Old August 3, 2003, 13:28   #1
Solly
Emperor

Local Time: 07:51
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Gym/Exercise
What do you do?

About three or four times a week I'll do 20-30 minutes on a cycling machine keeping my heart rate around 155, and then around 1.5 miles on a treadmill in around 15 minutes, in a combination of walking and sprinting. No weights - I have enough muscle naturally, and am trying to mainly remove fat.

I'd reckon most people here don't do enough exercise..?
Old August 3, 2003, 13:32   #2
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 06:51
Cycle to work and back every day. 30 mins total per day, 5 days a week - no idea what my heart rate would be, but I go as fast as I can (usually late ) so I get pretty out of breath.

10 mins of sit-ups and 10 mins of lifting weights either 0, 1 or 2 times a day depending on if I can be bothered or not. Usually only once.
Old August 3, 2003, 13:37   #3
Solly
Emperor

Your HB would hit up around 180 I'd imagine, FP.

I've cut since the start of June - started at 198lbs (14 stone 2 lbs) and am now 181lbs (12 st 11lbs). I'd like to lose another 7 lbs or so, but I doubt I'll manage it any time soon due to this damn London meeting..
Old August 3, 2003, 14:09   #4
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS

I lift my fat a55 off the chair once in a while to go to the fridge or to go pee.
Old August 3, 2003, 14:16   #5
C0ckney
King

my job is pretty phyiscal, and because i'm a lazy git that does me for exercise. it wouldn't hurt for me to lose half a stone but i can't be bothered making the effort right now.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old August 3, 2003, 14:23   #6
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS

Maybe the extra stone needs to lose YOU!

Hinx, minx, the old witch winks...
Old August 3, 2003, 14:29   #7
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Local Time: 22:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I run two miles every day on the streets, meaning there are downhills, flats and uphills. It takes me around 12:00 minutes. Then I life weights every other day.Thighs, calfs, back, biceps, and pects. Then I play soccer twice a week for a total of 4 hours.

I'd say I do enough excercise.
Old August 3, 2003, 14:29   #8
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

I cycle to and from work 5 times a week (and grin smugly at all the drivers in rush hour gridlock ) which is about 5-10 mins there (downhill) and about 15 back. I go to the gym between 1 and 4 times a week, do 2 or 3 sets of weights, about an hour in total, and I do free weights most nights (just a few dumbell curls and shoulder presses). I probably do enough, though I'm trying to make up since I stopped doing athletics a year or so ago, and used to train (about 3 to 4 hours) 3 times a week. I don't put muscle on though, I guess I just don't have the genes, though I get stronger and faster, so that's ok.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old August 3, 2003, 14:31   #9
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 09:51
Lawrence of Arabia, 2 miles for 12 minutes? That's good. You're in good physical condition.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old August 3, 2003, 14:32   #10
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 00:51
I use to work out a lot more

ahven't at all in a little over two weeks, was going to go today, probably will go tomorrow

Jon Miller
Old August 3, 2003, 14:38   #11
Pekka
Emperor

You want to lose fat, but don't want to get more muscles? Run, run and run your ass off... you have to increase that to let's say one hour per day, not including warm up and stretching. But including few brakes or slow downs. Swim, swim, swim your ass off. Do 2 kilometer swim 3 times a week, combined to the running.

This is what I do for cardio, but then add muscle training too. That is if I'm actively training, which I haven't currently done in few months. I should boost up again, my beer drinking will give me too much gut sooner or later .
Old August 3, 2003, 14:41   #12
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS

All things in moderation. You can't drink like a fish, can you? I mean, try living in a frathouse keg sometime and THEN we'll see how bad your drinking problem is.

Old August 3, 2003, 14:43   #13
Pekka
Emperor

Oh and doing that (running 1 hour per day straight and swimming 2 kilmoeters 3 x a week) IS HARD for your body if you're not used to it. Boddingtons seems to do some work out so he can hack it, but if you haven't moved a lot lately, be careful. Listen to your body.
Especially in running, you have to watch out your knees. When they start REALLY hurting, you're likely to have an injury, can't know the name in english, but can result to braking your bones for real. These appear in the second or third week of running, so be careful and if you start to hurt seriously.. just rest and start again when you feel you're healed.
Old August 3, 2003, 14:46   #14
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

lift weights

for all you players in training make sure you are lifting your legs because the ladies like guys with nice legs

they comment all the time on it

Mis Novias
Old August 3, 2003, 14:48   #15
*End Is Forever*
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I've not made the gym as much as I'd liked recently, but as a general rule when I'm there I'll do between 30 minutes and an hour on the treadmill, usually a brisk walk uphill interspersed with a number of five-minute running spurts, plus some cycling, followed by a short swim (nothing major - 5 to 10 lengths say - as I'm a lousy swimmer) just to cool off.

I also play tennis at least twice a week.
Old August 3, 2003, 14:51   #16
Pekka
Emperor

Good thing to do in gym is to lift your regular set with weights for about 30-45 minutes. And after that you go for the rowing boat thingie or what ever you have and do a hard 30-45 minute exersize, hard hard, kill yourself in it. It's a great anaerobic training, and that'll lose some of that fat too, and gives you great cardio.

edit: yeah, just like End Is Forever said.

