Old September 9, 2003, 07:31   #391
finbar
Civilization II MultiplayerMac
Emperor

Local Time: 08:57
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Andydog
Hey Tamerlin, I made a fantastic barbeque last night. Cut a 44 gallon drum in half and plonked a Safeways shopping trolley on top of it. Smashed up half the back fence and there's your charcoal. Whacked on the bangers, chops, steaks and mushies, hooked into the Grolsh, and washed the lot down with a few Tullamore Dews.

I'll wager you won't find recipe that in any of your French cooking books.
I haven't checked Frozzy's "Oxymorons" thread recently, but I assume someone suggested New Zealand Cooking.
Old September 9, 2003, 07:32   #392
finbar
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Tamerlin
Ravagon, it's not Friday!

Actually, it's ravagon this time, not the imposter. There was a typo in the post.
Old September 9, 2003, 13:56   #393
Havak
King

Local Time: 07:57
As I may not get chance to post tomorrow I would just like to say I have no idea why Mike Catt was picked.

If there is logic to it it escapes me totally.

I'm surprised Shaw lost out to Grewcock as well - he was far the better of the two in the warm up games.

Rowntree can feel a little agrieved too - he has done nothing wrong since facing the Abs in June - I suspect he misses out to lower the average age in the pack.

Overall I can't be too sad Smith, healey and Rowntree did miss out though - we need them this Saturday as the season starts in earnest (London irish at home).
Old September 9, 2003, 19:00   #394
finbar
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Havak
As I may not get chance to post tomorrow I would just like to say I have no idea why Mike Catt was picked.

If there is logic to it it escapes me totally.
Clive said it's for his experience.

Quote:
I'm surprised Shaw lost out to Grewcock as well - he was far the better of the two in the warm up games.
Presumably Grewcock throws a better punch.

The Springbok racism business continues to bubble. It seems coach Straeuli was of the view that that a player's ability was more important than his racial preferences. Silly man. So much for team unity. It's said he will lose his job over it.
Old September 9, 2003, 19:56   #395
Caligastia
Emperor

Local Time: 02:57
Quote:
Originally posted by finbar
The Springbok racism business continues to bubble. It seems coach Straeuli was of the view that that a player's ability was more important than his racial preferences.
Don't you mean "more important than racial preferences"?

Quote:
Silly man. So much for team unity. It's said he will lose his job over it.
Lose his job for not towing the racial prefernces line? I'll have to check out the story.
Old September 9, 2003, 21:19   #396
finbar
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Caligastia

Don't you mean "more important than racial preferences"?
I was talking about the particular player. Or, it seems, reading between the lines, possibly more than one player. All boiled down, the coach was of the view that he would overlook a player's racist attitudes providing the player played good rugby.

Quote:
Lose his job for not towing the racial prefernces line? I'll have to check out the story.
I thought it was clear, perhaps not. The talk is of the coach losing his job because he has turned a blind eye to racism within the squad. There was an incident recently of a white player refusing to share a room with a black player. The incident was investigated in-house and the white player was cleared in terms of the racism aspect. The team's Media Relations Manager has now resigned in protest against racism within the squad and the team management's covering up of same. He has provided a detailed document outlining the problems as he observed them first hand. It has been referred to an independent inquiry chaired by the same retired judge who chaired the inquiry into cricketer Hanse Cronje's corruption.
Old September 9, 2003, 21:24   #397
Caligastia
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by finbar

I was talking about the particular player. Or, it seems, reading between the lines, possibly more than one player. All boiled down, the coach was of the view that he would overlook a player's racist attitudes providing the player played good rugby.
I see. Well the player would have to be an idiot to make such feelings (if he had them) known to the rest of the team.

