Old August 5, 2003, 10:27   #1
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 02:55
Local Date: November 2, 2010
is 256k enough RAM for current games?
Browsing some websites like Gateway, it looks like the current "sweet spot" for new PC's is ones with 256meg RAM. While all I would definitely look for any new PC to be easily upgradeable, I would like to know if this works for current games.

Games i would want - EU2, The Sims, Medieval-Total War. Possibly - Civ3, Simcity4, RON, Combat Mission, HOI.

Current trends in RAM requirements? Likely trends in upcoming games (especially in these genres)?

Any thoughts?

Last edited by lord of the mark; August 5, 2003 at 10:42.
Old August 5, 2003, 10:36   #2
Paul Hanson
King

Local Time: 07:55
Assuming you actually mean 256M of RAM , then you should be able to play all the games you want with that much, provided the computer itself is powerful enough. However, since RAM is so cheap nowadays it probably wouldn't hurt to get at least 512M.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.
Old August 5, 2003, 10:43   #3
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Hanson
Assuming you actually mean 256M of RAM , then you should be able to play all the games you want with that much, provided the computer itself is powerful enough. However, since RAM is so cheap nowadays it probably wouldn't hurt to get at least 512M.
oops, edited to 256 meg of ram.

Thanks.
Old August 5, 2003, 10:58   #4
MattH
King

Local Time: 06:55
What OS do you have?

For Sim City 4, 512 is a MINIMUM with XP. It depends on what board you have, but general (low quality) DDR 2100 256MB sticks are about $25 on newegg.com.
Old August 5, 2003, 11:00   #5
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Hanson

Dell indicates $100 US as difference between 256 meg and 512 meg ram. Since im looking for a budget buy anyway, im not inclined to spend that if im not going to need it anytime soon, assuming it will be easy to upgrade later.

Browsing on Moby indicates all the games i mentioned require 128 MB or less. Only a few of the most recent releases seem to require 256MB, none of which im interested in.

Thoughts on future trends?
Old August 5, 2003, 11:03   #6
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by MattH
What OS do you have?

For Sim City 4, 512 is a MINIMUM with XP. It depends on what board you have, but general (low quality) DDR 2100 256MB sticks are about $25 on newegg.com.

This would be for a new PC, so it would probably be XP.
One option would be to get it with 256MB and not upgrade till im ready to buy SImcity4. I would have plenty of gameplay till then, and by then both Simcity4 and RAM will likely have declined in price.
Old August 5, 2003, 12:32   #7
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 08:55
Well, I really suggest you DO NOT buy a PC with "only" 256 MB RAM. Buy AT LEAST 512 MB.
Old August 5, 2003, 13:07   #8
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

I agree. Several of trhe games you mention in your original post, however, don't require soo much; HoI, EU2, Civ3 and The Sims at least, but for the others you'll like more. It's also good to think for the [near] future.
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old August 5, 2003, 13:09   #9
da_hal
Warlord

don't buy from dell. check out:
www.pricewatch.com.

compusa is a ripoff too, about 3X street price.

dell is so overpriced it's silly.
Old August 5, 2003, 13:15   #10
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

since ram is cheap and if your comp supports it , get at least one gig of ram

have a nice day
Old August 5, 2003, 13:21   #11
Nikolai
Deity

panag, panag... Always so helpful... It's not everybody that has the finances to buy 1 GB of RAM, no matter how cheap it is, relatively speaking. But if you do have the finances lord, then you could try. But I doubt you'll need more than 512 MB for some time.
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Old August 5, 2003, 13:26   #12
lord of the mark
Deity

so 512MB is needed for Simcity4, probably for RON, and probably for future games.

1 gig is for the kinds of games i dont play anyway, and for future games.

And look for a better deal than Dell (will have to convince the queen of the mark if im going to get something that isnt a namebrand)

Whether i get 256 or 512 make sure its easily upgradeable to 1 gig. And in that case hope RAM prices dont go up (it always seems that RAM is "cheaper than ever" does it ever go up in price?)
Old August 5, 2003, 13:53   #13
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 01:55
Remember when it was easy to find RAM for free? That was so cool.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old August 5, 2003, 14:25   #14
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

256MB is OK right now ... but within a year will start to become obsolete really fast.

1gig is unnecessary at the moment considering the games you like to play, so I think you should go with 512MB.
Old August 5, 2003, 14:30   #15
MattH
King

Buy the computer from where ever, but at the same time buy extra ram from the lowest bidder at pricegrabber.com (legit, reputable site). If you don't know what type to get, just ask when you phone in your order.
Old August 5, 2003, 14:40   #16
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
256MB is OK right now ... but within a year will start to become obsolete really fast.

