Old November 9, 1999, 15:27   #1
William Keenan
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 00:49
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Stefan … it is easy to understand why you did not know my name since I wrote the review using my alias, "William Keenan."

The fact of the matter is that I did not grade the author on a curve because of his young age. I rated the scenario a six, just three points above rock bottom. Despite all the scenarios weak points it did merit the three points I gave it: the rule.txt was modified; the unit graphics were also modified; and the scenario did not crash.

The last paragraph of the review was not a pardon for a bad scenario - which is how you seem to have judged it - rather it was an attempt to encourage the author to put more effort into his future scenarios. I stand by what I said. Because I judged the product to be faulty does not require me to demean its author.
Old November 9, 1999, 16:05   #2
blackclove

I'm always surprised to find that some of our more mature members are aged 14-15 I thought Stefan was in his early 20's for sure.

I agree with William here, though. The author did his best and it was his first scenario. My first scenario frankly stinks! I just played it again recently and I couldn't believe I wrote that junk.

Old November 9, 1999, 16:35   #3
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 06:49
A score of 6? Even my "scenario" WW98 had at leats 7 points!

But I wouldn't call that a scenario, it was a test and a rather bad one as well...luckely my later (real) scenarios are much better!

BTW I made the first one when I was 15
Old November 9, 1999, 18:50   #4
Paul Hanson
King

Well, I`m glad at least one other person on the planet thinks the way I do, Stefan. I`m 15 myself, and my first scenario should be posted on the Scenario League sometime this week. Though I don`t like to blow my own trumpet, it`s miles better than that crap. I really hope that William`s comments persuade the author to make better scenarios in the future, but the fact that his is only 14 is no excuse for making a poor scenario. I mentioned this when I posted my scenario to the Scenario League, and when it`s posted you can judge for yourselves.

By the way Stefan, none of your scenarios work on my version of Civ2. I think it`s something to do with the date being B.C, and also in months, because both Artaxerxes and 3rd Punic War crash at the beginning of the first turn. Does anyone else have this problem?

------------------
"I`m a rugged individualist, just like everyone else".

-Bart Simpson`s Guide to Life
Old November 9, 1999, 23:22   #5
DarthVeda
Emperor

Local Time: 01:49
I think I made my first scenario when I was 14, and I still think it's one of my most fun scenarios to play (even though it involves many nuclear weapons and a mostly civ atmosphere).
Old November 10, 1999, 01:40   #6
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 23:49
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Blackclove, was your first scenario called "Empire"? It was one of my favourites a few years ago. I still have fond memories of that witch unit!
Old November 10, 1999, 01:52   #7
Stefan Härtel
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

To the reviewer of "Second English Civil War"
Sorry, I don't know your name.

I just wanted to say that the age of the author of this scen is no excuse for that crap he made!
I made all my scenarios (Holy Wars, Quest1-3, 3d Punic War, Artaxerxes) at the sweet age of 14, I turned 15 this September.
I don't think that my scenarios are the best out there, even though some of them are celebrated. But I think they are way better than that crap!
Old November 10, 1999, 09:22   #8
Stefan Härtel
King

dp
[This message has been edited by Stefan Härtel (edited November 10, 1999).]
Old November 10, 1999, 09:27   #9
Stefan Härtel
King

I can remember my first scenario. It was called "The Rise of Assyria" and was posted on the now offline Largest German Civilization II Homepage. I don't even have that scenario myself anymore!
Well, even though the map was quite crappy, the units wheren't the best (but also not the worst, IMHO), and the scenario was historically inaccurate, I don't think it was THAT bad for a first try...
The earliest that you all might know is "The Holy Wars". Then came "Quest1", "Quest2", "3dPunic War", "Quest3" and "Artaxerxes"... And I'm doing three scenarios right now, all of which I hope to publish this or next month.

Paul Hanson, I think you played the first version of 3dPunic War, which nobody could run. I couldn't either, so I remade it. It is available at CSC.
I don't know why Artaxerxes won't run. My playtesters didn't send me any complaints, neither did anyone else. Everybody who spoke to me about it found it terrific...

Blackclove: You're not the only one... I was held for 18 sometimes...especially at the day before the votes when I informed myself a bit

WK, I think we can leave it like that.

I just find it stupied that some people might just think this is a good apology! I made "Assyria" even when I was 13!!!
Old November 10, 1999, 11:37   #10
Aeneas of Ilium

I, too, agree with what the others said
In mak'ng of art, by age no part is play'd
I made my first scenario at thirteen
And while I've sure much better efforts seen
In SLeague's ratings, I got a sixteen
Further, as I turned 15 last week
All of my efforts which now of I speak
Were made at this same age; 'tis no excuse
To craft things wrong, and holy art abuse

PS: In case you didn't know already, I'm Giant Squid; I got a different login.

------------------
Thus spoke Æneas; thus the Trojan crew
With cries and clamor his request renew

Old November 10, 1999, 17:25   #11
blackclove

Quote:
Blackclove, was your first scenario called "Empire"? It was one of my favourites a few years ago. I still have fond memories of that witch unit!
Yep, it was Empire. I played it again recently and found it really needed work - but when it came out it wasn't that bad.

I also recently replayed my Alien Invasion scenario (available on the tips page about tech tree design) and was surprised to find that except for the bugs it's a pretty fun scenario. Now I know what the first thing to do is when aliens invade: CONQUER THE THIRD WORLD!! How else are you going to get your science rate up?

Old November 10, 1999, 17:45   #12
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 01:49
Hey GS, what happened to you? Did you get permenantle banned or something? Yes, I know I'm behind, sue me.
Old November 10, 1999, 18:43   #13
Paul Hanson
King

Stefan, I downloaded 3rd Punic War from the CSC not that long ago, and that didn`t work. After I`ve written this, I`m going to download it again and see if it`ll work then.

Artaxerxes remains a mystery. It`s a pity, because I`d heard all the good comments about it and was really hoping to get into it. Unfortunately, Sod`s Law suggests that it won`t work if that`s the case. Bad scenarios continues to function perfectly. Scenarios like Second English Civil War, although to be fair I did realise the other day that Operation Allied Force was made by the same person (Thomas Maunder) and that wasn`t too bad, despite several problems. it shows that Thomas is capable of much better, which is good.