Quote:
I thought it was clear, perhaps not. The talk is of the coach losing his job because he has turned a blind eye to racism within the squad. There was an incident recently of a white player refusing to share a room with a black player. The incident was investigated in-house and the white player was cleared in terms of the racism aspect. The team's Media Relations Manager has now resigned in protest against racism within the squad and the team management's covering up of same. He has provided a detailed document outlining the problems as he observed them first hand. It has been referred to an independent inquiry chaired by the same retired judge who chaired the inquiry into cricketer Hanse Cronje's corruption.
Sounds like a storm in a teacup then.
Old September 9, 2003, 22:18   #398
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 14:57
Quote:
Ravagon, it's not Friday!
Smarmy git.

Quote:
I haven't checked Frozzy's "Oxymorons" thread recently, but I assume someone suggested New Zealand Cooking.
I was going to include "Australian culture" ... right up there with "French rugby".
And there was no spelling error - unless one is using a non-english dictionary.

You have to feel a little sorry for Strauli really. Given past history he was between a rock and a hard place as soon as the suggestion of racial bias came up.
However he'd dealt with it (if indeed it fell under his authority to do so - I don't know exactly how their system is structured) he was always going to be accused of either covering up or blowing things completely out of proportion.
Having the "victim" player (Davids IIRC?) ejected from the WC seems a little harsh on the surface too. Both sides aren't always at fault.
Old September 9, 2003, 22:25   #399
finbar
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ravagon
You have to feel a little sorry for Strauli really. Given past history he was between a rock and a hard place as soon as the suggestion of racial bias came up.
However he'd dealt with it (if indeed it fell under his authority to do so - I don't know exactly how their system is structured) he was always going to be accused of either covering up or blowing things completely out of proportion.
We don't yet know the extent of what's been going on. Presumably all will be revealed in the inquiry.

I'm not sure how you blow racism out of proportion, but anyway.

Quote:
Having the "victim" player (Davids IIRC?) ejected from the WC seems a little harsh on the surface too. Both sides aren't always at fault.
Neither player was picked but it's hard to know on what basis. I'd be surprised if the "victim" player - I think it's Davids - was omitted because of the incident.
Old September 10, 2003, 03:57   #400
Havak
King

Quote:
It's said he will lose his job over it.
If he does I'll not shed many tears.

I'm not buying the 'experienced' line from Woodward - I'm thinking 'expendable' myself - I expect Catt will be thrown in against the minnows where it doesn;t matter if he gets hurt.

Bizarre decision though - Healey could have filled that role and covered Wing and scrummy.

Strangely all three scrummies he has named are in great form - probably better at the moment than George - but not IMO as good as George has been in the past.
Old September 10, 2003, 04:03   #401
finbar
Emperor

Quote:
I'm not buying the 'experienced' line from Woodward - I'm thinking 'expendable' myself - I expect Catt will be thrown in against the minnows where it doesn;t matter if he gets hurt.

Bizarre decision though - Healey could have filled that role and covered Wing and scrummy.
Yes, but some of us would have been praying he'd get hurt.
Old September 10, 2003, 05:21   #402
Havak
King

Well Austin no doubt celebrated the decision to disallow Matilda (whilst the rest of us just breathed a sigh of relief such jingoistic nonsense was curtailed?)

Reading around our selections it seems Austin has been told he is first choice cover for 9, 10 and Wing in case of injury - and was left out due to lack of match fitness apparently.

I'll be interested to see if he starts for Tigers at scrummy Saturday. And also, given Pez has been dropped by Italy from their RWC (naturally - we sign a player and his form plummets) when he might join us?

Thats a strange decision actually - not only is he their incumbent fly half he is also first choice for kicking at the pegs...
Old September 10, 2003, 07:55   #403
Tamerlin
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Quote:
Originally posted by ravagon
Smarmy git.
I am not smarmy!
Old September 10, 2003, 08:15   #404
finbar
Emperor

Quote:
Well Austin no doubt celebrated the decision to disallow Matilda (whilst the rest of us just breathed a sigh of relief such jingoistic nonsense was curtailed?)
But they've now allowed it. Prior to the team arriving on the ground.

