Old August 4, 2003, 16:29   #1
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 00:54
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Feudal $MiniGame DemoGame Start Thread
Attempt to start a thread Number Four in GhengisFarb's ongoing struggle to get the game started.

If we can decide on the settings to start we can play a turnchat beginning to get up to where we have say three cities and can hold our first land auction. Then we can test the scripts out and once everything is working go on from there.

What difficulty and game settings should we use?

GOVERNMENT AND TURN PLAY
The following governmental positions:
Chancellor - Plays the game turn and executes the orders for units, settings, and such relayed to him.

Vice Chancellor - Assists the Chancellor and assumes the duties of the Chancellor in the Chancellor's absence.

High Minister - Responsible for negotiations and diplomacy with other civilizations. Makes decisions on the science and luxury rate. Decides what advance we research.

High General - Responsible for the military readiness and battle plans of the empire.
Old August 4, 2003, 16:45   #2
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

I would say no higher than monarch for the...unique...difficulties we will be causing ourselves.

Standard size, 8 opponents will give us enough land to get some cities out in a 'traditional' fashion.

Wet (yes, GF has converted me to a 'wet' climate fan...)
Random all else

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old August 4, 2003, 17:17   #3
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

We don't need it too easy, do we? What about 16 civs, the game starts losing some if its elements as the civ number drops.

Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
Wet (yes, GF has converted me to a 'wet' climate fan...)
Random all else
Woo Hoo! Free Aquaducts for everyone!
Old August 4, 2003, 17:26   #4
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Will we auction the captured cities then?

I was under the impression that if my troops captured a city, it would be mine...

Just wanting to make sure enough cities to go around

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old August 4, 2003, 17:33   #5
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 02:54
For the focus of this game, I don't see how sixteen civs are better than eight.

I like Unorthodox's settings.
Old August 4, 2003, 17:46   #6
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

If we only have 8 civs it ain't going to take long before the individuals wipe em out and the game ends. I figure Uber Krux will take out at least four when we aren't looking.
Old August 4, 2003, 19:45   #7
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

why not a compromise... 12 sounds fine.

If we get 16 on a standard map I think it will be too tight (also worse for diplomace ie mapwhoring)
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old August 4, 2003, 20:42   #8
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

What's wrong with a Large map?

Yes compromise is fine, I meant to say 24 civs, yeah silly typo, 24.
Old August 4, 2003, 21:32   #9
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

takes too long, thats whats wrong with it.

Do you really want to go through mapwhoring 24 civs? :/
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old August 4, 2003, 21:43   #10
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

Local Time: 01:54
I like 12 on a large map. Monarch or Emperor difficulty. Preferably lots of land, continent or Pangaea, since land will be important to the entire basis of this game.

Everything else, I really have no preferences about.
Old August 5, 2003, 00:52   #11
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 06:54
I, like my friends GF and Unorthodox, prefer a "wet" setting. And I think for a game like this, Monarch, wet, all random, huge (I LOVE big maps!!!!) with as many civs as we can squeeze onto the thing (yes, I have a pretty nice computer that can handle it... to a degree).

My difficulty comes from the fact that we are working on a "test" game here. In this "test" game, I think we should mod it to give each civ 3 settlers right away and start off instantly with settling and selling off land. keep the game short and work out all the bugs before we go to a larger scale.
Old August 5, 2003, 01:01   #12
Octavian X
Civilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HivePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy GameACDG3 GaiansC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

I'd prefer 8 civs standard. Something my computer might actually be able to run. :/
Old August 5, 2003, 07:37   #13
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

I could see us doing a test run with 8 civs on a standard map an 3 settlers to get the bugs worked out.
Old August 5, 2003, 08:38   #14
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 06:54
Old August 5, 2003, 08:50   #15
Epistax
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

I've been having trouble trying to admin uber's server, so don't expect anything automated for a while.

Yes I still exist.
Old August 5, 2003, 12:47   #16
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

I hope we can get something automation wise to work. What's the name of the software which runs the database/computation?
Old August 5, 2003, 13:12   #17
Epistax
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

apache web server
php script (does all the work)
mysql server (stores the stuff)

I'd continue working on the script and stuff anyways, but I'm playing a game right now

I'll work some more later, and I'm hoping Uber gets things up. It's kind of a downer not to be able to put the stuff I'm working on online.
Old August 5, 2003, 20:16   #18
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Still trying to tie religious structure into this at the appropriate times.

Current idea:
Once we attain Mysticism each city has one Priest (size 6 or less) or one High Priest (size 7+). To be eligible to hold this postion the player cannot own any land tiles. Each Priest/HighPriest has the number of votes equal to the population of his city (the Priest of a size 4 city would have 4 votes). They can cast these votes in Mayor and other Political elections where the Nobles would cast their per tile votes.

On the attaining of Monotheism the structure changes to:
Priest (Parish) City size 1-6
Bishop (Diocese) City size 7-12
ArchBishop (ArchDiocese) City size 12+
Cardinal - Cardinals are elected by a majority vote of all Bishops and ArchBishops with each one having a single vote per Diocese/ArchDiocese. Cardinal Positions are permanent and predominantly ceremonial.
Old August 5, 2003, 22:56   #19
Tassadar500
Emperor

Local Time: 23:54
Local Date: November 1, 2010
GF I have but one question.. What do these positions mean?
Old August 5, 2003, 23:05   #20
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Which ones?
Old August 5, 2003, 23:20   #21
Tassadar500
Emperor

The Priest, Bishop and Cardinal.
Old August 5, 2003, 23:33   #22
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

I'm still unsure about your question, I thought I explained their definition in the post where I mentioned them.
Old August 6, 2003, 00:09   #23
Tassadar500
Emperor

Didnt really explain the idea of a Cardinal. Is it only ceremonial?
Old August 6, 2003, 03:10   #24
Octavian X
Civilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HivePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy GameACDG3 GaiansC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

We'd need a pope as well...
Old August 6, 2003, 08:41   #25
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

I was thinking Popes would be elected by the Cardinals and have the authority to appoint Priest, Bishop, and ArchBishop positions. If their were new different Popes (two rival churches) then the lords with tiles in a city's radius would vote on which religion was over their city.

To become a Cardinal one would have to be either a Bishop or ArchBishop, then you would have to be nominated. Each existing Bishop and ArchBishop gets one vote and you would have to be approved by a majority vote.

I suppose we could say Cardinal's are allowed to own land and any Pope would have to be a Cardinal. Then we could have the church establishing various church states and each one being under the authority of a Cardinal.
Old August 6, 2003, 15:22   #26
Octavian X
King

Considering that, I would wait to define a church hierarchy. We'll see what happens when the game starts, and let people form/join their own religions and create their own rules.

Hey! There's something for the house of Lords to do. They can chose to recognize on religion as the State Church, an give bonuses to that Church's clergy.
Old August 6, 2003, 20:38   #27
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

I would rather get the rules down now that have to hold up the game while a bunch a people argue about a fair set of rules later.
Old August 6, 2003, 22:02   #28
Octavian X
King

Call me weird, but I always prefered argument over rules instead of mandane game stuff.
Old August 6, 2003, 22:28   #29
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Until you can't play the game anymore because of a two week debate over the phrasing of one word.
Old August 7, 2003, 00:50   #30
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

I'm liking all of these religion structure ideas.

My one suggestion for now is to try and keep the game's structure fairly simple... well, at least don't make the system too complicated. That way, it won't make newer players shade away from it. Also, simpler now = less problems later.