Old August 7, 2003, 18:55   #61
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 00:56
Local Date: November 2, 2010
dejon your languages and all are right

did you get your free bonus equipment though (am I right that you pick A, B, or C?)

Jon Miller
Old August 7, 2003, 19:08   #62
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

felch should have regional language of Chondathan and probably didn't do his regional equipment

Jon Miller
Old August 7, 2003, 19:12   #63
Hot Mustard
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty Python
King

Local Time: 02:56
Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Miller
dejon your languages and all are right

did you get your free bonus equipment though (am I right that you pick A, B, or C?)

Jon Miller
I skipped the regional equipment when I originally made him - I believe Victor (who was going to run the original game) had said to skip it, as he didn't want to check them all.

I'll take a look at it.
Old August 7, 2003, 19:20   #64
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

well, with this number I am fine with it

regional equpiment from waterdeep (only get if I say so) is
(A) M longsword rapier or shortsword
(B) any two 2nd level scrolls
(C) 300 gp

regional equipment for shield dwarves (which Harry can choose (or another region which I can give as a list))
(A) M warhammer or dwarven waraxe
(B) Breastplate and potion of cure light wounds

if Harry chooses Shield Dwarf as his region, than his racial/regional language is dwarven and he can pick one of the above for bonus equpiment

Jon Miller
Old August 7, 2003, 19:51   #65
Hot Mustard
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty Python
King

Silverymoon options:

(A) Longsword, rapier, or longbow
(B) Chainshirt
(C) Studded leather armor and 2nd-level Scroll

As you can see, none of this is useful to a sorceror, so I'm just going to go with C and sell it (50% cost).

Studded leather armor, masterwork is 175gp/2=87gp, 5sp
2nd-level scroll is 150gp/2=75gp

for a total of 162gp, 5sp

Now I have to figure out what to buy with the excess.
Old August 7, 2003, 19:54   #66
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

actually do you get Halfling as a language?

I thought you either chose to count your race as your region (so you would get halfling stuff) or your region as your region (so you would get silverymoon stuff) not both

in which case you would not get Halfling as a language

Jon Miller
Old August 7, 2003, 22:10   #67
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

Local Time: 06:56
I'll take Shield Dwarf as my region and the dwarven waraxe. What're the stats for that?
Old August 7, 2003, 22:33   #68
Hot Mustard
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Harry Seldon
I'll take Shield Dwarf as my region and the dwarven waraxe. What're the stats for that?
Dwarven Waraxe - 1d10, x3, 15lbs - you'll have to use it two-handed, and don't forget to multiply add 1.5 times your strength modifier to damage.
Old August 7, 2003, 22:39   #69
Harry Seldon
King

So I throw a ten, then it's 10 + (1.5*4) = 16d?
Old August 7, 2003, 22:53   #70
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 17:56
1d10 + (your STR modifier * 1.5)
Your STR modifier is +4, so it would now be +6 for this weapon.

So your damage is 1d10 + 6. Maximum damage would be 16, minimum would be 7.
Old August 7, 2003, 22:54   #71
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 14:56
Quote:
I have one in PDF
That means I can't use it eletronically.
Old August 7, 2003, 23:27   #72
Hot Mustard
King

Quote:
actually do you get Halfling as a language?

I thought you either chose to count your race as your region (so you would get halfling stuff) or your region as your region (so you would get silverymoon stuff) not both

in which case you would not get Halfling as a language

Jon Miller
I understand your confusion, in fact, now I'm confused as well. I know that non-humans must choose between race and actual region for their home region, which determines available bonus languages, feats and equipment.

However, I'm not sure that it means a character does not have the normal automatic languages for their race. In the FRCS, the Lightfoot Halfling section says that "Automatic Languages: Common, Halfling, home region.", which could be taken that the (automatic) regional languages are in addition to the ones for the race. However, I can see how one could interpret this differently.

I checked the FCRS FAQ and Errata, but neither touches on the topic.

Unless anyone knows for sure one way or the other, this seems like an issue that will be DM's ruling.

I like my poorly written backstory from Silverymoon, so I'd like to keep it as my home region. However, if I switch to Lightfoot Halfling (with the two less languages) there's at least an item in the bonus equipment I can actually use (light crossbow).
Old August 8, 2003, 00:37   #73
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

if they got it for their race, why would anyone ever choose to have their 'home region' be racial?

Jon Miller
Old August 8, 2003, 01:29   #74
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 01:56
Here's my character, mostly finished -- I need help with a native language, and a place of origin. Please look over the background I wrote and make some suggestions -- I'm willing to change appearance to make it fit.

Also...let me know if anything's out of place or missing, thanks.

