Old August 6, 2003, 16:13   #1
Arcainite
Alpha Centauri PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 01:59
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Call goes out for a CMN
Hello. Some of the players of the Arcainite's Agenda game have declared the game is decided and are starting a new game. We would like to get a CMN for it so that one of us doesn't have to. Waab is, of course, invited to CMN for us. Or Phobos for that matter.
The plan is to play IP for the first 50 turns or so to greatly reduce the time needed for this game. We are seeking 1 more player or 3 more players..so far we have Lazerus, Arcainite, and Thrar signed on to play. Nothing else has been decided yet, but should be discussed here to prevent excess baggage on the Arcainite Agenda thread.
If we want waab to play with us, we'll have to start PBEM and we're not sure if we want to do that yet. If we do use waab, I think we are fine on players, because it will be PBEM with 4 human players. If we start IP though I could conceivably see 6 even though I know most of you poo poo that idea.
I call Roze (Data Angels) again and if we play with just SMAC not SMAX, I would like to try Miriam (Believers). If we play a SMAC game, I have an ex-gf who has never played multiplayer before and wants to try and has only the base game.
Arcainite
Right now I'm good for any time any day except this weekend and the 13th. I'll let you know if this changes.
Old August 7, 2003, 07:17   #2
Lazerus
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStates
King

Local Time: 07:59
We don't really need a CMN if we're playing IP, though using a custom map would rule out somebody starting on a really small island whereas somebody else gets a huge continent to themself with the monsoon jungle. 6 players even in IP lags it alot, the upkeep phase would send people to sleep and most likely a player would drop every now and again.

Since we'll be playing evening my time (with you being 5hrs behind GMT?) then thur,sat?,sun,wed,thur etc are fine with me
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Last edited by Lazerus; August 7, 2003 at 10:45.
Old August 8, 2003, 01:34   #3
jtsisyoda
ACDG The Free DronesAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Morgan
King

If you decide to do SMAX IP to 2150, I'll join. In that scenario I'd be the fourth, I think. I've never tried IP, but my connection is fast and reliable. I'm GMT -5, and my weekends are free. If you let me in, the players from the previous game can have their pick of factions, and I'll choose from what's left.

I do think a CMN is a good idea. With 4-6 random start locations, one is bound to be really bad or really good.
Old August 8, 2003, 09:59   #4
Lazerus
King

Ok So we'll play next weekend 16 or 17th around 8pm GMT ?
Gives us abit of time to find somebody willing to edit a map for us aswell.

Welcome aboard Yoda.

What settings shall we use ?
Average rainfall,erosion and worms
standard size map
30-50% water
Do or Die on
All victory conditions on
Directed research on
Spoils of war on or off fine with me

those are the main ones i can think of, anybody want different ?

As for factions I'll play either the Hive or Drones
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.
Old August 13, 2003, 14:33   #5
jtsisyoda
ACDG The Free DronesAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Morgan
King

I just thought of something. Between my ISP and my own firewall program, IP SMAX might not work for me. I'm not sure how they work, but since I can't transfer files with instant messengers, IP SMAX could be a problem, too. It's probably more hassle than I want, so I'm going to back out of IP. Sorry.
Old August 14, 2003, 08:12   #6
Thrar
Warlord

Local Time: 06:59
First, i want to confirm that i'm in. Unfortunately i'm at my parents house this weekend, so i won't be able to play in an IP game before tuesday evening.
About the settings, I'd suggest Spoils of War turned off, since it is a faction bonus for the Cyborgs, and takes away some use for probe teams.
I'm not sure about my faction yet, probably Peacekeepers, Cyborgs, maybe even Gaians or anything else. Pick whatever you want, I'll take one of those that are left then.
And Arc: You really don't want to play Miriam, trust me. YOU REALLY DON'T! I picked her once in an IP game when I was fighting with Phobos all the time - her research sucks so bad, it's not even funny. And just as bad, no research til 2110, and what do you do in those first 10 turns? No formers in a dry starting location means life looks pretty bad for you...