1gig is unnecessary at the moment considering the games you like to play, so I think you should go with 512MB.
My buying style is generally not to but the latest games off the shelf, but to buy older games at discount, from bargain bins, used, etc. Now to some extent that was simply because i didnt really get into gaming at all till a couple of years after we bought our relatively low end computer. But I've come to like it anyway - A. I dont buy it till its been thoroughly reviewed and discussed here and elsewhere, so im not likely to but a lemon. B. The games i buy are completely patched. C. Theyre a lot cheaper. Im only now hitting the point where my 5 year old computer is seriously constraining my game purchases. (and even at that are several games im interested in that would run on my ancient machine) The games that are pushing me to new hardware are NOT current games - they're games from 1 or 2 years ago - mainly EU2 and The sims, and to a lesser extent Total war. So in a year im probably not going to be 2004 games - im going to be buying RON and Simcity4, when theyre discounted. So i could buy 256MB now, and then wait, and maybe go ahead in a year and upgrade to either 512MB or 1 gig, depending.

(of course if i wait another couple months to buy a pc, i may well find 512MB machines selling for much less)
Old August 5, 2003, 15:34   #17
Nikolai
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by lord of the mark
(it always seems that RAM is "cheaper than ever" does it ever go up in price?)
It has gone up and down for the last months, but recently most up. It's way cheaper than it was before though.
Old August 5, 2003, 16:47   #18
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 01:55
256 is adaquate, but I'd recommend 512, tomorrow's games are just around the corner.
Old August 5, 2003, 16:55   #19
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 23:55
Local Date: November 1, 2010
my brother has like 1 gig.

you pretty much need it for all the new MMOLRPG's out there. He is playing Star Wars Galaxies right now. And soon will be playing Everquest 2. I will probably play everquest2 as well.

If you go to areas with many characters (and they all have custom clothing, looks, and such), your computer will get bogged down.
Old August 5, 2003, 17:08   #20
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
my brother has like 1 gig.

you pretty much need it for all the new MMOLRPG's out there. He is playing Star Wars Galaxies right now. And soon will be playing Everquest 2. I will probably play everquest2 as well.

If you go to areas with many characters (and they all have custom clothing, looks, and such), your computer will get bogged down.
sounds like a good reason NOT to get 1 gig
Old August 5, 2003, 18:38   #21
reds4ever
Prince

Quote:
so 512MB is needed for Simcity4, probably for RON, and probably for future games.
RON runs fine on my 256 pooter
Old August 5, 2003, 23:21   #22
LotC
BtS Tri-League
Prince

Quote:
And look for a better deal than Dell (will have to convince the queen of the mark if im going to get something that isnt a namebrand)
Well, Dell isn't really a name brand. They actually only assemble parts into complete computers; in fact they manufacture absoulutely no parts of their own. The only thing Dell, Gateway, et al really sell is the service of gathering the parts and building the PC (usually in godawfully cramped and hard-to-take-apart cases).

As far as the quality of the parts, I think you would be unpleasantly surprised to see that a lot of them are lower grade. Pop open you case and check out the power rating on your power supply. Less than 300W? No name brand? Probably.

If you want good name brand RAM, i suggest Hyundai, Corsair, or Micron.

If you want a good next computer, I suggest getting all of the parts yourself and spending a few hours putting it all together. It's actually easier than it seems, and you will get to know your computer much better than if you buy a pre-packaged one from Dell. You will also save a hell of a lot of money (did I mention that the OEM manufacturers mark up their prices ridiculously?).
Old August 6, 2003, 00:25   #23
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 14:55
512MB RAM for games? Sheesh are they getting bloated or what?
Old August 6, 2003, 00:57   #24
Victor Galis
Emperor

In response to the original question: Can you ever truly have enough RAM?
Old August 6, 2003, 02:27   #25
LotC
BtS Tri-League
Prince

Victor:

I don't think so. You know what I'd like to do? Have enough RAM (1.5 GB should be enough) to be able to load an entire game onto a software RAMdisk so that everything in the game is stored and accessed from memory instead of the hard drive.

Of course, you would lose the game when you powered off, but you could probably make an image of the game and mount it in the RAMdisk whenever you wanted to play. Now THAT would be fast.
Old August 6, 2003, 04:25   #26
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 14:55
Quote:
Originally posted by Victor Galis
In response to the original question: Can you ever truly have enough RAM?
Sure. After awhile, having more RAM just reduces the chance of page swapping.
Old August 6, 2003, 07:13   #27
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

I have had 512MB for a year or so now. I usually try and keep ahead of the 'standard' amount so I'll probably chuck in some more when I get around to it. RAM isn't that dear, and the performance increase is noticeable until you get up to silly amounts of RAM.
Old August 6, 2003, 07:58   #28
Grumbold
Emperor

If you get a new machine with less than 512Mb RAM, make sure it has enough free slots to allow you to plug more in when you want to. I couldn't believe it when I discovered a PC I was planning to buy only had 2 slots.
Old August 6, 2003, 09:42   #29
MattH
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
512MB RAM for games? Sheesh are they getting bloated or what?
That may be the case, but compare RON to AoE I and II, or the rainbow 6's, or even Civ II to Civ III in complexity of rules, graphics, and AI... I think it's warranted.
Old August 6, 2003, 10:12   #30
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Grumbold
If you get a new machine with less than 512Mb RAM, make sure it has enough free slots to allow you to plug more in when you want to. I couldn't believe it when I discovered a PC I was planning to buy only had 2 slots.
yeah ive definitely figured that out. most of what im seeing on the market is upgradeable to either 1 gig or 2 gig, which should be enough for quite a while.