Old August 9, 2003, 01:17   #91
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 00:56
Local Date: November 2, 2010
mad monk, if you could add your ability scores to your skills

also, your native language is Alzhedo, you can't take abyssal as a language, and you really should take draconic if you are going to take qizard levels (and you don't have to wait until next level to do so like me)

Jon Miller
Old August 9, 2003, 15:08   #92
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 01:56
Okay, I'll do that tonight, since I don't have my PHB with me at the moment.

BTW, I don't have the same resources you do (with regard to bonuses, languages, and the like) -- can you link me to a few sites, so we can be on the same page?
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old August 9, 2003, 23:12   #93
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

it is the AD&D 3rd Ed - Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting and no, I don't know any web site

I gave you the list of bonus languages and your main language (As well as possible equipment)

you get that all (well, bonus languages chosen up to your Int modifier) because your class is a prefered class for that region

Jon Miller
Old August 10, 2003, 02:57   #94
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Changes made.

I don't know much about FR or Waterdeep -- I invested rather heavily in Greyhawk and Mystara -- which might just let me get into this character better. After all, she just teleported in from a great distance and probably knows little about the place, just like myself. She really is a stranger in a strange land.

BTW -- what's the weather and season?
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old August 10, 2003, 14:13   #95
Felch
Civilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 02:56
Maybe we should hold off on details like the weather and seasons until everybody feels comfortable with how this is being played. I for one apologize for not being available more often, since I'm visiting relatives in California and am often busy seeing different places around San Fransisco. I'll be back home tomorrow, and more able to participate though.

Also, unfortunately, I'm not totally clear on much of FG. I understand that Waterdeep is the biggest city around, and I played a bit of NWN and ID2, but I don't know much about the meat and potatoes of the world. I've got a couple pdfs at home that I'll look over when I get there though.

Other than that it all seems like a lot of fun, but I would suggest that people try to simplify the roleplaying thread at least until we figure out fully how we're going to be doing this, and until we can really sort out how this is going to work. In character speech is great, and little jokes are fine, but in online forums they make it difficult to follow along when we're playing for the first time as a group. I admit I'm not really as into stuff like tavern dialouge when I play with my friends, and I think I give that away in how I'm handling that thread. I personally prefer playing the game and getting down to brass tacks to acting out an improv play.

I don't know if there are any first-timers playing, but if there are they might feel more comfortable if the game rules were being used - some examples of skill checks and the like - before we get involved in anything rough. Rags casting mage hand was an excellent example of this, since it was a use of an in game sell to do something in the roleplaying.
Old August 10, 2003, 15:21   #96
Hot Mustard
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty Python
King

Flech - I know where you're coming from, and I agree that keeping things simple is a good idea. Obviously I don't know what Jon has planned for us, but I'm sure we'll get more into mechanics as we move along.

The beginning of any campaign is a little slow at first, as the characters try to figure out what is happening and how they'll approach it. Typically, 'roleplayers' (i.e. Those who really enjoy that aspect of the game.) use this slow time to setup their personality and how they'll interact with the other characters.

Obviously, Rags is a talker, potentially a chatterbox if you don't shut him up. (Feel free to shut him up, btw. ) I don't know if he'll turn into a 'showman', but for right now he is proud of his recently discovered abilities, and likes displaying them. He's also no dimwit, so if no one else speaks up, I'll have him ask the questions that should lead us in the right direction (hopefully).

I agree that people shouldn't feel its necessary to know Forgotten Realms (FR) in order to participate. Its fine to keep things in context for those that do know, but the knowledge shouldn't be required. Personally, if its not important to the moment, weather, season and dates can be excluded, IMHO.
Old August 10, 2003, 15:40   #97
Felch
Civilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

I don't mean to cramp on anybody's style of play, and it's great to see enthusiasm, it's just I'm trying to get my feet wet in online play, and trying to see where everything stands in this universe - personally I prefer to make my own worlds when I DM, as that allows me to adjust to what people I'm playing with like (if they like a certain kind of character or setting I can work that in without anybody complaining about how it doesn't fit into the setting). I usually only use ready made worlds as sources for ideas and inspiration. However, to be honest, I've never really given FG a fair try and am looking forward to it all. I hope to learn a lot from this game, and see how other people use role-playing to enhance the experience.