Yoda, you should try out with someone if it works. Apparently, the port for your file transfer is blocked (likely by your firewall), but the game uses a different one (don't as me which though ). Or you could disable your firewall for the game, unless you're using a router then there shouldn't be further problems.
Old August 14, 2003, 11:56   #7
Lazerus
King

Theres some discussion about how miriam is rather flexible and can be used well in the general thread if you are going to play her arc.

So is the game pushed back until Wednesday night now ? (doubt i can get on tuesday)

Yoda whats your msn email or icq number and if you want sometime i'll see if its possible for you to join games.
Nobody checking about hosting as a CMN, the players who i've seen do alot of good work are as CMN's are Hobbes,Googlie and Darsnan if somebody wants to msg one ? We'll need to get the 4th players faction sorted out first though.
Old August 14, 2003, 12:57   #8
jtsisyoda
King

Thrar, my connection is DSL so there is a router.

Lazerus, if you want to help me try it out, pick a time after 1700 GMT Saturday or Sunday. I don't have ICQ but my email is jtscheidt at hotmail dot com and I have msn msgr.
Old August 14, 2003, 14:20   #9
Thrar
Warlord

Wednesday would be fine with me.
I'll play as Morganites then, however I'd still vote for Spoils of War to be turned off.
Tell us if it works when you tried to connect for an IP game, otherwise we'd have to decide whether to start as PBEM, play with 3 players or wait for more.

Last edited by Thrar; August 14, 2003 at 14:40.
Old August 17, 2003, 12:18   #10
Arcainite
Alpha Centauri PBEM
Prince

I'm back from vacation
I thought it was just going to be an extended weekend vacation but I ended up taking the whole week! Well, anyway, I'm back now. Wednesday is fine with me as is Saturday or Sunday if I have enough warning. So let's plan for this Wednesday if we can all make it then? What time is good? I can probably be on at any time you european guys but let's get this ball rolling again.

Arcainite
PS- Well, if the research is slow I could always go the military route I guess. Does this mean we're playing SMAC then and not SMAX? I think we're settling on the increased options of SMAX.
Old August 19, 2003, 12:16   #11
Lazerus
King

Game starts 19:00 GMT 20/8/2003 (ok with every1 ?)

Lazerus - Hive
Arcainite - Believers
Thrar - Morgan
4th player - ?

Settings :
Smax
Transcend
All victory conditions on
Co-operative victory on (i assume?)
Spoils of war off
Do or die on
Blind research off
Planet size - Standard
30-50% water (if a player wants pirates then increase)
Average - worms,erosion,cloud cover

Are we playing the IP for a set amount of turns of just a few hours until people want to end it ? turns i'd say around 50-60, that or around 3-4hrs. Leaves something for the pbem

(think i've got a 4th player for us btw)

Last edited by Lazerus; August 19, 2003 at 12:25.
Old August 19, 2003, 12:53   #12
rothe
Settler

I'm In
Drones for me or the pirates.
Old August 19, 2003, 13:42   #13
Lazerus
King

still no CMN though so theres gonna be that chance of some1 getting a small island and another player getting a continent to himself with the jungle ...
Old August 19, 2003, 14:36   #14
Lazerus
King

having some timezone problems atm though ... rothe is GMT -7 and will be at work at that time on a wed
Old August 20, 2003, 13:38   #15
Lazerus
King

Well rothe can't play from work (firewall probs) and by the time he finishes it would be a very late start for me and thrar, so it seems we push it back again to a sunday start, again around 7-8pm GMT which is fine for me,thrar and rothe so if you can make it arc then thats set.

Also if you show up soon me and thrar are on if you want to have a free for all ip game just so the meeting wasn't in vain
Old August 23, 2003, 14:52   #16
rothe
Settler

okay so what time would that be in utah heh so i dont miss it.
Old August 24, 2003, 13:35   #17
Arcainite
Alpha Centauri PBEM
Prince

I have a problem with ICQ
I just updated to the new version and still it won't let me in anymore. I didn't change any settings at all, but I suspect it's my firewall. I can't seem to fix the problem.. I'll be on AIM under the name Arcainite. Please contact me there. Sorry about the trouble.
MSN Messager is giving me trouble also, but I'm on yahoo messager now under the name eats_the_bugs, so that still works too.
Arcainite/eats_the_bugs
PS - the yahoo name was a bonegnawer werewolf I used to play...long story.

