Old August 7, 2003, 12:58   #1
Hydro
ACDG3 GaiansApolyton Storywriters' GuildSporePolyCast Team
King

Local Time: 07:02
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Green and Native Attacks
I have made the qualitative observation that rogue native units are less likely to attack when you have a positive planet rating, and that the chance of this attack seems proportional to the rating itself. As anecdotal evidence I’ve seen rogue worms or IoDs ignore my bases and even units in those areas and just wander around, and sometimes they are obviously making for some other faction’s territory. Another example are sea pods. My IoDs or transport will pop a pod and get a hostile IoD, and then I move off a hex or two (more if I have the MCC). When I’m FM it seems the IoD always attack. As Green/Cyber then the IoD sometimes leaves me alone. If I am Gaian/Green/Cyber with Manifold Nexus then the IoDs just seem to wander away. The exception are worms from ecodamage – they are always hostile and focused on your destruction. Another exception is when my units end up adjacent – then they always attack.

Has anyone else noticed this, or quantified this effect? It makes sense, and if it is real it is a nice touch to a game with lots of nice touches.

Hydro
Old August 8, 2003, 06:21   #2
Gufnork
Prince

Even with a 0 planet rating IoD's tend to leave you alone as long as you don't stop right beside them.
Old August 8, 2003, 09:06   #3
Lazerus
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStates
King

Local Time: 08:02
Whats annoying is when you have lots of movement left and you pop a pod for an IoD to appear and your units turn ends ? Does it take 2 or 3 movement to pop a pod at sea or something ?
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.
Old August 8, 2003, 09:52   #4
Jac de Molay
Prince

I think it subtracts 2 for popping an IoD and 1 for goodies.
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old August 8, 2003, 12:51   #5
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 02:02
Quote:
Originally posted by Lazerus
Whats annoying is when you have lots of movement left and you pop a pod for an IoD to appear and your units turn ends ? Does it take 2 or 3 movement to pop a pod at sea or something ?
I don't think so. Frequently, however, you don't notice that the pod is in seafungus until you pop it.
Old August 8, 2003, 13:43   #6
Hydro
ACDG3 GaiansApolyton Storywriters' GuildSporePolyCast Team
King

I think JDM is right. You can pop a pod in fungus if you have 1 move left. However, if you want to move out again you need 4 (3 being taken by moving into the pod's hex and 1 to move out again). If you are a poor 1-1-1-3 transport you are hosed since you are non-combat (-50% psi) and in fungus (-50% psi).

This is another reason to build MCC - grab the pod and run like heck!
Old August 9, 2003, 15:30   #7
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Sea pods that have an Isle of the Deep result in a -2 movement penalty even when they aren't in sea fungus.

(Save game the next time your about to pop a sea pod and move 2+ movement points remaining, and pop-reload-until you get both the IoD and something other than it)
Old August 9, 2003, 15:32   #8
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I never use transports for pod popping.
I tend to Trance Laser Foils (1-1t-4) and my own Isles of the Deep instead.

Quote:
Originally posted by Hydro
I think JDM is right. You can pop a pod in fungus if you have 1 move left. However, if you want to move out again you need 4 (3 being taken by moving into the pod's hex and 1 to move out again). If you are a poor 1-1-1-3 transport you are hosed since you are non-combat (-50% psi) and in fungus (-50% psi).

This is another reason to build MCC - grab the pod and run like heck!
Old August 9, 2003, 19:48   #9
Chaos Theory
Alpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Gaians
Emperor

Local Time: 06:02
If you don't pop a sea pod with a transport, you can't get units from the pod, and artifacts are a major reason to pop pods. Also, since receiving units becomes impossible, getting mindworms becomes more likely.
Old August 9, 2003, 20:02   #10
Lazerus
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStates
King

After I've built the MCC (or even if i miss it) I tend to build quite a few trance cruiser transports and go out hunting for all those AA's , usually try and have a few 1-1-4 gun foils hanging around to try and kill any IoD before it damages the transport aswell, saves time healing.
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.
Old August 9, 2003, 20:07   #11
Chaos Theory
Alpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Gaians
Emperor

Local Time: 06:02
I don't even wait that long. I make a few Tranceports (0-3t-3) and go searching the seas with those. I tend to avoid pods in fungus because then it's an even fight, unless I've gotten the Neural Amp. Just the pods not in fungus are worthwhile.
Old August 10, 2003, 14:12   #12
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

I believe that popping a sea unity pod in a non fungus tile uses 1 extra MP for a total of 2MPs (that may be saying the same thing as what was meant in the posts above where they call it a penalty of 2, but I wasn't sure whether or not they were counting the usual 1 MP); that would mean 4MP's in the case of fungus.