Quote:
Reading around our selections it seems Austin has been told he is first choice cover for 9, 10 and Wing in case of injury - and was left out due to lack of match fitness apparently.
Presumably his tongue's fit anyway.

Quote:
I'll be interested to see if he starts for Tigers at scrummy Saturday.
You should pray not, I'd've thought.

Quote:
Thats a strange decision actually - not only is he their incumbent fly half he is also first choice for kicking at the pegs...
They're a strange mob. That's what I like about them.
Old September 10, 2003, 08:16   #405
finbar
Emperor

Quote:

I am not smarmy!
Classic one-liner response!
Old September 10, 2003, 09:20   #406
Havak
King

Quote:
But they've now allowed it. Prior to the team arriving on the ground.
I don’t have a problem with that – that’s pre-match entertainment.

Just get rid of the silly little bloke with the banjo who did it at the Lions tests will you?

Quote:
Presumably his tongue's fit anyway.
Always.

And I think its fair to say he will never emigrate to Australia.

Quote:
You should pray not, I'd've thought.
Quite right – I want to see either the youngster Harry Ellis or the Irish lad Tom Tierney. Austin on the bench will do nicely though.

Quote:
They're a strange mob. That's what I like about them.
Fair enough.

From what I saw of the second choice kicker during the six nations it makes me wonder if this one will bite Kirwan back however.

I haven’t been able to read right back through the thread – did you guys notice the horrible injury to Geordan Murphy on Saturday – a really nasty leg break (Protruding bone and all). Ireland lost, in the space of two days – a dependable centre (Henderson) and this superb full back talent. Hard to see them getting through past Oz and Pumas now?
Old September 10, 2003, 19:16   #407
finbar
Emperor

Quote:

I don’t have a problem with that – that’s pre-match entertainment.
Loosely speaking.

Quote:
Just get rid of the silly little bloke with the banjo who did it at the Lions tests will you?
John Williamson? He set out to irritate you and he succeeded.

Quote:
Quite right – I want to see either the youngster Harry Ellis or the Irish lad Tom Tierney. Austin on the bench will do nicely though.
On a park bench in Slough would be even nicer.

Quote:
I haven’t been able to read right back through the thread – did you guys notice the horrible injury to Geordan Murphy on Saturday – a really nasty leg break (Protruding bone and all). Ireland lost, in the space of two days – a dependable centre (Henderson) and this superb full back talent. Hard to see them getting through past Oz and Pumas now?
Yes, I reported the injuries last weekend, and suggested Clive wrap Wilkinson and F********** in cotton wool. But you can never trust the Irish to succumb as others might.
Old September 10, 2003, 21:02   #408
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS

Local Time: 06:57
Tam's a bit of a tasty geezer.

All I know is FVCK SCOTLAND!!!!
Old September 10, 2003, 21:05   #409
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 14:57
Quote:
Interestingly the WC favourites list was announced today (although according to whom exactly, I don't know ... ) and Ireland showed up at no. 3 just before the Wallabies in fourth place.
The AB's were at number two and first place was taken by ... well, we don't really need to go into that.

Quote:
I am not smarmy!
Old September 10, 2003, 22:03   #410
Tamerlin
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Quote:
Originally posted by st_swithin
All I know is FVCK SCOTLAND!!!!
No, the French team needs an opponent at his level!
Old September 10, 2003, 22:20   #411
finbar
Emperor

Tamerlin, that's the best 409th post in a thread in the history of the OT Forum!
Old September 10, 2003, 22:37   #412
Caligastia
Emperor

FSW is showing every one of the 48 matches of the RWC. I'll try to watch most of them, but I might give SA v Uruguay a miss.
Old September 10, 2003, 22:42   #413
Caligastia
Emperor

http://www.foxsportsworld.com/conten...tentId=1641070

My wife will miss me...
Old September 10, 2003, 23:51   #414
finbar
Emperor

30C in Brisbane today. And it's only going to get hotter.
Old September 11, 2003, 03:49   #415
Havak
King

Quote:
John Williamson? He set out to irritate you and he succeeded.
Pretty much everything about the way the ARU treated it’s guests irritated me. We we the hosts – and had behaved as appallingly – I would have been mortified.

