View Poll Results: Could a gay person ever become president of the USA?
Yes 14 41.18%
No 16 47.06%
Another banana usage poll? *hunts down and kills elijah* 4 11.76%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 7, 2003, 08:41   #1
Whaleboy
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessMac
Prince

Local Time: 07:02
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Could a gay man/woman ever become president of the USA?
Frankly, I think its more likely that this could be the case in Britain within the next couple of decades than America. I don't know, is there a general popular homophobia, or is Bush's views representative of the general conservative opinion in America?

Discuss!

EDIT: Thanks to dinodocs hair-splitting, I fixed a typo

Last edited by Whaleboy; August 7, 2003 at 08:57.
Old August 7, 2003, 08:46   #2
Whaleboy
Prince

My opinion is that it would be difficult if not impossible. It is unfortunate
Old August 7, 2003, 08:52   #3
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 03:02
Quote:
Could a gay man/woman ever become president of the USA?
emphasis mine.

Since you put that word in, my answer is yes.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old August 7, 2003, 08:53   #4
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 02:02
Re: Could a gay man/woman ever become president of the USA?
Quote:
Originally posted by elijah
is Bush's views representative of the general conservative opinion in Ameria?
How did Bush get to be in charge of Ameria? Where is Ameria anyway?
Old August 7, 2003, 08:53   #5
Q Classic
Emperor

no. "compassionate conservative christianity" (CCC) tends to have a stranglehold in many regions here. while such a candidate may be able to sway voters in the northeast, it's unlikely s/he'd be able to gain any states in the south, great plains, southwest, or possibly even most of the midwest.
Old August 7, 2003, 08:55   #6
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 01:02
no by a britain

yes by an american

two votes

Jon Miller
Old August 7, 2003, 09:12   #7
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Yes

Look how sexual attitudes have changed in the last 50 years and consider how much they could change in the next 100 years. I don't see it happening in the next 20 years but I see it as possible after that due to shifts in attitudes.

Also, I took the question to mean "openly" gay since there may already have been a gay president for all I know
Old August 7, 2003, 09:13   #8
Meldor
Settler

Voted yes. Ever is a long time.
Old August 7, 2003, 09:14   #9
Whaleboy
Prince

Well, uncertainty principle dictates that if you consider "ever" to be infinite, then there will be, so lets use a reasonable timeframe, for example the one I gave of 20 years.
Old August 7, 2003, 09:14   #10
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Probably during my lifetime, yes.
Old August 7, 2003, 09:19   #11
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 08:02
Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
The President does not exist to wield power. He exists to draw attention away from those that wield power.

*fades back into the shadows and lights up a cig. Coughs lungs out and exchanges for a martini.*

You may call me Martini Drinking Man.
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old August 7, 2003, 09:22   #12
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Wouldn't you rather be called FABULOUS Martini Drinking Man?
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old August 7, 2003, 09:28   #13
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 00:02
Could a gay person ever become president of the USA?
I say yes, it could happen...but the most likely scenario would be that the President is elected and then comes out of his/her closet after the fact.
Old August 7, 2003, 10:33   #14
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 03:02
Oh, 20 years? That's VERY different than ever.

That's a pretty short time frame, as these things go. Therefore, I would say it's extrememly unlikely. We haven't had a female or non-white president yet, either, even though attitudes on gender & race have improved quite a bit.

Basically, the political power of the religious right must wane, and that's gonna take a little while, folks.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old August 7, 2003, 10:34   #15
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Unless the military changes its policies, since the President is commander in chief of the military, it's unlikely the US could accept a gay president in the next couple of decades. Further down the road maybe. It took more than half a century after Catholicism was tolerated in the US before a Catholic president was elected.
Old August 7, 2003, 10:49   #16
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Within 20 years -- thats different . I don't believe that a declared homosexual will win the preseidency in that time frame . Within the 20 years timeframe, a lot of voting power will be wielded by my generation and people older.

The way I look at this is pretty simple

Voters older than me-- on average, little chance as there is a substantial group that would vehemently oppose

My contemporaries-- Possibly a majority of people would have no strong opposition to the concept but a significant minority would be vehemently opposed to a gay president. Combining those with people who oppose the candidate due to policies and party affiliation, I find it unlikely a gay candidate would win the day in this demographic unless they were a far superior candidate

Younger voters-- I believe the vehement anti-gay element is getting smaller and smaller over time. I wouldn't doubt that at some point trhe vehement anti-gay group might be balanced by a similar sized group that votes for a candidate only because (s)he is gay. Once those two groups balance, then the decision rests with the rest of the electorate on the actual merits of the candidates.

