Old August 7, 2003, 23:17   #1
DanQ
lifer
C4WDG Team ApolytonApolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 03:04
Local Date: November 2, 2010
"Behind The Code: W. Lee (Part 1/2)
The first part of the first "Behind The Code" interview set, where ex-Activisioners talk with Apolyton CS' Locutus about the Call To Power series and in particular the second title in light of its pending source code release, is now online.

Winnie "St. Swithin" Lee was on the Civilization: Call To Power design team along with James Farley, Jason Feffer and Brad Santos. On Call To Power II, she worked alongside Dan Hagerty and Tony Evans. In looking back, she discusses the highlights and low points of her gaming career in relation to her work on CTP. Blacklisted by the industry for two-and-a-half years running, Lee discusses the good and bad of people and events around her, her positive outclook on the pending release of the Call To Power II source code and why she cannot play the games she worked so hard to contribute on.

The second and final part of the one-on-one chat with Lee will be posted on August 21st. Comments on the first instalment are welcomed in this thread.

---------
Dan; Apolyton CS
Old August 8, 2003, 02:20   #2
Atahualpa
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Latin Lovers
Emperor

Local Time: 08:04
nice

nevertheless I'd like to hear more info on the actual development of C:CTP and CTP2. What problems did they run into with the code? What were the worst limitations and work arounds?
And finally what are the most basic things to consider when trying to work with the code? What is considered to be the "best" part of the CTP2 source?

ata
Old August 8, 2003, 06:37   #3
J Bytheway
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Thanks for that, to all involved .

I look forward eagerly to part 2 . You imply that there may be more such interviews - is that a certainty, or a hope?
Old August 8, 2003, 08:17   #4
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Indeed id like to hear what they had planned if they had time to do everything they wanted with the game. (besides the bits that can already be found in the txt files)
Old August 8, 2003, 09:27   #5
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Local Time: 07:04
Very interesting And in some small way makes up for the 'pulled' chat from the other day
Im sad that it appears St.Swithin was really roasted by the industry.....hmmm i think 'they' deserve a stars wars quote,
'The more systems[people,customers etc] you squeeze in your grip, the more will slip through your fingers'.

We have a thing called the 'Internet' these days guys, so you should all remember that ancient saying,
'What goes around, comes around'.
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.
Old August 8, 2003, 10:42   #6
ahenobarb
Prince

dp

Last edited by ahenobarb; August 8, 2003 at 13:22.
Old August 8, 2003, 12:35   #7
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 10:04
Wouter.
Old August 8, 2003, 14:39   #8
centrifuge
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 00:04
Good Stuff, Good Stuff
Old August 8, 2003, 15:41   #9
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 02:04
As usual, a sad story of a game rushed out the door before it is completed, but based on the problems that Activision had at the time, they had to ship before Christmas to recoup their investment. So it is not suprising that when initial sales probably did not meet the goals, they pulled the plug.

That's business...the key words being that Activsion realized that 'development was unprofitable' to them.

I'm still amazed that CTP2 actually sold 750,000 copies. I was under the impression that it was 1/10 of that figure.

Either way it does not come close to the civ3 numbers. Stick Sid's name on a box and you are guaranteed 1,000,000 right off the bat.
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old August 8, 2003, 17:34   #10
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 17:04
Winnie:

It is indeed a testament to the game that we have taken "your baby" and modified it. I for one stand and applaud the work you guys did. This game has had me keep coming back to it for 2.5 years now, and my fiance hates it, especially during the period I was writing SAP2 and WAW mods.

Thanks heaps.
Old August 8, 2003, 19:24   #11
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 10:04
Quote:
Stick Sid's name on a box and you are guaranteed 1,000,000 right off the bat.
Well, Sid deserved it. Colonization, Civ 1, Pirates... masterpieces.
Old August 8, 2003, 19:46   #12
DanQ
lifer
C4WDG Team ApolytonApolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by J Bytheway
[..]

You imply that there may be more such interviews - is that a certainty, or a hope?
It's a certainty.

----------
Dan; Apolyton CS
Old August 9, 2003, 09:27   #13
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

cool Thanks to all.
Old August 10, 2003, 00:21   #14
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 19:04
Wonderful Locutus and Dan

I eagerly await the next installment. Who are the other coders you are planning to inderview? I assume Ogre is one?
Old August 10, 2003, 23:50   #15
DanQ
lifer
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by Frozzy
[..] Who are the other coders you are planning to inderview?
Just wait and see...

-----------
Dan; Apolyton CS
Old August 11, 2003, 03:23   #16
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 01:04
Looks like I dropped by at a good time... Hey, Winnie the (Lemur) Poo(h)!!!!
I'm glad to hear from you guys again, though I am saddened by what has happened to you these last couple of years. Is there nothing you can do about the blacklisting? The stuff with the game seems trivial to being shut out of a career you love.
I still think about you from time to time when I remember the mostly ill-fated public beta testing for Ctp II. I can't remember the designer's name who tried to make that work, I am sure it was one of the guys you mentioned in the interview. Anyway, I knew it was a bad sign for the game when he couldn't even get the mail room to send out our copies of the beta until weeks had passed. It just seems that everything I ever hear about Activision's management style reeks of old farts who treat game marketing like selling soap. They took over the publishing for the new game I am working on now, and already you hear things on the Total War .org forums about the situation.
Anyway, I hope you can maybe get together with Richard Myers and discuss what it was like. He was let go right after the patch came out, but he contacted me by email and helped me out with some stuff when I was delving deep into the text and AI files. He was "unsatisfied" with how things were rushed out, too, and tried to help with my mod work for a couple of months.

Anyway, glad to hear from you, and I hope things get better in the future.

Wes Whitaker
Old August 11, 2003, 09:47   #17
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 09:04
Thanks for the kind words, all. And thanks to St Swithin for participating.

Good to see you posting again, Wes

Quote:
nevertheless I'd like to hear more info on the actual development of C:CTP and CTP2. What problems did they run into with the code? What were the worst limitations and work arounds?
I think at least the modding community should already have a fairly good picture of this

Quote:
And finally what are the most basic things to consider when trying to work with the code? What is considered to be the "best" part of the CTP2 source?
Quote:
Indeed id like to hear what they had planned if they had time to do everything they wanted with the game.
This was only part 1 of 2. Patience
Old August 12, 2003, 05:19   #18
Tamerlin
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 09:04
Very interesting interview... From my registration I read some stories about the game, its designers, Activision and its management. Before this interview I only had bits of informations, now I have a better idea of the whole picture.

The world of the companies is really a sad world...
Old August 12, 2003, 05:44   #19
Gilgamensch
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Good stuff

but this behaviour is nothing new.........if the boss didn't like you, you are getting blacklisted........And it is hard to get off this list.
Old October 1, 2003, 17:23   #20
Slax
Prince

Local Time: 02:04
Can someone give me a hint about what she said in the Tony hawk thread? It has been deleted.
Old October 19, 2003, 17:18   #21
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS

Hi WesW! Good to hear from you. Sorry, I didn't even see this thread until today.

Slax: I took down the Tony Hawk thing because after reading it, I thought maybe I was wallowing a little too deeply in my own crapulence.

Dale: Run with it. I'm sure you'll make something better out of it!!