I'm just of the school of thought that it's more important to get into the game and show people how your role-play, than to sit in a tavern and tell people how you role-play.
Old August 10, 2003, 15:46   #98
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

hmm

yah, I did let yuo sit there for a while and by having Incana leave decided to force you to action

Jon Miller
Old August 11, 2003, 08:51   #99
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

Local Time: 06:56
I'm not usually available on weekends but I'll try to do better. I agree that we should get some of the basics down before we get too fancy. If we all game together well we can get more elaborate later. I'm itching for a fight, though. This is my first time to be a fighter. I have a modest intelligence and no charisma to speak of so this city skulking isn't holding much promise for me. I may just wander around and stay out of the way til we get some good action.
Old August 11, 2003, 09:22   #100
The Mad Monk
Emperor

I asked about weather and season because it has a direct impact on Morganna and Rags following Incana without being seen themselves. Fog would make it easier for them to follow unnoticed, but would require them to stay closer, so they don't lose her. Same goes with rain and snow, except if they do lose her, snow might make it easier to determine where she went, while rain would make it impossible. I plan to use my read lips ability if she chats with anyone, so visibility (and the lack threof) is very important.

So...how's the weather?
Old August 11, 2003, 09:29   #101
Hot Mustard
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty Python
King

Quote:
Originally posted by The Mad Monk
I asked about weather and season because it has a direct impact on Morganna and Rags following Incana without being seen themselves. Fog would make it easier for them to follow unnoticed, but would require them to stay closer, so they don't lose her. Same goes with rain and snow, except if they do lose her, snow might make it easier to determine where she went, while rain would make it impossible. I plan to use my read lips ability if she chats with anyone, so visibility (and the lack threof) is very important.

So...how's the weather?
Ah. Rags was just going to cast Change Self.
Old August 11, 2003, 09:32   #102
Harry Seldon
King

Quote:
So...how's the weather?
Did I mention how low my intelligence is? I just don't want to be dodging lightning strikes in my chainmail in bad weather.
Old August 11, 2003, 09:51   #103
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Alrighty...you follow Incana, and I'll keep an eye on you. Motion me forward if she starts talking. I'll try to stay unnoticed (bluff, disguise and hide in full effect).

edit: directed at Rags.

Should I be putting this in this thread, or the other one?
Old August 11, 2003, 09:55   #104
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Hmmm...as a player, you know exactly what my character is like, and vice versa; our characters don't have the same advantage. How should we handle this?
Old August 11, 2003, 09:58   #105
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

say what you are going to do in one

I had assumed something but it appears I will need to change it

Jon Miller

Jon Miller
Old August 11, 2003, 09:58   #106
Harry Seldon
King

Edit - That didn't make any sense.
Old August 11, 2003, 10:00   #107
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

the mad monk

I worte something down for you (you are heading towards the trade ward, you will find some shops open, and doing business)

Jon Miller
Old August 11, 2003, 10:05   #108
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Incana's headed for the trade ward?
Old August 11, 2003, 10:07   #109
Harry Seldon
King

Thanks, Jon. I had originally planned to direct my edited comment to TMM but realized he wasn't asking a general question.
Old August 11, 2003, 10:10   #110
Harry Seldon
King

To TMM - No, I think just Bandar is.
Old August 11, 2003, 10:34   #111
Hot Mustard
King

Quote:
Originally posted by The Mad Monk
Alrighty...you follow Incana, and I'll keep an eye on you. Motion me forward if she starts talking. I'll try to stay unnoticed (bluff, disguise and hide in full effect).

edit: directed at Rags.

Should I be putting this in this thread, or the other one?
Gotcha, ah well, it may not matter any more.

I can see it will be challenging to coordinate actions.

Suggestion:
Anything you are saying towards the DM (My character is going to do X.), or for character interaction amongst the group, post in the other thread.

Anything you are thinking about doing or saying, or making arrangements for character interaction amongst players, post in this thread.

Will that work?
Old August 11, 2003, 10:45   #112
The Mad Monk
Emperor

That works for me.
Old August 11, 2003, 10:53   #113
Harry Seldon
King

Sounds good.
Old August 11, 2003, 11:49   #114
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

ok

Joj NMiller
Old August 11, 2003, 12:18   #115
Harry Seldon
King

I was hoping to overhear some info on the brooch in the market but since we aren't going to RP it I'll just come back.
Old August 11, 2003, 12:44   #116
Harry Seldon
King

Hey, would you guys be interested in moving this thread over to the Stories and Diplomacy forum? Most of the mods feel it would be alright plus we'd get +1s and wouldn't have to search for the threads. I'll ask if you guys give the OK.
Old August 11, 2003, 12:51   #117
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

hmm, gather information check seems proper

I am ok with moving it (in fact it seems like a great idea, but I thought Ming wanted it here)

Jon Miller
Old August 11, 2003, 12:53   #118
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

(are you going to try and gather information, I need you to day that you want to do so in the other thread)

Jon Miller
Old August 11, 2003, 12:54   #119
Harry Seldon
King

Ming doesn't seem to care and other have suggested moving it there. Urban Ranger said there's already some DnD threads there, although I haven't checked yet.

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=94205
Old August 11, 2003, 13:02   #120
Harry Seldon
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Miller
(are you going to try and gather information, I need you to day that you want to do so in the other thread)

Jon Miller
I edited my last comment to include a general search for info through the crowds.