Old August 3, 2003, 19:29   #31
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 06:51
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by BeBro
What actual xcom game? Is the a new xcom?

I thought Firaxis (?) makes a new Pirates gmae instead....
Not a new one, the original.

Do It Ourselves
Old August 4, 2003, 11:06   #32
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 14:51
[On topic]
Hoist the pirate flag, matey! I suspect a lot of people download music just to lash back at the RIAA (or your local equivalent). This is a new form of civil disobedience.

[Off topic]
I thought the mod was for the actual UFO game too
Old August 4, 2003, 11:19   #33
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 07:51
On topic

I came across this BBC article today.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3117505.stm

"Last month, the association began suing hundreds of its customers. For the RIAA - which represents the major US recording companies - this makes perfect sense.

According to the RIAA, CD sales dropped by 10% in 2001 and a further 6.8% last year, largely because of file sharing.

But the figures tell a different story.

In just three years, sales of pirate CDs have more than doubled, according to the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI).

Every third CD sold is a pirate copy, says the federation.

In some countries it is hard to find legitimately produced CDs. Ninety percent of CDs in China, for instance, are pirate copies.

For Mark Mulligan, an analyst with Jupiter Research, the music is weathering a hangover after the 80s and 90s boom, when everyone was buying CD versions of their old vinyl records.

"Now the CD replacement cycle has drawn to a close," he says.

Also the global decline in CD sales is taking place against the background of a general economic recession that is depressing sales of almost everything.

The music industry cannot hope to sue everyone using file sharing to find music as that would take hundreds of years and already the US legal system is complaining about the work the RIAA is heaping upon it.

There is no doubt that some piracy is going on via peer-to-peer systems but maybe not to the extent the RIAA fears. Perhaps it is about time they sang a different song."

If this article is correct the RIAA are a bunch of incompetent ass***** who are going after file sharers to draw attention away from the piracy problem they can't or won't deal with.
Old August 4, 2003, 13:18   #34
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 23:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The industry has been putting out fewer and fewer records each year and more and more of the records they do put out are crappy junk like the Backstreet boys or someother juviniel band. Most people over the age of 15 won't bother to buy that garbage and that is why there sales are down (at least in the US).

I seriously doubt the downloading of MP3s is as big a factor in the declining sales of CDs as the RIAA would have us believe. Most of the decline in sales is occuring overseas but most of the MP3 downloads are occuring in the US so I'm smelling something rotten in the RIAA's version of events.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old August 4, 2003, 13:37   #35
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

Local Time: 02:51
the internet has resulted in a gradual decline in sales of bootlegged albums... dj mix cds however are more popular than ever (mainly because they can be bought on the street weeks before you can get them on the internet and even then, except for major djs like Clue or Kay Slay, you won't be able to find mixtape songs on the internet)
Old August 4, 2003, 13:41   #36
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

and no... i definently do not want this world wide cheap downloading system mainly because it would be impractical for all the people with 56K modems. it takes about 6-10 hours to download a full cd with a 56K.

what i want is a lower price on cds (8-10 dollars is a good price and might make it so that more and more people buy cds and the record companies end up making more money than with their 16 dollar cds) or do what Dr Dre's label is doing with the bonus dvds and all that that come with buying an Eminem or a 50 cent cd
Old August 4, 2003, 13:45   #37
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 23:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
As long as I can get music without paying $15 per CD I'm going to do it. The artists can make plenty of money touring and through merchandizing so I don't feel even the slightest tinge of remorse for downloading music.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old August 4, 2003, 13:50   #38
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

Oerdin:

not even for your favourite entertainers? i do buy cds legit of my favourite rappers... but i buy bootlegs or download cds of other people who i want to hear but don't really like that much.

and what about your favourite entertainer who goes 'wood'? you know, only gets a few thousand cds sales?
Old August 4, 2003, 14:38   #39
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 00:51
The RIAA's problem is that it is, apparently if their profits are decreasing, the most incompetent organisation in the world. Think about it. It costs about 10 to 50 cents a CD to mass produce it. You can create CD-quality music with several thousand dollars of equipment. Royalties to artists are pathetic enough as it is. And they still can't make a profit when they're selling them for 18 friggin bucks a pop!?
Old August 4, 2003, 14:45   #40
C0ckney
King

Local Time: 07:51
Quote:
In some countries it is hard to find legitimately produced CDs. Ninety percent of CDs in China, for instance, are pirate copies.
yeah but to be fair, what exactly in china isn't a bootleg :/

i buy CDs (lots in fact), but i download a lot of stuff as well. i can't afford to pay as much as 17 pounds for every new CD i want to get. also if i want a certain mix of a song, then i will download it, because there is no other way of getting it.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old August 4, 2003, 15:28   #41
Jeltz
Settler

Local Time: 08:51
Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld

oh, pah. I thought you meant a mod for the actual X-Com game. Who cares about Civ3
Then have you seen Project Xenocide?

It still looks far from finished. Actually it's going to be more a remake than a mod. I'm not personally involved in the project in any way.

edit: but not officially a remake because they don't own the rights to the original game.