If you do it correctly, it's very very effective and gives good results. One of my fav things.
Old August 3, 2003, 14:58   #17
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 23:51
I jog three times a week for 30 minutes and swim twice a week also for 30 minutes. I really need to start lifting weights but the truth is I'm a lazy *****.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old August 3, 2003, 15:01   #18
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

DP Deleted

Last edited by Drogue; August 3, 2003 at 15:11.
Old August 3, 2003, 15:02   #19
Drogue
staff

Pekka: If it lasts for 30-45 mins constant, like a rowing machine, it's not anaerobic. Anaerobic is when it doesn't involve breathing, like sprinting. Also, anaerobic exercise will burn almost no fat. To burn fat, you need long but slow exercise.

Old August 3, 2003, 15:03   #20
GePap
Emperor

I am attempting to slim down and imporve my general disposition, so I am on a new excercise regiment:

1 hour of aerobic excercise for now (20 min bike, 20 min rowing, 20 mins bike again) a day. At some point, I will cut back aerobic and start adding weights.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old August 3, 2003, 15:05   #21
Pekka
Emperor

Did I mean to say aerobic? I'm not even sure anymore .

Yes you need slow exercise, that's what rowing boat is.
And I meant to say, that it should go for 30-45 minuties with sprints. Say 500 meters slow and easy to catch your breath and recover and 500 meters HARD.
Yeah you're correct, I'm sorry I confused everyone .
and I can't even say it was the english, because it's the same word in finnsish too.. :diesinshame:
Old August 3, 2003, 15:08   #22
Pekka
Emperor

Oh and that sprinting thing doesn't necessarily make you lose more fat, but it's good work out.
Old August 3, 2003, 15:10   #23
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

last fall I did at least 20 minutes running 5 times a week

and did at least 1 hour or so of weights 3 times a week (bench, curl, shoulder, lats, and tris)

last winter and early spring I did .5 hours on a machine while keeping my heart rate up at 170 with one day of weights (similiar weights)

late spring and early sumer I did nothing

for about 3 weeks in summer I used the running machine (heart rate of 170) for .5 hours and weight lifted twice a week

my plan is to start using the running machines 5 times a week and to lift weights 3 days a week

I like running outside more, but it is too hot during the times of day that I am awak for that here in the summer

Jon Miller
Old August 3, 2003, 15:33   #24
Soul Survivor
Settler

I try to run 40 miles (~60 km) per week
Old August 3, 2003, 16:00   #25
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Turning that steering wheel, operating the clutch and changing gears can be bloody hard work

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old August 3, 2003, 17:57   #26
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I find that thinking about all those other people exrecising so hard makes me sweat and lose weight. Frequently it is so demanding that I have to go to the fridge for another beer.

Seriously, I am not exercising at the moment but will have to start again soon before my beer gut becomes noticeable. After a stretching and warm up session I do 40-50 sit ups and then some pull ups and that keeps my muscle tone in pretty good shape. I also do a tai chi routine every morning and still practice other martial arts exercises.

I'll be 42 in three weeks time so I am becoming more concerned about maintaining good exercise habits and keeping good mobility than building muscle.
Old August 3, 2003, 18:23   #27
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 01:51
Every other day or so:

Half an hour on the standing-bike machine - I have no idea what it's called (burning ~900-1000 calories/hour).
Half an hour doing bench presses (with breaks in between sets).
Half an hour using free weights (ditto).
Half an hour doing sit-ups (ditto).

I haven't been able to work out lately since my school gym cut off my membership because I'm not attending any classes this summer.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old August 3, 2003, 18:40   #28
lightblue
Warlord

Average week at the moment:

6*2hrs of rowing, mostly hard aerobic (85-90% max BPM)
Races during the weekend, mostly semi sprint stuff (500-1000 metres)
Core stability stuff 6* a week (3 sets of 100 situps (normal, oblique and crunchies)), 3 sets of 50 backraises).

When the gym isn't locked (ie during term time):

4*2hrs rowing on the water
2*1hrs on the ergs (flywheel rowing machine) keeping bpm at 70%
3*20 mins with BPM at 90-95% on the ergs
2* leg strength work (leg press, leg extension, leg curl, squats), 3 sets of ten
2* upperbody weights (bench press, chest press, pull ups, seated row)
1 circuit session with low weights and body weight exercises. 1 minute on, 15 seconds off and 4 circuits of ten exercises.
Same core stability stuff

And I cycle everywhere, but Cambridge ain't big so it don't really count.

And I wouldn't advise anyone taking on this much exercse without slowly building up
It’s a great art, is rowing. It’s the finest art there is. It’s a symphony of motion. And when you reach perfection, you are touching the divine. It touches the you of yous – which is your soul. George Pocock
What fun is that? Why all that hard, exhausting work? Where does it get you? What is the good of it? It is one of the strange ironies of life that those who work the hardest, who subject themselves to the strictest discipline, who give up certain pleasurable things in order to achieve a goal, are the happiest. Brutus Hamilton
Old August 3, 2003, 19:07   #29
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Lightblue has a big back and big deltoids.

Mis Novias
Old August 3, 2003, 19:11   #30
*End Is Forever*
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Is he a true player like Boddington's Ted?