are crap

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old August 3, 2003, 04:37   #107
Worthingtons
Prince

Not Really Cockney, Not even many Nationwide clubs have standing left now.
I was only aware that my own Rotherham have Standing in the first division (this is because clubs HAVE to be all seater inside 3 seasons of div 1) .... and we're in our 3rd season now
Old August 3, 2003, 04:42   #108
C0ckney
King

nah, i've been to a fair few 2nd and third division games, except at places like the circle in hull (25,000 all seater for division 3!) there are usually terraces, although yes, it is becoming rarer

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old August 3, 2003, 04:43   #109
C0ckney
King

i dxidn't know that about division one btw, haven't been to a game in a while, although i might catch a few cardiff city games next season.

Old August 3, 2003, 05:34   #110
Kropotkin
Emperor

Local Time: 08:48
All-seaters suck. Give me a terrace every day. I guess the background is an attempt to stop violence but if some ****er tells me to sit down in front they'll see some real houliganism.
Old August 3, 2003, 05:34   #111
Solly
Emperor

Cardiff City?

You are in Swansea aren't you? Port Talbot and Afan Lido play at home on consecutive weeks - that's a game a week for around £4. Unless you are a football snob..

BTW, Man United could get 400k attendances but stadiums are limited in size by more factors than in the US.
Old August 3, 2003, 05:37   #112
Solly
Emperor

"All-seaters suck. Give me a terrace every day. I guess the background is an attempt to stop violence but if some ****er tells me to sit down in front they'll see some real houliganism."

Yeah definitely.

We've had beer bottles in the Dias Stand before...

Old August 3, 2003, 05:38   #113
Solly
Emperor

A prize for guessing who the guy on the bottom row, on the far left is. Quite an attraction for the one game he played as I remember it.
Old August 3, 2003, 05:43   #114
Solly
Emperor

How about an action shot...

Old August 3, 2003, 07:23   #115
C0ckney
King

yeah i didn't watch that much local footie in swansea, maybe 5-6 games. because it usually clashed with me actually playing football. don't know about next year though

Old August 3, 2003, 11:52   #116
DanS
Deity

Btw, are you allowed to have alcohol in stadiums in Europe? In the US...

pro football--yes
college football--no
pro baseball--yes of course
pro soccer--don't know
Old August 3, 2003, 12:02   #117
reds4ever
Prince

Quote:
Btw, are you allowed to have alcohol in stadiums in Europe? In the US...

pro football--yes
college football--no
pro baseball--yes of course
pro soccer--don't know
In the 'big' grounds in England the 'plebs' can drink bfore the game and at half time although you can't take your drink back to your seat, you have to drink it in a designated area (don't ask!)

If you have enough money to buy a 'box' (not sure what the American equivilent would be called) you get waiter service throughout the match
Old August 3, 2003, 12:04   #118
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 01:48
Quote:
Actually, the college sports have a lot of fan participation, although they are generally very well mannered. I fear the day that a Brit team has the 105,000 attendance of a typical Ohio State or Michigan game.
Only because Universities threaten to expel students who run out on the field or start fights in the stands. Not to mention that alchohol isn't allowed in the stadiums either, I bet that if the Brits couldn't drink inside the stadium that they would be much more tame as well
Old August 3, 2003, 12:18   #119
Solly
Emperor

If you are not allowed to drink in the stadium, you just have an extra couple of pints before the game. Usually making the problem of hooliganism worse.

There are similarities with the 11pm close of bars. It forces people to neck a few pints before last orders, and then spilling onto the street when the beer is starting to kick in.
Old August 3, 2003, 12:26   #120
Footie Mad
Prince

No terraces to stand on, that's just horrible.
I heard that at many higher league games in England the atmosphere has gotten real shitty compared to earlier for various reasons, any of you brits want to give me som insider info on if this is true and if so why?
It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars