Old August 7, 2003, 14:25   #1
badams52
King

Local Time: 23:02
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quick question on the savegame mechanics...
One inherent problem with Civ III SP has been the ability to reload a .sav if the battles don't turn out as expected.

So since I've never joined a PBEM or the PtWDemo game, I was wondering what keeps teams from being able to do this on their turn? Is there some game mechanic that makes it impossible to do or do you guys have to rely on the honor system?

Just curious.
Old August 7, 2003, 14:32   #2
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 01:02
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I don't think anything PREVENTS it, but I think we are also all grown up enough to accept our mistakes...

At least I hope so.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old August 7, 2003, 15:09   #3
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 09:02
Re: Quick question on the savegame mechanics...
Quote:
Originally posted by badams52
One inherent problem with Civ III SP has been the ability to reload a .sav if the battles don't turn out as expected.

So since I've never joined a PBEM or the PtWDemo game, I was wondering what keeps teams from being able to do this on their turn? Is there some game mechanic that makes it impossible to do or do you guys have to rely on the honor system?

Just curious.
hi ,

well if you take a look at all the work and fixes that have been done in the patches , ......

but as long as there shall be fixes there shall be people who want to cheat , .....

but since the truth comes out in most cases , ......

have a nice day
Old August 7, 2003, 15:17   #4
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

In fact, I know of one instance inside GoW where this was a remote issue.

A member opened the sav, moved a unit, and posted a pic. We unanimously decided that this immediately had to become the official move IN-GAME as well despite any other plans we may have had for the unit in question. Since then, no other problems in GoW have come up.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old August 7, 2003, 17:48   #5
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Local Time: 03:02
Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
In fact, I know of one instance inside GoW where this was a remote issue.

A member opened the sav, moved a unit, and posted a pic. We unanimously decided that this immediately had to become the official move IN-GAME as well despite any other plans we may have had for the unit in question. Since then, no other problems in GoW have come up.
Yup - happened to us as well. In a different sort of way.

Regarding the combat thing - hmmm - could have used that at Arashi ..... (so - its been awhile - how many Pikes were in there anyway? Did we stand a chance of taking it? I sense we were very lucky with the RNG towards the end when we attacked Inchon - and almost took it. If that experience had happened earlier we may have been somewhat more daring with our attacks. )
Old August 7, 2003, 18:41   #6
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

At best (from the POV of Vox) you had a less than 5% chance of taking Arashi. At worst, on most turns you had a 0% chance of taking it with the initial round of combats. This is IIRC. There may have been a turn where you had better odds, Nathan would know.

Yes, we all rely on each other to play the game in the spirit of fairness. No reloads to avoid unfortunate results.
Old August 7, 2003, 21:25   #7
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
At best (from the POV of Vox) you had a less than 5% chance of taking Arashi. At worst, on most turns you had a 0% chance of taking it with the initial round of combats. This is IIRC.
and Should have turned to diplomacy much, much, much, much, much earlier.

Another 'should have.'

Old August 7, 2003, 22:48   #8
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

As long as we're talking should haves, I'm surprise that you sat on Immortals so long. Allowing the discovery of Feudalism even before attacking, nullifying the advantage...

A landing on bob earlier or an attack on GS earlier would have likely had a far better effect. Even with fewer numbers.

This is just my opinion, and intended as Constructive critisism (I know that's spelled wrong...)

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old August 8, 2003, 08:03   #9
Beta
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
As long as we're talking should haves, I'm surprise that you sat on Immortals so long. Allowing the discovery of Feudalism even before attacking, nullifying the advantage...

A landing on bob earlier or an attack on GS earlier would have likely had a far better effect. Even with fewer numbers.

This is just my opinion, and intended as Constructive critisism (I know that's spelled wrong...)
Yup, UnO. I can't disagree.
Old August 8, 2003, 10:23   #10
Hot Mustard
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty Python
King

Others have said this before, but the most amazing "should have" is that Vox didn't at least get into Monarchy before triggering their GA.
Old August 8, 2003, 14:35   #11
badams52
King

Ah, so it's the honor system.

/me makes a mental note to never join a PBEM game with friends who like to cheat.
Old August 8, 2003, 15:10   #12
HarryH
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG2 Sunshine
King

Quote:
Originally posted by dejon
Others have said this before, but the most amazing "should have" is that Vox didn't at least get into Monarchy before triggering their GA.
With the size of our army, most of our cities small and close to the capital, the difference between the governments was very small and Depostism actually won out. I setup a scenario and tested our situation for each of the governments, including during a GA, to find out.
Old August 8, 2003, 19:59   #13
Beta
lifer
Deity

Yah - so there!

(what is the other smiley that sticks out his tongue?)

Thanks Witt!

Yah - so there.

Last edited by Beta; August 8, 2003 at 22:44.
Old August 8, 2003, 20:03   #14
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 00:02
( : p )