Last edited by Arcainite; August 24, 2003 at 13:45.
Old August 24, 2003, 19:10   #18
Lazerus
King

such a bad start for my Hive
Old August 24, 2003, 19:37   #19
Thrar
Warlord

gl hf guys, i hope the game will be interesting!

Here's the list of the contacts in order:
(i changed @ to AT, in case some bots are browsing this pages for spam addresses)
Rothe - frazierATxmission.com, icq 46344977
Thrar - thrarxxAThotmail.com, icq 123968343 or MSN
Arcainite - arcainiteATaol.com, tell us if you get icq back to work
Lazerus - kris_no1AThotmail.com, icq 325817637 or MSN
Old August 26, 2003, 03:40   #20
Arcainite
Alpha Centauri PBEM
Prince

Escape from the Lazerites Turn 2155
LOL. We really need to name this game.
Turn sent to Laz.
Arcainite
PS - Is it possible for waab to join in now that it's PBEM? If he wants to that is. Or are we good to go as is?
Old August 27, 2003, 08:55   #21
Lazerus
King

Turn was sent yesterday.
Theres no human factions for Waab to join in and play with forgot about that, he could have taken over Blockheads cult rather then him resigning.

Game should be called Morgans Greed since Thrar is going to be the player to catch this game
My start was so bad 30+ worms so far from pops and IoDs (im sure blockhead has been releasing them near me for a laugh lol) then losing the WP to rothe because i moved an AA too much, too much fungus around my HQ etc etc, i'll keep my pace going and still be a player who needs to be bribed if you want to get into the council
Old August 28, 2003, 10:20   #22
Arcainite
Alpha Centauri PBEM
Prince

What is the turn sequence?
What's the order of the players, including NPCs if known?
Let's call this game Wormy's Revenge! What do you think?
Arcainite
PS - When we decide on a name, should we start a new thread?
Old August 28, 2003, 11:04   #23
Lazerus
King

I'm not amused lol

well i was talking with rothe when i played it so i assume he has passed it onto thrar. Yes a new thread for turn tracking would be in order
Old September 12, 2003, 07:25   #24
Thrar
Warlord

Hi guys,

sorry for the long delay again... (déjà vu? )
The day i got the turn from Rothe, almost 2 weeks ago, my harddisk decided to quit its services. Lost a lot of data, and of course all installed programs and stuff.
It took me til the wednesday after to get most things running again on my old HD, and then i went to my parents' house...where i forgot my SMAC CD!!
While i did have SMAX to play the turns, i didn't have SMAC, and the game wasn't installed there.
I guess i should have left you guys a message, sorry about that, dunno why i didn't.
Anyway, i'm back at my own computer now, which is running as smoothly as i'm used to, on those old and (hopefully) reliable harddisks.
Is everyone else still here?

oh btw, turn sent to Arc.
Old September 16, 2003, 06:08   #25
Arcainite
Alpha Centauri PBEM
Prince

I got Deju Vu also playing this turn...
Did you send me the old turn or the new turn? Well, I guess we'll find out...anyway, I've sent the game on to Lazerus now.
Arcainite - Data Angels
Old September 16, 2003, 13:45   #26
Lazerus
King

this turn is atleast 5 old ! try look for a newer one or we're gonna spend 2 weeks getting to where we were.
Old September 20, 2003, 02:41   #27
Arcainite
Alpha Centauri PBEM
Prince

It wasn't my doing...
I thought it was an older turn though, but I did play the turn that was sent to me. Thrar?
Arcainite
Old September 20, 2003, 06:24   #28
Thrar
Warlord

I played the turn that was still on my hotmail account, and since we only played one full turn before, it should have been no older than 1 year, and i think it's the current one. Also, i didn't think i'd played it before.
Old September 20, 2003, 07:35   #29
Lazerus
King

We finished the IP game as agreed in 2160, im sure of it because i know i completed the PTS and i haven't even started it in this turn.