Old August 3, 2003, 19:00   #31
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 07:49
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Shiber
There is a UN wonder, but it triggers the UN vote, which means that the game ends unless there's a tie (in which case the UN vote will be restarted next turn, ad infinitum).
Umm, Shiber, when did you get to the Modern Era last time?

The UN makes it possible to hold elections for the UN Secretary General. The choice whether to hold them or not belongs to the civ possessing the wonder. The vote may be held either on the turn the wonder is completed or every 13th turn onwards (is it 13? I think it is... definitely not every turn), until there's a UN Secretary General elected - which is where the game ends, yes.
Old August 3, 2003, 19:02   #32
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 00:49
I would like to make the following UN Proposal:

UN Proposal 000001 Aa

That the Global Community has come to the obvious concensus that Shiber of Gathering Storm is a naughty dog. And that pursuant with his being a naughty dog should likewise be expediantly removed from potential harm to the global society at large.

Therefore upon the authority of this resolution the aforementioned naughty dog known as Shiber shall forthwith be put to sleep.

Resolved by the United Nations
Old August 3, 2003, 19:36   #33
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 02:49
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Consider me Russia on the UN Security Council.

Nay.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old August 3, 2003, 20:23   #34
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Master Zen
Bah! It's always worth a shot

Anyway, don't blame me if by PTWDG IV nobody gives a hoot about written agreements...
Or, alternatively, if they know to be a whole lot more careful to avoid ambiguities in those agreements. In any case, this is the last democracy game for me just because of how much time the things consume (and not always at times when it's convenient).
Old August 3, 2003, 20:25   #35
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
There is a UN wonder, but it triggers the UN vote, which means that the game ends unless there's a tie (in which case the UN vote will be restarted next turn, ad infinitum).
It only triggers a vote if its builder wants it to.
Old August 3, 2003, 20:29   #36
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 08:49
Quote:
Originally posted by vondrack

Umm, Shiber, when did you get to the Modern Era last time?

The UN makes it possible to hold elections for the UN Secretary General. The choice whether to hold them or not belongs to the civ possessing the wonder. The vote may be held either on the turn the wonder is completed or every 13th turn onwards (is it 13? I think it is... definitely not every turn), until there's a UN Secretary General elected - which is where the game ends, yes.
It wasn't like this with the first Civ3 SPDG (Civ3 1.29f). We rushed the UN with a leader and the next turn, the vote was triggered.
Or perhaps I'm not remembering this correctly. I have never built the UN in my own games, and the first SPDG ended a while ago... could be that I don't remember, so in this case I'll assume that you're right.

Edit: cross-posted with Nathan.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old August 3, 2003, 22:52   #37
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

I think doggie's chased too many mailmen into their trucks vapor fumes.......

(Of course that statement makes absolutely no sense unless your a veteran of the Apolyton forums and can remember way back several years ago when we had VISIBLE avatars.....)
Old August 4, 2003, 00:00   #38
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I would think twice of making fun of the doggie... it's got the mark of the beast... err... the storm, on it's head!

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old August 4, 2003, 00:39   #39
badams52
King

Local Time: 22:49
Local Date: November 1, 2010
With so many against the UN, looks like Trip won't have to worry about it. Cause as long as 1 nation decides not to join the UN, the UN will crumble.

It's too bad, cause I like the idea that it could bring closure to the flame fests (are you guys still arguing about who's at fault in the GoW-GS war?). Even if it ended up being a toothless tiger.
Old August 4, 2003, 00:58   #40
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 01:49
Old August 4, 2003, 01:00   #41
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by badams52
(are you guys still arguing about who's at fault in the GoW-GS war?)
I think we've concluded it was Roleplay's fault.
Old August 4, 2003, 03:49   #42
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 23:49
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Old August 5, 2003, 21:52   #43
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

UN Proposal 000002 Aa

Regardless of the conflict or dispute, the UN hereby decrees it is Roleplay's fault, even if Roleplay has ceased to exist.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old August 5, 2003, 23:38   #44
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Aaaah, but what if RP roleplays the UN?

