Old August 6, 2003, 06:52   #1
Rufus T. Firefly
King

Local Time: 02:58
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Globalization: the Turks strike back...with Chevy Chase!
Quote:
CHEVY CHASE DOES TURKISH COLA ADS AIMED AT COKE AND PEPSI
Spots Air as Anti-American Feeling in Turkey Runs High

July 28, 2003

By Bill Britt
LONDON (AdAge.com) -- U.S. actor Chevy Chase is starring in a TV advertising campaign for a new Turkish cola that competes with Coca-Cola and Pepsi-Cola at a time of heightened anti-American feeling in Turkey.

Hollywood actors often appear in foreign commercials, but the spot featuring Mr. Chase has the unusual twist of promoting a local cola brand, Cola Turka, over its American rivals at a politically charged moment.

Attempts to reach Mr. Chase or his agent for comment were unsuccessful on Friday.

'Drinking America'
"You are drinking America, you are not drinking a soda," said Serdar Erener, referring to the U.S. cola giants Coke and Pepsi. Mr. Erener is the CEO and creative director of WPP Group's Young & Rubicam, Istanbul, the advertising agency that created the spots.

Mr. Erener said the brand's launch strategy had "nothing to do" with the Iraq war. However, he also said a recent clash between U.S. and Turkish soldiers across the border in Iraq had helped the advertising campaign "touch a nerve" in Turkey.

On July 5, the Chevy Chase spots for Cola Turka broke simultaneously on all of Turkey's TV channels. The day before, U.S. troops in Iraq arrested 11 Turkish soldiers and held them for 60 hours, angering Turks and sparking anti-American marches in Turkey's capital, Ankara.

Major Turkish company
Cola Turka is marketed by Ulker, a major Turkish confectionary and cookie company with nationwide distribution and exports to 78 countries. Last year, the 59-year-old company acquired a local soft-drinks maker and assigned Y&R a lemon-lime soft drink brand called Camlica and, later, the Cola Turka project.

The two spots, filmed in New York, aren't anti-America but turn the idea of cola as an American symbol on its head as New Yorkers who are shown drinking Cola Turka suddenly become Turkish.

Mr. Chase is well-known in Turkey for his bumbling family man character Clark W. Griswold from the National Lampoon Vacation movies. The agency cast him to portray a father perplexed by the weird cultural changes happening around him.

Becoming Turkish
In the one spot, Mr. Chase walks through Times Square as a car full of Turks, wrapped in their national flag to celebrate a soccer victory, drive by. He enters a diner to grab a cup of coffee and a cowboy sitting next to him begins using Turkish words after drinking from a red-and-white can of Cola Turka.

In the next spot, Mr. Chase is seen parking his Griswold-style station wagon at his suburban home, where his wife is preparing a Turkish meal for her parents and the children. At the dinner table everyone sings "Take me out to the ball game" until they take a sip of Cola Turka and break into a Turkish-language 1930s Boy Scout song that is part of Turkey's national identity. At the end of the spot, Mr. Chase sprouts a bushy mustache.

Ulker has not released initial sales figures for Cola Turka and did not return calls. Y&R's Mr. Erener claimed sales have been vigorous.

Goal: 25% of soft drink market
Unlike the new Islamic colas Mecca Cola, Qibla Cola and Zam Zam Cola that have sprung up around Europe and the Middle East to counter Western brands, Ulker aims to be more than a niche brand in Turkey's 7.5 billion liter soft drink market. Ulker has said in statements that its goal is a 25% share of Turkey's youthful, fast-growing soft-drink market, currently dominated by Coke with a 57% share, followed by Pepsi with 27%.

According to local sources, Coke has cut prices by more than 10% since Cola Turka's launch. Coca-Cola did not return calls for comment.
http://www.adage.com/news.cms?newsId=38390#

This stuff is flying off the shelves here. I'm in the supermarket every 2-3 days, and I literally haven't seen anybody buying Coke since Cola Turka was introduced. Coke, for their part, has massively increaded it's advertising presence, especially on TV. The Turkish press has been divided on it, sometimes praising it for being a blow to the literal CocaCola-zation of Turkey, and some expressing concern that the manufacturer, Ulker, tends to support Islamicist causes.

The cola itself is actually very good, and I myself prefer it to Coke or Pepsi; it's not as sweet, and has a strong undercurrent of vanilla (one that tastes good, unlike hideous Vanilla Coke). Ironically, rumor has it that it's not Ulker's formula, but that their selling American RC Cola under their own name (it's been to long since I've had RC for me to be able to say). Even better, another rumor has it that the company went for Chase because he was both instantly recognizeable and, given the current state of his career, very very affordable.

Anyway, globalization is just a wacky, wacky thing, n'est-ce pas?
Old August 6, 2003, 06:56   #2
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 06:58
Re: Globalization: the Turks strike back...with Chevy Chase!
More power to them.
Old August 6, 2003, 07:06   #3
Winston
Emperor

Local Time: 08:58
Incidentally, what happened to paiktis22?

Maybe he insulted real people who could actually get to him...
Old August 6, 2003, 07:15   #4
Rufus T. Firefly
King

I was wondering that myself...
Old August 6, 2003, 08:01   #5
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 07:58
At least the Turks have the balls to challenge Coke and Pepsi directly. In India they seem to be going down the scare tactics road claiming pesticide contamination in both drinks made locally.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/3126519.stm
Old August 6, 2003, 08:02   #6
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 08:58
what's anti-American about challenging American companies?
Old August 6, 2003, 09:12   #7
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Ecthelion
what's anti-American about challenging American companies?

nothing - especially using an american actor to do so

The symbols in the ads all seem to be nationalistic, not islamic. This is a GOOD thing. And of course its capitalism. Another GOOD thing.
Old August 6, 2003, 13:24   #8
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 23:58
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I gotta see this commercial. Anywhere I can get it online?
Old August 6, 2003, 14:11   #9
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 01:58
http://www.adage.com/news.cms?newsId=38390
Old August 6, 2003, 14:16   #10
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 15:58
Yeah, my supervisor has a Turkish wife, he showed it me last week. Very funny.

I really like the bit where they throw water after the departed.

Now if only we could buy Turka Cola in Canada.
Old August 6, 2003, 14:23   #11
Poogas
Chieftain

I want to see that comercial so badly.
Old August 6, 2003, 14:30   #12
Poogas
Chieftain

Oh I'm good
The comercials are here, if anyone wants to see them.

http://www.adage.com/news.cms?newsId=38390

They are extremely weird... hard to follow especially the conversation in the first part with the cowboy. But than again, I'm not turkish so that could be why.

Maybe someone from the states should take time and tell the turks we don't have Potato men roaming are streets aimlessly j/k

Is the throwing of the water by the car a tradition or something?
Old August 6, 2003, 15:08   #13
yavoon
Warlord

hate america? drink our cola!

now thats classic.
Old August 6, 2003, 22:49   #14
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
I was wondering that myself...
I can take him off ignore then?

Cola is the lowest form of carbonated beverage. Its all uphill from there.