I once heard that IoD's head for (the nearest?) land after they are popped and so if I am worried, I try to go the opposite way. I don't know for sure if that rumor was true, but it seems to work well enough, although when I am out popping sea pods, I prefer to be on the offensive w/r the IoD's and Sealurks, rather than be vulnerable. If using an attack capable popper, I would try to have enough mp's left for an attack (unfortunately impossible in fungus without elite foils, cruisers or MCC). If you've got plenty of units doing this, the best approach is to pop the pods with an IoD or transport (so as to be able to get free units - unless you are out there looking for NL to fight or recruit) and to have an attack unit available to fight/recruit any NL that might appear.

While on the subject, does anyone know exactly how the game calculates distances for the sake of deciding which base would get the freebie build completion. I think I know that a base x tiles along the diagonals of the grid is deemed closer than one x tiles along a row or column, but I wonder about distances that are not directly lined up with the 8 natural directions.
Old August 11, 2003, 08:10   #13
UnityScoutChopper
Warlord

My experience is also that IoD's TEND to head for the nearest land, and also go the opposite way.

My strategy is:
- if no other choice, pop with a transport (if money is super-plentiful, I will upgrade all existing transport to the best available tranceports upon popping an IoD; never pop pods in fungus
- if available, use tranceports to pop pods, never popping in fungus
- but if attack units are available, pop pods using teams consisting of a transport (not a tranceport) and an attack unit, obviously empath if possible, thus creating a win/win situation.

USC
Old August 11, 2003, 13:17   #14
joncnunn
Emperor

Isles of the Deep can receive artifacts and are faster, especally in sea fungus.

Quote:
Originally posted by Chaos Theory
If you don't pop a sea pod with a transport, you can't get units from the pod, and artifacts are a major reason to pop pods. Also, since receiving units becomes impossible, getting mindworms becomes more likely.
Old August 11, 2003, 13:19   #15
joncnunn
Emperor

I don't know excatly regarding construction pods, but it's always appeared to be the closest base at a glance athough I didn't bother counting the tiles.
Old August 11, 2003, 18:28   #16
CEO Aaron
ACDG3 Morgan
King

Yes, it's always the nearest base that gets the rush-build. Has anyone ever gotten a construction pod result next to a base building a SP? I'm guessing there's something in the code to prevent this from happening.
Old August 11, 2003, 22:46   #17
Mead
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 MorganAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
King

UnityScoutChopper said

My strategy is:

- if available, use tranceports to pop pods, never popping in fungus
- but if attack units are available, pop pods using teams consisting of a transport (not a tranceport) and an attack unit, obviously empath if possible, thus creating a win/win situation.

USC [/QUOTE]

I agree.

If you have enough units, send 2 attack craft with the transport.

The transport pops the pod. If an IoD surfaces the first attack craft hits the IoD with indirect fire and then the second attack craft hits the damaged IoD with direct fire (perhaps capturing it if you have a positive planet rating). If you have airpower in range then you really only need 1 transport and 1 attack craft where the attack craft softens up any IoDs that appear with indirect fire and the airpower takes out the IoD. Note, this would mean that you don't get a chance to capture the IoD even if you have a positive planet rating. At least your aircraft can quickly return to the base to repair while your transport - attack team go about their business of popping more pods, because your attack craft is not damaged at all.

Using the above technique I don't mind popping pods even if they are in fungus.

Mead
Old August 12, 2003, 22:59   #18
gwillybj
Prince

Local Time: 03:02
Location: Eurytion Mining Camp: 100°C dayside, 100°F nightside.
Quote:
Originally posted by CEO Aaron
1. Yes, it's always the nearest base that gets the rush-build.
2. Has anyone ever gotten a construction pod result next to a base building a SP?
3. I'm guessing there's something in the code to prevent this from happening.
1. True.
2. Not that I can recall. If I ever did but didn't know it, see #3.
3. I agree. I suspect either:
(a) a pod that has a SP-in-progress in the nearest base is never a construction pod, or
(b) if it is a construction pod, the next-nearest base gets the benefit.