And Spamish Mitchell re-appears (let's remember that they are Roman Catholic, and thus Italian more or less), and the UN votes that Spamish Mitchell is immune to all prosecution?

(not that we have too many Italian players, but what goes on there in RL is mind-boggling)

Aaaaand, the UN then decrees that MPP does not equal NAP, but ROP is NA in the case of NAP but not MPP, and CG and UT are allowed only in dire circumstances, but GL (hah! which one?!) is disallowed for at minimum 5 turns, unless all parties agree and then disband?

Ah HAH!!

And then do you choose:

Cake or Death?

Thank you for flying Church of Theseus... some Chivas with your Chivas, sir? Tastes of... Chivas.

/me unable to play another turn of my replay of the vicious AU 208, and lashing out at the world. Where's my Chivas? Frigates?... you bastards. Throw some Chivas at ya, prolly better than friggin' Cannons. Arrgghh.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old August 6, 2003, 02:43   #45
Master Zen
Deity

UN Proposal 000003 Cc

No more booze for Theseus while posting at Apolyton.

Old August 6, 2003, 12:14   #46
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Just say no to the UN. No offense, but I think it's a terrible idea.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old August 6, 2003, 12:26   #47
Master Zen
Deity

UN Proposal 000004 Dd

Declaration on the Rights of Omlettes

The integrity of eggs shall be respected under all circumstances.

Old August 6, 2003, 14:34   #48
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

MZ - you are either brave or stupid to bring this up. I will give you the benefit of the doubt and say you are stu.. er no I mean brave.

I think Theseus said that the Public forum is the UN. I wholeheartedly agree. I don't know why people get upset by the flamefests; I for one think they are great, and an integral part to the game, and more importantly, the dynamic we have created. Logic and emotion and all our various personalities get intertwined. Sort of like RL, but with less hassles.

And MZ, I don't think all agreements or treaties will be worthless by ptwdgIV. Some stick, some don't. Trust and understanding go beyond the written word - which is what I believe vondrack was saying. There is skill involved in trying to figure when a treaty is no longer working for the other civ, and if they might renege on it based on the level of perceived inequity, the other civ's prior behaviour, or other influences in the game.

The only form of UN I could see is H_E's version - which would simply be the same public threads in a diffrent venue and with some roleplay added. But no power to do anything. The one advantage is that the flamefests could be reduced to one official speaker per team - but IMO, that would kill most of the fun.

Game on!

(And Ghengis - careful with Shiber - the SPCA is watching you...)
Old August 6, 2003, 14:41   #49
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 08:49
SPCA?
Is this a new kind of battle flea or something?
- Phantom of the Opera
Old August 6, 2003, 21:38   #50
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Quote:
SPCA?
Is this a new kind of battle flea or something?
Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.
Old August 6, 2003, 22:12   #51
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

I hereby declare this UN officially open. All individual members of any PTWDG team may request recognition by the UN and vote and propose resolutions.

The sovereign state of GhengisFarb petitions for recognition.

The UN officially recognizes the Sovereign State of GhengisFarb.

JoJo, UN representative of the Sovereign State of GhengisFarb proposed the following UN Resolution:

That SPCA be declared a Terrorist and Outlawed Organization and any nation giving harbor to its agents be boycotted by all UN members.

As the only current recognized UN Member, GhengisFarb votes Aye the resolution passes and SPCA officially goes on the list of Terrorist and Outlawed Organizations.

United Nations Members
Sovereign State of GhengisFarb (Formerly known as Ghengland in the NationStates game)

List of Terrorist and Outlawed Organizations
SPCA
Old August 7, 2003, 08:19   #52
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 01:49
Sorry, but this entire U.N. idea seems incredibly lame to me (regardless of form). A game U.N. would be as meaningless as the real U.N. when it comes to telling sovereign nations what is "right" and "wrong". In the end, power politics will be power politics (ESPECIALLY in the cutthroat Civ3 world...) and no U.N. is going to be able to do anything about it (or even be inclined to do so other than by partisan voting that typically does not reflect real power relations).

As for the flamefest, that stuff just comes with the territory. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. That said, you don't HAVE to sink to the same level unless you want to.