Old August 8, 2003, 12:52   #31
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 10:04
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I see many of you took the horrible work of downloading mysterious video sized 40 megs.. kudos to you, I am pleased.. .

Legos are kind of expensive here, too bad.. this guy has lots of them! I had legos too, but not that many. I had an awsome medieval castle though, that was cool.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old August 8, 2003, 13:50   #32
muxec
Prince

It was fun, but nothing outrangeous.
Old August 8, 2003, 13:53   #33
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

Local Time: 09:04
That is very nice video Pekka, thanks for sharing it with us

- Paul Valery
Old August 8, 2003, 13:53   #34
Pekka
Emperor

No problem . Maybe it's not haha funny, but it's cool!
Old August 8, 2003, 13:57   #35
Koyaanisqatsi
King

Local Time: 03:04
Are legos still as expensive as they were in the late-80's to mid-90's? I had a bunch when I was really young, then went looking for them later (yes, I still would get them now, they're fun ) but any decent sized set cost >$150...kinda prohibitive for a "kid's" toy.
Old August 8, 2003, 14:01   #36
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

Edit: Got the answer already from yo asm thread, pic

Dear God!

- Paul Valery
Old August 8, 2003, 14:03   #37
Pekka
Emperor

No.. I'm broke . But I'm looking forward attending again next year! You?
Old August 8, 2003, 14:05   #38
laurentius
King

No, but I have AssemblyTV-channel open 24/7 so I can see all the compos and intros

Methinks asm is for kids

- Paul Valery
Old August 8, 2003, 14:08   #39
Pekka
Emperor

dv8ed, I don't know about the US, but in here they are. I think they are even more expensive than in late 80s?
I remember I was looking for a present to my friends baby, and I was browsing through toys and got caught with legos, since they had some new stuff I've never seen when I was a kid but when I saw the price? Uh oh.. A set of guys, there were maybe 6 different guys (like sailor etc) and something small I can't remember what it was but let's say few of those palm trees, nothing else, and it was 20 euros.. I mean for 6 little lego guys, and a tree? That's hella expensive! And what's a kid to do with few guys, it needs all kinds of stuff like houses and well things. It didn't matter, because the baby had 2 year birthday so legos were not the toy of choice anyway.
Old August 8, 2003, 14:08   #40
Pekka
Emperor

laurentius, is the AsmTV working properly? I tried it last night and it was kind of crappy picture and the sound was not synched at all!
Old August 8, 2003, 14:10   #41
laurentius
King

I mean Parties are fantastic, but asm has been mostly for quakers(the other ones) since 1997. There are other more cheap, pro, UG and smaller parties. Though Asm and only Asm has the absolute HUGE - factor in it. And the Vip area is cool

- Paul Valery
Old August 8, 2003, 14:14   #42
Pekka
Emperor

laurentius, I've never gone to any other parties. I just like Asm because it's so massive.. lots of things! You know just looking at that picture and having been there many times before makes me feel like a little kid .
I get all excited and can feel the atmosphere .

Yeah, quakers.. But you know quakers are kind of old school now and maybe they are now 'cool' people there. Maybe there are now CS kids, and then quakers whine about them all the time.. I don't know. These quakers and other players didn't ever bother me though, I don't care..
Old August 8, 2003, 14:14   #43
laurentius
King

As for AsmTV, it still has crappy picture, but sound seems to be synced properly enough. Damn, we live in the same city and yet we chat through texas-based www site Why don't you just visit finnish irc channel?

- Paul Valery
Old August 8, 2003, 14:18   #44
Pekka
Emperor

laurentius, I have visited there! The sound is n'sync now? Ok.. I might check it out later.

I kind of understand the people there though.. you know it's about those compos first and most, not playing quake.. and when there are bunch of sweaty 12y old kids in full mania after drinkign 7 liters of coke and not even caring about compos.. that's kind of stupid.
Old August 8, 2003, 14:18   #45
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 16:04
Cheers - that was fun..
Old August 8, 2003, 14:26   #46
laurentius
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Pekka

I kind of understand the people there though.. you know it's about those compos first and most, not playing quake.. and when there are bunch of sweaty 12y old kids in full mania after drinkign 7 liters of coke and not even caring about compos.. that's kind of stupid.
Excatly! Now, I'm not a fanatic purist with this but, I don't think it just as one huge LAN-party. I mean yeah, as you remember from kaunianen '95 ppl have always played games there, but some kind of age limit would be cool. Something like 15-16 yrs.

The problem is that Asm gets too much media attention. 12 yr old kids see that night shot you posted and of course they think it's the coolest thing on earth. It's the same thing with raves, with so much bad PR, all this nonsense about raves being "drugparties" etc. brings real whackos from e.g. korso into raves these days.

- Paul Valery
Old August 8, 2003, 14:28   #47
laurentius
King

Also, one veeeery important thing with parties is that ppl are old enough to drink. Check out some byterapers earliest parties from '87 and you'll understand Getting drunk with geeks is juat one , BIG part of all the fun

- Paul Valery
Old August 8, 2003, 14:33   #48
laurentius
King

And did you notice, we had a finnish apolyton meet yesterday @ helsinki. You should have been there too. It was much fun getting wasted with all the guys, sadly there was no girls around this time. It would be cool to meet IRL later this year. I'm looking forward in meeting you there.

- Paul Valery
Old August 8, 2003, 15:55   #49
Pekka
Emperor

you know I have read those byterapers stories. I remember one dude especially, who was like a legend, was in prison too I think for something.. .

Meet? Again? I thought the new meeting would be later even when I saw threads about it at CGN.. I mean the last one was like a month ago? I'm not a huge fan of meetings though, I used to go a lot and had fun, but I think it has kind of lost its whole point these days. But maybe I'll change my mind, I'm not anti-meetings exactly.

Asm is a great place to meet folks from the internet, since I belonged to few groups of some sort, and it was great to meet all the people easily there. It was whole lots of fun, and then with random people you knew from IRC, then you see them there and look at their ip's and what you know they're here! So, you just walk up there and it's all fun.. Hey, if you want to continue talking about this, take it to assembly thread .
Old August 8, 2003, 16:04   #50
Dom Pedro II
King

Local Time: 07:04
This is the kind of thing I would expect from the Japanese... and I blame their odd behavior on residual radiation...

But very funny!

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...
Old August 8, 2003, 20:14   #51
geeslaka
Prince

Local Time: 00:04
I still play with legos occasionally, so I'll hold onto that 40 MB thing until I find a player. I also have lots of lego catalogs and IIRC most sets were 200-300 pieces and 40-60 USD. Of course, I live in the US so they probably cost more in other countries.
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.