“Morganna”
Calimshani Human Female Rogue (future psychotic mage chick )
Chaotic Neutral
17 years 8 months
5 foot 6 inches 120lbs
Level 1

Str: 14 +2 melee, +2 damage
Dex: 14 +2 missile, +2 AC, +4 reflex save
Con: 14 8 hp, +8 per level, +2 fort save
Int: 16 48 skill points, +12 per level
Wis: 8 –1 will save
Cha: 12

Skill.........................Ranks...Cost...Modif ier
Bluff............................4........4....... .+5
Decipher Script ............4........4.........+7
Disable Device..............4........4.........+9 (includes M thieves' tools)
Disguise.......................1........1......... +2
Escape Artist................4........4.........+6
Hide............................2........2........ +4
Innuendo......................1........1........0
Intimidate....................0........0........+3 (Thug feat)
Knowledge (Arcana).......1........2........+4
Open Lock....................4........4........+8 (includes M thieves' tools)
Pick Pocket...................1........1........+3
Read Lips......................4........4........+7
Search..........................4........4........ +7
Sense Motive.................4........4........+3
Spellcraft......................1........2........ +4
Spot.............................1........1....... .0
Tumble.........................1........1........+ 3
Use Magic Device...........4........4........+5
Use Rope......................1........1........+3

Total Cost 48

Feats:
Combat Reflexes
Thug

Languages: Common, Alzhedo, Ignan, Draconic.

Carry Capacity: 58/116/175

Equipment:

Well-made traveler’s outfit
Well-worn bronzewood quarterstaff (attack +2, damage 1d6+3)
2 silver daggers (attack +2, damage 1d4+2; same if thrown)
Masterwork Studded Leather armor
Thieves Tools, Master Work
Backpack
Signet ring (on cord around neck)
Old, thick book: “Cantrips for Beginners”
bedroll
flint & steel
2 belt pouches
2 sacks
waterskin
map case
1 oz ink in vial
2 inkpens
10 parchment sheets
3 days' trail rations
silk rope, 50'
hooded lantern
3 oil flasks
3 healing potions
38 gp, 7 sp.

Weight: 62.5

Speed: 30ft
Armour: 15
Initiative: +4 (dex & thug)

Distinguishing features: Moderately good looking. Dusky complexion, dark brown shoulder-length hair, dark brown eyes. “Aristocratic” bearing, rarely happy, never cheerful – though she can easily fake it if necessary.

Nicknames: “My name is Morganna.”

Quotes: "What did you say to me?"

Background: Born into a powerful, aristocratic mage clan, Morganna was always...different. Though having both an interest and a talent for magic, she never paid attention to her studies, always running away from her tutors and guards to roam the streets among the commoners. This was tolerated for a while, but by her teens she had gotten in trouble with the autorities and was becoming an embarrassment to the family. Threats and punishments, even beatings, didn't have lasting effect, so they took to locking her away -- but to no avail, as she escaped time and again.

They always brought her back, though, time and again, even though it was clear they had given up on her -- her father saw her as a disobedient, ungrateful wretch, her mother -- well her mother was far too involved in her own studies, and the studies of her more successful children, to care one way or the other. The magic training had stopped, though she continued on her own, in her own way.

This last time, she had managed to take some money with her -- enough to bribe a wizard in town to teleport her someplace far, far away, and still have enough left to live on, for a while.

Thus, she came to Waterdeep.

Of her old life, she bears nothing but a family signet ring, and an old but very solid quarterstaff bearing some faded runes, which she took from a dusty corner in the family armory.

Does her family know where she's gone? Do they care? Probably not. That's all right, because she can survive on her own, thrive on her own, and become a great wizard on her own.

Then she'll show them...she'll show them all.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.

Last edited by The Mad Monk; August 13, 2003 at 05:08.
Old August 8, 2003, 02:37   #75
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

might try areas which are wizardly, like Silverymoon, Halruaa, Lantan ( ), Sembia, Chessenta, Vilhon Reach, Impiltur and Tethyr (but other areas can work well to, including the pirate isles with their wiazrd towers)

actually, Calimshan looks interesting, but different

- is obsessed with wealth and unimpressed with magic, everyone is familiar with displays of magic and so see it as just another skill, blood of the efreet runs in some calishites (they hate genies now), renown for it shauveinism, exotic markets, thieves' guilds, harems, and wealthy ruling class (and a many people and slaves), lots of backstabing and deception goes on (al is LN, N, NE), arcane magic is very common but evocation magic is avoided (except for efreet-descended), planar magic, and teleportation prefering flying carpets, the underworld is the only area women are equal (and the underworld is important)
main language is Alzhedo (lots of others are allowed for bonus including draconic), feats include bloodline of fire, mind over body, street smart, and thug

Tethyr's main language is Chondathan, minors include Elven, Goblin, Illuskan, Lantanese, Shaaran, Sylvan
feats include blooded, foe hunter, luck of heroes, and mercantile background

actually, Halruaa is probably the most promising - it is a nation of wizards (decendants of refugees from Netheril), they persue magic with fanatical devotion and consider all other studies to be inferior, they are more interested in studying magic than exploring, they have exaggerated social courtesies, and spend more time with their studies than their families, all go to school until age 13 and screening for magic occurs at age 5, AL are LG, LN, NG

the main language is Halruaan and bonus possibilities include Dambrathan, Elven, Golben, Halfling, Shaaran, Tashalan
Feats are arcane schooling, courteous magocracy and magical training

Jon Miller
Old August 8, 2003, 03:20   #76
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Calishite looks very interesting, and the feats kinda match her envisioned personality -- and the skills I've already chosen.