Rugby is an institution that should transcend the Aussie mindset of ‘win at all costs’ – and too many people in your set up don’t seem to get that.

Quote:
On a park bench in Slough would be even nicer.
Unless he clicks quickly this year he will be lucky to play for Slough next year.
Quote:
But you can never trust the Irish to succumb as others might.
I suspect looking back on it they are wishing they didn’t play him.
Quote:
The AB's were at number two and first place was taken by ... well, we don't really need to go into that.
The Boks made first place?
I don’t buy the Irish above Australia – terrible season though they had the Aussies still beat the paddies even with Murphy playing.

Lets face it Australia had a terrible tri-nations, they lost to the Poms at home, they have no front row to speak of, they have released senior players and lost other through injury and have drafted in a bunch of kids – so I think they have to be favourites for me.

Quote:
I might give SA v Uruguay a miss.
Make sure you catch England v Georgia though.

Quote:
30C in Brisbane today. And it's only going to get
hotter.
Well you have already pointed out how ludicrous it is to play in those conditions and that location – who made the call on venues – ARU or IRB?

I shouldn’t imagine not even the Aussies relish the thought of matches in 35C and, what, 90% humidity?
Old September 11, 2003, 05:18   #416
finbar
Emperor

Quote:

Rugby is an institution that should transcend the Aussie mindset of ‘win at all costs’ – and too many people in your set up don’t seem to get that.
The state of South Australia has just announced that it is renaming Kangaroo Island - a large-ish island off the state's south coast - Wallaby Island for the duration of the WRC.

Quote:
Well you have already pointed out how ludicrous it is to play in those conditions and that location – who made the call on venues – ARU or IRB?
Brisbane had to be on the roster because Queensland is one of the only two states that play rugby. Well, seriously anyway. It's going to be hot everywhere. It was 25C here in Sydney yesterday. I think it's the timing of the overall event that has to be questioned.

Quote:
I shouldn’t imagine not even the Aussies relish the thought of matches in 35C and, what, 90% humidity?
Quite right. I think we have a match in Brisbane. And I'm sure there's a minnows' match further North in Townsville. I must check.
Old September 11, 2003, 05:21   #417
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 18:57
This is quite ridiculous. It should be a) night games b) during winter, not spring.
Old September 11, 2003, 05:57   #418
Havak
King

I hate to say it guys but it is being scheduled for winter - just not winter in the actual venue.

Why the October start - the 95 world cup was earlier in the year wasn't it - June time? October only really makes sense for European hosts.

You recall what I was saying about the increasing commercial importance of England and France? I have a feeling our Unions may have refused to re-organise our seasons to accomodate the Aussies - naughty us.
Old September 11, 2003, 08:52   #419
finbar
Emperor

Japan is based in Townsville. They're playing three matches there - including against Les Grenouilles on October 18! The temps predicted for the next week up there range from 28C to 36C. The average maximum temp for October is 28C, with 21C the average overnight low. Some of those tubby grenouille forwards will come away a couple of stone lighter!
Old September 11, 2003, 08:56   #420
finbar
Emperor

Quote:
I hate to say it guys but it is being scheduled for winter - just not winter in the actual venue.
Technically it's mid-Spring here.

Quote:
Why the October start - the 95 world cup was earlier in the year wasn't it - June time? October only really makes sense for European hosts.
It was May/June in 1995. I think your next para could sum it up:

Quote:
You recall what I was saying about the increasing commercial importance of England and France? I have a feeling our Unions may have refused to re-organise our seasons to accomodate the Aussies - naughty us.