I see this taking some time but it will happen. I think there will be a woman president long before though.
Old August 7, 2003, 11:08   #17
Proteus_MST
King

Local Time: 09:02
Quote:
Originally posted by Starchild
The President does not exist to wield power. He exists to draw attention away from those that wield power.

*fades back into the shadows and lights up a cig. Coughs lungs out and exchanges for a martini.*

You may call me Martini Drinking Man.
Which means, that it could be useful for the Presient to have two heads

I for my part think, that it is more likely that a gay man/woman will one day become President of the United states, than a man with two heads
Old August 7, 2003, 12:04   #18
red_jon
NationStates
King

It will be a long time for the United States - were a President to come out during his term in office it is possible he would be impeached.

Here, not as long but still a while. It's probable we'll have a non-white leader first. My guess is a Conservative Asian.
Old August 7, 2003, 12:14   #19
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

Probably not within 20 years, it is still normal for the President to be a family man with kids..

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old August 7, 2003, 12:31   #20
Japher
Emperor

What's a man/woman, is that some kind of hybrid or partial sex change type person?

Just kidding... Yes, it could happen. Maybe not in my life time, but hopefully by the end of my life this won't even be a hypothetical question.
Old August 7, 2003, 12:40   #21
Q Classic
Emperor

Quote:
It will be a long time for the United States - were a President to come out during his term in office it is possible he would be impeached.

Here, not as long but still a while. It's probable we'll have a non-white leader first. My guess is a Conservative Asian.
doubt it. i'd have to go with either women, blacks, or latinos first, since asians are currently ranked quite a bit less trustworthy than those categories. everybody wants an asian brain, but nobody wants to follow one: so you'll always seem them in cabinets and what not, but not in the driver's seat, not for a long, long while.
Old August 7, 2003, 12:50   #22
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Britain!

aren't those church memebers over there threatening to break apart from the U.S. church after they appointed a gay bishop?

Face it, the British are no more superior than the americans with regards to bigotry.

I don't see it happenning in the next 50 years. After that, anything is possible.
Old August 7, 2003, 13:00   #23
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by red_jon
...were a President to come out during his term in office it is possible he would be impeached.
Actually, if this were to happen, the President's sexual preferance would not be an impeachable offense...at least, under the law it is not.
Old August 7, 2003, 13:00   #24
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

they could say he lied. But lying in general is not impeachable.

lying under oath like some presidents we know is impeachable
Old August 7, 2003, 13:04   #25
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Ah, but if the President was in his/her closest prior to being elected, they would not have to lie since the question concerning sexual preferance would never have been brought up (especially while under oath).
Old August 7, 2003, 13:05   #26
Japher
Emperor

I don't think it should ever be brought up under oath. The president, as Commander and Cheif, should fall under the "don't ask, don't tell" policy...
Old August 7, 2003, 13:06   #27
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

good point.

It's not like being straight is a requirement for president.

But you must admit, people may ask questions if a non-married president runs for president.

We only had one bachelor president. And I believe it was widely known, he got it on with lots of women.
Old August 7, 2003, 13:06   #28
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Well, there was a Gallup poll conducted about this a couple of years ago, and the results were actually fairly surprising. A majority of Americans--59%--said they'd vote for a gay candidate so long as his/her political positions on other issues was compatible. This is, interestingly enough, compared to only 49% saying they'd vote for an atheist. In the same poll, there was a 2-1 margin saying they felt a gay candidate would be more honest than other candidates, since the biggest skeleton was already out of the closet, erm, so to speak.

Seriously, however, I doubt it would happen in the next 20 years. Maybe 50, more likely 100. Presuming the U.S. and such is still around then.
Old August 7, 2003, 13:07   #29
Japher
Emperor

Just thinking; wouldn't it be a hoot if they sic'd those Queer Eye for The Straigh Guy dudes on Pres. Bush...

That would be hilarious.
Old August 7, 2003, 13:09   #30
Japher
Emperor

Quote:
Seriously, however, I doubt it would happen in the next 20 years. Maybe 50, more likely 100
Heck, by then, they are likely to find the cure for homosexuality...