Old August 5, 2003, 03:52   #31
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 23:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
ya know, some people actually do committ suicide because of d&d, maybe they are onto something
Old August 5, 2003, 04:04   #32
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 00:53
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Vesayen

Dont sink to their level, you have NO reason to compromise, there is NOTHING wrong with DnD.

It can be "used in the wrong way" to be about as dangerous as a pencil, to stab someone in the eye. DnD has never been the primary cause of any psychotic act.
no, I stand by it

just like I think that some people shouldn't read sci-fi fantasy

and some people shouldn't read fiction

and some people shouldn't watch tv

and some people shouldn't surf the internet

Jon Miller
Old August 5, 2003, 04:06   #33
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 14:53
This is all utter nonsense perpetrated by the makers of Tunnels and Trolls, in the hopes of making a comeback.

Seriously though, a few players do get a little depressed over the loss of a particularly popular character but then the same thing can happen if one drops the opening bat who goes on to make a tun, or if one runs the other player out in the last over with only one needed to win, or ...
Erm, enough about me ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
And a shortbow that is more dangerous to himself than to the enemy he aims it at.
If you ever start playing sci-fi rpg's I'd stay away from grenade launchers if I were you.
Old August 5, 2003, 04:25   #34
Koyaanisqatsi
King

Local Time: 02:53
Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
ya know, some people actually do committ suicide because of d&d, maybe they are onto something
I can pretty much guarantee you that nobody in the history of humanity has committed suicide over D&D. They have have had other problems, which eventually led to them acting out in some way that was connected to D&D, but other than that....no, sorry.

Actually, a kid in my class committed suicide in 8th grade and it was blamed on D&D. Not that he actually played it much, he just liked the little figurines. But the stupidity involved was great enough that the local pentacostal church lobbied for permission to go through the school libraries and the art teacher was forced to quit (she liked Georgia O'Keefe and had a cow skull on her desk, you see, obviously a sign of the occult...) They also banned The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth, which were both shown to the 8th grade classes every year (along with many other movies...apparently, Jim Henson was just too demonic for them.) My mother actually went to a town meeting about it, and when she suggested that children be allowed to be creative and think for themselves, she was almost attacked by the rest of the crowd. The attitude eventually drove off the two best teachers in the school system, too. Sorry if I sound bitter, I'm just not a fan of witch hunts.

Oh yeah, and the kid killed himself because he was abused, depressed, and had found another kid to make a suicide pact with so he didn't think he was going it alone. The abuse nobody knew about, the depression anybody who talked to him knew about, and the other kid didn't say a word until after the fact. But, apparently, it was all the fault of those damn little pewter figurines...
Old August 5, 2003, 06:43   #35
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 15:53
Cheers Vesayen, it was "The Bull" and here's the offending frame (I also like the one where he's threatening the chaplain for not telling him he was going to hell).

Actually, do you notice how the black guy seems to be the only one disappointed at the sodomy ban.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	picture 1.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	50941  
Old August 5, 2003, 10:32   #36
MattH
King

Local Time: 06:53
Quote:
Yeah, and if people commit suicide because of marriage, maybe they're onto something. And maybe if people commit suicide because of religion, they're onto something. And maybe if people commit suicide because of.... blah blah.
Old August 6, 2003, 01:09   #37
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 14:53
Quote:
Lets not start pointing fingers. Remember history, yes?
Old August 6, 2003, 01:34   #38
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

which history are you referring too?

and of course I don't believe d & d is to blame. I'm a big free speech advocate.

but d & d might be harmful to unstable people.
Old August 6, 2003, 09:38   #39
MattH
King

Local Time: 06:53
Eating may be harmful to unstable people....

What hurts them and us more than DnD is the govt. closing the institutions... the people out on the street
Old August 6, 2003, 09:48   #40
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

I concur MattH.
Old August 6, 2003, 16:05   #41
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 00:53
Quote:
but d & d might be harmful to unstable people.
Isn't living harmful to unstable people too? How is a person "unstable", anyways? To you it might be a genuine nut, but to a person of bias it's usually anyone who is not just like them.
Old August 7, 2003, 08:44   #42
Proteus_MST
King

Local Time: 08:53
I think it has the same Risk to unstable peoples as watching TV or playing Computergames.

I think oit could be possible for some people to get caried away by it and mixing fantasy with reality too much.
Thinking of one guy here in Geramny who beheaded a neighbour with his Katana, because he obviously believed, that he was some Kind of Highlander

So I think there is a small Chance that RPGs could be harmful, but probably it is very small (thinking about 1-2 % of the Population for which playing RPGs could be a risk ).