Are we playing with bonus feats (I've heard the term before), or should I make substitutions?
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old August 8, 2003, 03:45   #77
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

you would need to make substitutions

possible bonus languages include Auran, Chondathan, Chultan, Draconic, Ignan, Shaaran, Tashalan

bonus equipment (which you canpick from) are
(A) Wand of magic missle (1st) 20 charges
(B) M studded leather armor and 3 potions of cure light wounds (1st)

bloodline of fire - decended from efreets, recieve +4 to saving throws versusfire, +2 to DC of sorcerer fire spells
mind over body - at first level use int lodifier for bonus hp, not con also whenever you take a metamagic feat, you get +1 hp
street smart - +2 bonus to bluff and gather information
thug - +2 to intiative and intimidate

Jon Miller
Old August 8, 2003, 05:10   #78
The Mad Monk
Emperor

"bonus" as in "free"?

Does that M stand for masterwork or magical?

Since she's not a wizard yet, option B looks good.

I'll trade dodge for thug, if I can take bloodline later (late bloomer), and trade elven for Ignan.
Old August 8, 2003, 08:51   #79
Hot Mustard
King

M is for masterwork.

Jon, I've edited Rags' languages as follows:

LANGUAGES:
* Automatic: Chondathan, Illuskan
* Bonus: Halfling, Elven

I'm still not sure that this is the way things work, but it's your call to make. And in case your tempted to say that Halfling is not listed as a bonus language for Silverymoon:

FRCS, page 9, "However, the following languages are always available as bonus languages to characters, regardless of race or region: Abyssal, .... , Halfling, .... ."

Incidentally, do you realize that this interpretation means that no one speaks Common? Since it is not listed as an automatic language for anything in Table 1-4.
Old August 8, 2003, 12:43   #80
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

I had a nice reply with quotes and everything

no, everyone who does not have undercommon as an automatic language automatically speaks common

also, you are the appropriate character so halfling is availiable to you

(read the automatic and regional sections of page 28)

Jon Miller
Old August 8, 2003, 12:55   #81
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Quote:
(I have a donkey)

Jon Miller
I'm tempted to put that in my sig, but I'm not sure why...
Old August 8, 2003, 13:02   #82
Hot Mustard
King

I missed that bit about Common on that page.

Anyways, I still have to think of a good use for that extra money. More CLW potions is just too boring, I'll search the DMG and see what else I can afford.
Old August 8, 2003, 15:02   #83
Hot Mustard
King

Okay, I want to buy the following in Waterdeep (with the funds from selling my regional equipment):
Another CLW potion - 50gp
Everburning Torch - 90gp, 1lb

Assuming this is okay, I've updated my possessions.
Old August 8, 2003, 15:10   #84
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

ok
Old August 8, 2003, 15:42   #85
Harry Seldon
King

Since this is the OOC thread, what do you think the chances are the Bandar reaches under his chair and finds:

Ring of Chameleon Power
As a free action, the wearer of this ring can gain the ability to magically blend in with the surroundings. This adds a +15 bonus to the wearer’s Hide checks. As a standard action, the wearer can also command the ring to utilize the spell change self as often as he or she wants.
Caster Level: 3rd; Prerequisites: Forge Ring, change self, invisibility; Market Price: 12,000 gp.
Old August 8, 2003, 15:49   #86
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

Jon Miller
Old August 8, 2003, 16:00   #87
Harry Seldon
King

Dang.
Old August 8, 2003, 19:41   #88
Felch
Civilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Quote:
felch should have regional language of Chondathan and probably didn't do his regional equipment

Jon Miller
Fair enough, I'll take two scrolls. I'm in California until Monday or Tuesday though, so it's tough for me to come up with anything specific, or to check my pdfs. I'll take any two scrolls that you come up with, assuming you've got rulebooks handy.

I'm not trying to be a pgamer so feel free to give me anything you think is underused but cool.
Old August 8, 2003, 19:57   #89
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

ok

force ladder and igedrazaar's miasma

JOn Miller
Old August 8, 2003, 20:11   #90
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

actually, change the miasma to cloud of bewilderment

Jon Miller